PSN Weekly Deals - 4/10: Rockstar Sale! $20 Owlboy, $14 Aegis Defenders, $10 Thimbleweed Park, & More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
Index

Current Deals - Store Updates Every Tuesday, Usually By 8 AM PT/11 AM ET
Visit The Web PS Store

Key:
N - New This Week
Ending Soon
$XX.XX - Price for All PSN Members
$XX.XX - Price for PS+ Members

April’s PS+ Games - Ends 5/1/18

:ps4:  :ps3:  :vita: 99Vidas

:ps4:  :ps3: In Space we Brawl

:ps4: Mad Max

:ps4:  :ps3:  :vita: Q*Bert Rebooted

:ps3: Toy Home

PSVR  :ps4: TrackMania Turbo

Pre-orders - Out at 12 AM ET/9 PM PT

:ps4: Dragon's Crown Pro - $44.99 - 10% Off - Pre-order ends 12/31

:ps4: Guns of Icarus Alliance: PS4 Edition - $11.24 - 25% Off - Pre-order ends 5/1

:ps4: The Swords of Ditto - $17.99 - 10% Off - $15.99 - 20% Off - Pre-order ends 12/31/18

:ps4: To Leave - $15.99 - 20% Off - Pre-order ends 4/24

:ps4: Trailblazers - $23.99 - 20% Off - Pre-order ends 5/8

:ps4: We Happy Few - $50.99 - 15% Off - Pre-order ends 12/31
:ps4: We Happy Few Digital Deluxe - $67.99 - 15% Off - Pre-order ends 12/31

Cross Buy

:ps4:  :ps3:  :vita: Blue-Collar Astronaut - $4.99 - 50% Off - $1.99 - 80% Off - Ends 5/29

:ps4:  :vita:  Rogue Aces - $10.39 - 20% Off - Ends 4/25

:ps4:  :ps3:  :vita: Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove - $19.99 - 20% Off - Ends 4/18

PS4 - [customspoiler="PSVR Note"]PSVR :ps4: means the game is playable with or without PSVR.[/customspoiler]

Aegis Defenders - $13.99 - 30% Off - Ends 4/24 N

AeternoBlade - $7.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30

Anima: Game of Memories - $11.99 - 40% Off - Ends 4/25

Anoxemia - $4.79 - 40% Off - $3.99 - 50% Off - Ends 4/25

Castles - $2.99 - 40% Off - $2.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/25

Crazy Strike Bowling EX - $6.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30

Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow Comes Today - $8.99 - 55% Off - $6.79 - 66% Off - Ends 4/25

Demon's Crystals - $2.99 - 40% Off - $2.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/25

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition - $19.99 - 50% Off - Ends 4/24

Ginger: Beyond the Crystal - $8.99 - 55% Off - $6.79 - 66% Off - Ends 4/25

Heart & Slash - $8.99 - 55% Off - $6.79 - 66% Off - Ends 4/25

Injustice 2 - $23.99 - 40% Off - Ends 4/24

Injustice 2 Legendary Edition - $47.99 - 40% Off - Ends 4/24

Nightmare Boy - $10.39 - 20% Off - Ends 4/25

Streets of Red: Devil's Dare Deluxe - $7.19 - 20% Off - Ends 4/26

PSVR Time Carnage - $15.99 - 20% Off - Ends 4/24

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Deluxe Edition - $27.99 - 60% Off - Ends 4/24

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Gold Edition - $32.99 - 60% Off - Ends 4/24

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Standard Edition - $23.99 - 60% Off - Ends 4/24

Vostok Inc - $8.99 - 40% Off - $7.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/25

Wanderjahr - $4.99 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30

Zenith - $8.99 - 55% Off - Ends 4/25

PS3

Wicked Monsters Blast! HD - $4.99 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30 N

PS2 Classics - PS3 Only

N/A

Vita PS TV Compatibility

AeternoBlade - $7.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30 N

Wanderjahr - $4.99 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30 N

PSP - Vita and PS TV Compatibility

N/A

PS1 Classics - PS3/PSP Compatible - Vita and PS TV Compatibility

N/A

Minis - PS3/PSP Compatible - Vita and PS TV Compatibility
N/A

PS4 Add-ons

Constructor

Crossout

Horizon Zero Dawn

Orcs Must Die! Unchained

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands

Warframe

PS3 Add-ons

N/A

Vita Add-ons

N/A

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to provide feedback for ways to improve this thread. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Decided to pick up Marvel Puzzle Quest, Virginia, Dear Esther: Landmark Edition, and Never Alone (Kisima Ingitchuna). Just wanted some different games to play because I already have plenty of retail games.

Yeah I am gonna grab all these as well minus Puzzle 4k. Even though Albedo is supposedly terrible the trailer for it on the store page kinda sold me lol, it looks like a so bad its good kinda thing.
Yeah, I don't mind a bad game that only takes a couple hours to Plat though so I can make up a little for some of the games I start and never finish. However, if Dying Reborn is horrible I doubt I will do it a second time on Vita.

Amazes me that people buy and play games just for trophies/achievements. I don’t even have time to play the games I like let alone games that I don’t like just for digital recognition. To each their own I guess.

All of the deals are in the OP now. Had to move more to the second post than I've ever had, so this is a big sale. Also added a few new items to the list that I either missed or were added today, which was mostly 2K stuff that is hidden well.

There's a new freebie for today:

:ps4: For Honor Open Test - Free - Open 12/14-17

Amazes me that people buy and play games just for trophies/achievements. I don’t even have time to play the games I like let alone games that I don’t like just for digital recognition. To each their own I guess.
Honestly a big part of the fun of gaming to me anymore is seeing/hearing those trophies unlock and building my PSNProfile. That's the main reason why Switch games fail to hold my interest for very long unless it's something incredible like Breath of the Wild. That will sound bad to some especially since I started gaming in the Atari 2600 days but achievements on the 360 totally changed the way I look at video games.

I don't buy games just for trophies or achievements. They're just fun extras to add more stuff to do and sites like True Trophies/Achievements gives me lots of stats to add more to that whole system.

That wouldn't really work because it's too disconnected from the screen. You're taking control of your desktop and need to be able to manage the various documents on it while stamping the passports and doing that all as quickly as possible, so you need to be able to interact with it directly and intuitively.

It would either have to be a Move exclusive game or be remade for VR, which could work really well.
I know how the game plays I've beaten it multiple times on PC I would have just loved for them to spend some time to get it working on consoles since it's been almost 4 years since it came out. People said Undertale wouldn't work on consoles when it was PC only and it turned out great on the PS4.

Honestly a big part of the fun of gaming to me anymore is seeing/hearing those trophies unlock and building my PSNProfile. That's the main reason why Switch games fail to hold my interest for very long unless it's something incredible like Breath of the Wild. That will sound bad to some especially since I started gaming in the Atari 2600 days but achievements on the 360 totally changed the way I look at video games.
It's not bad in my opinion really, building a profile for others to see is fun. It's been especially interesting on PSN since they let you see unlock stats on vita/PS4. I've always been a bit of a completionist my entire gaming life and I feel like achievements let you show that off on a system-wide level for everyone to see. That said though, for myself I won't buy a game simply for achievements, I need to think I will get at least some enjoyment out of the game hence why I'm not buying that puzzle 4k game.

I do agree with the Nintendo sentiment though to an extent. I still play my Nintendo consoles plenty but I absolutely won't buy any multi-platform games on there. I'd rather just pick them up on Steam/PS4/Vita for achievement support.

Same, trophies fundamentally changed how I played games and I can’t go back no matter how hard I try. I won’t play a game just for trophies though. Waste of money, and more importantly, time.

i hate badly designed trophies [do something 100 times, collectathons, etc] but absolutely love well designed trophies that require 'mastering' a game without repetition for the sake of repetitions. Even collectathon trophies can be 'ok' with a few minor tweaks [only require 90%, don't have 1000 items, let you buy a perk to put them on radar, etc].

They've definitely changed the way I play... I try hard to ignore them, but man do I hate when a game has hard trophies but no plat. That's actually stopped me from buying games that look fun.

I don't really get them so other people can see them... heck, i think i have them hidden? But getting that plat makes me feel like i got my money's worth in a way that just beating a game doesn't.

i'm getting better and better at skipping ridiculous plats, which is nice. i definitely have suffered mightily for a few, and now i just say 'hell no'. [granted, the reason i usually suffer is because i do a bunch of painful trophies then realize there is a super painful one, and justify doing it because otherwise all those other trophies were a waste]

Preach it brother! I agree a million times over. Every time someone admits to only playing certain games for that garbage I cringe. It's even more hilarious when they admit the game is trash.

But if I had my choice between having all the time in the world or only playing quality games the way I wanted to play them, I guess having all the time in the world has its perks.

Injustice 2 free weekend, December 14th to December 18th.
Wait, what? I was just scanning through and saw this. It's gonna be free?

I barely have time to catch up on this thread and select which games I want, let alone play them. :headache:

i hate badly designed trophies [do something 100 times, collectathons, etc] but absolutely love well designed trophies that require 'mastering' a game without repetition for the sake of repetitions. Even collectathon trophies can be 'ok' with a few minor tweaks [only require 90%, don't have 1000 items, let you buy a perk to put them on radar, etc].

They've definitely changed the way I play... I try hard to ignore them, but man do I hate when a game has hard trophies but no plat. That's actually stopped me from buying games that look fun.

I don't really get them so other people can see them... heck, i think i have them hidden? But getting that plat makes me feel like i got my money's worth in a way that just beating a game doesn't.

i'm getting better and better at skipping ridiculous plats, which is nice. i definitely have suffered mightily for a few, and now i just say 'hell no'. [granted, the reason i usually suffer is because i do a bunch of painful trophies then realize there is a super painful one, and justify doing it because otherwise all those other trophies were a waste]
I also like those trophies that make you play the game in different ways than you would have thought or have some weird objective to them that you would normally have never done on your own.

I never understood this way of thinking. Trophies mean nothing. You can't trade them for anything. They have no dollar value. Nintendo has certain games with stamps in them but no universal system. You are honestly telling me that you would enjoy BOTW or Super Mario Odyssey more if you got a stamp/trophy etc that stated you beat Ganon or Bowser or found 400 korok seeds or 400 moons? Makes no sense to me but a lot of gamers love the trophy/achievements system and I still can't figure out why. I have never looked at my friends achievements/trophies. I have seen how many they have but why would I care if one of my friends found 100 steel inlets or whatever? Does that make him a better gamer than me? Does he get free stuff from M$ and Sony? Does he get his name in the paper? Are there gamers that have become millionaires due to the amount of platinum trophies they have?

I never understood this way of thinking. Trophies mean nothing. You can't trade them for anything. They have no dollar value. Nintendo has certain games with stamps in them but no universal system. You are honestly telling me that you would enjoy BOTW or Super Mario Odyssey more if you got a stamp/trophy etc that stated you beat Ganon or Bowser or found 400 korok seeds or 400 moons? Makes no sense to me but a lot of gamers love the trophy/achievements system and I still can't figure out why. I have never looked at my friends achievements/trophies. I have seen how many they have but why would I care if one of my friends found 100 steel inlets or whatever? Does that make him a better gamer than me? Does he get free stuff from M$ and Sony? Does he get his name in the paper? Are there gamers that have become millionaires due to the amount of platinum trophies they have?
Well, there are those Sony Rewards missions now that give you extra points for picking up multiple trophies.

Well, the first game I ever plat'd was Uncharted, because I really liked the game and it got patched to have trophies, so I figured I'd see what the big deal was. Ding. Done.

I then ignored trophies...

And then Demon's Souls came out. I love that game. And there's an example of a game that has a ton of hidden depth, and you can really learn a lot - different weapons, boss souls, etc. And so I decided to platinum it [my second platinum]. It was sort of done as a sign of respect to the game - I wanted to master it, do ever last thing.

I don't care what trophies you have. I don't care what trophies -I- have. But I like to complete a game. Now, if I just quickly beat, say, XYZ on easy I'd feel like I was wasting my time. So I play it on hard. And so I'm already pushing myself to excel, and I'm already picking up 50% of the collectables just because I see them.... so it sort of just naturally leads into getting all the trophies.

I mean, I don't need to do side quests in games to beat the game, but I do them, too. Why? Because they're there. I don't need to play the game on the hardest difficulty, but I do, because it's there.

I'm playing NFS right now. There are lots of challenges all over [speed runs, speed traps, drifting challenges, etc]. I enjoy doing them.... but why would I only do 90% of them, and skip the hard ones? The hard ones are the ones I like to do most... and so, I'll pop a trophy. At some point, you've popped so many of the hard trophies you just clean up the rest for the plat.

I never understood this way of thinking. Trophies mean nothing.
And? People collect lots of things that have no meaningful value. Stamps, trading cards, rocks, whatever. My dad had like over 10,000 sports cards and while I never cared about collecting them I didn't question why he enjoyed it. If anything achievements are one of the few things I find interesting to collect because you get them directly from playing games.

As for why should you care your friend unlocked some random achievement that's just not how I look at it myself. Looking through someone's achievements you can glean interesting things about them, what kind of games they like, are they completitionists, do they tend to play on high or lower difficulties, etc. It's not really about seeing that my friend killed 100 skeletons and he's a better gamer than me, it's more like I see that someone I know has bought nearly every Souls-like game but only has like 1 trophy in them per game so I find it weird that he'd continue to buy them. Same way I found it interesting earlier this year that almost everyone on my friend list bought Persona 5 and every single person has the trophy for beating the game, you don't see that happen often. It's just interesting information.

Do you understand why people would want to 100% a game? If so, trophies is not much more of a logical leap.

Trophies are also competitive by nature and some trophies are proof of a gamer's skill. If your friend was able to beat Insane mode without dying and you couldn't, then yeah, he probably is a better gamer than you.

Stamps are worth money. Your Dad's sports cards are worth money. Your trophies aren't worth anything.
Not really, and those things cost money.

I'm guessing you never played sports. Those trophies aren't actually worth anything either but they're proof of personal accomplishments. I get trophies for me, not to show off to others.

Stamps are worth money. Your Dad's sports cards are worth money. Your trophies aren't worth anything.
No they're not lol. Some stamps are worth money, some cards are worth money but 99.9% of them are worthless garbage. I've been trying to sell my dad's cards since he passed away and I've yet to find any that are even worth the effort to try and get rid of.

Also if your logic is it has to be worth something to be worth collecting then trophies should be fine in your eyes considering can get PSN credit with them now.

It’s the millennial mindset, they need trophies for anything. We will never understand it. Trying to change things around when I was a kid I did like getting a trophy for martial arts, I liked martial arts and getting a trophy for being the best I did like and proudly displaying it on my wall. What will baffle me and probably any gen xer is why in the world would I take up cooking because they were giving out easy trophys for it when I didnt even like cooking. Game trophys arent about being the best at something, Its about if you have waisted enough time at a certain game.

Yeah, I would have enjoyed BoTW more if I could have earned some achievements along the way. Why? Because it's something I enjoy doing. I've always liked looking at stats in sports and trophies/achievements give me stats for video games. I like looking at my trophies and I like seeing what others are doing as well. And, like others have already stated, you can now earn some Sony Reward points for getting trophies so there's really no negative aspect to them. If you don't like them, turn the notifications off and forget they exist.

As I rebought an Xbox one this Black Friday I’ve spent time again in that thread and recently some dude was discussing and garnering kudos for an upcoming colonoscopy of all things to share on the internet. Here people berate and argue over trophies....I blame Sony! Let’s get em!

As I rebought an Xbox one this Black Friday I’ve spent time again in that thread and recently some dude was discussing and garnering kudos for an upcoming colonoscopy of all things to share on the internet. Here people berate and argue over trophies....I blame Sony! Let’s get em!
Hey I was that dude. Have some sympathy man! :) We’re a close knit group over there. LOL.

Also happen to have started the shit on trophies. Guess I’m to blame for everything...

what do you think a bug is? i mean, you're literally describing a bug ["something is fundamentally wrong with the code"] then saying it doesn't sound like a bug. bugs don't just pop up out of nowhere, they're hidden in the code.
No, a bug is when two or more functional lines of code collide and create an unforseen consequence.

This is not that. The code itself is not written properly. It's not a bug, it's fundamentally improper coding. Big difference.

I view trophy hunting as a sort of collect-a-thon. 

People comparing these to literal trophies are missing the point; we could call PSN trophies "starberries" and starberry enthuisiasts will want to collect as many as they could.

A platinum trophy tells me "wow, this person knows just about everything there is to know about this game" and that's about it. Trophy wars also made for fun competition. As someone who once cared deeply for trophies, they have absolutely nothing to do with showing off (unless you're directly engaging in a competition) or collecting something of value.

No, a bug is when two or more functional lines of code collide and create an unforseen consequence.

This is not that. The code itself is not written properly. It's not a bug, it's fundamentally improper coding. Big difference.
You're wrong. I don't even know how you found a way to be so pedantic about the word bug, which, pretty much by definition, has always been a 'catch all'.

Like, I get that you're trying to distinguish between 'bug' and 'bad code', but ultimately, they are the same thing in practice. If something isn't working because it's badly coded, it's perfectly safe to say there is a bug in the code. If something isn't working because it's well coded, but there is a mis-used variable, or improper initialization, or, in this case, mis-use of sort criteria, you can still call it a bug. The difference in these two cases is pretty much meaningless - the code is providing unexpected/unwanted results due to an error in the code. It does not need to 'collide'/crash.

First google result: "Essentially, anything that causes the programmer’s intentions to not be fully carried out can be considered a bug, unless the programmer is trying to make the computer do something it wasn’t designed to do."

http://www.codesimplicity.com/post/what-is-a-bug/

It's always a bug.

Ah, a CAG PSN thread classic.  The value of trophies.  A great and never ending philosophical tussle.

But what's that? A new gem! A debate about whether poor programming is a bug? Oooooh...

Things like this are what make this thread one of my favorite things.  

For the record, trophy hunting for the sake of trophy hunting is stupid but harmless.

However, trophies NOW have value because Sony is giving you points for earning them. 

Also, the opposite sex swoons the higher your trophy count is.

Bad programming is not a bug.  The coders intended the list to sort a specific way and it does.  It's a deliberate choice and may not be the best way to do it.  However, it is intentional and not a mistake.  

I like how people are arguing over whether this is a bug or not when the only true way to know is if you have the business logic in hand. This could be WAD or a bug, but we’ll never know! Because even if they change it, that could be considered “fixing a bug” or “improvement of code”....let it go....

Injustice 2 free weekend, December 14th to December 18th. DLC characters will be available during this time...
Not sure if I'm overlooking something; how does one download Injustice 2 to try during this free trial weekend? I only see an option to buy at the discount.

Some new deals:

:ps4: AeternoBlade - $3.74 - 75% Off - Ends 1/3/18

:vita: AeternoBlade - $2.99 - 80% Off - Ends 1/3/18

:ps3: Arcana Heart 3: Love Max!!!!! - $7.49 - 70% Off - $4.99 - 80% Off - Ends 1/9/18

:ps4: Crazy Strike Bowling EX - $3.24 - 75% Off - Ends 1/3/18

:ps4: Injustice 2 - $24.99 - 50% Off - Ends 12/18

:ps4: The Mummy Demastered - $14.99 - 25% Off - $13.99 - 30% Off - Ends 1/3/18

:ps4: Mystik Belle - $8.99 - 40% Off - $7.49 - 50% Off - Ends 1/3/18

:vita: Persona 4: Dancing All Night - $19.99 - 50% Off - $15.99 - 60% Off - Ends 12/21

:ps4: Polarity: Ultimate Edition - $3.24 - 75% Off - $1.29 - 90% Off - Ends 1/3/18

:ps4: :vita: Rollers of the Realm - $2.99 - 70% Off - $1.99 - 80% Off - Ends 12/21

:ps4: Shantae: Half-Genie Hero - $13.99 - 30% Off - Ends 1/3/18

:ps4: Shantae: Half-Genie Hero - Pirate Queen's Quest - $5.99 - 40% Off - Ends 1/3/18

PSVR Special Delivery - $4.99 - 50% Off - Ends 1/4/18

:vita: Superbeat: Xonic - $19.99 - 50% Off - $11.99 - 70% Off - Ends 12/21

:vita: Superbeat: Xonic - 7's Rebirth - $1.99 - 50% Off - $1.19 - 70% Off - Ends 12/21

:vita: Superbeat: Xonic - Cranky's Pick - $1.99 - 50% Off - $1.19 - 70% Off - Ends 12/21

:vita: Superbeat: Xonic - Extra Collection - $1.99 - 50% Off - $1.19 - 70% Off - Ends 12/21

:vita: Superbeat: Xonic - Guilty Gear X Xonic - $1.99 - 50% Off - $1.19 - 70% Off - Ends 12/21

:vita: Superbeat: Xonic - Long Live Collection - $1.99 - 50% Off - $1.19 - 70% Off - Ends 12/21

:vita: Superbeat: Xonic - Magical Blaze Collection - $1.99 - 50% Off - $1.19 - 70% Off - Ends 12/21

:ps4: Volgarr the Viking - $4.99 - 50% Off - Ends 12/21

:ps4: Wanderjahr - $2.49 - 75% Off - Ends 1/3/18

Freebies:

:ps4: Injustice 2 Standard Edition Trial - Free

LocoRoco 2 Remastered Free Avatar Set - Free

New Releases:

:ps4: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - The Adventure of Gunslinger Joe - $9.99 - Free for SP owners

In what way is playing any game different than trophy hunting? It is all meaningless stuff we do for fun, with little real world value. I have never understood criticizing how other gamers play, we should all just do this however we want to. It effects no one.

Hey, anybody got suggestions on how to give a PSN game as a gift?

My son wants Santa to bring Loco Roco (yes, he has great taste). How does he get it? Santa can't just whip up a specific Loco Roco download card to put under the tree.  The elves buy electronic things at stores like everyone else.

I guess it could bought now and downloaded to the PS4 Christmas Eve....maybe a printed picture of a Loco Roco will be in a box?

And no, the physical release isn't a good plan...it's Loco Roco.  No one's putting in a disc for that.

Maybe if a trophy were up for grabs someone would then be motivated to fix/change the way price sorting works on the ps store.

Hey, anybody got suggestions on how to give a PSN game as a gift? [...]
Maybe you can buy the game on your phone and set it to download just before/during opening presents? You could maybe put an envelope under the tree with a note along the lines of "turn on your PS4". (You can google and print out some christmas art of the game, too, for the letter)

Then when he does turn it on, he sees the game there (or at worst, the download notification).

Edit: just reread your post. yeah, pretty much what you said xD

To me trophies and achievements just seem like a score attack. I've chased high scores in a few games simply because I really liked the game, and the challenge is fun. Trophy hunting is a game that involves all games that have trophy support. If others have fun playing that game then hats off to them.

The diatribes against trophies just look like every other diatribe you see on the internet. They come across as "I don't like it. If you like it you're wrong".

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back