PSP or DS???

xgemini87

CAGiversary!
With the new PSP Go coming Oct. 1st with all digital gaming and DS lite's getting cheaper, which is the better investment??

The battle begins... :twoguns:

funny-dog-pictures-dog-makes-scooby-doo-noise.jpg

You really can't go wrong with Nintendo's best franchises, Mario and Legend of Zelda games. Mario Kart, Mario and Luigi, Super Mario Bros, Phantom Hourglass...

DS, most of DS games imo are easily pick up and play, put down and forget games. Granted PSP is a PS2 handheld, if I wanna play some of the higher end games on it I'll just fire up a console. There's something about the DS that just feels right for handheld gaming. PSP GO is overrated and overpriced. Cool as it may seem, I've always preferred the DS.

You said it yourself, "which is the better investment?"

[quote name='100xp']DS, most of DS games imo are easily pick up and play, put down and forget games. Granted PSP is a PS2 handheld, if I wanna play some of the higher end games on it I'll just fire up a console. There's something about the DS that just feels right for handheld gaming. PSP GO is overrated and overpriced. Cool as it may seem, I've always preferred the DS.

You said it yourself, "which is the better investment?"[/QUOTE]

yeah you're right about the psp go being pricey... 250 smackers. but it does seem pretty cool. if only sony could learn that people dont have that kind of money to throw around nowadays...

PSP.
Better games (well, assuming you're not in the 8-13 market)*.
Can play videos and music.
Sexy-looking.
DarkSageRK will like you if you play it.

*Yes.

I don't own a PSP, but I love my DS and play it daily on my work commute.

Ironically, since the PSPgo is coming out, I'm thinking about grabbing an older PSP model with the UMD drive before they start to become scarce. I don't like the idea of the Go at all. I will not support a download only handheld (other than cellphone/iPhone games, which I don't care about).

I think I'm gonna pick up that PSP3000 Gran Turismo bundle that comes out in October. $50 cheaper than the Go and I get a game, a movie, and a memory card.

Uh, both? :) Seriously, they both have a ton of fun games. I might give the edge to PSP for the nicer screen, ability to download demos off the PSN store, and just overall being more flexible and feature-laden (plus it is the home of Crisis Core FF7, my single favorite portable game of this gen).

I own two psps, and a DS. They're really not comparable. It depends on what you want. If you like watching movies on a nice screen then by all means get the psp. If you really enjoy high quality graphics, then again the psp is your choice.

However, if you need a system that you can pick up and play with ease, has a long battery life, and hundreds of games at reasonable prices, then the DS should be your choice without hesitation. No, the graphics (especially beyond 2-d) are not comparable to the psp. But the level of immersion is just the same.

There're also tons of homebrew cards (no allowed to discuss here), that allow the DS to be a movie player and mp3 player. Again, not on the same level as the psp, but restricted by its limitations.

I have both, but I've played my PSP more due to my own personal tastes (initially got it for Tekken Dark Resurrection and Crisis Core, later played Jeanne D'Arc and Dissidia). The DS was a gift for my fiance, the only game I was interested in for it was the remake of Final Fantasy 4 (which was great btw).

As someone who owns both, I can definitely say that both are worth owning. If I was forced to choose one, I would probably go with the DS, though it's close. Also, I still have a DS Lite so I'm biased by the ability to play GBA games on it, which wouldn't be true if you got the DSi.

I had both, but I trade in my PSP cause there really wasn't a lot on it that appealed to me, thou now that the PSPGo is coming out I may look into getting a old PSP again.

I Love my DS

Just have to do some research into the games on each and see which are more to your liking as they have pretty different game libraries.

I've had a DS since launch--played it a ton from 2006-2007 especially, haven't touched it much since then. Combination of most of the good games being J-RPGs, text adventures, or random touch screen games which I don't dig much, and just not wanting to play on a small portable when I have 360 games I need to find time to play.

The PSP never interested me as I had no interest in playing essentially the same type of games I could get on a real console on my 50" TV on a tiny screen--DS I used for 2D games etc. that are sparse on the consoles. But that could be a plus if you actually need the portability for traveling a lot etc. I seldom take my DS out of the house, so it has to have games I want to play more than what I could be playing on the TV on a console.

The PSP is a nice system for the graphics and has some good games for it, but to me, it just doesn't have that lasting appeal. Of course, I can't really complain, as I bought mine back in 2007 for $50 off a former co-worker and the only thing wrong with it was that you needed to pry open the insert to put the disc in as the button for it didn't work.

As for a DS, I don't have too much experience with one outside of the random demos at Wally World or wherever, but what I notice is, while some of the titles seem a bit retarded or quirky (I'm looking at you Rythm Heaven), the games tend to be quite fun. Plus you have to loved franchises such as the marios, zeldas as well.

If I had the money, I would seriously consider getting a DS myself. Although I do have a question. For the DS, does nintendo have any improvements in the works or a new handheld possibly? My luck, I'd put money on a DS, then at E3, they'll announce something that makes it obsolete. Seems to happen to me all the time.

[quote name='bvharris']As someone who owns both, I can definitely say that both are worth owning. If I was forced to choose one, I would probably go with the DS, though it's close. Also, I still have a DS Lite so I'm biased by the ability to play GBA games on it, which wouldn't be true if you got the DSi.[/QUOTE]

So you can only play GBA games on a DS Lite and not a DSi?

I have a DS Lite and a PSP 2001. I prefer the PSP to the DS, but the games fit my playstyle better. Go to the metacritic page for both systems and look at the top 50 games for each. Choose your system based on that.

Don't like the DS that much, (vs the PSP) But I can't recommend a PSPgo at 249.99... Might as well go with the DS... its cheaper and a pretty good deal at this time. I want a PSPgo, but you're only getting 16gb HDD and the memory card to expand the memory is going to be expensive. Its a produo mini... so to really get a memory card that's cheap... you'll have to wait for other companies to make the card. I wish that the PSPgo would have just used a regular memory stick pro duo.

[quote name='xgemini87']So you can only play GBA games on a DS Lite and not a DSi?[/QUOTE]

Correct.

They removed the GBA slot from the DSi.

ds. both can do pretty interesting things but imo youll only get the most out of a psp if you have a ps3 but with a ds you can do and lay tons of stuff. its an especially good deal if youre into retro gaming. pluss , and i hate to say this, the ds has the better game library imo.

I've got a DS, and if you are a Nintendo fan at all, the DS is a must. Prof. Layton, Zelda, Chrono Trigger... Get a DSi though b/c it has WPA encryption. Don't know if it has wireless G or not.

Get a PSP if you like games aimed at an older audience, and are not a big Nintendo fan.

The crappy thing about PSP is the WI-FI is outdated--even on the newest model.

I want a PSP, but I'm going to wait for the next iteration.

[quote name='JStryke']The PSP is a nice system for the graphics and has some good games for it, but to me, it just doesn't have that lasting appeal. Of course, I can't really complain, as I bought mine back in 2007 for $50 off a former co-worker and the only thing wrong with it was that you needed to pry open the insert to put the disc in as the button for it didn't work.

As for a DS, I don't have too much experience with one outside of the random demos at Wally World or wherever, but what I notice is, while some of the titles seem a bit retarded or quirky (I'm looking at you Rythm Heaven), the games tend to be quite fun. Plus you have to loved franchises such as the marios, zeldas as well.

If I had the money, I would seriously consider getting a DS myself. Although I do have a question. For the DS, does nintendo have any improvements in the works or a new handheld possibly? My luck, I'd put money on a DS, then at E3, they'll announce something that makes it obsolete. Seems to happen to me all the time.[/QUOTE]

Ido agree w/ what you said, and i will do the same thing i prefer DS and PSP, PSP GO will not be in my list

Nokie N-Gage is dead. And I actually owned one of them. Lol Taco phone =_=.

Anyways. I've had 2 Original fat DS (Silver and Blue)
And I got like 3 PSP Right now (Broken that was given to me to fix, Borrowing 1, and about to buy one :D, So it's considered 3 lol)

And I got to say. If you still have that child mentality and casual fun. I would go for the DS. Animal Crossing lasted me months, The hype for Mario Kart DS delivered, Alot of RPG games, etc. Huge library of DS games to choose from.

But if you have a PS3 and want to use full advantage of PS3 contents, go for the PSP. It's amazing because you can transfer PS1 games, Transfer pictures, music, etc. Amazing games i.e Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Dissidia, etc.

Really up to you.

If you've never owned a PSP, Don't like going to Gamestop, Don't want to carry UMD. Get a PSP GO. But if you have a whole library of UMD games, PSP 3000 is a sure win.

I say PSP for sure. I personally prefer mine (which is why I own three of them). And like Count said, if you want to get a lot of UMDs (and don't mind dealing with them), a PSP 3000 would be fine. But if you rather not and like the idea of having your games in one place, get a PSP Go (I love mine and feel it was worth it). I feel PSP is the best overall gaming platform between PS3/360/Wii/PSP/DS this generation personally.

My ranking goes: PSP Go > PSP 3000 > PSP 2000 > DSi > DS Lite.

DS is the best device for portable gaming. PSP is better for anything else you could want to do with a handheld system. I'm glad I own both. I'd much much much rather own a psp2000 and a DS lite than a PSP GO.

DS Lite doesn't require hacking to run homebrew, just a $10 Acekard and a Micro SD card. However, it's limited in ability to run emulators, thanks to the screen resolution being inferior for such a task. Oh, you can emulate Gameboy and Game Gear but any TV-based system is going to look awful on a DS screen.

You're also facing the fact that the PSP library is inferior to the DS.

Yes if you really love Mario go for the DS LoL actually most of the persons i met owns DS are kids, most of the games form DS IMO are Casual and Its Childs Play.. but DS do have great RPG games.

[quote name='Reichan']Yes if you really love Mario go for the DS LoL actually most of the persons i met owns DS are kids, most of the games form DS IMO are Casual and Its Childs Play.. but DS do have great RPG games.[/QUOTE]

I concur and want to hyperbole, TONS of RPG. :applause:

I have both systems (DSLite and a PSP2000). DS wins by a landslide.

The PSP is an impressive peice of hardware. It's got a beautiful screen, nice OS, movie playback, and the PSN store is a great feature. Unfortunately, the battery life sucks, and most of the games for the system just haven't been very engaging. The coolest feature to me, was the remote play, and the PSone classics- but the remote play is hardly used and it's kind of hard to play PSone games on the system because of the missing buttons.

The DS is a weaker peice of equipment, but for me the games have been more enjoyable, and innovative.

That said- if they were to sit down make an effort to exploit the systems strong points, I think it could compete with the DS in my house.

oh- and the PSP Go is a joke.

[quote name='Count']Nokie N-Gage is dead. And I actually owned one of them. Lol Taco phone =_=.[/QUOTE]

Best hand held Commodore 64 emulator I ever had, till I got my GP2X.

I prefer my PSP to my DS, but it really depends what kind of games you like. The poster who suggested looking at the Metacritic Top 50 for each had the right idea.

Don't buy into the hype of the Go or DSi, just find good conditioned used models of a DSlite or PSP-2000 (3000 if you can) and they'll probably be cheaper as a pair than either of the new handhelds. Best of both worlds ;)

You have to really look at the library. I would say the PSP library for the foreseeable future is better than the DS library, but it all depends on what you want to play. I haven't touched my DS since I got a PSP this spring.

Both systems have superb RPG collections. The biggest difference is the unique games on the DS (Ace Attorney series, Scribblenauts, Professor Layton, Nintendo series, etc.) vs. the portability of good console ports on the PSP (God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Syphon Filter, Rock Band Unplugged, Soul Calibur, etc.)

The PSP also has all of the same awesome old school compilation discs (Midway, Capcom, SNK, and Sega) from the PS2 along with an early 90's EA compilation (EA Replay.)

I also agree with QiG. If you're getting a DS get the Lite so you can still play all the awesome GBA games out there. There's nothing on the DSiWare store worth playing, until you start to see Nintendo ports of the games they released on the GBA.

The regular PSP's can download games also as long as you have room on the memory stick for them so try to find a PSP-2000 on clearance/good used condition if you can (the screen on the 3000 isn't as good.)

Well if you really like childs play go have a DS but still there are a handful of RPG's there, if im going to own a DS i think i will check the Megaman Series Availabe for that unit.

[quote name='MSUHitman']The regular PSP's can download games also as long as you have room on the memory stick for them so try to find a PSP-2000 on clearance/good used condition if you can (the screen on the 3000 isn't as good.)[/QUOTE]

Disagree there. There is a reason to get a 2000 over a 3000, but the screen isn't it. The screen on the 3000 is better. The question is do you want ghosting or scanlines?

[quote name='crystalklear64']Disagree there. There is a reason to get a 2000 over a 3000, but the screen isn't it. The screen on the 3000 is better. The question is do you want ghosting or scanlines?[/QUOTE]

I looked into this issue when I got my 3000 over the summer and it was way overblown. When I play my PSP I can't tell a damn thing is wrong with it so you can choose whether to buy into that or not. The only other thing I'll add is that PSP battery life is horrible, even when I was playing SotN from my memory stick it was still only good for about 6 hours tops whereas I get at least 10 if not more from a charge on my DSlite.

[quote name='QiG']Don't buy into the hype of the Go or DSi, just find good conditioned used models of a DSlite or PSP-2000 (3000 if you can) and they'll probably be cheaper as a pair than either of the new handhelds. Best of both worlds ;)[/QUOTE]

+1. This is great advice.

[quote name='QiG']I looked into this issue when I got my 3000 over the summer and it was way overblown. When I play my PSP I can't tell a damn thing is wrong with it so you can choose whether to buy into that or not.[/QUOTE]
I very recently purchased a japanese PSP-3000 (wanted the yellow one) and its fairly easy to see scanlines in any situation where the majority of the screen is moving. ex. in Monster Hunter when you're running and rotating the camera at the same time (which happens often when fighting bosses).

Likewise, I've seen on PSP-2000's with the ATV game the ghosting that occurs. Think of it as a faint blue outline that appears for a split second behind everything that moves.

Some people don't notice these things and in that case you're fine with any choice like QiG (though the 3000 would be best since you get the greater color range). But if scanlines in particular bother you (I prefer it to ghosting) then you'll want to get something other than the 3000.

In any event that is not the reason I was referring to for making your choice. I was referring to CFW.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Disagree there. There is a reason to get a 2000 over a 3000, but the screen isn't it. The screen on the 3000 is better. The question is do you want ghosting or scanlines?[/QUOTE]

Well I wasn't going to bring up the shady reason to get a 2000 series.

To fix the battery life you should really get that extended battery kit from Sony that has the fat battery. You'll get DS like battery charge lenghts with that one. There was a way earlier this spring to get the battery and the cover (you have to have a different cover for the fat battery) from separate websites for about $15 total shipped when the official Sony kit is sold at BB for $45.

LoL stop arguing both 2k and 3k performs well its just the PSP 3k needs a Homebrew Enabler Hack program to perform at its best.

bread's done
Back