PSP FW 5.00 Bringing the PS Store to the PSP, All Future Sony Games Available on PSN

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/09/psp-wi-fi-store-opening-oct-15-in-japan-all-future-first-party/

Sony has announced that all future first-party PSP games will be available through download in Japan, beginning later this year via the Wi-Fi Store. The store is scheduled to open in Japan on October 15th with the firmware v5.00 update. Games to be sold by direct download include Secret Agent Clank (11/20), Patapon 2 (11/27), and LocoRoco 2 (12/4) (these titles will also be available on UMD).

There is currently no date for the release of the store in North America or Europe. We're also wondering how downloadable games' pricing will compare to standard UMD retail prices (considering that direct downloads save on packaging, shipping and a slew of other costs). We'll update as soon as we hear anything.

Didn't the PSP just get to 4.00 with one of the last firmware updates? I'm hoping that there are more features being added with the big jump to 5.00, maybe some of the others that were rumored for 5.00 before.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/10/13/firmware-updates-ps3-v250-psp-v500/

PSP (v5.00) update

Let’s start with the v5.00 update for PSP. In this version, you’ll notice the addition of the PlayStation Network icon on the XMB. You can now sign up for PlayStation Network, manage your account and access PlayStation Store directly from your PSP - meaning you can download games directly to your PSP while connected via Wi-Fi. Getting games, demos and trailers while on-the-go has never been easier! Check out the screen below.

The current PlayStation Store on the PC will be down in the interim as we take some time to revamp. Don’t worry, it will re-launch soon after we’ve made some tweaks. Please keep in mind, if you already have a PlayStation Network account, simply sign in on your PSP using your existing information. The same account and wallet can be used on PS3 and PSP. You will be able to check out the PlayStation Store on the PSP soon, as we’ll have a video demo featuring Grace Chen posted soon on the Blog.

Update v5.00 adds a sleep timer option that can be used while you are playing music on your PSP. In addition, we’ve added a full screen keyboard option for text entry and have redesigned the background of the XMB. You’ll be able to find all of the information on Firmware v5.00 here once it goes live.
Should be coming soon for North American PSP's, too.

Finally a REAL update. :D

EDIT

Now if we can have trophies on PSP. We would have to replay the games most likely but I can see getting trophies for future PSP games like Loco Roco 2 and Patapon 2. :whistle2:k

Last edited by a moderator:
The account management works exactly like it does on PSP, which is nice. Also, It has been updated on PSP to where those who don't have a PS3 can choose a PSN avatar and such.

I really like how well integrated the PSP is becoming with the whole universal Playstation experience. it's nice how well paired up the two systems are becoming.

[quote name='JEKKI']5.00 M33 out!![/quote]

It has been rumored for those with M33 versions connecting to the store will be banned, but DAX has said no. I didn't force you to read this =)

The store is nice, though you seem to need a fast connection to fully browse.

[quote name='neverletthem']
It has been rumored for those with M33 versions connecting to the store will be banned, but DAX has said no. I didn't force you to read this =)

The store is nice, though you seem to need a fast connection to fully browse.[/quote]
The store is awesome. I've downloaded a theme, demo, and am thinking about buying beats...any suggestions? Personally, the PSP games need to be about $5 cheaper.

Kind of off topic, but I am trying to get online to see the PSN :)

..Why can't I get my PSP connected to the internet with my WEP? :whistle2:k

Yeah! My 360, DS, Wii, and iPod touch all use the same network and never gave me a problem!

I keep getting "A connection error has occurred. The attempt to obtain the IP address timed out."
:(

[quote name='lilboo']Kind of off topic, but I am trying to get online to see the PSN :)

..Why can't I get my PSP connected to the internet with my WEP? :whistle2:k[/quote]

Hmm, weird. Got mine connected through WEP, and it works perfectly. First off, check your key. That's the only thing I can think of that would be stopping it.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Downloaded the update, very nice! The new background is sweet as hell.

5.01 is out, as well, to those with the memory stick problems. :D[/quote]
Downloaded 5.01 update. PSN store on PSP now works great! :bouncy:

I downloaded 5.0 and it worked just fine. I tried to get into the PS store a few minutes ago and it's telling me I need to update my firmware. Thing is, I only have a 1GB card. Guess I'll have to update again...

[quote name='neverletthem']

The store is nice, though you seem to need a fast connection to fully browse.[/QUOTE]
So they're assuming that pirates are using M33 (why else would Sony not like it?) and they're going to cut off one of the main avenues to getting a game legitimately? That'd be cutting off your nose to spite your face...

[quote name='Nathan_Sama']I want a PSN port of FF7 :,([/quote]

This is all I've thought about since this whole thing started. :pray:

[quote name='jjhearn']What gig card is needed for dl's?[/quote]

A depends on how much you want to download. If you are just DLing demos, a one gig will be fine. If you are downloading full games/ a LOT of demos, you will need to go bigger.

[quote name='torifile']So they're assuming that pirates are using M33 (why else would Sony not like it?) and they're going to cut off one of the main avenues to getting a game legitimately? That'd be cutting off your nose to spite your face...[/quote]

Which is true. Though, their fear was probably that I could buy a game, rip it, then distribute it. Thou, anyone can do that, CFW or not.

And, we all know now it's bull. I went on the store, downloaded demos, and I sure ain't banned. Nobody was banned. Case closed.

[quote name='neverletthem']A depends on how much you want to download. If you are just DLing demos, a one gig will be fine. If you are downloading full games/ a LOT of demos, you will need to go bigger.

Which is true. Though, their fear was probably that I could buy a game, rip it, then distribute it. Thou, anyone can do that, CFW or not.

And, we all know now it's bull. I went on the store, downloaded demos, and I sure ain't banned. Nobody was banned. Case closed.
[/QUOTE]
One more point of data - I have CFW and I was able to access the store. BTW, I've got CFW because I have a japanese PSP and I needed the ability to do some things to it that only CFW allowed.

it's nice to be able to play Jeanne d'Arc without having to have the UMD spinning all the time, though. :)

are the downloads the same price as normal games....

that be insane if sony thinks someone is going to pay 30 bucks for a download or just go to the store and buy the game for 30

[quote name='slidecage']are the downloads the same price as normal games....

that be insane if sony thinks someone is going to pay 30 bucks for a download or just go to the store and buy the game for 30[/quote]
They will be since the stores demand it or they won't carry their games.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']They will be since the stores demand it or they won't carry their games.[/QUOTE]

who would pay 30 bucks for a download with 0 resell value when you could buy the game and resell the UMD for 15+

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']They will be since the stores demand it or they won't carry their games.[/quote]
If Sony wants people to download the games off of PSN they'll lower the price by $5 compared to the retail version. I bought Beats simply because it can't be had in retail form. It's pointless to buy something on the PSN when i can get it for the same price (or cheaper with discounts/coupons) that's physical/real.

[quote name='SynGamer']If Sony wants people to download the games off of PSN they'll lower the price by $5 compared to the retail version. I bought Beats simply because it can't be had in retail form. It's pointless to buy something on the PSN when i can get it for the same price (or cheaper with discounts/coupons) that's physical/real.[/quote]
[quote name='slidecage']who would pay 30 bucks for a download with 0 resell value when you could buy the game and resell the UMD for 15+[/quote]
I can't give you the official answer since I'm not Sony, but the retailers completely have the control of this situation since they can just threaten to not stock the games at all if Sony wants to make the digital version cheaper than the disc version. That's why Warhawk, GT5 Prologue, and SOCOM Confrontation are the same price on PSN as they are disc-only. It's stupid that whiny retailers have that much power, but if you want cheaper PSN versions, there can't be a disc alternative (look at echochrome at $10) because this is all backdoor politics between the publishers and retailers.

[quote name='slidecage']who would pay 30 bucks for a download with 0 resell value when you could buy the game and resell the UMD for 15+[/quote]

Someone who does not ever plan to sell off that game?
Someone who does not want to be bothered transporting UMDs with their PSP? (Yes I know that this can already be done though other means).

Course neither of these change the fact that most games will most likely still be found cheaper through some kind of retail means.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I can't give you the official answer since I'm not Sony, but the retailers completely have the control of this situation since they can just threaten to not stock the games at all if Sony wants to make the digital version cheaper than the disc version. That's why Warhawk, GT5 Prologue, and SOCOM Confrontation are the same price on PSN as they are disc-only. It's stupid that whiny retailers have that much power, but if you want cheaper PSN versions, there can't be a disc alternative (look at echochrome at $10) because this is all backdoor politics between the publishers and retailers.[/quote]

What Sony/Publisher/Developer should do then is that after a game has been out at retail for a few months (or alternatively after sales on the game start to significantly drop) drop the price of the game online , since then retailers pulling it would not really matter. If the game ends up eventually going GH then let it be released at retail and adjust the online price accordingly. They kinda already suggested that kind of idea with Burnout Paradise did they not?

Burnout's PSN price is the same as its MSRP, with no price drop for the few weeks its been out on PSN. Warhawk already dropped to its GH price when that happened a few months ago. Sony's put Warhawk on sale for a week or so for $10 cheaper, but not dropped it permanently until it went GH.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I can't give you the official answer since I'm not Sony, but the retailers completely have the control of this situation since they can just threaten to not stock the games at all if Sony wants to make the digital version cheaper than the disc version. That's why Warhawk, GT5 Prologue, and SOCOM Confrontation are the same price on PSN as they are disc-only. It's stupid that whiny retailers have that much power, but if you want cheaper PSN versions, there can't be a disc alternative (look at echochrome at $10) because this is all backdoor politics between the publishers and retailers.[/QUOTE]

I wonder in time sony just wont make all games download and stop making UMDS

[quote name='slidecage']I wonder in time sony just wont make all games download and stop making UMDS[/quote]

Wasn't there some announcement that Sony was going to release every new PSP game for download on the store along with UMD? That's just showing that they are going more to download, then UMD.

Pretty sure it's only Sony published and/or developed titles. It's up to the other publishers and developers if they want to follow I would think.

Moving to digital downloads I think is total garbage. You can't trade it, you can't sell it, it's completely worthless after you pay for it. If I spend $10, $20, or more I want something more than 1's or 0's. Will they let you re-download it if for example your memory card becomes corrupted or gets erased?

[quote name='b3b0p']Pretty sure it's only Sony published and/or developed titles. It's up to the other publishers and developers if they want to follow I would think.

Moving to digital downloads I think is total garbage. You can't trade it, you can't sell it, it's completely worthless after you pay for it. If I spend $10, $20, or more I want something more than 1's or 0's. Will they let you re-download it if for example your memory card becomes corrupted or gets erased?[/QUOTE]
You mean that the time you spend playing the game isn't worth anything? I get what you're trying to say, but that's just an absurd assertion.

If Sony's stance with the PS3 PSN store is any indication, they're going to be very liberal about things like redownloading. If you haven't used the PS3 PSN store, you can download an unlimited number of times as long as you don't have more than 5 machines activated at the time.

[quote name='torifile']One more point of data - I have CFW and I was able to access the store. BTW, I've got CFW because I have a japanese PSP and I needed the ability to do some things to it that only CFW allowed.

it's nice to be able to play Jeanne d'Arc without having to have the UMD spinning all the time, though. :)[/quote]

With the deals on mem sticks on BF, I was wondering if it was worth picking up one (I have a 1gb from the Daxter bundle currently) for PSP games. I haven't been able to find Jeanne d'Arc for cheaper than PSN price. If it plays better because UMD loading times are particularly bad then that would tip the scale toward going with the mem-stick + download route. Thoughts?

bread's done
Back