PSN Weekly Deals - 4/10: Rockstar Sale! $20 Owlboy, $14 Aegis Defenders, $10 Thimbleweed Park, & More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
Index

Current Deals - Store Updates Every Tuesday, Usually By 8 AM PT/11 AM ET
Visit The Web PS Store

Key:
N - New This Week
Ending Soon
$XX.XX - Price for All PSN Members
$XX.XX - Price for PS+ Members

April’s PS+ Games - Ends 5/1/18

:ps4:  :ps3:  :vita: 99Vidas

:ps4:  :ps3: In Space we Brawl

:ps4: Mad Max

:ps4:  :ps3:  :vita: Q*Bert Rebooted

:ps3: Toy Home

PSVR  :ps4: TrackMania Turbo

Pre-orders - Out at 12 AM ET/9 PM PT

:ps4: Dragon's Crown Pro - $44.99 - 10% Off - Pre-order ends 12/31

:ps4: Guns of Icarus Alliance: PS4 Edition - $11.24 - 25% Off - Pre-order ends 5/1

:ps4: The Swords of Ditto - $17.99 - 10% Off - $15.99 - 20% Off - Pre-order ends 12/31/18

:ps4: To Leave - $15.99 - 20% Off - Pre-order ends 4/24

:ps4: Trailblazers - $23.99 - 20% Off - Pre-order ends 5/8

:ps4: We Happy Few - $50.99 - 15% Off - Pre-order ends 12/31
:ps4: We Happy Few Digital Deluxe - $67.99 - 15% Off - Pre-order ends 12/31

Cross Buy

:ps4:  :ps3:  :vita: Blue-Collar Astronaut - $4.99 - 50% Off - $1.99 - 80% Off - Ends 5/29

:ps4:  :vita:  Rogue Aces - $10.39 - 20% Off - Ends 4/25

:ps4:  :ps3:  :vita: Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove - $19.99 - 20% Off - Ends 4/18

PS4 - [customspoiler="PSVR Note"]PSVR :ps4: means the game is playable with or without PSVR.[/customspoiler]

Aegis Defenders - $13.99 - 30% Off - Ends 4/24 N

AeternoBlade - $7.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30

Anima: Game of Memories - $11.99 - 40% Off - Ends 4/25

Anoxemia - $4.79 - 40% Off - $3.99 - 50% Off - Ends 4/25

Castles - $2.99 - 40% Off - $2.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/25

Crazy Strike Bowling EX - $6.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30

Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow Comes Today - $8.99 - 55% Off - $6.79 - 66% Off - Ends 4/25

Demon's Crystals - $2.99 - 40% Off - $2.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/25

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition - $19.99 - 50% Off - Ends 4/24

Ginger: Beyond the Crystal - $8.99 - 55% Off - $6.79 - 66% Off - Ends 4/25

Heart & Slash - $8.99 - 55% Off - $6.79 - 66% Off - Ends 4/25

Injustice 2 - $23.99 - 40% Off - Ends 4/24

Injustice 2 Legendary Edition - $47.99 - 40% Off - Ends 4/24

Nightmare Boy - $10.39 - 20% Off - Ends 4/25

Streets of Red: Devil's Dare Deluxe - $7.19 - 20% Off - Ends 4/26

PSVR Time Carnage - $15.99 - 20% Off - Ends 4/24

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Deluxe Edition - $27.99 - 60% Off - Ends 4/24

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Gold Edition - $32.99 - 60% Off - Ends 4/24

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Standard Edition - $23.99 - 60% Off - Ends 4/24

Vostok Inc - $8.99 - 40% Off - $7.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/25

Wanderjahr - $4.99 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30

Zenith - $8.99 - 55% Off - Ends 4/25

PS3

Wicked Monsters Blast! HD - $4.99 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30 N

PS2 Classics - PS3 Only

N/A

Vita PS TV Compatibility

AeternoBlade - $7.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30 N

Wanderjahr - $4.99 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30 N

PSP - Vita and PS TV Compatibility

N/A

PS1 Classics - PS3/PSP Compatible - Vita and PS TV Compatibility

N/A

Minis - PS3/PSP Compatible - Vita and PS TV Compatibility
N/A

PS4 Add-ons

Constructor

Crossout

Horizon Zero Dawn

Orcs Must Die! Unchained

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands

Warframe

PS3 Add-ons

N/A

Vita Add-ons

N/A

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to provide feedback for ways to improve this thread. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
how was the first game better than 3?
It gave me a better straight forward storyline as opposed to giving me forgettable villains that keep eluding to something that never gets a pay off in the end. Plus shooting didn't feel as sluggish and there weren't just three puzzles in the entire game.

That and it's easy to forgive it for being the first game in the series, while 3 reaches no where near the heights of the second game and gave no memorable characters for me. Also to this day I don't know who the fuck that bald guy was in the beginning of the game or what he added to the story being he's there then never spoken of again.

I like that when you get somewhere there's always always always bad guys already there.  It's like shit, these guys are really good at finding these treasure spots, if it wasn't for Drake's rage to kill everyone they'd probably become some pretty accomplished treasure hunters.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/898401580285702144

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/08/17/zero-time-dilemma-comes-to-ps4-tomorrow-aksys-looks-back-at-the-trilogys-localization/

Zero Time Dilemma's PS4 release is tomorrow, so one of the localization editors wrote a blog post about the work that went into the whole series' localization.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/08/17/world-of-tanks-gets-a-new-single-player-campaign-mode-august-22/

World of Tanks is getting a new single-player campaign mode on 8/22.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82Xd-lHmtzk

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/08/16/playstation-experience-returns-to-anaheim-december-9-featuring-capcom-cup/

Early bird tickets for PSX on 12/9-10 are available now.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/08/16/we-happy-few-coming-to-ps4-april-13-2018/

We Happy Few is coming to PS4 on 4/13/18.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp0M5Y6JMbQ

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/08/16/burly-men-at-sea-arrives-on-ps4-ps-vita-sept-19/

Burly Men at Sea is coming to PS4/Vita on 9/19 with Cross Buy and Cross Save support.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/08/16/tower-defense-action-mashup-aegis-defenders-comes-to-ps4-this-winter/

Aegis Defenders is coming to PS4 this winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rESk3fmaCLI

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/08/17/absolver-friends-foes-video-details-multiplayer-combat/

Some details on Absolver's multiplayer combat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bANGJ1DpTjs

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/08/17/playstation-pax-west-2017-20-playable-games/

Sony's lineup of PS4 and PSVR games that will be playable at PAX.

Made a video on Dungeon Defenders 2, which has been pretty good so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyT4yvd_v-U
The videos are nice man but I hope you don't mind a little bit of constructive criticism. The "huh" every couple of seconds makes it really hard to watch. Practice not saying huh and taking a pause instead. I do a lot of public speaking for a living.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I’ll take a flash sale please :)

Edit: I’ll take a GOOD flash sale please :) :)

New deal:

:ps4: Tom Clancy's The Division - $19.99 - 60% Off - Ends 8/29

:ps4: Tom Clancy's The Division Gold Edition - $35.99 - 60% Off - Ends 8/29

:ps4: Tom Clancy's The Division - Expansion I: Underground - $8.99 - 40% Off - Ends 8/29

:ps4: Tom Clancy's The Division - Expansion II: Survival - $8.99 - 40% Off - Ends 8/29

:ps4: Tom Clancy's The Division - Last Stand - $8.99 - 40% Off - Ends 8/29

:ps4: Tom Clancy's The Division - Season Pass - $23.99 - 40% Off - Ends 8/29

:ps4: We Happy Few - $50.99 - 15% Off - Pre-order ends 12/31/18

Freebie:

Eliosi Avatar - Free

Lady Swamp Avatar - Free

New Release:

:ps4: Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma - $39.99

I Was always disappointed in the flashback sequences for Uncharted 3 that there was no flashback to Nathan Drake killing someone for the first time. He does it so often that I was hoping there would be a scene where he horribly murders someone merely for cutting him in front of a line for a bathroom as a horrified (or impressed?) Sully looks on. Then again Uncharted 3 was a total disappointment compared to the first two.
Nah, Drake became callous after years of playing only Doom and the original Mortal Kombat. After that his soul turned murderous.

That's also why he sucks at playing Crash Bandicoot.

I Was always disappointed in the flashback sequences for Uncharted 3 that there was no flashback to Nathan Drake killing someone for the first time. He does it so often that I was hoping there would be a scene where he horribly murders someone merely for cutting him in front of a line for a bathroom as a horrified (or impressed?) Sully looks on. Then again Uncharted 3 was a total disappointment compared to the first two.
I thought I was dumb when they did it in tomb Raider, like she kills for the 1st time then the rest of the day she kills 700 more people, and even when she mows down like 6 people in a second then she doesn't pause to c sides her actions but she immediately moves on and looks for ammo or whatever.

Yeah after that first kill in the Tomb Raider reboot (which really seemed to upset her) she just seemed to get her bearings, shrug it off, and proceed on a murderous rampage without even flinching. By the sequel she didn't seem to have any issue sticking a bow into someone's skull. No issue whatsoever.

Nah, Drake became callous after years of playing only Doom and the original Mortal Kombat. After that his soul turned murderous.

That's also why he sucks at playing Crash Bandicoot.
Now I wish we got a flashback of a young Nathan uppercutting a man 30 feet into the air and landing on subway tracks before getting run over. Followed by Nathan Drake happily putting on a pair of sunglasses in celebration.

I thought I was dumb when they did it in tomb Raider, like she kills for the 1st time then the rest of the day she kills 700 more people, and even when she mows down like 6 people in a second then she doesn't pause to c sides her actions but she immediately moves on and looks for ammo or whatever.
I Enjoyed it because it gave it some weight to her actions and in all honesty, it's a video game. I Don't need her going "Jesus Christ! Did I shoot an arrow through that guy's skull and light that guy on fire?!? Holy ass crackers!" It's video game logic and pacing, it's same reason a girl who is skin and bones is incredibly proficient enough to master and carry a dozen weapons with little sleep and medical attention. Meaning it has to move forward and in the end I can accept the developers saying "you've killed the fuck out of that guy and we know you're scared...moving on." Plus the combat was fantastic.

I Think it could've done better in Uncharted 3 if there was a flashback of Sully tying some guy up with a cigar in his mouth and telling Nathan "first thing about treasure hunting kid. You have to kill a ridiculous amount of face less goons!" Hands Nathan a butter knife and tells him to go to town. We cut out from the flashback and zoom out on Nathan's face where we see how dead eyed he is from murdering so many from now until the third game.

Maybe it's because I've only played the first Uncharted so far, but is there something unique about Drake where he should be criticized about killing so many bad guys when pretty much all game heroes are in the same boat? How many faceless goons have the contra guys shot up throughout their series? Or random guards that have been run through by Ezio, Connor, Edward and so forth in AC?  Heck, how many defenseless goombas has Mario stomped to death?

Maybe it's because I've only played the first Uncharted so far, but is there something unique about Drake where he should be criticized about killing so many bad guys when pretty much all game heroes are in the same boat? How many faceless goons have the contra guys shot up throughout their series? Or random guards that have been run through by Ezio, Connor, Edward and so forth in AC? Heck, how many defenseless goombas has Mario stomped to death?
I think the tomb raider discussion is more about how she seems so distraught for killing a deer to survive and how quickly the game turns into a shoot them up. Good ole Drake or the Contra guys never have an emotional dilemma like that to work through as part of the story.

Maybe it's because I've only played the first Uncharted so far, but is there something unique about Drake where he should be criticized about killing so many bad guys when pretty much all game heroes are in the same boat? How many faceless goons have the contra guys shot up throughout their series? Or random guards that have been run through by Ezio, Connor, Edward and so forth in AC? Heck, how many defenseless goombas has Mario stomped to death?
I Think because Nathan Drake actually shows signs of humanity and emotion compared to other video game characters. Meaning he can be funny and charming while getting seriously injured after a physical altercation (before miraculously healing immediately once a gun fight breaks out, but we'll ignore that for now). So it seems all the more out of character or odd that he can so numbly kill people while sometimes cracking jokes. It's hard to compare any of those other characters to Nathan Drake because all their professions are based on legit murdering hordes of people. Nathan Drake is a treasure hunter, but dear God his kill rate is easily in the triple digits.

I Think because Nathan Drake actually shows signs of humanity and emotion compared to other video game characters. Meaning he can be funny and charming while getting seriously injured after a physical altercation (before miraculously healing immediately once a gun fight breaks out, but we'll ignore that for now). So it seems all the more out of character or odd that he can so numbly kill people while sometimes cracking jokes. It's hard to compare any of those other characters to Nathan Drake because all their professions are based on legit murdering hordes of people. Nathan Drake is a treasure hunter, but dear God his kill rate is easily in the triple digits.
Yea pretty much this!, it would be like if Spider-Man was going around killing people, it just feels weird! Also NIN rocks!!

https://twitter.com/zen_studios/status/898214421020934144

https://blog.zenstudios.com/?p=7191

Leaderboards, tournaments, and match-ups are cross-platform with the Steam version. The list of tables that will be free imports into Pinball FX3 from ZP2 is nearly all of them:

The following lists confirm tables that will be available as FREE imports from Pinball FX2 / Zen Pinball 2 to Pinball FX3, as well as those tables which will not be available for Pinball FX3.

Sorcerer’s Lair (FREE)

Core Collection Pack

• Rome
• PashaBiolab
• Secrets of the Deep

Iron & Steel Pack
• Wild West Rampage
• CastleStorm

Medieval Pack
• Epic Quest
• Excalibur

Sci-Fi Pack
• Mars
• Earth Defense
• Paranormal

Zen Classics Pack
• V12
• El Dorado
• Tesla
• Shaman

Aliens vs. Pinball
• Aliens Pinball
•  Alien vs. Predator Pinball
• Alien: Isolation Pinball

Balls of Glory Pinball
• Family Guy Pinball
• Bob’s Burgers Pinball
• Archer Pinball
• American Dad! Pinball

Bethesda® Pinball
• DOOM® Pinball
• Fallout® Pinball
• The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim® Pinball

Universal Classics™ Pinball (NEW)
• E.T. ™ Pinball
• Back to the Future™ Pinball
• Jaws™ Pinball

Marvel Pinball Original Pack
• Blade
• Iron Man
• Spider-Man
• Wolverine

Marvel Pinball: Vengeance and Virtue
• Ghost Rider
• X-Men
• Thor
• Moon Knight

Marvel Pinball: Avengers Chronicles
• Fear Itself
• The Infinity Gauntlet
• Marvel’s The Avengers
• World War Hulk

Marvel’s Women of Power
• Marvel’s Women of Power: A-Force
• Marvel’s Women of Power: Champions

Marvel Pinball: Heavy Hitters
• Deadpool
• Civil War
• Venom

Marvel Pinball: Cinematic Pack
• Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy
• Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron
• Marvel’s Ant-Man

Marvel Pinball: Marvel Legends Pack
• Captain America
• Fantastic Four
• Doctor Strange

Portal ® Pinball

Star Wars™ Pinball
• Star Wars™ Pinball: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars™
• Pinball: The Clone Wars
• Star Wars™ Pinball: Boba Fett

Star Wars™ Pinball: Balance of the Force
• Star Wars™ Pinball: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
• Star Wars™ Pinball: Darth Vader
• Star Wars™ Pinball: Starfighter Assault

Star Wars™ Pinball: Heroes Within
• Star Wars™ Pinball: Han Solo
• Star Wars™ Pinball: Droids™
• Star Wars™ Pinball: Episode IV A New Hope
• Star Wars™ Pinball: Masters of the Force

Star Wars™ Pinball: The Force Awakens Pack
• Star Wars™ Pinball: The Force Awakens™ Table
• Star Wars™ Pinball: Might of the First Order

Star Wars™ Pinball: Unsung Heroes
• Star Wars™ Pinball: Rogue One™
• Star Wars™ Pinball: Star Wars Rebels™

Telltale’s The Walking Dead Pinball

Tables not coming to Pinball FX3
• South Park Pinball 2 Table Pack
• Street Fighter Pinball
• Ninja Gaiden Pinball
• Plants vs. Zombies Pinball
• Ms. Splosion Man Pinball

Bard's Tale is out on PS4 and Vita now for $9.99. The Vita page lists the combined size of both versions, which would imply that it's cross-buy title. However, neither of the pages nor any website with info about the game mentions that it has cross-buy. If someone buys it today, can you say if it does come with both versions or not?
Purchased it off the vita page yesterday and both it and the PS4 version were added to my download list.

Does it have the original trilogy included like some other versions do?
Doesn't look like it unless it unlocks after beating the game or something. It probably makes more sense for them to include it as a pack-in with Bard's Tale IV when it is released.

I thought it was always the third weekend of every month. Oh well.
No. It can be any weekend of the month EXCEPT in November and December. November is firmly locked to Thanksgiving Day and December is typically Christmas Eve, though last year it was the day before Christmas Eve. Also in February it tends to hit on the weekend closest to Valentines Day. Beyond that, anything can happen. Also flash sales typically don't start until later in the day unlike regular weekly sales. So it may be another two hours before we know anything. While August Flash Sales typically hit on the 3rd Friday, this year has been all over the place and there's no guarantee it'll be today.

Is anyone playing Just Cause 3 right now?  I have one trophy left - I need to beat a feat I was called out on...  but I need someone to call me out on a easy feat [like, melee kills in a row, etc].

Anyone feel like helping? I can help you in turn. 

PM me, please.

------

Also -- Thanks owl, for the [sad] answer about Bard's Tale original trilogy...

I asked this before, but it got buried amidst other weekly-sale discussion: Will a save file for the physical version of Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (Vita) work with the digital version?

So I bought the King of Fighters XIV DLC fighters set on sale for $7.99.  They show up gray in my game and are not select-able.  I can't download them either (grayed out on my Download option, unlike the free costumes I had grabbed before, which show white and select-able).  I deleted the whole game and re-downloaded everything - still didn't work.  

I forgot to restore licences.  If that doesn't work, I don't know what to do to get those characters or get my money back.

So I bought the King of Fighters XIV DLC fighters set on sale for $7.99. They show up gray in my game and are not select-able. I can't download them either (grayed out on my Download option, unlike the free costumes I had grabbed before, which show white and select-able). I deleted the whole game and re-downloaded everything - still didn't work.
I forgot to restore licences. If that doesn't work, I don't know what to do to get those characters or get my money back.
I actually just had the same problem with Xrd DLC colors I just bought. You'll probably be fine to just restore the licenses, but if that doesn't work, you can do what I did (which was before I even knew about the Restore Licenses option). Delete the game, start the PS4 in Safe Mode (hold the power button when turning on until the second beep), then choose the fifth option which is Rebuild Database. THEN Restore Licenses, and you should be good.

I asked this before, but it got buried amidst other weekly-sale discussion: Will a save file for the physical version of Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (Vita) work with the digital version?
Yes but you have to manually upload the save using the in-game cross save option. Hopefully you still have the disc

While the game is a lot better now and is not as much of a disaster as it was painted, this is sad to hear as it reads to me like EA is throwing in the white flag and cutting their losses until the next entry which will likely be 5-10 years away
You're giving ME:A way too much credit. It by-and-large was as bad as it was made out to be. I loved the original trilogy, but I'm no apologist. Andromeda deserved all the criticism that it received.

Pre-loads for Uncharted: The Lost Legacy will be available at 9 PM PT/12 AM ET tonight, per the email I received about it from Sony. The odd thing is that was the first non-receipt email I've received for my main account in years, so maybe something has changed or these pre-load emails are a new thing.

If you bought the Triple Pack or special editions of Uncharted 4 that include it, you're entitled to the upcoming standalone expansion that can also be pre-ordered for free to get the Jak & Daxter bonus that supposedly isn't supposed to be available to us:

It seems like it may be the case that if you got the Uncharted 4 Triple Pack/Season Pass/Digital Deluxe/Explorer's Pack and are getting Uncharted: The Lost Legacy as a result, you may also be able to pre-order the game for free and get the pre-order bonuses (dynamic theme and Jak & Daxter) with it.

The FAQ they have up on the Uncharted site directs you to pre-order it from the PS Store on the console (webstore probably also works), which effectively works like a normal pre-order:

Will I be able to pre-load Uncharted: The Lost Legacy if I own it as part of the Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End Digital Deluxe Edition, Triple Pack, or Explorer’s Pack?

1. For consumers who have purchased the Triple Pack, Explorer’s Pack, or Digital Deluxe Edition: to qualify for pre-loading Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, you must enter the PlayStation Store and search for Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.
2. The Uncharted: The Lost Legacy product page will appear and you must select the “Free” option and proceed with the instructions on screen to finalize your pre-load status.
3. Follow the steps below explaining how to set up the PS4 system for pre-load.

Automatically downloading pre-ordered content

• To automatically download pre-ordered content: Go to [Settings] > [System] > [Automatic Downloads and Uploads] and make sure the option to automatically download is enabled.
  • Content will pre-load onto the PS4 up to several days in advance of the release date. The content will not be playable until the official launch date.
To see how much time is left until pre-ordered content is available
  • Choose the [PlayStation Store] and press the X button.
  • Search for the name of the game you pre-ordered. Once the name of the game appears, highlight it and press the X button.
  • The product page will display a countdown timer that shows how much time is left until the release date.

You should get an email receipt during this processthanking you for pre-order along with being able to download the pre-order theme now and seeing the countdown until it's out. There are other parts of the FAQs that specifically mentions that it shouldn't work this way, but that's how it seems to have panned out. Congrats on paying $25 (or whatever prices the other versions cost) to get the $40 Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and Jak and Daxter for a good long con.

So uh... something wierd happened this morning. Check my email and theres a playstation email to change my password... i didn't ask for that... further down I also had an email thanking me for my purchase of fifa17 standard... which I didn't buy...

Did I get hacked? I changed my password promptly but am out of town so can't really call about this at the moment. Why would I get an email to change my password?

Edit: I am reading online about them deactivating your ps4 and making another one primary... however my ps4 is already secondary and the primary is on my brother's. Will that keep them from deactivating mine?

So uh... something wierd happened this morning. Check my email and theres a playstation email to change my password... i didn't ask for that... further down I also had an email thanking me for my purchase of fifa17 standard... which I didn't buy...

Did I get hacked? I changed my password promptly but am out of town so can't really call about this at the moment. Why would I get an email to change my password?

Edit: I am reading online about them deactivating your ps4 and making another one primary... however my ps4 is already secondary and the primary is on my brother's. Will that keep them from deactivating mine?
Almost certainly. FIFA is the focus of many hacks, and the coins used within it. If you have a card on file stop it immediately. Get in touch with Sony via phone, they will have to reverse any purchases, if you do it at your bank they will ban your account.

Also, set up two step authentication if you have not already.

Almost certainly. FIFA is the focus of many hacks, and the coins used within it. If you have a card on file stop it immediately. Get in touch with Sony via phone, they will have to reverse any purchases, if you do it at your bank they will ban your account.

Also, set up two step authentication if you have not already.
No bank info. I just use pre paid cards for just such a situation. Thanks.

If I bought Uncharted Lost Legacy physical from amazon, will i get jak and daxter too?

Doesnt this happen damn near every year, specifically with Fifa? How does this keep happening?
FIFA is a strong target for fraud because it has it's own economy -- you can not only earn or buy FIFA coins in game, but more importantly, you can give them to other people. This creates a black market for these coins.

There are many ways to exploit this, but here is one simple one:

1) Hijack Frisky's account

2) Use stolen credit cards to buy FIFA coins [note: these are not Frisky's cards]

3) Sell coins on black market

You have now converted stolen credit cards to real cash.

[obviously, if there is money on the account, etc, they'll use that too... but the point is, even if there isn't, the scam has value for fraudsters]

Versions of this scam exist all over the place. For example, they can put something on any digital storefront [say, Steam, or Itunes] and then 'buy' the semi-fake product with stolen cards. Digital goods are especially rife with fraud because there is little oversight, regulation, or repercussions - it's generally coming from a handful of non-Western countries and it's very difficult for authorities to do anything real to stop it. Fraudsters seek as many methods as they can, because some will get shut down, but there is no end to stolen credit cards.

In Fifa's case, nothing is really being 'hacked'. The account gets hijacked through some method - weak, reused passwords, spyware, etc. It's not Sony servers getting 'hacked', it's the user's own security [passwords, etc] being defeated by one of the various methods they use. Once they hijack the account, it's all about finding methods to convert access to accounts + stolen cards to cash, and with consoles, one of the most popular ways is FIFA due to the coin economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back