PS3 Slim Buzzing

blazsox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I recently bought a Slim model as my 60GB model died on me (I since paid $80 for a repair to get my info off the system). It's a 250GB Slim model standalone, no bundle package from BestBuy.

I unpacked it today to prepare to do a Data Transfer but I notice when my Slim turns on it makes a buzzing type noise near the power-source, vent area. At first I thought it was a clicking noise but it's definitely more of a buzzing sound.

When I first got the PS3 it looked like it was a returned product (which I HATE WHEN THIS HAPPENS), but gave the store the benefit of the doubt.

For you Slim owners, is this buzzing noise common? It does not occur when the system is on standby. Anyone else ever have this issue with their Slim?

[quote name='evilboi']no buzzing and fan sound. only 'cracking' sound when the slim is switch off after play and when just started not long[/QUOTE]

Mine started to do that as well... kinda shady workmanship imo lol

But yea, no buzzing on my slim either. Take it back ASAP, especially if you suspect it's already been returned by a previous owner

[quote name='x9248']Mine started to do that as well... kinda shady workmanship imo lol

But yea, no buzzing on my slim either. Take it back ASAP, especially if you suspect it's already been returned by a previous owner[/QUOTE]

alot said that this is due to expansion and contraction of the plastic inside/casing due to its so compact/slim

Definitely take it back. Mine doesn't even make a sound unless I am playing Red Dead Redemption. Apparently that game requires some mad loading compared to other games. Get a new one and move on.

I had the expansion and contraction issues with the plastic case even on my 40gb PS3 I had before I got the slim last year. It's definitely disconcerting, to say the least, as you're playing and all of a sudden you hear this loud CRACK.:whistle2:#

Then again I play it downstairs where it's a little cooler, so maybe that has something to do with it too.

Switched it out yesterday, new unit isnt buzzing. I looked at the one I returned and it looks like there was a fault with power cable (the part that went into the PS3).

Just completed the data transfer - a freakin 12 hour process (estimated time: 4 hours, 27 minutes...pfft yea).

Thanks for the input fellas.

Damn. How much stuff did you have on your old PS3's HDD that it was gonna take even 4 hours?

That was why when I got my slim last year I made sure I didn't want any of the save files on my 40gb's HDD, plus most other things I had I could just re-download from PSN or wherever.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Damn. How much stuff did you have on your old PS3's HDD that it was gonna take even 4 hours?

That was why when I got my slim last year I made sure I didn't want any of the save files on my 40gb's HDD, plus most other things I had I could just re-download from PSN or wherever.[/QUOTE]

Well my old PS3 had a custom 250GB HDD, after deleting all my music off it I had about 70GB of available space. So it transfered about 130-140GB. All the game installs and game saves I had.

Wow. That's A LOT of game saves and installs. Although the game installs I would've probably done after starting up the new PS3, since those you just need the disc or whatever for, rather than transfer everything over and waiting for the transfer.

Were some of the saves locked? I know EA games sometimes are locked.

bread's done
Back