PSP-3000 Announced

jraypeon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
SCEE president David Reeves announced at the company's Games Convention press conference that the PSP-3000 would being shipping this Fall, boasting new hardware features over the current PSP Slim and Lite. Featuring a built-in microphone, a new, brighter LCD screen and Skype out of the box, the PSP-3000 is expected to ship to Europe in October.
Visually, the new PSP 3000 is nearly identical to previous iterations.
It will ship with eight bundles, with pack-ins featuring Harry Potter, Buzz Master Quiz and more. Each bundle will be priced at 199 Euros.

from Kotaku.com

Looks like everyone who just bought a psp gets to be angry lol. :bomb:

[quote name='jraypeon']
Looks like everyone who just bought a psp gets to be angry lol. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Why? There's basically no reason to. The screen looks brilliant on systems already, you can get Skype installed, and most people would want a headset for communication.

Cosmetically it's "nearly identical."

So really the only honest difference - outside of it being branded "3000" - is the microphone, and even that is negligable.

Just because something is new doesn't entail it necessarily being better.

I'm happy with my Slim. I don't need Skype, nor do i need a brighter screen or a mic. Now, if they had increased the RAM again or included some built-in memory...i might have been pissed.

Yeah, seems basically the same with a microphone....not at all that exciting. I barely play my PSP fat anyways.

Just another way to advertise something new and get people to buy it.

Another 40 gig is upon us.
Seriously a brighter screen? The original needed a brighter one but not the 2000. I don't buy this story. I know sony makes plenty of bone head moves but come on now, this is getting funny.

Probably a new anti piracy set of measures as well..

Which is fine, but everything else is just not worth rereleasing it seems... unless they just did it to have a new one and hopefully spike a bit mroe in sales.

PSP-2014.

The changes are too tiny to warrant a new model. I'm with those who are looking at it from a piracy-combating perspective.

Pic
2780856573_4e37748452_b.jpg

Well, I just bought a Slim PSP yesterday. :)

Actually this doesn't bother me, it sounds like this is basically identical to the existing Slim anyway. I don't really care about Skype or the microphone and I'm sure the current screen will do me fine.

The big draw appears to be the new screen. I personally doubt it is much better. The casing looks different too. Overall its is a pretty worthless update but it is better than the new 160 gig ps3.

It's probably mainly for anti-piracy measures. It's kind of funny though that the PSP now has more iterations than Nintendo's current handheld. I wonder if I should pick up a slim now so I'm sure to get an old 2000 model...who knows if the 3000 will be custom firmware proof. I still have a phat though and I'm not even sure the slim is worth the upgrade to be honest. I like build quality on the phat better but I like some of the extra features of the slim. I guess I should decide before these arrive though.

bah again no internal storage. So no increase for on board memory or anything?

It is very possible for sony to release a PSP with internal storage and keep it under 200 bucks.

oh well.

Guess I have to wait a bit longer to play CV:TDXC :(

[quote name='ITDEFX']bah again no internal storage. So no increase for on board memory or anything?

It is very possible for sony to release a PSP with internal storage and keep it under 200 bucks.

oh well.

Guess I have to wait a bit longer to play CV:TDXC :([/quote]
Well, considering i just picked up a 2GB microSD card for $7.50 shipped from Newegg...i'm fairly certain they could include 2-8GB of internal storage and it would cost little to nothing for them. You figure, they include a 1GB stick with most PSP bundles...take that out and the downloadable game they include and right there the cost is covered.

After getting a PS3 I started looking at PSPs...as a DS user who runs on lowest birghtness whenever possible I would really like to see more battery life. If that is not the case, then I see no reason to move beyond a 2000. WIth this being released for the holidays, perhaps we will see some black friday goodness on the 2000 models...one can only hope.

To any of the PSP owners out there: Is ghosting still an issue with the 2000 models? On its highest setting, how is brightness compared to a DS at its brightest?

[quote name='pimpinc333']They really need Dual Analog.[/quote]
They cannot do that, it would fragment the userbase. PSP2 though, yes. I think eventually PSP will get internal storage, but Sony is just holding out so they can get more sales years from now by waiting to announce that upgraded SKU.

[quote name='J7.']They cannot do that, it would fragment the userbase. PSP2 though, yes. I think eventually PSP will get internal storage, but Sony is just holding out so they can get more sales years from now by waiting to announce that upgraded SKU.[/quote]

:bomb:
grrr

well its official im gonna get it in october 14 (thats right folks oct.14 with the ratchet and clank bundle)but if u wanna wait for the piano black psp with 4gb and everyday shooter voucher in november.Well my ohat psp broke and i was going to buy the madden bundle but since only 1 month to wait im gonna buy the ratchet and clank psp 3000 bundle. yayayayay

[quote name='Mr. 420']so stupid to announce a new model,right after a new bundle just came out.[/quote]
Not really...i mean, it's the last bundle that we know of and you're buying the color, not the PSP. What i find more interesting is that Sony held off on this announcement for until AFTER E3...just goes to show how shitty E3 is now :(

I guess this is good since I was literally moments away from ordering a God of War PSP. At the same time I kind of want one now...

I gotta say I'm a little pissed... I just bought the GOW PSP about a month ago to upgrade my chubby old PSP. Now Sony goes and releases a "new" PSP which although lacks any important features still makes my GOW PSP feel old. I really hope this isn't true.

And doesn't this seem like kind of an odd time to release a new handheld? You would think that Sony would try and release it around the holidays but guess not.

[quote name='JMEPO']I gotta say I'm a little pissed... I just bought the GOW PSP about a month ago to upgrade my chubby old PSP. Now Sony goes and releases a "new" PSP which although lacks any important features still makes my GOW PSP feel old. I really hope this isn't true.

And doesn't this seem like kind of an odd time to release a new handheld? You would think that Sony would try and release it around the holidays but guess not.[/quote]

I'm not excited for the color or the black one when it comes out. But the wider color and contrast ratio seems a bit annoying since I just bought the madden psp. But will that actually make a difference on that small of a screen? Or is it just words for show?

Meh, I'll never use skype, and I could care less about a slightly brighter screen, I love CFW, they probably won't be able to hack this one for a while, so I'll keep my new psp-2000

[quote name='hec204']Meh, I'll never use skype, and I could care less about a slightly brighter screen, I love CFW, they probably won't be able to hack this one for a while, so I'll keep my new psp-2000[/quote]

makes me wonder if we'll see a lot more 2000s being sold than expected for that reason.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']makes me wonder if we'll see a lot more 2000s being sold than expected for that reason.[/quote]
Well either way hackers always find a way, even if it will require a mod chip or some sort of hardware modification, but they always find a way.

I probably would have cared if I just bought a PSP and only went the legit firmware route, but now that I have experienced CFW, it doesn't bother me at all. I'd care a little if it came in matte black or if the new Mystic Silver color has a smooth finish (like a MacBook Pro) rather than the grainy look of the Ice Silver.

[quote name='vivelemal']well its official im gonna get it in october 14 (thats right folks oct.14 with the ratchet and clank bundle)but if u wanna wait for the piano black psp with 4gb and everyday shooter voucher in november.Well my ohat psp broke and i was going to buy the madden bundle but since only 1 month to wait im gonna buy the ratchet and clank psp 3000 bundle. yayayayay[/QUOTE]

yeah well im gonna wait for the psp 4000 bundle same size same screen new wriststrap wowowowoowoo

So next year will have the PSP 4000, the year after the PSP 5000 and so on, right? Too many iterations of a console or handheld can kill it as people will say 'oh, I'll just wait for the next one'.

Unless the cfw scene finds a way to unlock the psp-3000, I doubt Sony is going to release updated hardware in the near future.

[quote name='KingBroly']So next year will have the PSP 4000, the year after the PSP 5000 and so on, right? [/QUOTE]

Yeah, but then someday I'll be able to say the PSP IS OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the only article I've seen that's made mention of a brighter screen. Everything else has just said the screen has less glare and better colors. Not making mention of brightness.

The only thing it has that I want is the ability to output games to an interlaced TV. Yeah I don't have HD. I know, time to upgrade. I suppose a frimware update could take care of this though.

Better screen, colurs AND response time FTW?
Sony officially unveiled the third-generation PSP yesterday, with a PS button, built-in mic and an improved LCD screen. Our friends at Engadget Japanese have learned a few more details straight from Sony about how exactly the screen has improved. Compared to the PSP-2000, the new 3000 model has twice the color gamut, five times the contrast ratio and, what we're most excited about, a response time that's twice as fast. The PSP-3000 is arriving on North American shores in mid-October.

Update: LCD's response is twice as fast, meaning the response time itself is halved. Fixed, thanks everyone!
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/21/psp-3000-lcd-twice-the-response-time/

I might bite on this new PSP since I never owned a Slim and Lite model. I'm willing to wait for this new series since I don't really want to spend an extra $30 for a headset.

Yeah, I was on the fence about giving up some better anti-glare and a built in mic to just get a current PSP so I could have it now until I read about the increased refresh rate.

I just hope the 3000 bundles dont have a gay looking color.

I am kinda pissed since I got a Daxter PSP last holiday season and now I see this one coming out with a hell of a lot better screen. I might as well just wait till PSP 2 is released. Whenever that is.

bread's done
Back