PSN Weekly Deals - 4/10: Rockstar Sale! $20 Owlboy, $14 Aegis Defenders, $10 Thimbleweed Park, & More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
Index

Current Deals - Store Updates Every Tuesday, Usually By 8 AM PT/11 AM ET
Visit The Web PS Store

Key:
N - New This Week
Ending Soon
$XX.XX - Price for All PSN Members
$XX.XX - Price for PS+ Members

April’s PS+ Games - Ends 5/1/18

:ps4:  :ps3:  :vita: 99Vidas

:ps4:  :ps3: In Space we Brawl

:ps4: Mad Max

:ps4:  :ps3:  :vita: Q*Bert Rebooted

:ps3: Toy Home

PSVR  :ps4: TrackMania Turbo

Pre-orders - Out at 12 AM ET/9 PM PT

:ps4: Dragon's Crown Pro - $44.99 - 10% Off - Pre-order ends 12/31

:ps4: Guns of Icarus Alliance: PS4 Edition - $11.24 - 25% Off - Pre-order ends 5/1

:ps4: The Swords of Ditto - $17.99 - 10% Off - $15.99 - 20% Off - Pre-order ends 12/31/18

:ps4: To Leave - $15.99 - 20% Off - Pre-order ends 4/24

:ps4: Trailblazers - $23.99 - 20% Off - Pre-order ends 5/8

:ps4: We Happy Few - $50.99 - 15% Off - Pre-order ends 12/31
:ps4: We Happy Few Digital Deluxe - $67.99 - 15% Off - Pre-order ends 12/31

Cross Buy

:ps4:  :ps3:  :vita: Blue-Collar Astronaut - $4.99 - 50% Off - $1.99 - 80% Off - Ends 5/29

:ps4:  :vita:  Rogue Aces - $10.39 - 20% Off - Ends 4/25

:ps4:  :ps3:  :vita: Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove - $19.99 - 20% Off - Ends 4/18

PS4 - [customspoiler="PSVR Note"]PSVR :ps4: means the game is playable with or without PSVR.[/customspoiler]

Aegis Defenders - $13.99 - 30% Off - Ends 4/24 N

AeternoBlade - $7.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30

Anima: Game of Memories - $11.99 - 40% Off - Ends 4/25

Anoxemia - $4.79 - 40% Off - $3.99 - 50% Off - Ends 4/25

Castles - $2.99 - 40% Off - $2.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/25

Crazy Strike Bowling EX - $6.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30

Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow Comes Today - $8.99 - 55% Off - $6.79 - 66% Off - Ends 4/25

Demon's Crystals - $2.99 - 40% Off - $2.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/25

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition - $19.99 - 50% Off - Ends 4/24

Ginger: Beyond the Crystal - $8.99 - 55% Off - $6.79 - 66% Off - Ends 4/25

Heart & Slash - $8.99 - 55% Off - $6.79 - 66% Off - Ends 4/25

Injustice 2 - $23.99 - 40% Off - Ends 4/24

Injustice 2 Legendary Edition - $47.99 - 40% Off - Ends 4/24

Nightmare Boy - $10.39 - 20% Off - Ends 4/25

Streets of Red: Devil's Dare Deluxe - $7.19 - 20% Off - Ends 4/26

PSVR Time Carnage - $15.99 - 20% Off - Ends 4/24

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Deluxe Edition - $27.99 - 60% Off - Ends 4/24

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Gold Edition - $32.99 - 60% Off - Ends 4/24

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Standard Edition - $23.99 - 60% Off - Ends 4/24

Vostok Inc - $8.99 - 40% Off - $7.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/25

Wanderjahr - $4.99 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30

Zenith - $8.99 - 55% Off - Ends 4/25

PS3

Wicked Monsters Blast! HD - $4.99 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30 N

PS2 Classics - PS3 Only

N/A

Vita PS TV Compatibility

AeternoBlade - $7.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30 N

Wanderjahr - $4.99 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30 N

PSP - Vita and PS TV Compatibility

N/A

PS1 Classics - PS3/PSP Compatible - Vita and PS TV Compatibility

N/A

Minis - PS3/PSP Compatible - Vita and PS TV Compatibility
N/A

PS4 Add-ons

Constructor

Crossout

Horizon Zero Dawn

Orcs Must Die! Unchained

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands

Warframe

PS3 Add-ons

N/A

Vita Add-ons

N/A

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to provide feedback for ways to improve this thread. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you think cosmetic items are important to gameplay, then yes, you are wrong.
If you think that's what I wrote you need to work on your reading comprehension.

If you think that cosmetics aren't important to some people, cosmetics don't/can't affect a person's enjoyment of a game, and aren't an important part of the game to some, then yes, you are wrong.

Battlefront 2 is lots of fun. I recommend it. Allowing the internet at large to dictate your opinion is sad. Plus the whole deal is beyond hypocritical. As they froze money purchases, you can still buy nba2k points, halo req packs, etc. But who ever said Star Wars fanboys weren’t whiny and are rational.
One match is all it takes to start an inferno....lol. Anyway, I agree that BF2 is an enjoyable game. I wouldn't have bought it if the loot box system would have stayed P2W but I grabbed it when Best Buy had it for $32 recently and I've had some fun with it.

If you think that's what I wrote you need to work on your reading comprehension.

If you think that cosmetics aren't important to some people, cosmetics don't/can't affect a person's enjoyment of a game, and aren't an important part of the game to some, then yes, you are wrong.
gamePLAY is different than HOW a gamer plays.

$1 to be able to get past an obstacle (game mechanic or higher damage weapon/whatever) Either pay, or you can't progress. Not a choice.

$1 to LOOK different. Doesn't actually effect gameplay. Choice.

completely different.

If how you LOOK is important to you, fine. But don't complain to everyone that YOU had to spend money to look different. Complain about having to buy an item to actually progress in a game.

that moment when you bought more games than you finished this year and forgot you even bought some of them... Actually happened to me the other day when I saw yakuza 5 in my download list and I don't remember ever buying it.

I finished 13 games this year though at least so in about 8-10 years I should be able to clean up my backlog.
I've done this many times! I finished 54 games this year and bought more than that. Play what's fun. You'll never be able to play everything.

Literally exactly what you wrote. And I don’t care if cosmetics are important to some people. I fully support video game companies bilking millions from idiots who need to look different.

gamePLAY is different than HOW a gamer plays.

$1 to be able to get past an obstacle (game mechanic or higher damage weapon/whatever) Either pay, or you can't progress. Not a choice.

$1 to LOOK different. Doesn't actually effect gameplay. Choice.

completely different.

If how you LOOK is important to you, fine. But don't complain to everyone that YOU had to spend money to look different. Complain about having to buy an item to actually progress in a game.
Don't complain that content that some players want is locked behind luck? It's amazing how you completely miss the point. Weapons or cosmetics, both are content in a game that players care about. The practice of locking any content behind luck is a scummy business practice, at best.

You know why Activision won't sell those skins in Overwatch outside of loot boxes? Because Activision knows people care about them. The cosmetic factor is a huge appeal in a game like Overwatch. That's why there's regularly events in the game where cosmetics are the focus and the whole reason the events exist. Instead of letting people just buy the skins they want for a few dollars, they'll lock them behind luck and get the consumer to spend many times what they would have if they could just buy exactly what they want separately and possibly still not give the player what they want. It's preying on the customer and incredibly anti-consumer.

It's effectively horse armor taken to the extreme. Remember when people threw a fit over that? Now instead of buying the horse armor you're buying the chance at horse armor and people are like "yeah, that's fine".

And don't give me it's needed so they can continue to provide "free" content. That's a bs excuse in a $60 game that was incredibly barebones at release and should have had said content to begin with.

I was thinking of getting Marvel vs Capcom Infinite from the PSN sale, but then yesterday Gamestop put the deluxe edition on sale for $40. The deluxe edition includes the $30 season 1 character pass. So I bought the deluxe edition from Gamestop.

I got the itch to get Infinite after playing a lot with Ibuki in Street Fighter V for the past week. After doing a bunch of flashy combos with her V trigger, kunais, and ex moves I started wondering what could be done in Infinite. A game that is all about crazy combos.

I've only played a bit in training mode so far, but the combo system looks really cool.

Please explain to me where my reading comprehension has faltered.
Sure, can you just do me a favor first and point out where in what you quoted I say that cosmetic items are important to gameplay?

You are doing an excellent job of proving what I said in that quote is true however, so thanks for that.

Are cosmetic items important to gameplay?  Not necessarily.  However, they can be a huge draw for some people.  Case in point, two games I have that I don't play very much anymore; Rocket League and Overwatch.

Rocket League got repetitive very quickly.  I used to love Overwatch, but it became less fun when they nerfed my main, Mercy, and removed Capture the Flag mode.  But I still play them occasionally, primarily during the special seasonal/holiday events.  Why?  Because there are special cosmetic items that can only be obtained during this time.

As I write this, I've been suffering through endless games of Rocket League until I collect all the Snowflakes I need to purchase all the Frosty Fest items.  Do I need silly hats for my car to play the game, or sexy outfits for my Overwatch heroines in order to play the game?  No, but it gives me a reason to play them at this point.

9EgVg.gif

They should rename this the "tangential" thread.

I bought Battlefront 1 for $12 at Walmart on BF and played it for a whole three days before realizing I wasn't going to get any better at it. From what I hear, the second one actually has a single-player campaign so I'll probably pick that up for $12 next year on BF.

Back to the actual subject matter at hand, I have an entire cart full of items but can't seem to get myself to pull the trigger. I'll probably wait until 7:59am on 1/2/18 before actually purchasing anything. I only hope I can survive another week of sales after that without any big-ticket items...

Absolute drift worth full price ($11.99) or should I wait for a sale? Lol
Depends how you feel about top down racing with a fairly steep learning curve. I bought the physical from LRG and it's kicking my ass, but I'm enjoying it.

For most people, I think they would recommend waiting for a sale if you're unsure.

Don't complain that content that some players want is locked behind luck? It's amazing how you completely miss the point. Weapons or cosmetics, both are content in a game that players care about. The practice of locking any content behind luck is a scummy business practice, at best.

You know why Activision won't sell those skins in Overwatch outside of loot boxes? Because Activision knows people care about them. The cosmetic factor is a huge appeal in a game like Overwatch. That's why there's regularly events in the game where cosmetics are the focus and the whole reason the events exist. Instead of letting people just buy the skins they want for a few dollars, they'll lock them behind luck and get the consumer to spend many times what they would have if they could just buy exactly what they want separately and possibly still not give the player what they want. It's preying on the customer and incredibly anti-consumer.

It's effectively horse armor taken to the extreme. Remember when people threw a fit over that? Now instead of buying the horse armor you're buying the chance at horse armor and people are like "yeah, that's fine".

And don't give me it's needed so they can continue to provide "free" content. That's a bs excuse in a $60 game that was incredibly barebones at release and should have had said content to begin with.
(does not understand he just proved the sucker born every minute phrase, and my point)

Sorry, but there is still a difference. My Tales characters don't -have- to wear swimsuits. But a powered-up $2000 Darth Vader that can 1v20 and win in a multiplayer game is not in the same realm.
To be fair there are costumes that come with skills, artes ect in tales of graces as an example. There are some that come with artes that we don't get such as tales of zestirias 7/11 outfit for slay which had a healing arte on it that recovered 711 hp.

Sure, can you just do me a favor first and point out where in what you quoted I say that cosmetic items are important to gameplay?

You are doing an excellent job of proving what I said in that quote is true however, so thanks for that.
Ah, I see. You thought my you was speaking specifically to you instead of a general you, despite me replying to a comment where you are talking about people in general. Thanks for that.

I haven't played a lot of sports games over the last 2 gens of consoles, but after buying and playing NBA Live 18 and losing time when I play it because I'm enjoying a different change of pace, I'm trying to talk myself out of buying MLB The Show 17. I don't really need it, but I wants it...life of a CAG eh?

This gets me every time, probably the best scene in the whole show.

Anyway, anyone got metroidvania recommendations from the current holiday sale (or just in general if they're cheap enough) that isn't Axiom Verge or Guacamelee? Got the itch real bad yesterday and I booted up Dust An Elysian Tail since it's in the backlog and while I'm enjoying it it's not really scratching it for me. Fairly linear even a few hours in, the world isn't seamless, and with the way combat is built it doesn't seem like the kind of game where I am going to be unlocking tons of different weapons and new abilities (though I could be wrong about that.) Mostly want something with a tad more exploration.

I haven't played a lot of sports games over the last 2 gens of consoles, but after buying and playing NBA Live 18 and losing time when I play it because I'm enjoying a different change of pace, I'm trying to talk myself out of buying MLB The Show 17. I don't really need it, but I wants it...life of a CAG eh?
I'm enjoying NBA Live 18 as well, glad it turned out to be a solid game. I had picked up a used copy at GS a couple of months ago and decided to convert it to digital when it was on sale for $15. As far as MLB The Show 17 is concerned, I hope you have more restraint than I do about buying it. I picked up a new physical copy recently and I still ended up buying it digital too.

Figured it would be good to have just in case I traded the physical towards my pre-order of The Show 18 MVP Edition at GS, lol. And that's only if they have a trade-in special, if not I'm keeping it.

Where would you rank Bloodborne with the "Souls" games?  Great price on it, and it will probably fatigue me on games of that type for a while.  I guess a better question would be should I get this game or DS III?

Where would you rank Bloodborne with the "Souls" games? Great price on it, and it will probably fatigue me on games of that type for a while. I guess a better question would be should I get this game or DS III?
That is a loaded question honestly. You will get people who argue both ways. Some will say DS3 is better and some will say Bloodborne is better. I personally loved both games and you can't go wrong with either. For an example Bloodborne has a 92 metacritic and the dlc is at 87 while Dark Souls 3 is 89 and doc is at 82. Personally I would agree and say Bloodborne is a bit better and if you could only or only want to get one, then I would recommend Bloodborne but you honestly can't go wrong with either.

If you have any slight interest in baseball try the show 17. Most fun I’ve had with baseball since nes baseball stars and bases loaded.

That is a loaded question honestly. You will get people who argue both ways. Some will say DS3 is better and some will say Bloodborne is better. I personally loved both games and you can't go wrong with either. For an example Bloodborne has a 92 metacritic and the dlc is at 87 while Dark Souls 3 is 89 and doc is at 82. Personally I would agree and say Bloodborne is a bit better and if you could only or only want to get one, then I would recommend Bloodborne but you honestly can't go wrong with either.
Thank you

If you have any slight interest in baseball try the show 17. Most fun I’ve had with baseball since nes baseball stars and bases loaded.
Does it still have that mechanic where you have to aim your swing? I could never get that down.

Any thoughts on Second Son? Seems like a cool exclusive game. Just missed out on getting it for free on PS+
I enjoyed it quite a bit at launch, have not revisited since even though I wanted to do a dark side playthrough. It’s a good game but probably feels a bit behind the times now with quest/open world design.

Where would you rank Bloodborne with the "Souls" games? Great price on it, and it will probably fatigue me on games of that type for a while. I guess a better question would be should I get this game or DS III?
The Bloodborne + DLC bundle is a great price right now, and Dark Souls 3 + DLC is likely to go even lower in the future.

I can't say that I like one ore than the other, as they take place in very different settings and have seemingly subtle differences in combat that are actually quite different, the biggest of which is the fact that you do not have the option to block with a shield in BB. You do have a defensive option similar to parrying with a gun, which requires precise timing to stunlock the enemy as it is in the midst of attacking you, and I love the fact that even a form of defense encourages you to be on the offensive. You can play DSIII in a similar fashion by forgoing the shield and riposting / parrying heavily, but it is something you will have to actively choose and pursue, rather than a necessity, as it is in BB.

Also, the settings / worlds in which the two games take place are drastically different. There's sort of a steampunk / Cthulu-like nature to BB, which I loved, whereas the DS games take place in a more dark fantasy / medieval setting. Both are awesome, and the lore hidden in the item descriptions and NPC conversations are rich and engrossing.

I don't think that there are many people who only enjoy one or the other, but given that BB+DLC is ridiculously cheap (DS3+DLC is ~24USD, but I may be wrong) and will keep you busy for a long time, perhaps enough for DS3 to drop even further in price, I would recommend BB.

An added possibility, if you have an X Box One X or eventually plan on getting one, is that there may be an optimization patch for DS3 that may make it the ideal version to play on console. I myself wanted / needed the most optimal version currently for PS4 Pro, so I went with that, but if you have both platforms, this may be a potential benefit to waiting on DS3. BB, on the other hand, is what makes fans of the Soulsborne series who are only loyal to Microsoft cry.

My thoughts on select free games for PS+ members and cross-buy titles. If there is enough interest or people find this sort of thing useful, I would be happy to comment on further titles. 

Syberia Collection : I grew up on classic adventures from Sierra (King's Quest, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry) & LucasArts (Monkey Island, Loom, Full Throttle). These two games have not aged well graphically, but are definitely worth trying for people who enjoy narratives / intriguing worlds or settings / adventure games, especially at the price of FREE for PS+ members. 

Axiom Verge : It's not a perfect Metroidvania by any means, but it is a damn good one, and easily worth the 10 bucks. Not all the weapons / upgrades are fun or necessary to use, and there were times when I felt completely lost as to what I should do next or frustrated by the unfair difficulty (I am a Soulsborne fan who enjoys challenge, but not the manner in which some segments from Axiom Verge presented). The soundtrack is pretty awesome too. Also, Tom Happ, the developer who did like 99.9% of all the work for the game is a good man, based on what I read on his blog, and I feel a personal responsibility to support his work, though not blindly so. Your money goes toward a good cause.

Bastion : Beautiful art, wonderful narration, and solid/fun action RPG. Easily worth both sale prices (with or without PSN+), if you somehow have not managed to play this gem and are a fan of the genre. I imagine this is a fairly well known indie title though, given the time since its original release.

Crypt of the Necrodancer :  Won't be everyone's cup of tea, but if you enjoy rhythm games AND (not OR) rogue-likes, this is an easy purchase. The longevity of my enjoyment wasn't as great as that of Binding of Isaac, but very high hours of enjoyment : price ratio to be had here.

Darkest Dungeon : Oh man. If you enjoy the edge of your seat thrills that come with the great consequences of choices in X-Com or the Soulsborne games, you're probably going to like Darkest Dungeon. This game is brutally difficult, and even the greatest preparation does not guarantee success: it merely ensures its higher likelihood. This is a thinking man's game for those who love to obsess over planning and preparation. 

Day of the Tentacle - Remastered / Grim Fandango - Remastered : Many of LucasArt's adventure games have aged well, due to the animated style of their graphics. And much of the humor, including that found in DotT and GF, is timeless. Technically you can't get completely stuck or die in LucasArts' adventure games, like you did in Sierra's, and much of these games' enjoyment is found in the writing, discovered as a result of progressing or experimenting with various actions, so don't let terrible memories of saving and reloading at every step of your journey in King's Quest or Space Quest turn you off from adventure games from the period. 

Garou - Mark of the Wolves : A classic fighting game with gameplay that rewards skill/execution and risk. Some people who have been playing fighting games since Street Fighter 2 was in the arcades lament the directions in which modern fighters have taken, and while I think games like Street Fighter V and Marvel vs Capcom Infinite have strengths and weaknesses and enjoy them equally, if you want to know what critics mean when they complain that luck has become more a factor than skill in modern games, watching a match between two skilled players in G: MotW might give you an understanding of where these people are coming from. If you have friends who are committed to mastering all the ins and outs of a single game and interested in seeing a game accurately convey your mastery (or lack thereof) on screen, G: MotW is a fine title for that purpose. 

Hotline Miami Collection : What hasn't already been said about Hotline Miami and its sequel? The soundtrack is... psychedelic. The colors and visuals on par with the awesomeness of the beats coming from your speakers. The story is far out too. The gameplay is brutal, but fair, in the way that the Soulsborne games are, rewarding every death with a lesson learned, but I think my highest praise here is for the unity with which narrative, soundtrack, and visuals all singularly encompass an acid trip in video game form. 

Journey : One of the great Sony exclusives and among the commonly used examples as to why video games are a valid art form. Amazing soundtrack and--as the title would suggest--an experience and a journey. 

Anyway, anyone got metroidvania recommendations from the current holiday sale (or just in general if they're cheap enough) that isn't Axiom Verge or Guacamelee? Got the itch real bad yesterday and I booted up Dust An Elysian Tail since it's in the backlog and while I'm enjoying it it's not really scratching it for me. Fairly linear even a few hours in, the world isn't seamless, and with the way combat is built it doesn't seem like the kind of game where I am going to be unlocking tons of different weapons and new abilities (though I could be wrong about that.) Mostly want something with a tad more exploration.
Momodora is a decent metroidvania game that's currently on sale for $5.

Bought a PS4 on Black Friday only for Bloodborne (ended up loving some other exclusives too). I was afraid that not being able to block would make the game too difficult for me, but the window to stun enemies is very generous compared to parrying in DS series. Haven't found any real players to coop with yet, but maybe I should continue the game soon with all the new players. Wife has me going through Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and 2.5 collection, which is surprisingly more fun than I was expecting.

Sports games used to be fun but now there's just too many buttons to push for my old hands.

Yet, MLB The Show 17 brought some joy back to my cold, cold heart.

Holy cow, it's 10 bucks! Get it man, you know you want to.

Any thoughts on Second Son? Seems like a cool exclusive game. Just missed out on getting it for free on PS+
I liked Second Son. It's not as good as the other Infamous games and it's pretty easy to win. There's only like 4 hard battles.

Platinum is cake if that matters to you. The little side mission things (especially graffiti) are good.

You don't ever seem to get mega-great powers (like in Infamous 2) but the new (non-starter) powers you get are fun to use. Just be prepared to be let down when you get the final new power at the end (because you've likely did everything you need to do and killed most of the baddies already). Maybe don't 100% the map until the aftergame?

Day of the Tentacle - Remastered / Grim Fandango - Remastered : Many of LucasArt's adventure games have aged well, due to the animated style of their graphics. And much of the humor, including that found in DotT and GF, is timeless. Technically you can't get completely stuck or die in LucasArts' adventure games, like you did in Sierra's, and much of these games' enjoyment is found in the writing, discovered as a result of progressing or experimenting with various actions, so don't let terrible memories of saving and reloading at every step of your journey in King's Quest or Space Quest turn you off from adventure games from the period.
Speaking of remastered titles, is anyone else hoping that Full Throttle and the Monkey Islands go on sale before the holidays are through? Great memories from my teenaging days.

This gets me every time, probably the best scene in the whole show.

I could be wrong, but from what I remember it does have all of that. There are some later Castlevanias in the GBA that break up the areas but still hold all of the running back and forth with new abilities aspect. I wouldn’t give up on Dust so fast.

I could be wrong, but from what I remember it does have all of that. There are some later Castlevanias in the GBA that break up the areas but still hold all of the running back and forth with new abilities aspect. I wouldn’t give up on Dust so fast.
Oh I am certainly not giving up on it, I plan on beating it and probably platting it. It's a lot of fun but I am close to 30% completion according to the in-game tracker and it's not really got that exploration hook like I want. It's very much an action rpg first and foremost, which is fine because that's probably my favorite type of game, just not what I was in the particular mood for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back