PSN Cards now at Gamestop

Sgt Barone

CAGiversary!
Just picked up a $20 PSN card at my local Gamestop, and no tax! i don't know if they're at every one, but most people i've talked to are saying they have em in. they're on Gamestop.com too!

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason there is no tax is just like the reason there is no tax for gift cards. The PSN card is cash on a card, AKA a PSN Gift Card. They can't charge tax on them really.

I bought a few in late November. Don't know how long my store has had them for, but it has been a while.

My gamestop's had them in since the beginning of Dec. I bought 9 ($180) the week before Christmas with the credit gained with the HWV flips.

What is this doing in the deals section? It's not like a $20 card for $15.

They've been at Wally World since well before Thanksgiving.

[quote name='jmbreci']What is this doing in the deals section? It's not like a $20 card for $15.

They've been at Wally World since well before Thanksgiving.[/quote]

This is a good heads-up for those that have credit built up at GameStop.

Must've been a new employee...there's always tax on those cards (wii,xbox,psn). Got one the other day..$21 and some change.

[quote name='dennisb407']Must've been a new employee...there's always tax on those cards (wii,xbox,psn). Got one the other day..$21 and some change.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure these things potentially vary by state law. Whether or not you get charged tax would have nothing to do with an employee. Such a thing would be automatically programmed into the computer.

CAGs bought this w/o tax, are you using store credits? If yes, duh, your credits already "paid" taxes... If you don't believe me, buy a game with credit, you will not see taxes...

[quote name='Serpentor']CAGs bought this w/o tax, are you using store credits? If yes, duh, your credits already "paid" taxes... If you don't believe me, buy a game with credit, you will not see taxes...[/quote]

When I worked at a GS in NY customers who used a gift card were never charged tax. When I got down here and used my flip credit from HWV I was charged tax, so that "rule" doesn't always apply. It varies from state to state.

[quote name='mitch079']Not a deal, should be moved to the PS3 section or closed.[/quote]

Yeah, right around the same time all of the Wii/Wii Fit/Mario Kart/other hard to find items thread get closed or moved...

lol you cant get taxed. you're gonna get taxed for the product you buy on PSN I THINK shouldnt be taxed at all though since its digital

Wisconsin charges tax on XBLA cards and Wii Point cards, so I'd imagine they'll tax PSN cards as well. I'll never buy these at retail for that reason.

[quote name='rawdog805']anyone know if they have these at circuit city??[/quote]

I got one there myself. Ironically, I bought Gears of War 2 which was supposed to come with a free 1600 points card. They didn't have any that day so they put it on order. They didn't get any for about a month so I asked if I could get a PSN card instead on the first day I saw them there.

I've also seen them at Target (even advertised in one of the flyers) and saw one at GS a few weeks ago.

They should be pretty widely available now. Hopefully we start seeing deals like we see on 1600 point cards.

Hope to see deals on them soon, like Microsoft Points cards. Slow Sony, could of already seen deals on these cards by now if they launched them a year ago when they were in demand.

I was not taxed on a card in Texas. TX charges tax on digital distribution items, though. You are not charged tax on the purchase of PSN cards because you are buying something based on monetary value. XBL and Wii Points cards are for mystical points and not anything with a dollar sign in front of it.

Also, PSN charges tax at the time of purchase of your digital content. However, this varies state to state.

[quote name='outphase']I was not taxed on a card in Texas. TX charges tax on digital distribution items, though. You are not charged tax on the purchase of PSN cards because you are buying something based on monetary value. XBL and Wii Points cards are for mystical points and not anything with a dollar sign in front of it.

Also, PSN charges tax at the time of purchase of your digital content. However, this varies state to state.[/QUOTE]

I'm in Texas as well, and I've bought two $50 cards (one at Blockbuster and one at Target) and was charged tax both times.

[quote name='mikeyhegs']I don't know if you get charged tax in NY for the cards but I know you get charged tax for your downloads....I'd hate to get hit twice[/quote]

I bought two of them at BestBuy last friday, the cards were not taxed.

[quote name='rawdog805']anyone know if they have these at circuit city??[/quote]

The one on the Southside of Indy does in $20 and $50 denominations.

In CA, I have not been charged purchasing PSN cards, nor purchasing items online.

CA-- at this time-- does not tax digitally distributed content (at work they tell us to NEVER order media with software licenses because it causes the entire order to be taxed). I'm sure with the budget crisis we're in that loophole will be closed soon enough. :p

[quote name='Justin42']In CA, I have not been charged purchasing PSN cards, nor purchasing items online.

CA-- at this time-- does not tax digitally distributed content (at work they tell us to NEVER order media with software licenses because it causes the entire order to be taxed). I'm sure with the budget crisis we're in that loophole will be closed soon enough. :p[/quote]

Also in CA. Purchased a card (no tax) and bought a game (no tax). Why they could not make it flat rate instead of this xx.99 pricing I will never truly understand.

PA - no tax on PSN card purchased at Best Buy. XBLA and Wii points cards WERE charged tax in earlier purchases, but I haven't bought those at retail lately.

[quote name='Serpentor']CAGs bought this w/o tax, are you using store credits? If yes, duh, your credits already "paid" taxes... If you don't believe me, buy a game with credit, you will not see taxes...[/quote]
This varies state by state.

As does tax on the cards.

[quote name='rawdog805']anyone know if they have these at circuit city??[/QUOTE]
Saw them at one the other day. I think it's pretty clear these things are finally out everywhere.

[quote name='outphase']I was not taxed on a card in Texas. TX charges tax on digital distribution items, though. You are not charged tax on the purchase of PSN cards because you are buying something based on monetary value. XBL and Wii Points cards are for mystical points and not anything with a dollar sign in front of it.

Also, PSN charges tax at the time of purchase of your digital content. However, this varies state to state.[/quote]

I was going to use some of my credit at GameStop to buy a $20 PSN card at a store in Texas, and they were going to charge me sales tax on the card. I tried to explain that it should not be taxed because they charge TX state sales tax when you buy stuff in the PSN Store, but after about 30 seconds I realized that I might as well have been talking to the fucking wall, so I just walked out.

On principle, I'm not paying sales tax twice. The TX stores that sell these cards really need to get their shit together regarding sales tax.

Target, Best Buy, and I believe Blockbuster have them. If you have a Meijers, they have them also.

[quote name='refusedchaos']i never got charged tax on psn[/quote]
Same here.

I bought PAIN $9.99, got $10.01 left on my $20 wallet

bread's done
Back