Japanese Hardware Sales

February 19th-26th
Nintendo DS: 136,128
Sony PSP: 100,210
Nintendo Wii: 78,506
Sony PlayStation 3: 19,315
Sony PlayStation 2: 15,054
Microsoft Xbox360: 4,183

Monster Hunter Portable 2 brought the PSP right to 2nd place, behind the DS which is to me more of a living essential in Japan than a videogame system, apparently. You can blame Wii production issues all you want, numbers don't lie.

And why haven't any major news sites decided to pick up on this? Too good of a week for Sony or what?

While it looks good for this week, chances are the PSP's sales numbers are going to drop back down to around 30,000 a week once everyone buys Monster Hunter.

hmm well it did sell more than the Wii, and then you try to diminish the DS lite sales by saying its a "living essential". Oh what about that PS3? I see you dont mention it. The Lite is crushing sony by itself, the numbers dont lie.

stop acting like a
babycryhu6.jpg
and attacking other consoles

[quote name='TimPV3']And why haven't any major news sites decided to pick up on this? Too good of a week for Sony or what?[/QUOTE]

Confrontational much? The news came out on a Friday which means most of the major gaming news outlets will pick up on it on a Monday. Good week for the PSP in Japan, but I'd hardly call it a great week for Sony when they came close to burning every bridge with every independent gaming news outlet.

OK, this is the first time that either of Nintendo's current systems haven't outsold either of Sony's platforms by at least a 2-to-1 ratio since the Wii launched in November. A bunch of people impulse bought PSPs this week to play Monster Hunter. I'll bet my last dime that this is strictly a one-week thing, and that the PSP will be back to it's typical sales of about 30,000 by next week, while the DS maintains it's typical figures of over 100,000 per week.

And furthermore, I wouldn't exactly call this "too good of a week for Sony," considering that they only managed to move 19,315 PS3s. Allow me to borrow a phrase, and guess that you'll probably "blame PS3 production issues," right? Seriously, sales of both of their systems combined are still 10,000 units less than sales of the DS lite alone.

I don't see why you think that this is majorly newsworthy at all. I mean, OK, the PSP outsold the Wii for a single week; what's the big deal? Looking into the software side of things, 8 out of the top 10 selling games this week in Japan were DS and Wii games. As usual. Going a bit further, 21 of the top 25 best-selling games this week were DS and Wii games.

I wouldn't really count on this being the start of a major turnaround for Sony, Mr. "I love my PSP." Don't get your hopes up.

Not surprising at all, Monster Hunter is quite a popular series in Japan. It'll be interesting to see if the PSP can keep up with this for longer than a week.

It's not unusual to see sales spikes in Japan with a popular game. Heck people in Japan bought the 360 when Blue Dragon came out. Not really news worthy at all...especially since the DS Lite still outsold it even with production issues. THEY CAN'T MAKE THEM FAST ENOUGH!

[quote name='jkam']It's not unusual to see sales spikes in Japan with a popular game. Heck people in Japan bought the 360 when Blue Dragon came out. Not really news worthy at all...especially since the DS Lite still outsold it even with production issues. THEY CAN'T MAKE THEM FAST ENOUGH![/quote]
Precisely. Just wait until that Dragon Quest game is released on the DS/Wii. :lol:

The Wii still sold more than the PS2, PS3 and Xbox 360 combined. Why wasn't this brought up? News stations don't care about Nintendo cause it was a good week for a dying system?

PSP is hardly dying. Holy crap...in fact, I imagine you'll find fat old guys in suits making money off psp for about the next five years at least.

In other news, there were 300,000 PSPs in Japan Feb 19 - 26 and only 78,506 Wiis!
[quote name='TimPV3']- PSX Extreme

Japanese Hardware Sales

February 19th-26th
Nintendo DS: 136,128
Sony PSP: 100,210
Nintendo Wii: 78,506
Sony PlayStation 3: 19,315
Sony PlayStation 2: 15,054
Microsoft Xbox360: 4,183

Monster Hunter Portable 2 brought the PSP right to 2nd place, behind the DS which is to me more of a living essential in Japan than a videogame system, apparently. You can blame Wii production issues all you want, numbers don't lie.

And why haven't any major news sites decided to pick up on this? Too good of a week for Sony or what?[/quote]

News sites dont pick up on this because when you have months and months of bad numbers one week doesnt make up for all of it. Now if the psp had a steady sales lead for a few weeks then you would have an reason for being happy.

[quote name='bstan21']PSP is hardly dying. Holy crap...in fact, I imagine you'll find fat old guys in suits making money off psp for about the next five years at least.[/QUOTE]Exactly. There's already 20+ million PSP handhelds and its still selling.

Kendal's is Wii60/Anti-Sony, so I'm not listening to him.

Yeah, its awesome to see PSP destroy the gimmicky Wii. It's all about the graphics and power, which is why I support PS3, 360, and PSP.

[quote name='The Mana Knight'] It's all about the graphics and power, which is why I support PS3, 360, and PSP.[/quote]

I truly don't think I have ever read a stupider comment on this website.

[quote name='schuerm26']I truly don't think I have ever read a stupider comment on this website.[/QUOTE]

Coming from you? That's rich...

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Exactly. There's already 20+ million PSP handhelds and its still selling.

Yeah, its awesome to see PSP destroy the gimmicky Wii. It's all about the graphics and power, which is why I support PS3, 360, and PSP.[/quote]

I don't get why you fanboys claim the Wii is "gimmicky." Couldn't the same be said about the PS3? Some people might define high definition graphics as "gimmicky."

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Exactly. There's already 20+ million PSP handhelds and its still selling.

Yeah, its awesome to see PSP destroy the gimmicky Wii. It's all about the graphics and power, which is why I support PS3, 360, and PSP.[/QUOTE]

if you follow this logic then it doesnt matter how poor a game is as long as its graphics are superb and it runs on a powerful machine. Its not all about anything. Without a combination of everything games would be below average at best.

[quote name='schuerm26']I truly don't think I have ever read a stupider comment on this website.[/QUOTE]Gameplay is very important too (even more so). But when you add great graphics and sound to great gameplay, it just makes a game even better. I'll be honest that I use to think graphics just weren't important at all and gameplay was the only thing important. After getting into more powerful consoles/handhelds last year, there's just no going back (part of the reason I barely play PS2 anymore, and won't even touch GC and Xbox. DS is just too freaking boring and the most overrated platform ever. I expect the same out of the Wii).
[quote name='MarkMark']if you follow this logic then it doesnt matter how poor a game is as long as its graphics are superb and it runs on a powerful machine. Its not all about anything. Without a combination of everything games would be below average at best.[/QUOTE]No, what I basically mean is, ever since I got a PS3, 360, and a PSP (my three most recent platforms), its just too difficult to go back to consoles/handhelds that don't have the power and HD graphics. It doesn't mean a PS3/360 game has to be the best looking game for me to enjoy it (Tekken 5 DR is my most played PS3 game btw), its just that games which play great and have good graphics are just too awesome (like on PSP for example. Ratchet & Clank Size Matters, Daxter, Tekken DR, Wipeout Pure, etc. look way better than anything on DS. I also find them to play better than anything on DS. The combination of awesome gameplay AND graphics put them way beyond anything I played on another handheld, that makes it too difficult to go back).
[quote name='yukine']I don't get why you fanboys claim the Wii is "gimmicky." Couldn't the same be said about the PS3? Some people might define high definition graphics as "gimmicky."[/QUOTE]
I could say I find most things by Nintendo to be gimmicky, which is why I jumped their ship long ago.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I could say I find most things by Nintendo to be gimmicky, which is why I jumped their ship long ago.[/quote]

Well, you're entitled to your own opinion... even though I think it stinks.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
Yeah, its awesome to see PSP destroy the gimmicky Wii. It's all about the graphics and power, which is why I support PS3, 360, and PSP.[/QUOTE]

You don't support the 360 at all... I've seen COUNTLESS posts by you bashing the 360, how you barely touch it, how it dosen't compare to the PS3, and now you are turn around and say you support it? Since when?

In almost every post you make in the PS3 forum you try to slide in a comment about how the 360 sucks.

bread's done
Back