PSP Memory Card Question

Megamibeast

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
So I just got a psp in a trade and it didn't came with a memory card. So I would like to get a good one. I just don't know anything about them. Hopefully you guys can answer some question I have.

Whats better Sandisk or Sony brand? Would any memory card work for the PSP? Whats the difference between DUO, Pro Duo, and Ultra? Whats a good size to get?
Ant goods deals out there now? Also anybody know what kind of 1gb Memory card the PSP Bundle include? Is it the pro duo or just duo?

Thanks

afaik, sandisk is a sony brand, but the sandisk label is better than the sony label. only the pro duo's work for the psp - i think its a form thing, not a function problem. ultra cards are older cards i think. the new sandisk colored cards are the way to go imo. i would buy a 1gb stiick if i had the funds, otherwise i'm stuck w/my 512mb and can only fit smaller games, ahem, stuff on it. the new bundles will come with the sony label 1gb msproduo.

I got a san disk mem card and I dont think thee is a differance between it and the sony kind. Youll need at least 256mb one though.

[quote name='minos1067']afaik, sandisk is a sony brand, but the sandisk label is better than the sony label. only the pro duo's work for the psp - i think its a form thing, not a function problem. ultra cards are older cards i think. the new sandisk colored cards are the way to go imo. i would buy a 1gb stiick if i had the funds, otherwise i'm stuck w/my 512mb and can only fit smaller games, ahem, stuff on it. the new bundles will come with the sony label 1gb msproduo.[/QUOTE]

Sandisk is not affiliated with Sony outside of developing MS formats, according to their website.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']If you want a decent deal, 128mb SanDisk Memory Stick Duo is on Clearance at TRU for 19.99[/QUOTE]
t
he 512 MB card is goin to be $29.99 @ best buy after rebate this upcoming black friday...

I believe what all the comparison tests (gamespot, EGM, etc) have said is that Sony's sticks have more memory after formatting (not much, only like 10-20mb) but the Sandisk's have slower write speeds.

That is for the normal pro duo's. Not sure about the "Ultra"'s.

[quote name='Bezerker']I believe what all the comparison tests (gamespot, EGM, etc) have said is that Sony's sticks have more memory after formatting (not much, only like 10-20mb) but the Sandisk's have slower write speeds.

That is for the normal pro duo's. Not sure about the "Ultra"'s.[/QUOTE]

I think you mean the Sandisk had "faster" write speeds. Also Sandisk used to make the memory sticks for Sony though I am not sure if that is still the case. Sandisk usually cost less and have equal or greater quality so I say go with the Sandisk. As mentioned earlier there will be deals after Thanksgiving so you may want to wait and save some money. 1 GB is becoming the "sweet spot" for price vs value right now.

[quote name='javeryh']The 1GB is $50 at buy.com. You need the pro duo I think because the pro won't fit in there...[/QUOTE]
thats a good bargin.

[quote name='Purkeynator']I think you mean the Sandisk had "faster" write speeds.[/QUOTE]

DOH! Not sure why i put slower... I had just woken up, guess thats my excuse.

[quote name='javeryh']The 1GB is $50 at buy.com. You need the pro duo I think because the pro won't fit in there...[/QUOTE]

great price...might jump on this when/if i get one

The Memory Stick Duo comes in three flavours: Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick Pro Duo and Memory Stick Pro Duo High Speed. Each type has an increasing write speed with MS Pro Duo clocking in at 15 Mbps and MS Pro Duo High Speed at 80 Mbps. These speeds are moot if you are using a USB connected PSP to transfer files as the PSP can only write at approx. 10 Mbps. You will see a difference however, when using a flash MS reader designed for these newer cards, as they will allow you to transfer files much faster.

from the psp video 9 website :)

Where on Buy.com is it $50? I just checked there and the cheapest one I saw was $81.99.

EDIT: Never mind. I was looking at the Gamer version. The regular one is $69.99 before $20 MIR though, but still a good deal.

the gamer version of Sandisk's memory sticks are the biggest ripoff I have ever seen. They are more expensive and they don't come with the Memory stick adapter, which means you can only use the PSP to write onto it (and a Sony Camera for me). The only reason people like the gamer cards is b/c they look nice. They are definitely not worth it.

bread's done
Back