PSP Go thread-

[quote name='Tux.Bobble']I have a question. Is it confirmed that the new PSP Go will also be wireless-b, and not g? There are only a few things keeping me from becoming a new PSP guy, but that is one of them. (not to mention the not-so-stellar battery life, and the hefty price tag!)

I like the redesign, because the old PSPs just didn't fit my hands right. The analog nub was too far down and cramped my thumb. But if this is going to lack physical games and UMD media, I need a faster wireless connection. I don't want my whole home network to slow down to b-speeds when I've got a PSP connected--not to mention last I checked it didn't support WPA2 security. (not sure about WPA, or if this has been updated) I share too many files on my home network to be okay with an 80% speed reduction in my network.[/QUOTE]

Yep, it's wi-fi b still, I suppose to save on battery life? Personally I think wi-fi b is quick enough for the PSP, downloading vids and demos from the PSN seems pretty quick to me. If games start to become 1gig though, I'm not so sure then.
I think if you have a newer wireless router with MIMO technology, it should circumvent the whole wireless network from slowing down to b speeds. The PSP has supported WPA for a while, it has settings for WPA-PSK (TKIP) and WPA-PSK (AES).

Thanks for the post Cthulu. I had been the one to set my roommate's PSP up (college) and that was ~2 years ago. I couldn't remember if it didn't support WPA2, or didn't support WPA at all. But as long as it supports WPA I'll be fine with that. (Just got another wifi device that only uses WPA, not WPA2, so I backed my network down anyway. By the way Eye-Fi is an awesome device for the less-than-tech-savvy, like my mother and father!)

On another note...well...I'm still not crazy about 802.11b. G has been out since before the PSP was launched originally...there's really no excuse for not having it here. I'm ok with the lack of touch screen. The second analog would be wonderful, but I understand why they didn't add it... I just don't understand why an 11Mbps connection as opposed to a 54Mbps connection. And honestly, g isn't really more expensive than b anymore, so skimping doesn't make all that much sense...

Oh well, my woes are certainly to fall on deaf ears, since it's not a common complaint--it'll get overlooked with all the touch screen and nub problems lol... Again thanks for the response Cthulu.

Oh and to elaborate on one more thing...my only debate right now is whether to wait for the PSP2 or go with the Go. I mean, yes the PSP (like the PS2, PS3) are intended to have "10 year life cycles"...but I mean, look at the PS2. It's still "going strong" in a sense...but the PS3 was launched in 2006, only 6 years after the PS2.

Given that the PSP was released in 2005, I'm wondering how long before the PSP2 will show up. And yet at the same time I like the Go much better than the original PSP design, so I would like to support it and show Sony that it's what I want.

Argh, so torn. If only it weren't $250, this decision would be MUCH easier...

I can't believe the battery life is going to be the same if games aren't on UMD anymore? If that's true that's a real bad move.

I wish wish Nintendo would get on the stick and put the entire NES libary on Wiiware so I could sell (yes I would sell) my entire NES collection to play them on the Wii1, Wii2 etc.

I have a question about this Media Go. :wall:
Trying to install it. I get "Unable to to write to the temp directory in C:\...Temp. Check that you have access to this directory"

So I go there.
And I have access.
????

WTF?

sorry if its been asked before, but have they already discontinued the psp-2000? I noticed that it was still up at some retailers (i.e. dell.com). I read that the psp-2000 doesn't display those weird interlacing lines, but that the psp-3000 has better colors. I would love to get a psp go, but my hands are sorta huge, i don't like the placement of the analog, too expensive, and the screen is kinda small for me...Anyway so the psp-3000 is gonna stay on the shelves (will it get a price drop then????), so i was assuming they are discontinuing the 2000? If by any chance someone could clue me in to the fact that the 3000 is definitely better than the 2000 that would be cool too...wouldn't mind getting that dissidia bundle...

lilboo: Mine installed fine, so maybe redownloading the install file could fix that issue.

riddler: I'm guessing that the 2000 was discontinued when the 3000 was released last year, so you may just be seeing whatever stock they have left. I doubt the 3000 gets dropped in price since they probably want to keep it as the cheaper option for those that don't want to pay the money for the Go. I only have a 1000, so you'll have to wait for somebody else to comment on whether the 2000 or 3000 is better.

Rolento I am disgusted with you. You're an importer like myself, don't think we won't get fucked somehow with this, especially if the game drop thing is what happens instead of an online deal.

Seriously I'm skeptical of seeing "DJ Max Portable" and both "Pump It Up" games hitting the download code. There's also the matter of seeing "Princess Crown" and "Devil Summoner" as well as "Astonishia Story R" for myself.
All this being said I'd almost jump at putting "Gradius Portable" on a memory stick since it's a clusterfuck in Konami's BAD programming. I like the collection but the load time is awful to what it should be and it sucks up the battery like crack for some reason.
I forgot to mention planning on picking up "Salamander Portable", "Parodius Portable" and "Twinbee Portable".
Also just looking at the PSP Go I feel like my hands would be cramped. The price is a joke as well. I'd just as soon rip some games off the UMD unofficially to my current PSP-1000. At least I don't have to worry about Sony fucking me over in the good will thing. It's not like it doesn't support 16 gb. memory stick already.
On a side note I wish Sony could get their shit together on memory stick duo pricing being better and bigger. Those SD HC card costs are great and it's a fraction of the size of the duo for crying out loud!

[quote name='Sarang01']Rolento I am disgusted with you. You're an importer like myself, don't think we won't get fucked somehow with this, especially if the game drop thing is what happens instead of an online deal.
[/QUOTE]

I don't import that much at all to be honest, and I support indie dev more than I do importing so that may be my reason behind backing this.

I do agree with you though, this does suck balls for importing.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']lilboo: Mine installed fine, so maybe redownloading the install file could fix that issue.
[/QUOTE]

Tried. Did not work.
Where can I get Media Manager 3.0? This sucks.

[quote name='riddler']sorry if its been asked before, but have they already discontinued the psp-2000? I noticed that it was still up at some retailers (i.e. dell.com). I read that the psp-2000 doesn't display those weird interlacing lines, but that the psp-3000 has better colors. I would love to get a psp go, but my hands are sorta huge, i don't like the placement of the analog, too expensive, and the screen is kinda small for me...Anyway so the psp-3000 is gonna stay on the shelves (will it get a price drop then????), so i was assuming they are discontinuing the 2000? If by any chance someone could clue me in to the fact that the 3000 is definitely better than the 2000 that would be cool too...wouldn't mind getting that dissidia bundle...[/QUOTE]

It's funny because I have the same problem of hands being too big...but I actually think the analog placement will make it BETTER for larger hands like mine, despite the actual reduction in size. Sounds weird I know, but I'm just speculating--haven't had any hands-on experience at this point...

If you are a import fan there is nothing to worry about. Just pick up some Japanese PSN points and you could grab whatever you want on the Japanese store.

Delete whatever PSN account you currently have attached and enter the details for the Japanese PSN account you already have to get access to the Japanese PS Store. It's probably easier to just download it on the PS3 and transfer it over, though you'll still need to be logged in with the Japanese account to play whatever you've downloaded.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Delete whatever PSN account you currently have attached and enter the details for the Japanese PSN account you already have to get access to the Japanese PS Store. It's probably easier to just download it on the PS3 and transfer it over, though you'll still need to be logged in with the Japanese account to play whatever you've downloaded.[/QUOTE]

Makes sense. However, are you saying if I have a JPN PSN game and a USA PSN game on my PSP I will only be able to play one or the other depending on which account I am logged into? Thanks.

[quote name='Eldios']Makes sense. However, are you saying if I have a JPN PSN game and a USA PSN game on my PSP I will only be able to play one or the other depending on which account I am logged into? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Just wait for the first hacks, and the problem will be solved for you. :p

Yea I probably will. I have CFW on my 2000 and really enjoy it for ripping my UMD ISOs and playing them off of the memory card. Will be curious to see how Sony plans to address current PSP owners who want to upgrade.

[quote name='Eldios']Yea I probably will. I have CFW on my 2000 and really enjoy it for ripping my UMD ISOs and playing them off of the memory card. Will be curious to see how Sony plans to address current PSP owners who want to upgrade.[/QUOTE]

Talk big to placate the masses and load every one up with DRM-bloated downloadables.

I wouldn't trade a tangible and liquid good for a virtual and illiquid item. Unless something dramatic happens, I don't see any benefit for the consumer; especially for, CFW users. You all will have to wait and see.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Eldios']Yea I probably will. I have CFW on my 2000 and really enjoy it for ripping my UMD ISOs and playing them off of the memory card. Will be curious to see how Sony plans to address current PSP owners who want to upgrade.[/QUOTE]

Talk big to placate the masses and load every one up with DRM-bloated downloads.

PSP Go - details. "Good Will" limited UMD program coming. + new Glitter White
signature_deepthakur.jpg
:)

[quote name='opportunity777']Just wait for the first hacks, and the problem will be solved for you. :p[/QUOTE]

Considering the PSP-3000 is a bitch to hack I dont think the PSP Go will be any easier.

[quote name='Malik112099']Considering the PSP-3000 is a bitch to hack I dont think the PSP Go will be any easier.[/QUOTE]

The first ones always face a more difficult road.

[quote name='opportunity777']The first ones always face a more difficult road.[/QUOTE]

The PSP Go's guts are the same as the PSP-3000's. Without a removable battery and UMDs it is going to be even harder to hack the PSP Go.

[quote name='Malik112099']The PSP Go's guts are the same as the PSP-3000's. Without a removable battery and UMDs it is going to be even harder to hack the PSP Go.[/QUOTE]

Plenty of devices without a UMD drive and removable battery are broken.

Harder or not, it will happen. I'm amazed by human ingenuity.

[quote name='opportunity777']Plenty of devices without a UMD drive and removable battery are broken.

Harder or not, it will happen. I'm amazed by human ingenuity.[/QUOTE]

Just like the PS3 right? More than 2 years and they still havent been able to play backup games

[quote name='62t']Just like the PS3 right? More than 2 years and they still havent been able to play backup games[/QUOTE]

The incentive to hack the PS3 is not there. You have to remember that the real smart people, the ones who know how to actually code and find exploits, are linux users. They had Linux installable on the PS3 on day 1 legally from sony. So automagically, 99.9% of the actual people who CAN hack the ps3 do not bother with it. Ontop of that, the 0.1% left that can are very happy playing pirated games on the 360.

Really, the ps3 is in a weird position, and i dont see it getting hacked anytime soon. Most people who want it cracked have 0 ability to do so and just whine about it. Thats 99.9% of piraters out there.

[quote name='62t']Just like the PS3 right? More than 2 years and they still havent been able to play backup games[/QUOTE]

Backup PS2 games work on the 20 and 60 GB PS3s.

One day, I think it will be done. I remember people pirating GameCube games way before it was broken open.

The Saturn was never completely broken, but hard mods allowed people to play backups.

[quote name='Malik112099']Seriously. The psp no wont be hacked anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

Until it comes out, we won't know how hard it is to break.

The EU PS Blog has a nice Q&A post answering questions about the Go:

Hi everyone. My name’s Adam and I am the European Product Manager for PSPgo. Thanks to all who answered the call earlier this week and submitted questions, we have literally had hundreds! It is great to see that there is so much interest in PSPgo. I will try to answer as many as I can but any questions not answered in this post will be answered in forthcoming updates. I will provide you with as much detail as I can.

xeeki: Are there any technological improvements over the PSP-3000? Like, the screen, or hardware-wise…

Xeeki has asked about detail on the technological improvements of PSPgo over other models. The 2 biggest differences are the removal of the UMD drive and the new design. PSPgo replaces the UMD drive with 16GB of flash memory and the stylish slide open design has made the PSPgo smaller and lighter than ever making it truly pocket-size.

We have also added 3 new features:

• Game sleep function: You will be able to operate the XMB™ (XrossMediaBar) while suspending the gameplay temporarily.
  • Bluetooth function: This is going to let you use your favourite wireless head phones to listen to music, play games and watch videos….
  • Clock and calendar application: We have included a clock and calendar application which can be viewed both when the sliding panel is open and closed.
Nemhome: Will the PSPgo be delivered with a USB cable?

I am happy to say that the answer is yes. PSPgo will come bundled with everything you need for you to start enjoying all it has to offer. Included in the box along with the PSPgo will be a USB cable, AC adaptor and Media Go software.

PSPgo comes bundled with Media Go, which is an easy to use PC application that makes it simple for you to browse PlayStation Store, as well as organise and store all your favourite downloaded games, demos, music, movies and photos.

We know that being able to effectively store, organise and access your content is key so we have created a video to help explain how you can make the most of PSPgo. Check it out.

disc: What is the battery life like?

We have adopted an embedded battery to realise a smaller and lighter PSP system. The battery life is equivalent with the current models meaning approximately 3 to 6 hours for gameplays and approximately 3 to 5 hours for playing back videos. Hope that answers your question disc.

KSPRAYDAD has been asking about peripherals so here is an update:

The peripherals on offer at launch for PSPgo are USB cable, AC adaptor, Video-out cables (AV cable and component AV cable) and a Cradle. We are currently considering introducing other peripherals for PSPgo but can not provide details at this point.

Another big question was if the current peripherals can be used with PSPgo. We have reduced the size of the USB connector and introduced multi-function features which has allowed us to obtain a smaller and lighter PSP. As such the peripherals for the current PSP models do not currently work on PSPgo however we are considering introducing a special attachment that can connect current peripherals to PSPgo.

Can I download games on to a memory stick?

PSPgo is disc free with a 16GB of built-in memory for storing all your essential games, videos, photos and music. However if you do fill this up there are a couple of options to store and manage your games, music, videos and photos. You will be able to back up to a PC via Media Go or to the M2 Memory Stick to store more content for PSPgo.

Torence: Why have you changed the format of the removable memory?

Torence has asked the above question and it is a good one. PSPgo uses M2 memory sticks which are smaller and take up less room on the device. This meant that we saved space and could make the PSPgo pocket-sized. However, you will be able to transfer the data from your Memory Stick Duo to your PC via Media Go and then transfer it to the PSPgo or M2.

theTMO / pavianexodus: Will it be possible to transfer my UMD games to the new PSPgo?

We know that there are many of you excited about PSPgo but are hesitant at leaving your UMD games collection behind. We recognize this and as such we are planning a goodwill programme and will unveil more details soon.

We also know that there are many already released UMD games that you may not own but want to play in the future on your PSPgo. To make this happen we are considering every possibility to bring downloadable versions for the majority of past titles available only in UMD to the PlayStation Store along with all new releases. We will announce further details on this.

How much will PSPgo cost?

Many of you have asked about the price of PSPgo throughout Europe and the PAL territories and we announced at E3 that PSPgo will retail in Europe at 249 Euros. Many of you have asked more specifically what price this will mean in your local currency.

Unfortunately at this stage we are unable to define prices in countries where the Euro is not present at this time but I can assure you that as soon as these prices have been agreed upon I will let you know.

Will the price differ between the UMD version and the downloadable version?

I know this is something that is a concern for you. Unfortunately, I don’t have the answer for you on this at the moment. I can however assure you that I will share this information with you as soon as I get it.

I hope I have managed to answer some of the most burning questions! Feedback is always welcome and we do appreciate all the comments and questions. I will be posting regularly to update you on the latest information on PSPgo.

Thanks!
Adam

Not much that's new, but it's nice to see that they'll bundle the new USB cable with the PSP and may have an adapter to allow the peripherals that are already out to work with the Go.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The EU PS Blog has a nice Q&A post answering questions about the Go:

Not much that's new, but it's nice to see that they'll bundle the new USB cable with the PSP and may have an adapter to allow the peripherals that are already out to work with the Go.[/QUOTE]

If they don't release an adapter, then it would be a total joke.

[quote name='opportunity777']If they don't release an adapter, then it would be a total joke.[/QUOTE]

Might as well, as soon as someone figured out the pin-outs there would likely be a Chinese made one hit the market anyway.

Still, people will certainly buy the new peripherals/cables regardless.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']You do know it's glitterriffic with crystal buttons and not just white right? I guess it's sexy, if your into wearing négligée and heels.

white-psp-go-h-o-2009-06-05_07-25-39-rm-eng.jpg
[/QUOTE]

you're talking to a guy with a rose pink DS.

theTMO / pavianexodus: Will it be possible to transfer my UMD games to the new PSPgo?

We know that there are many of you excited about PSPgo but are hesitant at leaving your UMD games collection behind. We recognize this and as such we are planning a goodwill programme and will unveil more details soon.

Ya, but what about people who have both systems and want to play the games they have NOW on both systems? Looks like we will be SOL and have to pick one system to play it on and say "oh well" for the other.

This is the one thing that pisses me off over anything else about this GO.

there's news of an app store releasing down the line, which I had predictions about a while ago... would propel the PSP to new heights since the titles will be nothing bigger than 100mb and under $6.

[quote name='opportunity777']Until it comes out, we won't know how hard it is to break.[/QUOTE]

What aren't you understanding? The PSP Go is a PSP-3000 with LESS access for hacking (read: no umd drive and no removable battery). We already know how hard it will be to break. Harder than the PSP Go. The only outside access to the Go will be removable storage and a USB cable which the 3000 already has.

Anyone know if the psp web browser will be improved in the go? The browser right now is pretty much crap.

[quote name='Malik112099']What aren't you understanding? The PSP Go is a PSP-3000 with LESS access for hacking (read: no umd drive and no removable battery). We already know how hard it will be to break. Harder than the PSP Go. The only outside access to the Go will be removable storage and a USB cable which the 3000 already has.[/QUOTE]

What aren't you understanding? Without a battery hack, the 3000 is already broken.

If something is redesigned, then other flaws are always revealed and need to be plugged up. Maybe, nobody will find the flaws, but right now, its initial hack-ability is pure speculation.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The EU PS Blog has a nice Q&A post answering questions about the Go:

Game sleep function: You will be able to operate the XMB™ (XrossMediaBar) while suspending the gameplay temporarily.
[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, even my PSPhat already does this. Maybe they're adding actual functionality within the suspend mode, like listening to music or something?

[quote name='Nibi']you're talking to a guy with a rose pink DS.[/QUOTE]

Zing! :rofl:

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I don't see an option for in-game XMB on my 1000.[/QUOTE]

Unless I'm understanding this wrong, isn't the XMB access simply hitting the Home button when in a game? Come to think of it maybe I'm imagining things and it doesn't work in games but only during other functionalities such as playing a video...

D'oh! Once I get home I'll have to check!

Pushing the home button while playing a game just asks if you want to quit back to the XMB. You can pull up the XMB during other things like music and video though.

One would think if it is a software based feature it would be available to all other PSPs unless the firmware for the PSP Go will be different.

A whole bunch of new pics. Some new angles, showing off the power adapter, and some nice 3000/go comparison shots. Looking really good.

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20090626_296691.html?ref=rss

Poor google translation reveals:
"As a function of the software, XMB (KUROSUMEDIABA) games, videos, music and photos and the ability to directly access the content, which can be closed when the clock display, gameplay The state temporarily suspended during, XMB unique features on the various actions could be "functional GEMUSURIPU" the engine. In addition, Bluetooth 2.0 support to the results, "PSPgo and PlayStation 3" controller (DUALSHOCK3/SIXAXIS) to connect to, it is possible to use the controller."

More on the "GEMUSURIPU function". Seems to be a new functionality coming to all PSPs allowing you to interrrupt a game to view media, use browser or listen to music. Allowing you to resume game play at any time.

"PSPgo stopped the game and during gameplay does, XMB (KUROSUMEDIABA) return, you can use other functions. And stopped the play of the game, for example, see the official website or call the browser game, a good example. Software that is later aborted "Resume Game" to choose to play. Unlike the traditional functions of sleep, "GEMUSURIPU" deeds, not consume battery power if OFF. This feature has not been flushed to main memory can deliver PSP-1000/2000/3000."

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back