PSNOT 2.0 - I kind of want to subscribe to IndieBox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if this argument is all that defensible. A lot of the 3DS titles are also ports from other systems. The ratio of unique games to multi-platform games is better on the 3DS, but it's not a landslide victory.
There's also the fact that quite a few of the "unique" games on 3DS are shovelware.

I think anyone here would disagree with that statement, myself included. But if you were to say 3DS "has a better variety of games that are not available on any other platform...with Platformers, Fighting, Racing and many many indie titles" then Vita., then it is a totally different conversation. That distinction is pretty important, as the numbers show that people aren't really rushing out to buy a Vita so that they can play a lot of the same games that they can just by owning a PS3/4.
That's a great point. The ability to play PS3/4 games on the go is one of the big selling points for me. And like Therm mentioned, there aren't many Vita games in B&M stores to give the impression that there is a lot of games with a lot of variety. Whereas 3DS games take up a good portion of the games section. If you don't regularly frequent the PSN store/sales, you're not gonna know about 3/4 of the games out there.

Again, not trying to say the 3DS doesn't have good games. I loved having it for the two years that I did. Mario Land 3D was awesome. The new Zelda painting one was really awesome. Played lots of fun stuff, including old DS games I never got to play.

I'm fine if you like the game lineup better on one system over the other, just don't try to tell me that there are no fun games or variety on both because it's an ignorant statement.

#SoapboxThursday

I still say there's good reasons to own both handhelds and they both offer a decent variety. If I can ever get a Vita on the cheap I'd pick it up. But since I got my 3DS XL for $60, it wil take a good deal for me to finally bite.

I'm not sure if this argument is all that defensible. A lot of the 3DS titles are also ports from other systems. The ratio of unique games to multi-platform games is better on the 3DS, but it's not a landslide victory.
Uh, I'd call it a landslide for sure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Nintendo_3DS-only_games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:playStation_Vita-only_games

I assume you're talking about excluding remasters such as Ocarina of Time and StarFox, but I don't think there are that many of them on that list.

Gator, Pharm, and others, good times last night. My Full Refund and Run Like The Wind trophies still haven't popped though....bummer.
It was good times. I don't know why those didn't pop for you when they did for everyone else. You missed the real fun later when we were running 6 man missions. That was a blast. Hopefully we will have another group tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess this could be seen as counter intuitive, but as a CAG I'd rather pay the normal price for the system and buy a physical copy of the game for cheaper than what the bundle would have cost (thanks GCU).
Nah, that's not counter intuitive, it's totally reasonable. The bundle is weird. Because it reads like this (the EU one):

Majora's Mask bundle! Celebrate the rerelease of one of the most beloved Zelda games with this limited edition bundle! Includes:
- New 3ds Majoras Mask edition, with unique Majoras Mask print on the outside case!
- one of a kind Majoras Mask skull boy 6 inch model!
- exclusive Majoras Mask retail packaging!

(does not include Majoras Mask)

I still say there's good reasons to own both handhelds and they both offer a decent variety. If I can ever get a Vita on the cheap I'd pick it up. But since I got my 3DS XL for $60, it wil take a good deal for me to finally bite.
Agreed. If I could have afforded it, I would have just bought my Vita instead of trading in the 3DS for it. But since I could have one or the other, I went with the Vita. There are definitely games on 3DS only that I would probably enjoy playing. But I don't regret the decision to switch one bit.

Uh, I'd call it a landslide for sure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Nintendo_3DS-only_games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:playStation_Vita-only_games

I assume you're talking about excluding remasters such as Ocarina of Time and StarFox, but I don't think there are that many of them on that list.
lists do seem a little skewed to me. the fact that they include the 64 remakes(did those add any content?), and ignore hyperdimension remakes(which are pretty much brand new games). there's probably a few more missing things. i'd say they're a little more even if you ignore the shovelware, and take into account the 3ds has a year headstart.

Zimm, I have been waiting on you to say to Miyamoto's fluffer, "Trophies BEEEEEYOOOOTCH!!!"
SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!

Trying to maintain the illusion of "journalistic integrity" or some shit in the comments since my name's on the article. Unlike him who can hide behind his screen name and no one will know he actually helps run the site.

But you make an excellent, excellent point my friend.

lists do seem a little skewed to me. the fact that they include the 64 remakes(did those add any content?), and ignore hyperdimension remakes(which are pretty much brand new games). there's probably a few more missing things. i'd say they're a little more even if you ignore the shovelware, and take into account the 3ds has a year headstart.
I didn't study the lists too, thoroughly, but you are talking about a handful of games with their being a disparity of close to 100. "...ignore the shovelware, and take into account the 3ds has a year headstart." Why would you do that? It's not like their aren't some shitty games on the Vita list. And my point wan't about who releases more games in a given time, it's about which system has more games that you can't play anywhere else. The difference is large and it will continue to get larger as Sony has next to nothing in the pipeline for Vita releases.

Yeah, this is what I was going to post after looking at both lists. A number of the games that used to be unique to the Vita have since been ported elsewhere so they get taken away from the Vita count even if they would have been included at one point. The Vita list is not including enhanced ports while the 3DS list does. The 3DS has quite a few more unique titles than I thought, though. Looks like a lot of those titles are absolute crap games, but most are unique iterations despite that.

I didn't study the lists too, thoroughly, but you are talking about a handful of games with their being a disparity of close to 100. "...ignore the shovelware, and take into account the 3ds has a year headstart." Why would you do that? It's not like their aren't some shitty games on the Vita list. And my point wan't about who releases more games in a given time, it's about which system has more games that you can't play anywhere else. The difference is large and it will continue to get larger as Sony has next to nothing in the pipeline for Vita releases.
ok, i'll give you the numbers, even though the actual totals aren't what's on that page. the rest of us were talking about actual good/decent games. i don't know if you saw the gaf thread when tyler posted it, and how many are actually exclusive, but 300+ games coming out for the vita between this year and next. that's a little more than nothing.

Yea but playing the 3ds games doesnt get you trophies.

FAIL.

Does 3DS play Wii or Wii U games?  I dont care about the 3ds/vita battle either way. I only bought the Vita because it does remote play.  Without that I woudlnt have bothered.  But I am enjoying playing regular Vita games too.  There are plenty out there for me.  I dont need 1000 games since I, like most of you, cant get through my regular backlog anyway.

EDIT:  I guess what I am saying is that technically the Vita has more games to play than 3DS since you have the entire PS4 and quite a few PS3 games no?

Sony doesn't have much in the pipeline, no, but you're wrong about the number of unique titles gaining ground for Nintendo, I think. The Vita release rate is so much faster than 3DS that even with more of those releases being from ports/multi-plats that I think the gap will be shrinking rather than growing. This is especially true now that Japan is really starting to crank out releases now that they're shifting away from PSP development.

Broke $7 on bonkers mode last night

#shotsfired
mAt54Z2.gif.gif

Gator, Pharm, and others, good times last night. My Full Refund and Run Like The Wind trophies still haven't popped though....bummer.
That sucks. I didnt see a few of mine pop, but I went and synched and saw they had all in fact popped at some point. I got one of them (think it was the mugger one) hours later when we were doing the 6 player missions.

Ratchet & Clank 1 Vita sure is stingy with trophies. At least I think it has trophies. I see Ratchet & Clank listed in the trophies app. Unless that's for trophies for the other games in the set….
Pretty sure they're almost all tied to secondary objectives. You'll be able to get a lot of them near the end of the game when you have more stuff unlocked.

Zimm, good job bringing up the Wii Motion Plus.  You forgot the balance board, pro controllers, gamecube adapters, and the other stuff they have pulled where they essentially worked for 1 or 2 games.  The Move has an entire library of games for it.  Many of which you can play without a move and it is just an option.  I am guessing you can use that as a response and still keep it professional.

I still like trophies beeeyooootch! though.  Maybe wren can parachute in again and use that one along mad or naw :)

Here's another retard comment from him:

"And I'd rather buy Amiibos then have to pay a small fortune for a proprietary memory card."

Like 4 amibos will get you a 32GB memory card which should be just fine for most people.  

"And I'd rather buy Amiibos then have to pay a small fortune for a proprietary memory card."

Like 4 amibos will get you a 32GB memory card which should be just fine for most people.
ugh I was willing to let all this go until the blatant disregard for the fundamentals of mathematics.

Pretty sure they're almost all tied to secondary objectives. You'll be able to get a lot of them near the end of the game when you have more stuff unlocked.
Yeah or 2nd run. From the trophy guide it sounds like a lot of what you're doing in the first run is just rushing through since you don't have the required weapons and such to get collectibles.

At least a Vita memory card can save more than one game at a time.
You people need to put these fantastic responses in the comments in the article. Because they are fantastic responses.

That sucks. I didnt see a few of mine pop, but I went and synched and saw they had all in fact popped at some point. I got one of them (think it was the mugger one) hours later when we were doing the 6 player missions.
Yeah, I went on this morning while I was getting ready for work to see if they'd pop too but no luck yet. Gonna check the guides for them tonight and if you guys are on maybe we can try again. I know tomorrow night is already a no-go for me.

I used my twitter account. But I dont use it other than to see stupid or funny tweets from some celebs and random radio people.  So I have nothing personal on it.  I need to find more funny people to add to itm but I get lazy and dont bother.

It also took me longer to remember which screen name I used and my password to twitter than anything.  And I had to do it on my phone since my work blocks twitter.  fuck ers.

#kingamongstmen

Zimm, I'd love to look at his comments but I'm pretty sure the comments get blocked on my work laptop because they rarely show up for me on a bunch of sites here.

ok, i'll give you the numbers, even though the actual totals aren't what's on that page. the rest of us were talking about actual good/decent games. i don't know if you saw the gaf thread when tyler posted it, and how many are actually exclusive, but 300+ games coming out for the vita between this year and next. that's a little more than nothing.
Sony doesn't have much in the pipeline, no, but you're wrong about the number of unique titles gaining ground for Nintendo, I think. The Vita release rate is so much faster than 3DS that even with more of those releases being from ports/multi-plats that I think the gap will be shrinking rather than growing. This is especially true now that Japan is really starting to crank out releases now that they're shifting away from PSP development.
Yeah, I think we already know Vita has more games total than 3DS and that gap will continue to grow. Not sure how many of those 300+ games listed are actually going to be an exclusive. And if they are, I'm not sure how many of them will actually make it over here to the US (unless that list was for US releases?). Don't get me wrong, I love my Vita. I can just definitely see why people would make the decision to pick up a 3DS over a Vita. I'm stupid with my money so I have both!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back