PSN Off-Topic - Happy Thanksgiving Chumps and Chumpettes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I a cynical broken asshole if I'm getting sick of seeing #ALSIceBucketChallenge in every other headline/post on news & social media?

No away bro. Game is shittier than shit. Made it exactly far enough to not have to play anymore.

Are you playing TLoU tonight?
I could barely stand playing it at all, and Bums was getting everything for me lol. I still havent went back and got the one trophy I need for it.

Yeah I'll play, but I'm gonna suck. At least it will make the ps4 version better when I play it though.

Am I a cynical broken asshole if I'm getting sick of seeing #ALSIceBucketChallenge in every other headline/post on news & social media?
No, I'm sick of it too.

People are doing it more for notoriety than helping in my opinion.

If you don't do the ice challenge you're supposed to donate $100, if you do the ice challenge you don't (this is how it was explained to me.

Oh and in CA, since there's a water shortage rule in effect, they've been having people monitoring Facebook to fine people for wasting water. Some sorority did it and had to pony up like $20k on fines.

No its dumb. What does dumping ice water on you have anything to do with getting money for ALS research? How much money is it raising?

EDIT: I see E answered this for me. And that sorority sounds like they deserve the fines for being stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty good day, I got $15 in BB reward zone credit now, got a $5 Amazon gift card from Bing Rewards, got a $7 refund on an old Amazon local deal that I forgot about and the day isn't over. If anyone wants to shower me with more credit feel free.

We just started watching Weeds and I said that exact same thing. "I wish this was the mom from Gilmore Girls."

Only made it about 5 episodes in and gave up. Boring as shit and not funny at all.
My wife bought the first season for dirt cheap a few years back and I think I made it similarly far in. It's shit. I was reluctant to check out OitNB because of it but I'm glad I did because that show is pretty solid (even if the 2nd season wasn't that great for me).

Anyone other girly shows you guys want me to weigh in on?

No, I'm sick of it too.

If you don't do the ice challenge you're supposed to donate $100, if you do the ice challenge you don't (this is how it was explained to me.
Whoa, this makes the fact that I noticed (i.e., didn't watch) a Youtube video of Robert Downey, Jr. doing that challenge even worse. Isn't the guy stinking rich?

My wife bought the first season for dirt cheap a few years back and I think I made it similarly far in. It's shit. I was reluctant to check out OitNB because of it but I'm glad I did because that show is pretty solid (even if the 2nd season wasn't that great for me).

Pretty Little Liars

A developer at Puppygames (Titan Attacks!, Revenge of the Titans) is starting to go full-Phil Fish.

http://www.puppygames.net/blog/?p=1574

An interesting (and long!) read. Easy to understand where he's coming from, but I think he probably could have gone about it better.
I think I'm probably one of the bigger supporters of indie games around here (I even loved Proteus!), but most of their games are just retro games with very slight tweaks. I think they are falling into the trouble of overvaluing their own games. I understand that as a dev it would be hard to say "my game isn't worth 10 even though that's what I need". If you start the games at a lower price, more people will buy. People impulse buy at 5, but not very often at 10.

Oh and as far as bundles go, if you don't want a history of being bundled, don't put your games in bundles. People who buy up all these bundles pay attention and know which studios haven't put any games in a bundle. You can set your fans expectations by not bundling your games.

I hate seeing devs rant about things like price and bundles as if they are being forced to follow suit. At some point their is a choice, so you can't really place all the blame on the consumer. Oh well. Maybe in the end this will help them get sales

I don't have Facebook or cable and hate watching or reading the news and I basically just listen to sports radio / baseball games and I am sick of it. I have limited exposure and I feel like I hear about it 30 times a day.

[quote name="Equistina" post="12018855" timestamp="1408394070"]No, I'm sick of it too.

Oh and in CA, since there's a water shortage rule in effect, they've been having people monitoring Facebook to fine people for wasting water. Some sorority did it and had to pony up like $20k on fines.[/quote]

Nothing like pure pressure to get people to do something for people in need. Aren't all the people that get drenched now assholes for preferring to get wet then donate? I think you have to do both?

No its dumb. What does dumping ice water on you have anything to do with getting money for ALS research? How much money is it raising?

EDIT: I see E answered this for me. And that sorority sounds like they deserve the fines for being stupid.
They've actually raised like 7 million more than they raised in the same time period last year. But again, it's all pure pressure/social media needy motivated.

(I'm a cynical asshole confirmed)

A developer at Puppygames (Titan Attacks!, Revenge of the Titans) is starting to go full-Phil Fish.

http://www.puppygames.net/blog/?p=1574

An interesting (and long!) read. Easy to understand where he's coming from, but I think he probably could have gone about it better.
Thanks for that. I definitely see where he's coming from too. Pretty interesting (and depressing) read.

I had no idea that Steam could ignore the pricing a developer set and make the price whatever they want to make it. Who sets the prices on PSN games? Sony or the game developer?

No you don't have to donate you can just get drenched.  It raises awareness so it is all good.  As you said they have raised a ton more money this year then last.

A friends brother died at like 38 recently to this disease.  

So people really feel pressured to donate?  These people do know ALS isnt a new disease right?  I mean where the fuck are these people every other year?  If these people are that easy to pressure into donating to something I need to figure out what fund I can start.

No you don't have to donate you can just get drenched. It raises awareness so it is all good. As you said they have raised a ton more money this year then last.

A friends brother died at like 38 recently to this disease.
I don't mean to diminish or downplay the seriousness of the disease. It just seems to me that as this goes on, more and more people are doing it to get in on the trend or because their publicist told them to do it. The videos keep getting more "creative" and some people seem to be treating it more as a way to raise awareness of themselves instead of the charity and disease.

I don't mean to diminish or downplay the seriousness of the disease. It just seems to me that as this goes on, more and more people are doing it to get in on the trend or because their publicist told them to do it. The videos keep getting more "creative" and some people seem to be treating it more as a way to raise awareness of themselves instead of the charity and disease.
Yeah there are people who only do shit to post to their Facebook or Twitter feed. If it helps a good cause I don't really care.

I could barely stand playing it at all, and Bums was getting everything for me lol. I still havent went back and got the one trophy I need for it.

Yeah I'll play, but I'm gonna suck. At least it will make the ps4 version better when I play it though.
Hey you've helped me get some trophies so I didn't mind using my upgraded character to grab the ones your missing. I don't think I can do the 1 character trophy so you'll have to do that yourself.

So people really feel pressured to donate? These people do know ALS isnt a new disease right? I mean where the fuck are these people every other year? If these people are that easy to pressure into donating to something I need to figure out what fund I can start.
Farmcrest pill fund - help all those that need painkillers to feel "normal". Either donate $1,000 or take a bunch of pills all at once without knowing what your taking.

I can't wait to see what trendy disease/viral humiliation combo the marketing geniuses come up with next.

This concludes my cynical asshole rants for the day. Enjoy the veal.

Sure certain people are doing it because they are narcissists. However, it is still causing a lot of money to be raised for research for a disease that many people barely even knew existed. How many kids have ever heard of Lou Gehrig?

I guess I am more of a cynic for social media in general. I am glad to see that all the inherent narcissism is at least serving a good purpose.

Yo guys. You don't dump the ice to get out of or avoid giving a donation. You do it because it's a fun, easy, harmless way to raise awareness. If you dump the ice, you're still supposed to donate. Most people say $10 if you dump the ice, $100 if you don't. But don't be a dick and just donate what you feel comfortable with. What I hate is the people on FB who post email confirmations of how much they donated. That's just showing off with "Hey look how much I did!"

And I have a ton of friends who have donated and had no idea what ALS was until this summer. Some people just don't know about a disease until it has an impact on their lives. Something like this gets the word out and gets people to take a second and learn about something they may not have been aware of.

But really, being a negative nancy about this just makes you look like a real DB.

I can't wait to see what trendy disease/viral humiliation combo the marketing geniuses come up with next.

This concludes my cynical asshole rants for the day. Enjoy the veal.
Veal-With-It.jpg

(I have no idea what this is from.)

Sure certain people are doing it because they are narcissists. However, it is still causing a lot of money to be raised for research for a disease that many people barely even knew existed. How many kids have ever heard of Lou Gehrig?

I guess I am more of a cynic for social media in general. I am glad to see that all the inherent narcissism is at least serving a good purpose.
Good point. At least the huge raging boner everyone has for themselves is being used for good this one time (until the trend wears off).

That's probably because in Weeds the main character is front and center and the focus of the show, whereas in OitNB, the focus is more equally split among the main character and the supporting characters (slightly weighted more to the supporting characters). If the series was 100% focused on Piper and Pie fucker it would likely be similarly insufferable.

I initially passed on the remake of Nikita but after the first season got such good reviews I started watching it and after the pilot binge watched to catch up with live for S2.Great series all the way through as after each season long arc it was able to change enough to keep things fresh.

Yo guys. You don't dump the ice to get out of or avoid giving a donation. You do it because it's a fun, easy, harmless way to raise awareness. If you dump the ice, you're still supposed to donate. Most people say $10 if you dump the ice, $100 if you don't. But don't be a dick and just donate what you feel comfortable with. What I hate is the people on FB who post email confirmations of how much they donated. That's just showing off with "Hey look how much I did!"

And I have a ton of friends who have donated and had no idea what ALS was until this summer. Some people just don't know about a disease until it has an impact on their lives. Something like this gets the word out and gets people to take a second and learn about something they may not have been aware of.

But really, being a negative nancy about this just makes you look like a real DB.
I think what bothers me the most is the endless number of (non-famous) people I see copying this stuff, that don't even know what it's for (and I know they're not donating a dime to anything). My Facebook news feed has been overrun with this stuff.

I guess typing that made me realize that I should probably purge my FB friends list.

fuck no dude. It's probably one of the most asinine social media stunts I can ever recall, in the fact that it's not really a stunt at all. Also, I doubt that most the people doing it have any idea what ALS is.

again though, no matter how terrible we think it might be... it has raised 15 million dollars where as previous years only raise 1.5 million

Thanks for that. I definitely see where he's coming from too. Pretty interesting (and depressing) read.

I had no idea that Steam could ignore the pricing a developer set and make the price whatever they want to make it. Who sets the prices on PSN games? Sony or the game developer?
I've never heard that from Steam. Xbox used to set prices for a while. I'm pretty sure Sony and dev/pubs just have a conversation about the price they think is right for the game. I'm not sure who gets final say if they can't agree. Probably Sony.

Phil Fish said he wanted Fez to be $15 and Xbox made it only be $10.

As far as the marketing genius thing that has been brought up a couple of times, it was started by the father of a 29 year old man with the disease.  At 29, he already can not even communicate without a specialized computer and can not care for himself at all.  

As a father of 2 children who both have a medical issue, I wish I had come up with this thing to help raise money for research into that.  Their issue is nowhere near as depressing as what that man is watching his kid suffer through.

Yo guys. You don't dump the ice to get out of or avoid giving a donation. You do it because it's a fun, easy, harmless way to raise awareness. If you dump the ice, you're still supposed to donate. Most people say $10 if you dump the ice, $100 if you don't. But don't be a dick and just donate what you feel comfortable with. What I hate is the people on FB who post email confirmations of how much they donated. That's just showing off with "Hey look how much I did!" And I have a ton of friends who have donated and had no idea what ALS was until this summer. Some people just don't know about a disease until it has an impact on their lives. Something like this gets the word out and gets people to take a second and learn about something they may not have been aware of. But really, being a negative nancy about this just makes you look like a real DB.
You're right. My shitty mood lately has me easily annoyable and I got all selfish ranty. I'm all for curing diseases. However they come up with to get money is a good way as long as they're not stealing or manipulating or hurting anyone.

I think I'm probably one of the bigger supporters of indie games around here (I even loved Proteus!), but most of their games are just retro games with very slight tweaks. I think they are falling into the trouble of overvaluing their own games. I understand that as a dev it would be hard to say "my game isn't worth 10 even though that's what I need". If you start the games at a lower price, more people will buy. People impulse buy at 5, but not very often at 10.

Oh and as far as bundles go, if you don't want a history of being bundled, don't put your games in bundles. People who buy up all these bundles pay attention and know which studios haven't put any games in a bundle. You can set your fans expectations by not bundling your games.

I hate seeing devs rant about things like price and bundles as if they are being forced to follow suit. At some point their is a choice, so you can't really place all the blame on the consumer. Oh well. Maybe in the end this will help them get sales
I agree.

Remember I'm the guy that lives in a world of puppies and rainbows and I'd love every game ever made to succeed. Obviously that isn't going to happen in reality though. There's no doubt these devs are over-valuing their games. I enjoyed Revenge of the Titans for a few levels on PC, but then I moved on. There's plenty of great tower defense games on Steam, consoles, and even mobile, and I'm sure some of them cost a lot less than Revenge of the Titans. I'm sure they work really really hard on their games, but they are over-valuing them as if they've created something amazing and revolutionary, which they clearly haven't.

This is the same developer who is charging $13 on PSN for a glorified Space Invaders clone. When Titan Attacks released a few months back I thought it was only going to be about $5 based on the look of the game and was shocked when they revealed the price. Who wants to pay $13 for a Space Invaders clone?

The situation reminds me a lot of Ethan: Meteor Hunter. The devs came out and said the game sold like shit and they were super disappointed and sad. They played the "poor us" card more than the "fuck all of you" card that puppygames is going with, which I think is a better way to go. Begging for money usually works out better then screaming "fuck you, you know you have some money. Give it to me you greedy fuck."

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back