PSP BAttery Life ? Ur times?

Spoon_si

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
I got my hands on Ridge Racer...

and I wanna find out how much play I cna get outta this thing. and I can't really trust site review.

On a full charge, sond volume turned full & screen on brightest setting.

I clocked 1hr. & 48 Mins.

well it beats the game gear & nomad. :)

But I'm kinda disapointed about the battery life.
I'm sure I could of got 2 1/2 Hour with lowest setting screen brightness & using head phone.

I think if you could get 4 hr. gameplay with every on highest setting, things will be great. until sony or a 3rd party company release a better battery I won't be taking my PSP anywhere far.

Wat you guys get?

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Kinda makes you wonder what's so portable about the PSP.[/QUOTE]

true dat... But I'll aways have my DS....

[quote name='Spoon_si']I got my hands on Ridge Racer...

and I wanna find out how much play I cna get outta this thing. and I can't really trust site review.

On a full charge, sond volume turned full & screen on brightest setting.

well it beats the game gear & nomad. :)

But I'm kinda disapointed about the battery life.
I'm sure I could of got 2 1/2 Hour with lowest setting screen brightness & using head phone.

I think if you could get 4 hr. gameplay with every on highest setting, things will be great. until sony or a 3rd party company release a better battery I won't be taking my PSP anywhere far.

Wat you guys get?[/QUOTE]

Are you serious? I'm getting about three hours on mine. I noticed when I play online it drops to like 2 hours though.

When I play wipeout, I can usually get around 3 hours with the 2nd lowest brightness and a low sound setting.

1 hour and 48 minutes? I've been getting a consistent 3:15-4 with the same settings on an import. Make sure your wireless switch is off.

[quote name='deathcabforcutie']just out of curiosity, as i dont own either, what kind of battery life does the DS get??[/QUOTE]

I'd say somewhere between 10-15 hours per charge. Probably less if you use the wireless functionality

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Are you serious? I'm getting about three hours on mine. I noticed when I play online it drops to like 2 hours though.[/QUOTE]

Yes I'm am dead serious...

It also depends on the game and loading... and everything is on the highest setting.

I played til the system just shut off on me. so 1hr 48 mins.

I will try Lumines.. and test that out.

I have played my DS with Mario, and I have played it with 5 hr with out a problem.
( I never try playing til the system dies on me.)
I was expecting 2 hour with certain games so it's not like I'm pissed...

I played Ridge Racers for 2 hours with headphones, level 3 brightness, and WIFI off and I still had 65 percent battery remaining at the time I turned it off. Not bad but no were near gameboy SP status. Besides playing a portable for more then 5 hours would surely induce Carpal Tunnel.

*Side note: This is my second PSP. The First one had a scratch on the inside of the screen so I exchanged it at Gamerush. I noticed that the screen on the first one was alot clearer, brighter and smoother looking compared to the one I have now. On the second one, the pixels are more visible (small squares), grainier, darker and not as smooth. The screen blurs alot more on Ridge Racers then it did before. Anyone else notice this?

I'm getting just over 5 hours on a full charge playing Tiger Woods, not sure what brightness setting I was playing at. It was slightly shorter playing MGA at the same brightness (haven't changed it) and also full charge.

you all are nuts-- I think I played for about 3 hours last night at full volume, headphones, 50% brightness, switching between Lumines, Darkstalkers and MGA-- still had 2 battery bars left.

the battery life for this thing is wild, there seems to be a lot of variables, 1:48 is scary, but some of you kids are getting a lot more, so thats reassuring

Would it be possible to just play the thing while its plugged into the outlet? I mean I know you can play by charging, but what if you are at home or whatever, and just want to play it without worrying about battery times and stuff

[quote name='ZForce']Would it be possible to just play the thing while its plugged into the outlet? I mean I know you can play by charging, but what if you are at home or whatever, and just want to play it without worrying about battery times and stuff[/QUOTE]

It is but most people consider "portable" gaming systems for travel/out of home use.

NEW update:

I played Lumines (great game by the way)

full charge, volume full blast & and screen set on highest brightness.
I clocked exactly 3 HR & 11 Mins. just before it died on me.

So i guess certain game will vary.

Not bad I would say. I will be testing other features as well.

[quote name='Spoon_si']NEW update:

Not bad I would say. I will be testing other features as well.[/QUOTE]

Not bad? It's funny that people (not just you) are trying to justify their purchases. 3 hours is pitiful for a handheld system. Also, I read that the more graphic intensive the game, the less the battery lasts. I would imagine a puzzle game would not be using all of the PSPs features. I'd be interested to see what a 2nd or 3rd generation would do to the battery.

It's likely that a 3rd or 4th gen game would have better optimization to improve or atleast not hurt battery life any further.

I dont think people are trying to justify anything, it's not like people didn't know they were going to get battery time like these, the only one here that's even remotly suprizing it the OP with less than 2 hours on RR.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Not bad? It's funny that people (not just you) are trying to justify their purchases. 3 hours is pitiful for a handheld system. Also, I read that the more graphic intensive the game, the less the battery lasts. I would imagine a puzzle game would not be using all of the PSPs features. I'd be interested to see what a 2nd or 3rd generation would do to the battery.[/QUOTE]

He does have brightness and volume on the highest settings, which helps drain the battery more. He should try other settings and see how it affects the time.

My wife played Lumines for over 5 hours yesterday and the battery didn't die.

On Friday, I played THUG 2 Remix for 2.5 hours and then watched Spider-Man 2 and the battery still had some life left.

The sound and brightness were at max during both periods. I've actually been pleasantly surprised by the battery life.

Sony did originally say that battery life would vary from unit to unit. If it's a problem, you could always 'stick it out' a week or two :)

Anyway, even with full bright on, I can grab about three hours of Ridge Racer, and roughly 5-6 of videos from the MemStick. Turning the screen down a notch can make a HUGE difference!- played RR last night for what collectively turned out to be about 6 hours on one charge before I noticed the flashing battery light.

[quote name='Apossum']you all are nuts-- I think I played for about 3 hours last night at full volume, headphones, 50% brightness, switching between Lumines, Darkstalkers and MGA-- still had 2 battery bars left.[/QUOTE]

Those aren't exactly the titles that really push the system. Had you had the same battery life but used Ridge Racer or Wipeout as your measuring stick, I'd be more convinced.

Why would anyone use the speakers? Playing it, I found the sound quality to go up dramatically when using the headphones. Using the built in speakers, games sounded terrible, but, with headphones, they sounded amazing.

[quote name='Spoon_si']NEW update:

Not bad I would say. I will be testing other features as well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, battery life will vary a lot from game to game depending on how often the game has to access the disc.

On my first full charge, I have been playing Lumines at full music blast, wireless off, and at lowest brightness setting. I have clocked 5 hours so far and it says I have 40 minutes left.

Better than I expect.

I played untold legends for 3-4 hours on full brightness and high volume with no problems. Honestly how long do you ahve to play your portable anyway -_-? Let me put it this way. I'd rather play on a PSP for 2 hours than a DS for 12 hours.

I wonder if battery life will vary not just game to game and number of settings on/off, but system to system as well. The dead pixels per system seems to vary widely so perhaps there is a power consumption variance.

[quote name='shipwreck']My wife played Lumines for over 5 hours yesterday and the battery didn't die.

On Friday, I played THUG 2 Remix for 2.5 hours and then watched Spider-Man 2 and the battery still had some life left.

The sound and brightness were at max during both periods. I've actually been pleasantly surprised by the battery life.[/QUOTE]

Now that's impressive. 2.5 hours of gaming, and then a movie? I can live with that.

I'd have to say that I got about 3-1/2 to 4 hours of play time (twisted metal and wipeout) plus checked out a little of the Spiderman UMD anout 20 minutes or so.
I had about 19% left and then decided to recharge. Did anyone notice how low the volume on some things are. Twisted Metal sounds great but wipeout sounds low and so did spiderman on full volume.

I'm averaging way above what I expected.....had a nice session switching between WO:pure; Lumines; TM: Headon; some video watching ; some music listening; and showing some pictures (from memory stick).....
I gauged about 7 to 7.5 hours total on one battery......then I had an extra PSP battery pack already to go and the changing was seamless in like 3 seconds....

WOOHOO!!! PSP lives up to they hype.....though my eyes may melt b/c of their use during LUMINES....How many skins can you unlock??? Aaargh.

WO: Pure...absolutely gorgeous.....

I played Lumines, Ridge Racer, and Darkstalkers the other day and got 5 hours with the screen on brightest setting and volume at about 2/3. Seems pretty reasonable to me, since it is rare that I have 5 hours to spend gaming in one day.

[quote name='alongx']Those aren't exactly the titles that really push the system. Had you had the same battery life but used Ridge Racer or Wipeout as your measuring stick, I'd be more convinced.

Why would anyone use the speakers? Playing it, I found the sound quality to go up dramatically when using the headphones. Using the built in speakers, games sounded terrible, but, with headphones, they sounded amazing.[/QUOTE]

MGA and Lumines are both somewhat intense. MGA has some amazing graphics going on(looks almost as good as MGS2 on the ps2) and Lumines has a ton of lighting effects happening at any given moment. I guess a racing game would be heavier though.
I only use the speakers when I leave my headphones in the other room and I'm too lazy to get up :) Headphones really do complete the experience(especially with Lumines.)

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Not bad? It's funny that people (not just you) are trying to justify their purchases. 3 hours is pitiful for a handheld system. Also, I read that the more graphic intensive the game, the less the battery lasts. I would imagine a puzzle game would not be using all of the PSPs features. I'd be interested to see what a 2nd or 3rd generation would do to the battery.[/QUOTE]

For one thing, I think people are taking these measurements from the battery time thing in the PSP- which I have found to be completely inaccurate, at least on my system.

there are tons of other ways to justify the purchase of one of these babies. While battery life is somewhat important, everything else weighs in MUCH heavier than a short battery life. and I go on a few trips a year within the U.S. and this thing will serve me fine. that's portable to me. I think they'll find ways to optimize the battery life in later games. they won't just make games that suck up the battery in a half hour.

There are also a few ways to get around the battery life. PSP batteries are replacable, so you could buy a back up for less than the cost of a game and bring it along. Also, there's that power block thing that hold two charges. Sure, it costs a little more, but I would take these options over a long lasting, but non-replacable Lithium Ion battery that loses it's charge in 2 years.

[quote name='goosedude']I gauged about 7 to 7.5 hours total on one battery......then I had an extra PSP battery pack already to go and the changing was seamless in like 3 seconds....
[/QUOTE]

Where did you get the extra battery pack? I haven't been able to find one that actually goes inside the PSP.

[quote name='Apossum']For one thing, I think people are taking these measurements from the battery time thing in the PSP- which I have found to be completely inaccurate, at least on my system.

there are tons of other ways to justify the purchase of one of these babies. While battery life is somewhat important, everything else weighs in MUCH heavier than a short battery life. and I go on a few trips a year within the U.S. and this thing will serve me fine. that's portable to me. I think they'll find ways to optimize the battery life in later games. they won't just make games that suck up the battery in a half hour.

There are also a few ways to get around the battery life. PSP batteries are replacable, so you could buy a back up for less than the cost of a game and bring it along. Also, there's that power block thing that hold two charges. Sure, it costs a little more, but I would take these options over a long lasting, but non-replacable Lithium Ion battery that loses it's charge in 2 years.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on everything except the "optimizing battery life in later games" tidbit. I'm sure there are ways to lower battery consumption just as there are ways to restrict load times by a certain amount, but this will have no bearing when the games become graphically intense and use wifi more effectively. This is mere conjecture, but I think battery consumption will be the last thing on developers minds when making a game for the PSP.

I found a place that was selling extra PSP Battery Packs for a reasonable price (I think 49$) months ago.....I think the company was expansys....they import Japanese batteries into the UK........and there is no charge for international shipping as they have a branch in the U.S. A great deal IMO....as I don't know when Sony US plans to release extra battery packs.

There are a few possible battery "solutions" EB is selling a small battery pack that uses 3 or 4 AAA batteries to add life to the play time (comes with some UMD cases) for like 20 bucks and Tiger Direct has a couple of external battery packs for use with digicams that could probably be used for the PSP as well for 40-50 bucks.

Also: I was reading on another forum where someone was comparing the battery life of the US and Japanese batteries, has anyone around here that has both an import and US PSP tried testing the two simultaneously to check if there's a difference?

But if you used AAA batteries to play your PSP with it would probably drain the battery in two hours. Kind of an expensive solution for such a small amount of playing time.

Here's the one I mentioned from EB.

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/256013.asp

I have no idea how long AAAs would work but I'd just buy $9 pack of rechargable Duracels and give it a shot. Though looking at the simple design of the Pelican one now, and knowing how much I dislike Matcrapz construction (compared to them Sony builds flawless equipment). I'd probably take the one Mr. Anderson posted.

I got about 5 hours of battery life on a full charge... but that was playing 99% Lumines.

Strange thing is that when it ran out today.. there was no warning the battery was low at all. Isn't the green light supposed to start blinking or something when the charge is low?

[quote name='Johnny Postman']I got about 5 hours of battery life on a full charge... but that was playing 99% Lumines.

Strange thing is that when it ran out today.. there was no warning the battery was low at all. Isn't the green light supposed to start blinking or something when the charge is low?[/QUOTE]

Yea, it's supposed to start blinking. I've been clocking the battery at around 5 hours too.

Also, did everyone do that kill the battery then charge thing???

[quote name='Spoon_si']

[/QUOTE]

Wierd, I clocked 3hrs. & 2 Mins. did you have the WLAN switch on? Because that seriously eats time.

Longest I've gotten out of my PSP was just over 5 hrs on THUG2R, with Stream turned off.

[quote name='Alpha2']Here's the one I mentioned from EB.

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/256013.asp

I have no idea how long AAAs would work but I'd just buy $9 pack of rechargable Duracels and give it a shot. Though looking at the simple design of the Pelican one now, and knowing how much I dislike Matcrapz construction (compared to them Sony builds flawless equipment). I'd probably take the one Mr. Anderson posted.[/QUOTE]

I heard the new design battery will boost 20% more battery life... and I think the new Japanese system already has it... 20% is great new, but I would actual like to see them both compared.

I'm not at all disapointed w/ my time w/ Ridge Racer, I was kinda expecting it.
i notice my brother PSP battery is clocking 30 mins or so more time then I do, when playing head to head. So all battery are not made equal...

bread's done
Back