PSN Summer Sale 2011 starts 7/12 30% - 50% off 11 games

[quote name='aaronmills']I have Telltale games for both my PC and PS3 and actually enjoy them more on my PS3 since I can sit on a couch and play them on a big screen. I've played through Sam & Max, Monkey Island and am halfway through BttF.

The controls are just fine. You move around with the left analog stick, the shoulder buttons are used to scroll through objects around you that you can interact with, and the X, square, triangle and circle buttons are either used as action buttons or open up inventory, a hint system and other things. It's extremely user-friendly.

I paid full price for BttF and it was well worth it. For less than half that, you shouldn't hesitate to get it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input. I wanted to play it on my tv as well (don't have a media center/gaming PC yet) and was just concerned about laggy controls. Glad to hear there aren't any issues, I'll jump on it for PS3.

[quote name='dramasetter929']Scott Pilgrim is awesome if you into the movies and books. Its an excellent homage to old school games like River City Ransom on the NES. IMHO one of the best PSN arcade game available.[/QUOTE]

I loved the books and movies, and I love old school brawlers. It obviously seems like a no-brainer for me at $5. My only concern was the lack of online multiplayer since all my buddies are either out of state or a good hour away, and I doubt I'll be able to get my wife to join in like she does in LBP. Seems like an insane thing to not include since even X-Men Arcade has it.

[quote name='Curleh Mustache']Too bad they don't have any PSP games on sale :(.[/QUOTE]

Darkstalkers and Power Stone are $5 each right now.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I highly doubt it'll come out on disc for the PS3, or even the PC for that matter[/QUOTE]

Hmm . . . that's a shame. I was looking to limit the load on my hdd. Might have to consider this one again then.

[quote name='theflicker']Hmm . . . that's a shame. I was looking to limit the load on my hdd. Might have to consider this one again then.[/QUOTE]

Well worst case you can just download the episodes one at a time, play through them and delete them off your HDD. They should still be in the store to download if you ever want to play through all of them again. You can also back them up to an external HDD. Personally, it looks like the type of games you'd play through once and then be done with them.

[quote name='theflicker']It'd be cool if it supported Move. As is, I think I'll hold out for a disc release.[/QUOTE]

Aside from the first season on wii none of them have been disc releases. All the sam and max's have disc releases but that is on pc only.

[quote name='Ardrid']I'm looking at adding Scott Pilgrim to my anticipated haul of Pac-Man and PJ Shooter 2. Can anyone tell me how Pilgrim is as a purely single-player experience?[/QUOTE]

I loved both the movie and the comic books and like you, I was interested in SP for its single-player potential. As a single-player experience it's fine but just letting you know that the difficulty is a real pain until you get leveled up. That means a lot of busting your ass to get through a level only to be taken down by the boss at the end and having to start over. I played the first level at least 3 times just to be able to beat that boss, but then I made it to level 4 with little problem. I actually haven't beaten the game yet because of the difficulty spike. I imagine playing the game with more people around probably motivates you to restart a level and keep going. But for me, I lost interest in replaying levels over and over.

[quote name='metallicoholic']I loved both the movie and the comic books and like you, I was interested in SP for its single-player potential. As a single-player experience it's fine but just letting you know that the difficulty is a real pain until you get leveled up. That means a lot of busting your ass to get through a level only to be taken down by the boss at the end and having to start over. I played the first level at least 3 times just to be able to beat that boss, but then I made it to level 4 with little problem. I actually haven't beaten the game yet because of the difficulty spike. I imagine playing the game with more people around probably motivates you to restart a level and keep going. But for me, I lost interest in replaying levels over and over.[/QUOTE]
That is a big ouch for me. I was seriously considering this game but I don't want to have to grind levels just to beat it. Especially since it doesn't have online. This will be a pass for me now.

I'm not a Plus member but I have my eye on Pixeljunk Shooter 2 and Dead Space Extraction (have to borrow a friend's PS Move and try that method out). Any Dead Space fans that can attest to its worthiness? :)

Well since I am not getting Scott Pilgrim, I was wondering how Hard Corps was and also how Risk Factions was.

Those two I am vaguely interested in.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Well since I am not getting Scott Pilgrim, I was wondering how Hard Corps was and also how Risk Factions was.

Those two I am vaguely interested in.[/QUOTE]

Hard Corps is fun if you liked the old contras. There is power ups that you can get to make you character stronger. They stay with you in that mode (haven't played in a long time.. I forget what the mode is called.) There is also a mode where you play without power ups you buy. I would say there is memorization involved and having decent twitch reflexes would be good to have. I got a lot of hours out of it and would recommend it if you like contra series. Also if you like 2d platform run and gun games.

As for me I'm in for pac-man most likely.

Loaded up on a couple of amazon PSN card codes (so much easier than having to stop somewhere to buy physical cards or waiting for them to be shipped) in anticipation of the sale and plan to pick up.

bttf 9.79

Hard Corps: Uprising 7.34

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX 4.89

PixelJunk Shooter 2 4.89

Scott Pilgrim 4.89

total: $31.80

What sold me on Hard Corp is the Rising mode which lets you upgrade and customize your character as opposed to the alternate of the standard contra arcade mode.

[quote name='wongjp']I'm not a Plus member but I have my eye on Pixeljunk Shooter 2 and Dead Space Extraction (have to borrow a friend's PS Move and try that method out). Any Dead Space fans that can attest to its worthiness? :)[/QUOTE]
I love the Dead Space franchise and so I really liked Extraction. BUT, I do not have Move and was originally planning on doing mutliple playthroughs in the higher difficulties. The controller just isnt good enough for that though, so I would say if you have Move it is even better.

[quote name='wongjp']I'm not a Plus member but I have my eye on Pixeljunk Shooter 2 and Dead Space Extraction (have to borrow a friend's PS Move and try that method out). Any Dead Space fans that can attest to its worthiness? :)[/QUOTE]

I played Extraction on the Wii and loved it.

[quote name='Heavenlywind']Hard Corps is fun if you liked the old contras. There is power ups that you can get to make you character stronger. They stay with you in that mode (haven't played in a long time.. I forget what the mode is called.) There is also a mode where you play without power ups you buy. I would say there is memorization involved and having decent twitch reflexes would be good to have. I got a lot of hours out of it and would recommend it if you like contra series. Also if you like 2d platform run and gun games.

As for me I'm in for pac-man most likely.[/QUOTE]
Oh fantastic. I like the old contras but I always felt my ass would just get handed to me. Maybe with this new upgrade system, I will enjoy it better. I will stop for a $20 card tomorrow before work then.

Save yourself the trouble of going outside and order the PSN card on Amazon. They have digital codes for them now. And if you buy the $20 or $50 codes, you save a penny compared to retail!

[quote name='Kaoz']fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu my PS+ ends the day before this. They did a nice job convincing me plus was definitely not worth it over the past month, then they finally throw out a decent deal the day after my sub ends.[/QUOTE]

That does suck. I had a funny feeling they would do something like this, so I waited until a couple days before the program expired to sign up for +. :applause:

I may grab a couple things, I recall the Risk demo on XBLA was pretty good...just didn't want to pay full price.

If you're planning to play with a Move controller, I recommend that you try the demo first. I experienced constant loss of cursor calibration in the demo.

If you have Plus you MUST get Shank and Swarm. These are a STEAL at $5. They are still $15 each on Xbox Live! I'm getting these as well as Back to the Future and Pixel Junk 2. I'd get more but I already have them on XBLA.

Having played both the Wii and PS3 versions I can say that the controller is NOT the way to go with this game. It was built for Wii/Move controls and any other way screws up the experience.

I am not sure its worth the $$$ if you already have it for the Wii honestly. The only difference is the graphics and even then its a slight upgrade, nothing great.

So...if you have it for the Wii just keep that and if you dont have it at all then make sure your going to get the Move controller or already have it.

[quote name='ElektroDragon']If you have Plus you MUST get Shank and Swarm. These are a STEAL at $5. They are still $15 each on Xbox Live! I'm getting these as well as Back to the Future and Pixel Junk 2. I'd get more but I already have them on XBLA.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for mentioning how great Swarm is as I saw others saying they were going to get it, but until I read that and then went and read some other reviews about it, I wasnt going to get it. But it sounds great. Although I will say I doubt it will be $5, i think thats a mistake and it is supposed to be $7 somethng since it is normally $15.

[quote name='dmdragon']Aside from the first season on wii none of them have been disc releases. All the sam and max's have disc releases but that is on pc only.[/QUOTE]

I have the first two seasons of Sam and Max on Wii . . .

Well, shit.
I rushed home and saw that the 1 year plus 3 months was still listed and purchased it, but when I deleted a Plus game and re-downloaded it, it doesn't appear that I was credited the 3 months.

I first purchased it 10.7.10 during the 1yr & 3mo deal, and had it expiring at 1.13.12 and with the 2 free months from the outage it was extended to 3.13.10.
After the purchase I just made, it is only 3.13.13...:cry:

Anyone know the proper channels in order to resolve this?

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Sale is live. Just bought BttF! :)[/QUOTE]

Yay! going to go to town when I get home! Pixel Junk FTW!!!

I don't know if it was already mentioned but I just noticed that the DLC is on sale as well for the summer sale games. The regular price on it is discounted and then it's discounted even further for PS+ members. So if you guys want any DLC for these games, it's something to keep in mind.

[quote name='Muthafodder']Well, shit.
I rushed home and saw that the 1 year plus 3 months was still listed and purchased it, but when I deleted a Plus game and re-downloaded it, it doesn't appear that I was credited the 3 months.

I first purchased it 10.7.10 during the 1yr & 3mo deal, and had it expiring at 1.13.12 and with the 2 free months from the outage it was extended to 3.13.10.
After the purchase I just made, it is only 3.13.13...:cry:

Anyone know the proper channels in order to resolve this?[/QUOTE]

Well, the bonus ended today and if the sale is live, that means the store got updated. Looks like you waited too long.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Well, the bonus ended today and if the sale is live, that means the store got updated. Looks like you waited too long.[/QUOTE]

Guess I'll just dispute the charge...meh.

[quote name='illmatic21']I don't know if it was already mentioned but I just noticed that the DLC is on sale as well for the summer sale games. The regular price on it is discounted and then it's discounted even further for PS+ members. So if you guys want any DLC for these games, it's something to keep in mind.[/QUOTE]
I had forgotten Hard Corp had 3 paid DLC characters...
from a cursory look up Sayuri is much more recommended than the other 2 DLC characters (she has a bad ass sword).

Found a summary of the Scott Pilgrim DLC, sounds like it'd be worth it.
http://30ninjas.com/blog/scott-pilgrim-gets-knives-chau-dlc-pack-in-november

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Good choice my friend. Amazing game. Best 2D game this gen IMO[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I love the multiplayer in contra/metal slug games.. so I figure I can't go wrong with this since it has online co-op and the upgrading system looks pretty cool.

[quote name='illmatic21']I don't know if it was already mentioned but I just noticed that the DLC is on sale as well for the summer sale games. The regular price on it is discounted and then it's discounted even further for PS+ members. So if you guys want any DLC for these games, it's something to keep in mind.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, probably wouldn't have known about the DLC being on sale if I didn't see your post..

[quote name='guardian_owl']I had forgotten Hard Corp had 3 paid DLC characters...

Found a summary of the Scott Pilgrim DLC, sounds like it'd be worth it
http://30ninjas.com/blog/scott-pilgrim-gets-knives-chau-dlc-pack-in-november[/QUOTE]

Yeah, can't really go wrong for $1.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Then you get banned from PSN. Take the L.[/QUOTE]

On the phone with them now...see how this turns out.
Bunch of canned crap...

Well, they really stick to their guns.
Finally, a supervisor mentioned the refund process, but it isn't guaranteed.
And I'd much rather not drop any more money on the PSN if it isn't reversed.
I didn't even need it...and they don't seem to care.
Shame...I was really wanting a lot of these games and I've been very faithful to Sony over the years...this just stings a little.

Don't want to get banned, now I'm worried a refund might trigger that...

fuuuuu.gif

Why in the hell would they still advertise this if it isn't available...it confirmed the three months all the way through the checkout process...

I'm sorry Muthafoodder...in the end, just take it for what it is, shrug it off...I mean, its only 3 months free over a years time.

In the meantime, I was able to purchase Burnout (I know, old deal, but God I forgot how awesome this game is), Shank, Scotty Pilgrim, Chime, Hardcorps, and I still have about 20 of credit...

I come to the CAG members for assistance.

Do I bother to grab any of these?

Swarm
Pixel 2 (never player Shooter 1 or any of the other Pixel Junk games, just the demos)
Back to the Future (I honestly don't even remember the BTTF movies, nor have I really played any of the telltale games)

Are those games worth the purchase, when I can buy Outland or Beyond Good and Evil for 10 bucks, or potentially save the 20 for when those games or others go on sale?

I'm sorry Muthafoodder...in the end, just take it for what it is, shrug it off...I mean, its only 3 months free over a years time.

In the meantime, I was able to purchase Burnout (I know, old deal, but God I forgot how awesome this game is), Shank, Scotty Pilgrim, Chime, Hardcorps, and I still have about 20 of credit...

I come to the CAG members for assistance.

Do I bother to grab any of these?

-Swarm
-Pixel 2 (never player Shooter 1 or any of the other Pixel Junk games, just the demos)
-Back to the Future (I honestly don't even remember the BTTF movies, nor have I really played any of the telltale games)

Are those games worth the purchase, when I can buy Outland or Beyond Good and Evil for 10 bucks, or potentially save the 20 for when those games or others go on sale?

PixelJunk Shooter 1 and 2 are both amazing. Def worth $5. Highly recommend Outland and Beyond Good & Evil as well.

I may grab BttF, demo seemed interesting. Anyone else seeing Swarm at 6.99 as the Plus price in store, or just me?

nope, not just you. Its def not 5 bucks.

I'm with ya Lysergio, BG&E is one of my favorite games of all time (and I hold some of hte foundest memories playing it years ago) and the demo for Outland was absolutely incredible.

Everyone praises the Back to the Future game, but, as a non-remembering nor hardcore BTTF fan, I don't know if it will hold the same appeal to me.

I believe they originally messed up the original price of Swarm in the blog post. It's $14.99 not $9.99 regularly so the $6.99 price is correct

edit: If anything, I'm surprised it's not $7.34 like the other games that are originally $14.99

bread's done
Back