PSP games sales not doing so good

[quote name='javeryh']Why doesn't anyone put a dollar value on portability? It is worth it to me in real money to be able to take games with me on the go since most of the time I have for gaming is NOT in front of the television. I'd pay $30 easy for a straight port of a PS2 game (and probably even a PS1 game). If you have two identical $50 games, one for PS2 and one for PSP, the $50 is better spent on the PSP game because I can take it anywhere... I imagine I'm in the minotity on this though...[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree with you it seems no one does add a dollar amount to portability. It was a point I made once or twice with the NES classics. Same game but now portable.

As for the games I think that is what is hurting the PSP. The line between the PS2 and the PSP is pretty thin. Pay $50 for the portable version that is portable or buy the $50 home version that is a little better?

The one thing I really do like about the DS more is the quick power on and no load times. THUG 2 Remix didn't feel portable when I had to wait 2 or 3 minutes just to get to a Menu. I didn't think it would bother me but on a portable it can be a pain. I can't as quickly get in and out of a game. The suspend mode is nice on the PSP but the battery life doesn't exactly make this a great option.

As for the ports\rehases\originals every system known to man has them so everyone should fucking get over it already and stop with the DS or PSP bashing. Play what you like.

[quote name='usickenme']You must not play games that often.

plus I don't count a PS2 game with 3 extra levels as "original".[/QUOTE]

Which of those games are you talking about?? None of those games he mentioned came out on the PS2 in any form.

[quote name='Tromack']No, he said he wanted a good game. Not the same piece of crap with a new, crappy, albeit portable coat of paint.[/QUOTE]

Coded Arms :D

codedarms3tr.jpg
coded21xt.jpg

(sorry, I'm just excited for this game :p )

[quote name='TheMoor']I don't own a PSP myself so I haven't really looked into this much myself, but is there any REAL MUST HAVE title that will be release soon that could save the PSP as far as software sales go??[/QUOTE]

Coded Arms :D

codedarms3tr.jpg
coded21xt.jpg

(sorry, I'm just excited for this game :p )

[quote name='TheMoor']I don't own a PSP myself so I haven't really looked into this much myself, but is there any REAL MUST HAVE title that will be release soon that could save the PSP as far as software sales go??[/QUOTE]

Also, not that soon, but still this year there is:
Infected

Burnout Legends

And Pursuit Force (Recently Heard About this)

Also MG:A 2 and some other stuff I dont remember.

[quote name='whoknows']Coded Arms :D

(sorry, I'm just excited for this game :p )[/QUOTE]

The controls look like they're going to be horrendous.

[quote name='evilmax17']The controls look like they're going to be horrendous.[/QUOTE]

You can customize the controls, and even make them the same as the Goldeneye 64 controls.

[quote name='Maverick CRV']Like I said, no. Fanboys will buy this game, I'm sure, for the same boring crap that has filled the past three GTA games. It's not a system seller by any means.[/QUOTE]

I fucking HATE GTA....but all three GTA's are on the top ten selling games of all time....in units.

[quote name='usickenme']You must not play games that often.

plus I don't count a PS2 game with 3 extra levels as "original".[/QUOTE]

Your right, I've played:

Metal Gear Ac!d, Lumines and Mercury on the PS2 and loved every minute of it. They suck on the PSP compared to the PS2 versions.

Thats why I love my Nintendo DS, cause I can play all the hot original titles like, Ridge Racer DS, Mario 64 DS, Zoo Keeper and Rayman DS.

Those games are AWWWWESOMMMME!

[quote name='jkam']I really wish they would make a non-card based Metal Gear for the PSP.[/QUOTE]

They will in due time....

I personally dont mind ports too much, I would love to play Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2 on the PSP.

In the case of Ridge Racer or Rayman, where they are complete unchanged ports...I hate them. But I was proven wrong with Mario in the past, and unlike alot of people here I can admit that. Mario has been graphically altered (Although could of been a little more) and has extra cool stuff.

an Ocarina of time port with wind waker Design for the DS, would be kinda a nifty Idea. Give it a diferent feel.

Keep link older...just designed differently and cell shaded to see easier on the DS. With extra levels.....maybe the with the N64 DD levels that never made it??

[quote name='javeryh']Why doesn't anyone put a dollar value on portability? It is worth it to me in real money to be able to take games with me on the go since most of the time I have for gaming is NOT in front of the television. I'd pay $30 easy for a straight port of a PS2 game (and probably even a PS1 game). If you have two identical $50 games, one for PS2 and one for PSP, the $50 is better spent on the PSP game because I can take it anywhere... I imagine I'm in the minotity on this though...[/QUOTE]
totally agree with this dude...i spend more time in the office and on the go than at the crib so portability counts.....but i have both systems and love em...i just wish the developers would get off their asses and get more games out for both

Sony dropped the ball on the PSP imo.

Nintendo handled the problems with the DS better with its return policy unlike Sony. There was no launch game for the PSP that everyone needed to have that wasn't available in some shape or form for other systems. The unit can get too dirty and the button setup (sticky square button) was a poor aesthetic decision (I can't say design decision since design has both functionality and aesthetic qualities to it). The unit and the games are too expensive. Nintendo has a huge market share in the portable gaming industry.

To me that's a laundry list of problems, and the PSP can start by price cutting on games and movies. Secondly, bring out some unique titles, which they should have had a least a few at launch except for Lumines which is similar to many other games. Third, get rid of that crappy value pack bundle that most people didn't want in the first place. Any basic marketing technique would include some kind of tiered pricing for stand alone PSPs, value packs, etc., I don't understand this Value Pack Only offer at all except the fact that the cost of the extras are very low and they felt they could cut their losses on the system by forcing it onto people.

Even with all that I think Nintendo should hold a pretty sizeable market share because they just have more experience in this area and know what they are doing and what people want. Now don't get me started on how there were basically no unique games at the DS launch for the most part. The difference is, is that Nintendo is already in the lead and Sony is the one that needs to play catch up.

[quote name='jkam']I really wish they would make a non-card based Metal Gear for the PSP.[/QUOTE]

I'm not much of a MGS fan but I was pretty disappointed. The whole reason for adopting card battle designs into the GameBoy was that it meant little animation was needed as part of that context. That is the exact opposite of what PSP buyers are looking for.

OTOH, card battles are one of those curses that strike every media property, in much the same way there had to be a 'baby' version of every animated character during the 90's. Tiny Toons was just about the only inoffensive version of this but they went ahead and produced Baby Looney Tunes to make sure the curse was fulfilled.

[quote name='jkam']I tend to agree with you it seems no one does add a dollar amount to portability. It was a point I made once or twice with the NES classics. Same game but now portable.

As for the games I think that is what is hurting the PSP. The line between the PS2 and the PSP is pretty thin. Pay $50 for the portable version that is portable or buy the $50 home version that is a little better?

The one thing I really do like about the DS more is the quick power on and no load times. THUG 2 Remix didn't feel portable when I had to wait 2 or 3 minutes just to get to a Menu. I didn't think it would bother me but on a portable it can be a pain. I can't as quickly get in and out of a game. The suspend mode is nice on the PSP but the battery life doesn't exactly make this a great option.

As for the ports\rehases\originals every system known to man has them so everyone should fucking get over it already and stop with the DS or PSP bashing. Play what you like.[/QUOTE]

My problem with that argument is that I don't see the PSP as a true portable system. IMO it is too big and doesn't have the battery life that a portable should have. So if I am going to be playing a PSP at home most of the time, I would rather spend $50 on the console version.

[quote name='Hideo Kojima']Did you ever think about using the MGS universe in a completely different genre, like strategy?

No, not really. I've been of course told by the company to think about it and yes, there were some ideas about it. But from my point of view MGS only works as a pure stealth action combat game. There is the exception of Metal Gear Acid which is on the PSP. Lot of people said to me that on the PSP I should almost do a port, an action-stealth type on the PSP. However since it's a handheld game console, especially in Japan people play it on crowded trains during commuting, an action-stealth-game like the original MGS is not possible. So therefore we gave it a thought and said, why not make it a card game with the same tension of playing as a stealth game. So that was one exception that we had this franchise move on to the PSP.

[/QUOTE]

http://ps2.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=8293

I can understand what he means to an extent, though I know the technological limitatations of the battery probably came into play as far as Kiojima Productions not doing a straight port or an original MGS on the PSP.

The problem is our long training by the platform companies of what to expect from a portable. The Game Gear was recongizably repackaged Master System material in an era when the originals where in the bargain bins if you could find it at retail. (I made some really good money for a while before Sega began officially supporting the Master Gear Converter. I had a place where I could get them for $10 and bought up all of the used Master System collections I could find for sale. Those games were worth ten times as much when put together with the converter for Game Gear use.)

With the exception of the TurboExpress, portable games were always very limited compared to current consoles or were the products of consoles long past. The only thing giving them value over used games was the portability. So our knee-jerk reaction was to always have certain assumptions when portability was involved. It isn't entirely fair to Sony but they had no reason to expect otherwise. Considering the low cost of UMDs, setting the preferred ceiling for game price at $40 would have been a good step. That would still be higher than the market leader but allowing development costs to be met sooner.

I don't know about you guys but I'm a cheapass and that is why I come here.
To find deals and scams to get game for cheap.

As I have mentioned before I personally enjoy both systems.

I really think EA and the $50 half arsed titles for the PSP can go fuck themselves.
Any developer expecting me to pay $50 for a PSP or $40 for a DS tile can fuck off.

I have only paid full price for one PSP title Ridge Racer. I have also only paid full price for one DS title Mario DS.

Example of some deals. I got Twisted Metal Black for free after trading in 90%off games from TRU. I got MLB for PSP for $25 with the Gamecrazy 25% off used coupon a while ago. I got Hot Shots PSP at Best Buy for $20 after using a digital coupon. I just bought the spiderman 2 game for $20 using last weeks ad at Best Buy plus rewards zone card, $5 coupon and Rewards zone $5 ticket.

For DS I got Pac-Pix and Star Wars DS at TRU using the 20%0ff, plus more deals.

UMDs are not worth anymore than $15 and some of the prices are just insane.
I so far have Hellboy and Resident evil which I got for $12 at CC and Kill Bill for $14 used. Might pick up Terminator 2 but only on the cheap.

There are great titles coming out for both systems in the future and I am looking forward to mroe portable gaming.

If I have any complaints at all it is the PSP needs a new battery. The PSP battery is horrible and sony needs to replace it with a high end battery soon.

No one is being forced to buy any titles at $50 or UMDs at $30. Hopefully these prices, with the help of the average consumer will drop due to poor sales.

[quote name='flybrione']I don't know about you guys but I'm a cheapass and that is why I come here.
To find deals and scams to get game for cheap.

As I have mentioned before I personally enjoy both systems.

I really think EA and the $50 half arsed titles for the PSP can go fuck themselves.
Any developer expecting me to pay $50 for a PSP or $40 for a DS tile can fuck off.

I have only paid full price for one PSP title Ridge Racer. I have also only paid full price for one DS title Mario DS.

Example of some deals. I got Twisted Metal Black for free after trading in 90%off games from TRU. I got MLB for PSP for $25 with the Gamecrazy 25% off used coupon a while ago. I got Hot Shots PSP at Best Buy for $20 after using a digital coupon. I just bought the spiderman 2 game for $20 using last weeks ad at Best Buy plus rewards zone card, $5 coupon and Rewards zone $5 ticket.

For DS I got Pac-Pix and Star Wars DS at TRU using the 20%0ff, plus more deals.

UMDs are not worth anymore than $15 and some of the prices are just insane.
I so far have Hellboy and Resident evil which I got for $12 at CC and Kill Bill for $14 used. Might pick up Terminator 2 but only on the cheap.

There are great titles coming out for both systems in the future and I am looking forward to mroe portable gaming.

If I have any complaints at all it is the PSP needs a new battery. The PSP battery is horrible and sony needs to replace it with a high end battery soon.

No one is being forced to buy any titles at $50 or UMDs at $30. Hopefully these prices, with the help of the average consumer will drop due to poor sales.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree I don't think I've paid full price for any game in a long time. Hell I got my PSP for free after the TRU\EB deal. The thing is now I realize I'm buying games for 2 home consoles (GC + PS2) plus 3 portables SP, DS, PSP. That doesn't include picking up games for older systems here and there.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I guess Nintendogs is a system seller for the DS.[/QUOTE]

In Japan. Don't forget they have different living circumstances that we do, with an overall small living space for the population. This small space makes it very difficult for most to have pets such as dogs. This leads to a huge interest in games that simulate having pets like the tamogotchi craze and this new nintendogs craze. Here in the states, for most of us it's easy to have pets so the value of the games won't be as great. I seriously doubt that it'll be as much as a system seller here as it was in Japan.

[quote name='basketkase543']In Japan. Don't forget they have different living circumstances that we do, with an overall small living space for the population. This small space makes it very difficult for most to have pets such as dogs. This leads to a huge interest in games that simulate having pets like the tamogotchi craze and this new nintendogs craze. Here in the states, for most of us it's easy to have pets so the value of the games won't be as great. I seriously doubt that it'll be as much as a system seller here as it was in Japan.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was because the Japanese were "wacky"

I would be utterly shocked if the PSP "bombs" and even if it bombs well at least you have a Mp3 player. I love both my new systems, regardless of owning only 1 game for each. (ZooKeeper and Untold Legends) I'm sure by Christmas the games will be picking up. I'm looking forward to it.

[quote name='AngellicLulu']I would be utterly shocked if the PSP "bombs" and even if it bombs well at least you have a Mp3 player.[/QUOTE]

True, albeit a $250 MP3 player that holds 10 songs.

[quote name='AngellicLulu']I would be utterly shocked if the PSP "bombs" and even if it bombs well at least you have a Mp3 player. I love both my new systems, regardless of owning only 1 game for each. (ZooKeeper and Untold Legends) I'm sure by Christmas the games will be picking up. I'm looking forward to it.[/QUOTE]

The PSP can't bomb as far as I'm concerned. It already has Hot Shots Golf and Lumines. Plus, Burnout and GTA are coming.

[quote name='epobirs']DS' success but as a failure of the PSP's library to date. Even if the DS didn't exist I don't think the PSP would be doing much better without more to qualify the price.[/QUOTE]So, how is the DualScreen doing in sales?

Perhaps the PSP will end up in the same trashbin as the Wonderswan? The only PSP game that I thought looked interesting, was a Marble Madness-type game with a liquid ball (Quicksilver?). The rest didn't interest me.

Also, I think the PSP is targeting the wrong market. Sony's targeting games for adults, who really don't have any spare time for "on the go gaming". Most adults are too busy driving, working, or shopping.

It's the kids that have tones of free time to kill, and that's who Sony should design the games for.

Anyone know if there will be a DS Player for my Cube?

troy

You are a DS fan, you must be a little kid then. ;)

I am an adult, and don't have a ton of free time, which is why I like my PSP better than my home console (except N64).

[quote name='evilmax17']The controls look like they're going to be horrendous.[/QUOTE]

Not according to IGN: http://psp.ign.com/articles/613/613710p1.html?fromint=1

[quote name='IGN']The only thing to really get used to in Coded Arms is the controls. This isn't a PC, or a console controller, so understandably sacrifices had to be made to accommodate a functional handheld control scheme. The face buttons control which way your character looks, while the analog nub controls where he walks. Once you adapt, they're completely functional in multiplayer. If you can't use the default settings, you can change them to whatever you want them to be. The only thing is that the default setting are the most comfortable choice.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='flybrione']UMDs are not worth anymore than $15 and some of the prices are just insane.

If I have any complaints at all it is the PSP needs a new battery. The PSP battery is horrible and sony needs to replace it with a high end battery soon.[/QUOTE]
I see people complain about high UMD prices, but I see that most of them are in the $14 range online and in ads. The original UMD MSRP's have all but dropped to prices that are low enough for consumers to consider.

As for the battery, batteries are so fucking expensive that it's not funny. To get a much better battery would add to the price and I'm thinking most people aren't willing to pay $50 or more on top of the $250 they'd already spend for a few more hours of juice. You can just charge the damn thing at night when you go to bed, just like I do with my cell phone so that my batteries aren't running out when I need them.

EDIT: You people seem to bitch so much on how the DS is a better system than the PSP and vice versa, it's just getting so damn redundant after the thousandth time you reiterate the same crap. I direct you to VG Cats, who definitely tells you to stop being fanbabies.

Dunno DS games here seem pretty sad so far, I'm pretty sure the PSP is doing better than DS here, but who knows. At least on our site it is. DS ranks under Gameboy (not even advance) typically. PSP has stayed strong even above gamecube since it's launch.

[quote name='Zoglog']Dunno DS games here seem pretty sad so far, I'm pretty sure the PSP is doing better than DS here, but who knows. At least on our site it is. DS ranks under Gameboy (not even advance) typically. PSP has stayed strong even above gamecube since it's launch.[/QUOTE]

Heh, care to find numbers to back up your claims?

I won both a DS and a PSP and can say a few things:

I don't think one system is better than another, where one is weak the other is stronger. Now, as a culter, people's attitude towards a market will either drasticly or slightly change. I think alot of japanese gamers are wanting newer/more creative titles. Right now the market is getting too cluttered with sequals and rehashes of generes. Proof of wanting of something creative is the extreme sales of Nintendogs in Japan (mark my words, i've said this many times before, but Nintendogs WILL be the new pokemon when it hits the states, don't know if that's good or bad). Nintendo has tapped into this, moving along with what its audience is progressing towards. they have created a ton of new, interesting titles (trace memory, electroplankton).

Now I hope not to sound like i may be bashing Sony, because I love the crazy apps they always come out with, but sony seems to be focusing on what American gamers look for more often than Japanese. Example: You will have higher chances of americans being concerned more about graphics than gameplay, as japanese are totally opposite. Sony's machine is more of a graphical powerhouse, thus being stonger in the american market. DS brings in a whole slew of new ways to have a certain gameplay experience. Again, one is not better than the other, just the crowds tend to be pulled in one direction more than the other crowd.

I myself have always loved my portables more than my home consoles. I have no idea why (maybe because my first system was a Game Boy), as I don't travel much.

Things that may change the market in favor of:

PSP:
-Make EA lower their prices as they are too damn high
-allow people to be more free on home brew apps
-release more 1st party games, as they sell cheaper and usually are higher in quality (note: Sony IS doing this, working on development of Killzone for the PSP)
17-killzoneleaked.jpg

cretid goes to PSP O Mag

DS:
-Make online happen (later in year is happening)
-Release all ages/all sexes games (nintendogs)
-market towards girls also, since this is the most girl friendly system i have ever seen

[quote name='evilmax17']Heh, care to find numbers to back up your claims?[/QUOTE]

i'm talking about my retail site in particular in terms of popularity. They may not be a perfect indicator but it's such a big difference I find it hard to believe it's an isolated Incident.

DS had a similar boost in popularity when it was released but it died rather quickly. We only deal with US by the way.

[quote name='Quackzilla']PSP better than my home console (except N64).[/QUOTE]

The N64?? Whats that? Oh....you mean Nintendo Home DS....

O.K. Now if Sony is making a Killzone for PSP then I may actually buy one soon, but primarily for that game. You might have just suaded. That's just awesome. I really really enjoyed Killzone on PS2.

lets face it, the psp is slick as hell, and neither system will have amazing killer apps until this fall/winter... but the reason i chose the ds over the psp, as many others have noted, is the price point. the psp is just too damn expensive, i mean an initial start up cost of nearly 500 dollars (psp, 1gig stick, 3 games) is just far too much, from what we are reading id be able to buy an xbox 360 and a couple of games... which i would be much more inclined to do this winter

Coded Arms might be a killer app, it seems to be the perfect handheld FPS because it has minimal story and crap and is all action.

It's a pick-up-and-play game, very rare for the FPS genre.

And by the way, I bought Mercury at Best Buy the other day, and the [hot] girl at the checkout counter was saying how cute the case was and then she started flirting with me!

PSP can help you pick up chicks!

they should just lower their prices for games and stop being so greedy.
or at the least offer some kind of rebates.

The question is why are people even buying EA games?

They are not even worth the media they are printed on.

THEY ALL SUCK ASS.

Buy a real game, seriously.

Wow no one has mentioned Metroid Prime: Hunters for DS that game alone will make people buy DS's when it comes out.

I don't know about that, Metroid Prime 2 was kind of weak compared to the first.

Many people (mostly mainstream gamers) have probably been turned off by the repetitive nature of the games.

[quote name='Quackzilla']The question is why are people even buying EA games?

They are not even worth the media they are printed on.

THEY ALL SUCK ASS.

Buy a real game, seriously.[/QUOTE]

Really? I can understand not liking Madden (I like it) but what about SSX3 or Burnout 3 or some other non-sports games... unless you count snowboarding and racing as sports... ;)

[quote name='javeryh']Really? I can understand not liking Madden (I like it) but what about SSX3 or Burnout 3 or some other non-sports games... unless you count snowboarding and racing as sports... ;)[/QUOTE]

Burnout 3 doesn't count, Criterion made it, they're awesome programmers. people rave about SSX3 but I personally still like the Tony Hawks better.

[quote name='ramprider0']Wow no one has mentioned Metroid Prime: Hunters for DS that game alone will make people buy DS's when it comes out.[/QUOTE]

I think it would have been a killer app if it has online, but sadly, it doesn't.

hopefully they would delay it and add it, though doubtful.

Hey on that Value Pack has to go note, why in the hell are they selling these crappy accessories seperately? Seriously I mean $20 bucks a piece for these crummy accessories that everyone who has a psp already has, what is up with that?

[quote name='Purkeynator']Hey on that Value Pack has to go note, why in the hell are they selling these crappy accessories seperately? Seriously I mean $20 bucks a piece for these crummy accessories that everyone who has a psp already has, what is up with that?[/QUOTE]

I guess they are meant to be replacements....
a few people here said their remotes broke on
them already. I should try and get rid of that
extra stuff....I don't use it anyway.

[quote name='Quackzilla']I don't know about that, Metroid Prime 2 was kind of weak compared to the first.

Many people (mostly mainstream gamers) have probably been turned off by the repetitive nature of the games.[/QUOTE]

Err... in my case...

Metroid Prime - Got to the sunken ship - just stopped.

Metroid Prime 2 - Played 48 hours straight and beat the game due to addiction.

Maybe I was the only one.

bread's done
Back