PSP2 is going to be "Effing Powerful" [The PSP2 Thread]

[quote name='Richard Kain'] Locking save files to a physical cartridge is one of the best methods for striking back at the used games market.[/QUOTE]

Dont think it ever hurt DS or GBA.

[quote name='Serpentor']Smack me again anyone, when this thing will be available? Thanks![/QUOTE]
No one knows yet. No date was announced.

Regarding the battery: One feature I love that the PSPGo has; which I really hope they include with the NGP is auto-game save when the battery dies. I really wish the PSP had this as well. When my Go runs out of juice, it saves the exact spot I'm on. When I recharge and reboot, there's a resume game icon that takes me right back to the same in-game spot without having to view loading screens. IMHO, its one of the nicest features of the Go.

[quote name='Wolfpup']If you think Tetris is the pinacle of the art form, then I guess not. I don't. I really enjoyed it on the Gameboy, but it was hardly my favorite Gameboy game, and I had my fill.[/QUOTE]

My point was that more powerful hardware doesn't always equal better games.

[quote name='Wolfpup'] Yes. A big deal. Because they're things we've played before ON BIG CONSOLES. They're also things that couldn't be done on last gen hardware, which is my point.[/QUOTE]

Right. But who really wants to play that stuff on a handheld? I love the God of War series but I couldn't get into them on the PSP though I recognize the quality of the games and the technical achievement of cramming it into a handheld. If I felt like playing a "console" game I'd just play my PS3/360. When I'm traveling I almost never have the time to play something other than in short bursts (I take my PSP and DS everywhere). We will find out I guess.

[quote name='Wolfpup']How? Ignoring that a huge percent of people can't even use "3D", how are things popping out of or having layers going in to the screen going to improve games?[/QUOTE]

It might not be obvious now but eventually 3D will be essential for some unique experiences. When the DS came out in 2004 people thought the same thing about touch screens - now look what Apple did 3 years later with the iPod Touch (and now what sony is doing with the PSP2). In a few more years people will barely remember playing handheld games without a touch screen.

Also, this is the first I'm hearing of a "huge percent" of people not being able to use 3D.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Analog sticks let you control stuff better in a 3D world, particularly for first and third person games. Shoulder buttons added more control options, more complexity for games (work great as a modifier too). They're not gimmicks, they had a real and immediate effect on a lot of games.[/QUOTE]

So will 3D gaming!

[quote name='Wolfpup']They'll think whatever they're told by marketing people. So probably Nintendo wins again, though maybe not.[/QUOTE]

I don't think marketing will help if the device is priced over $300 (and even then it might be asking too much). I'm willing to bet that the install base of the 3DS will be 5 times the PSP2... but that doesn't mean the PSP2 won't be a success.

[quote name='Wolfpup'] But your "just looks like a fancier PSP" comment is bizarre. It sounds like instead of better games, you want gimmicks?[/QUOTE]

I just want innovation and a reason to spend money on it. I know eventually there will be a killer app for it but it will have to do more than just play PS3 games (as much as the thought of a new HSG is making me :drool:).

Look, I'm really looking forward to the PSP2 and I want it to be a huge success but it seems like it is headed down the exact same path that the PSP did - technically superior but (probably) overpriced that doesn't get embraced by nearly as many people as it should. That being said, the PSP has a TON of great portable games that you can't play elsewhere so I'm confident that the trend will continue but Sony worries me - what's the saying? Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it?

I don't get why games have to be bite-sized just because the system is portable. I'm a gamer. If I'm on the go, I would love to play my console games on the go. The PSP and PSP2 provide that opportunity. It is exactly what it's designed to be a "portable" playstation. I'm sure this is the exact demographic that Sony has been targeting, even being aware that they don't make up the majority of consumers out there.

[quote name='007']I am curious about the 3G access... let's be fair, Sony already set the 'free' online precedent with their console. Charging a yearly (or monthly, or whatever) fee for online access on a portable, while no different from something like a tablet or phone, might not go over as well as they'd expect.[/QUOTE]
It has free WiFi, so 3G is optional.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I don't get why games have to be bite-sized just because the system is portable. I'm a gamer. If I'm on the go, I would love to play my console games on the go. The PSP and PSP2 provide that opportunity. It is exactly what it's designed to be a "portable" playstation. I'm sure this is the exact demographic that Sony has been targeting, even being aware that they don't make up the majority of consumers out there.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! Me too! I've NEVER understood this "I don't want to play real, full games on the go!" thing that conveniently popped up as soon as Nintendo was having to compete with a system that was a full generation more powerful.

I have the same tastes regardless. If I'm playing a DS exclusive or something, it's not because I want to play a different type of game on it, it's because it's something I'd want to play anyway, regardless of where.

I'm only interested in real full games on both the PSP and DS, and a look at my backlog shows everything I've bought is just as complex and involving as for the 'big' systems.

All I ask for is a good save system, and most portable games have that, plus both the PSP and DS have excellent 'sleep' functions. Frankly I wish you could sleep the big systems and that games on them always had great save systems, as occasionally I'll not start a game on one just because I don't have the time (and can't save anywhere) or I think I'm too tired to make it to the next save spot or whatever.

[quote name='javeryh']My point was that more powerful hardware doesn't always equal better games. [/quote]

Well sure, not automatically, but that's not saying anything. It CAN and usually does lead to better games, and gives developers more options.

Right. But who really wants to play that stuff on a handheld? I love the God of War series but I couldn't get into them on the PSP though I recognize the quality of the games and the technical achievement of cramming it into a handheld. If I felt like playing a "console" game I'd just play my PS3/360.

See above. This makes zero sense to me. You want to play crappier games for some reason on the go? I've never, ever heard anyone make this argument until the DS. People were going nuts over the Gameboy because it offered basically NES quality games/hardware on the go, and people wanted and bought real full games. The GBC and GBA were behind the times, but still, people wanted and bought real, full games for them (and in the GBA's case it was kind of the last bastion of 2D stuff millions of people wanted but weren't getting.

DS and PSP? Well suddenly there are a bunch of people claiming they WANT crappy games, and don't want God of War or Syphon Filter or something, and apparently don't play real full games on the DS either.

I don't know...maybe you guys are for real, and you just didn't own a handheld before the DS, and only buy edutainment titles or whatever, but I'd assume most people want real games.

It might not be obvious now but eventually 3D will be essential for some unique experiences.

Like what? There's nothing about it that can lend itself to unique experiences.

When the DS came out in 2004 people thought the same thing about touch screens - now look what Apple did 3 years later with the iPod Touch (and now what sony is doing with the PSP2). In a few more years people will barely remember playing handheld games without a touch screen.

And I've played a single game that uses it successfully, in over a decade of games that use touch. But then again, I only want real games...so if you're going for non-games, maybe it's better for you... (sorry, I just don't understand this...)

Also, this is the first I'm hearing of a "huge percent" of people not being able to use 3D.

Also hard to believe. You've never met people who have seen “3D” movies? You haven't heard all the reports about the 3DS? More than any other comment I'm hearing from devs and critics are the problems with looking at that screen.

For obvious reasons I don't know if we'll ever be told the real figures. I suspect it's over 50%, but certainly double digits. Maybe it's 100% given enough exposure to “3D”.

So-called “3D” (which actually looks less “3D” than normal images) is really a joke. Most of this (except perhaps brightness) applies to the 3DS too: http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/01/post_4.html

So will 3D gaming!

No it doesn't. It makes things look like they're sticking in or out of the screen on flat planes. It restricts what you can do with editing and movement. It makes things look worse. It doesn't improve controls. It doesn't change the types of experiences you can have. It's nothing at all like the move to analog sticks or more buttons, or better hardware.

I don't think marketing will help if the device is priced over $300 (and even then it might be asking too much). I'm willing to bet that the install base of the 3DS will be 5 times the PSP2... but that doesn't mean the PSP2 won't be a success.

Maybe, but I doubt it given the install base of the DS at least as of 2 years ago was only 3x larger (actually less than 3x).

I just want innovation and a reason to spend money on it. I know eventually there will be a killer app for it but it will have to do more than just play PS3 games (as much as the thought of a new HSG is making me :drool:).

What's HSG? What do you consider “innovation”? Because the fact is, the PSP2 can play a lot more types of games than the 3DS/PSP 1 can, just as the PSP 1 can play a lot more types of games than the DS.

Look, I'm really looking forward to the PSP2 and I want it to be a huge success but it seems like it is headed down the exact same path that the PSP did - technically superior but (probably) overpriced

The PSP 1 wasn't overpriced. It cost less than $100 more at launch, yet has roughly 10x the power.

That being said, the PSP has a TON of great portable games that you can't play elsewhere so I'm confident that the trend will continue but Sony worries me - what's the saying? Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it?

And what's with caring if games are available on other platforms? I hope the PSP 2 is powerful enough to be targeted as a fourth system...that would be awesome if it can get all the multiplatform stuff too. I have no idea why I should be upset if it's running Rage or the next Call of Duty or whatever...this sounds like a good thing to me, not bad.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I don't get why games have to be bite-sized just because the system is portable. I'm a gamer. If I'm on the go, I would love to play my console games on the go. The PSP and PSP2 provide that opportunity. It is exactly what it's designed to be a "portable" playstation. I'm sure this is the exact demographic that Sony has been targeting, even being aware that they don't make up the majority of consumers out there.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! Me too! I've NEVER understood this "I don't want to play real, full games on the go!" thing that conveniently popped up as soon as Nintendo was having to compete with a system that was a full generation more powerful.

I have the same tastes regardless. If I'm playing a DS exclusive or something, it's not because I want to play a different type of game on it, it's because it's something I'd want to play anyway, regardless of where.

I'm only interested in real full games on both the PSP and DS, and a look at my backlog shows everything I've bought is just as complex and involving as for the 'big' systems.

All I ask for is a good save system, and most portable games have that, plus both the PSP and DS have excellent 'sleep' functions. Frankly I wish you could sleep the big systems and that games on them always had great save systems, as occasionally I'll not start a game on one just because I don't have the time (and can't save anywhere) or I think I'm too tired to make it to the next save spot or whatever.

[quote name='javeryh']My point was that more powerful hardware doesn't always equal better games. [/quote]

Well sure, not automatically, but that's not saying anything. It CAN and usually does lead to better games, and gives developers more options.

Right. But who really wants to play that stuff on a handheld? I love the God of War series but I couldn't get into them on the PSP though I recognize the quality of the games and the technical achievement of cramming it into a handheld. If I felt like playing a "console" game I'd just play my PS3/360.

See above. This makes zero sense to me. You want to play crappier games for some reason on the go? I've never, ever heard anyone make this argument until the DS. People were going nuts over the Gameboy because it offered basically NES quality games/hardware on the go, and people wanted and bought real full games. The GBC and GBA were behind the times, but still, people wanted and bought real, full games for them (and in the GBA's case it was kind of the last bastion of 2D stuff millions of people wanted but weren't getting.

DS and PSP? Well suddenly there are a bunch of people claiming they WANT crappy games, and don't want God of War or Syphon Filter or something, and apparently don't play real full games on the DS either.

I don't know...maybe you guys are for real, and you just didn't own a handheld before the DS, and only buy edutainment titles or whatever, but I'd assume most people want real games.

It might not be obvious now but eventually 3D will be essential for some unique experiences.

Like what? There's nothing about it that can lend itself to unique experiences.

When the DS came out in 2004 people thought the same thing about touch screens - now look what Apple did 3 years later with the iPod Touch (and now what sony is doing with the PSP2). In a few more years people will barely remember playing handheld games without a touch screen.

And I've played a single game that uses it successfully, in over a decade of games that use touch. But then again, I only want real games...so if you're going for non-games, maybe it's better for you... (sorry, I just don't understand this...)

Also hard to believe. You've never met people who have seen “3D” movies? You haven't heard all the reports about the 3DS? More than any other comment I'm hearing from devs and critics are the problems with looking at that screen.

For obvious reasons I don't know if we'll ever be told the real figures. I suspect it's over 50%, but certainly double digits. Maybe it's 100% given enough exposure to “3D”.

So-called “3D” (which actually looks less “3D” than normal images) is really a joke. Most of this (except perhaps brightness) applies to the 3DS too: http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/01/post_4.html

So will 3D gaming!

No it doesn't. It makes things look like they're sticking in or out of the screen on flat planes. It restricts what you can do with editing and movement. It makes things look worse. It doesn't improve controls. It doesn't change the types of experiences you can have. It's nothing at all like the move to analog sticks or more buttons, or better hardware.

Maybe, but I doubt it given the install base of the DS at least as of 2 years ago was only 3x larger (actually less than 3x).

What's HSG? What do you consider “innovation”? Because the fact is, the PSP2 can play a lot more types of games than the 3DS/PSP 1 can, just as the PSP 1 can play a lot more types of games than the DS.

Look, I'm really looking forward to the PSP2 and I want it to be a huge success but it seems like it is headed down the exact same path that the PSP did - technically superior but (probably) overpriced

The PSP 1 wasn't overpriced. It cost less than $100 more at launch, yet has roughly 10x the power.

That being said, the PSP has a TON of great portable games that you can't play elsewhere so I'm confident that the trend will continue but Sony worries me - what's the saying? Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it?

And what's with caring if games are available on other platforms? I hope the PSP 2 is powerful enough to be targeted as a fourth system...that would be awesome if it can get all the multiplatform stuff too. I have no idea why I should be upset if it's running Rage or the next Call of Duty or whatever...this sounds like a good thing to me, not bad.

It just occurred to me that what if there's a mini HDMI cable on the PSP2 allows you hook up to monitors and you can play the games using regualr DS3? How cool is that?!?! That would be the true portable console... Not only you can play the console games on the go, but also hook up with ease at home/office, all of sudden $300-$500 don't sound that bad at all...

Ooooooooh, yeah I hope you can hook it up via HDMI and use a normal pad, because that...opens some possibilities

Better yet, if there's a mini HDMI connected, the new PSP2 is smart enough to prompt you to play with the OLED screen off yes/no. Meaning that you can just use the PSP2 as the controller and just look at your monitor! Yes, you need a long HDMI cable or what not, but this is perfect if you're in the office or access to any computer monitor. The possibilities are endless... I'm sure there will be a 3rd party streaming box, where you don't need the wires.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Well sure, not automatically, but that's not saying anything. It CAN and usually does lead to better games, and gives developers more options.[/QUOTE]

We can agree on that.

[quote name='Wolfpup'] See above. This makes zero sense to me. You want to play crappier games for some reason on the go? I've never, ever heard anyone make this argument until the DS. People were going nuts over the Gameboy because it offered basically NES quality games/hardware on the go, and people wanted and bought real full games. The GBC and GBA were behind the times, but still, people wanted and bought real, full games for them (and in the GBA's case it was kind of the last bastion of 2D stuff millions of people wanted but weren't getting.

I don't know...maybe you guys are for real, and you just didn't own a handheld before the DS, and only buy edutainment titles or whatever, but I'd assume most people want real games.[/QUOTE]

This is where we are just fundamentally different. Just because a game can be played in small chunks without some huge overarching story is small does not mean it is crappy - at all. My favorite games on the PSP are games like Hot Shots Golf (HSG), Half Minute Hero, Crush, Everyday Shooter, Hot Shots Tennis, Lumines, Loco Roco, Patapon, etc. These are all EXCELLENT games with new and fresh ideas (mostly) yet they can all be played for 5 minutes at a time or 5 hours at a time.

I'm sorry but I have little interest in playing through something like Metal Gear on a tiny screen when it is more suited for the living room. I think a lot of people feel the same way - that doesn't mean I want cheap crappy games though. For what it is worth I hate gaming on the iPhone for the most part because 99.99% of everything is crap but I think the PSP had more than a handful of great games that were technologically advanced yet easy to play. I want to see that trend continue on PSP2 but based on the demos it looks like they are going for a more console-like approach (but it is too early to know anything for sure).

[quote name='Wolfpup'] Like what? There's nothing about it that can lend itself to unique experiences.[/QUOTE]

How do you know? I can't argue this point if you are going to dismiss it completely.

[quote name='Wolfpup'] And I've played a single game that uses it successfully, in over a decade of games that use touch. But then again, I only want real games...so if you're going for non-games, maybe it's better for you... (sorry, I just don't understand this...)[/QUOTE]

We just want different things out of a handheld gaming system I guess. I don't know what else to tell you.

[quote name='Wolfpup'] Also hard to believe. You've never met people who have seen “3D” movies? You haven't heard all the reports about the 3DS? More than any other comment I'm hearing from devs and critics are the problems with looking at that screen.

[/QUOTE]

I don't go to the movies (maybe 1 or 2 a year) and neither do most of my friends which is probably why I've never really heard anyone complain about it. I've seen maybe 3 or 4 3D movies (the crapfest Avatar and the other were animated) and I didn't have a problem with it at all so I just don't know.

[quote name='Wolfpup'] No it doesn't. It makes things look like they're sticking in or out of the screen on flat planes. It restricts what you can do with editing and movement. It makes things look worse. It doesn't improve controls. It doesn't change the types of experiences you can have. It's nothing at all like the move to analog sticks or more buttons, or better hardware.[/QUOTE]

These are all assumptions - the 3DS isn't out yet!

[quote name='Wolfpup'] What's HSG? What do you consider “innovation”? Because the fact is, the PSP2 can play a lot more types of games than the 3DS/PSP 1 can, just as the PSP 1 can play a lot more types of games than the DS.[/QUOTE]

Much like hardcore porn, innovation is something that I'll know when I see it and it's probably not going to be God of War 5, Syphon Filter 11 or Killzone 3.5: The Smell of Kills. :)

[quote name='Wolfpup'] The PSP 1 wasn't overpriced. It cost less than $100 more at launch, yet has roughly 10x the power.[/QUOTE]

It was overpriced. If it wasn't more people would have bought it because it was (and still is) an amazing piece of tech. It might not have been overpriced for what you got in the box relative to manufacturing costs but it was overpriced in the sense that the market clearly didn't want to pay that much for a handheld.

[quote name='Wolfpup'] And what's with caring if games are available on other platforms? I hope the PSP 2 is powerful enough to be targeted as a fourth system...that would be awesome if it can get all the multiplatform stuff too. I have no idea why I should be upset if it's running Rage or the next Call of Duty or whatever...this sounds like a good thing to me, not bad.[/QUOTE]I don't care what games are available - the more the merrier. Hopefully you and I both will love the PSP2 when it comes out even though we might not ever own the same games for it. My point was that it just seems like Sony is headed down the same path with the PSP2 as it did with the PSP and I want to see them do better this time around - but it is early and time will tell. Whew!

[quote name='Serpentor']Better yet, if there's a mini HDMI connected, the new PSP2 is smart enough to prompt you to play with the OLED screen off yes/no.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it would be even easier than that. Sony could just rig up the NGP so that whenever you are playing with the video-out active it would either display a black screen, or a black screen with a very faint logo on it. OLED screens don't use any power when displaying the color black, and only use minimal power displaying very dark colors. It's one of the advantages of OLED technology. They could keep the screen active the whole time without expending extra power.

LCD and LED displays use back-lighting, and as such have to constantly generate light. But OLED displays don't use any back-lighting, and only produce exactly as much light as is necessary. This gives them several advantages. The viewing angle on these displays is much better, the black levels and contrast ratios are very good, and the power efficiency is generally superior. The one downside is that if the screen is constantly displaying white, it could potentially eat up more power.

[quote name='javeryh']This is where we are just fundamentally different. Just because a game can be played in small chunks without some huge overarching story is small does not mean it is crappy - at all. My favorite games on the PSP are games like Hot Shots Golf (HSG), Half Minute Hero, Crush, Everyday Shooter, Hot Shots Tennis, Lumines, Loco Roco, Patapon, etc. These are all EXCELLENT games with new and fresh ideas (mostly) yet they can all be played for 5 minutes at a time or 5 hours at a time.[/quote]

What game isn't that true of? At any rate, many of those are real, full games.

I'm sorry but I have little interest in playing through something like Metal Gear on a tiny screen when it is more suited for the living room.

More suited why?

I think a lot of people feel the same way - that doesn't mean I want cheap crappy games though. For what it is worth I hate gaming on the iPhone for the most part because 99.99% of everything is crap

Well we agree on that! :lol:

How do you know? I can't argue this point if you are going to dismiss it completely. ...These are all assumptions - the 3DS isn't out yet!

Doesn't matter. This is what the technology does.

It was overpriced. If it wasn't more people would have bought it because it was (and still is) an amazing piece of tech. It might not have been overpriced for what you got in the box relative to manufacturing costs but it was overpriced in the sense that the market clearly didn't want to pay that much for a handheld.

I suppose so, but that really sucks. $250 isn't much in 2005 money. I guess it's still the weird thing where handhelds in the U.S. are seen as "kids" things or something.

[quote name='Wolfpup']What game isn't that true of? At any rate, many of those are real, full games. [/QUOTE]

Ahhh, OK - we just like different types of games!

[quote name='Wolfpup']More suited why?[/QUOTE]

Good question. I guess I like playing story-driven games on the couch on a big screen with surround sound. I don't get that from a handheld for the most part (although headphones help). I'm not sure why but I honestly have very little interest. I played through the first God of War on PSP and I enjoyed it for the most part but the entire time I was playing I just thought I'd rather be playing this on the PS3. I completely skipped the second one even though I'm sure it was good - just not what I'm looking for out of a handheld experience.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Doesn't matter. This is what the technology does. [/QUOTE]

I'm still going to wait before judging this one...

[quote name='Wolfpup']I suppose so, but that really sucks. $250 isn't much in 2005 money. I guess it's still the weird thing where handhelds in the U.S. are seen as "kids" things or something.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I was telling my wife about the 3DS and PSP2 last night and her first comment was "no parent is going to spend $250 on something like that for their kid. $150 is stretching it." This was in response to the 3DS pricing! I play my handhelds ALL THE TIME and bring them everywhere we go yet the perception in her mind is that they are strictly kids toys! This is why I think the PSP2 has a huge uphill battle. Sony completely overlooked this point with the PSP and I fear they are doing it again with the PSP2!

[quote name='javeryh']Good question. I guess I like playing story-driven games on the couch on a big screen with surround sound. I don't get that from a handheld for the most part (although headphones help). I'm not sure why but I honestly have very little interest. I played through the first God of War on PSP and I enjoyed it for the most part but the entire time I was playing I just thought I'd rather be playing this on the PS3.[/quote]

But that's because of the screen size? Not because of the tech? I think that every time I'm playing a Wii game, but the PSP and DS have the advantage of being portable.

Exactly. I was telling my wife about the 3DS and PSP2 last night and her first comment was "no parent is going to spend $250 on something like that for their kid. $150 is stretching it." This was in response to the 3DS pricing! I play my handhelds ALL THE TIME and bring them everywhere we go yet the perception in her mind is that they are strictly kids toys! This is why I think the PSP2 has a huge uphill battle. Sony completely overlooked this point with the PSP and I fear they are doing it again with the PSP2!

Man, that's not good :lol:

Errr, does anyone watch the digital movie copies clips when you pop a BD/DVD into a player? You know, there's a kid holding an iPod Touch or something, do you ever wonder how the hell that kid get that iPod Touch? Come on, $200 gadget for a kid still playing with monkey bars? CRAZY!

Needless to say, the PSP2 is not for everybody even though it's designed for all sort of gamers in mind (motion/touch etc.) But the core value is still to please the console gamers. If you enjoy console like games, the PSP2 will give you that experience on the go (maybe now you can't curse freely as you wish, lol, which is a good thing :)).

[quote name='javeryh']Exactly. I was telling my wife about the 3DS and PSP2 last night and her first comment was "no parent is going to spend $250 on something like that for their kid. $150 is stretching it." This was in response to the 3DS pricing! I play my handhelds ALL THE TIME and bring them everywhere we go yet the perception in her mind is that they are strictly kids toys! This is why I think the PSP2 has a huge uphill battle. Sony completely overlooked this point with the PSP and I fear they are doing it again with the PSP2![/QUOTE]

That is actually an excellent point. The common Western stigma that associates all video games with children could damage or limit the appeal of the NGP.

But then, it's also important to consider the primary audience that Sony is going to target with the NGP. And for that, you have to not only look at demographics, but at nationalities.

The NGP will almost certainly be constrained in its sales in the US. But the same will not hold true for its sales in Japan, and to a lesser degree, in Europe. From what I've been able to tell from the announcements so far, the NGP looks like a Japanese gamer's wet-dream. From its 3G-standard status (in Japan) to its various location features, to the numerous inputs and addition of dual-analogs, the device seems custom-tailored to appeal to Japanese gamers. The next entry in the Monster Hunter series is probably in development for the NGP right now, and it will be absolutely HUGE in the land of the rising sun.

Sony has also always had a strong presence in Europe. And European culture in general will be more friendly towards a device like the NGP. Train travel is considerably more common in Europe, and the NGP could swiftly become a common fixture.

[quote name='elessar123']I know a lot of kids with iPods, so I don't think $250 is really that hard a sell.[/QUOTE]

$250 is a barrier for sure, for most families, especially when you have more then one kid, probably both of whom would want one. Of course you can start with just one to share, but even then it's $250, more then a Wii or Xbox that we can all play together. I think Nintendo recognizes that. I haven't seen anything showing a kid using a 3DS coming from them. They all seem to be young adults.

[quote name='elessar123']I know a lot of kids with iPods, so I don't think $250 is really that hard a sell.[/QUOTE]

In Southern California maybe that is the case (as it is on the east coast as well) but there are a whole lot of people in between that I can assure you do not buy their kids $250 iPods.

[quote name='Wolfpup']
And what's with caring if games are available on other platforms? I hope the PSP 2 is powerful enough to be targeted as a fourth system...that would be awesome if it can get all the multiplatform stuff too. I have no idea why I should be upset if it's running Rage or the next Call of Duty or whatever...this sounds like a good thing to me, not bad.[/QUOTE]

Wolfpup and ssjmichael,

This makes sense for the consumer. It doesn't make any sense for Sony and is one of the reasons they had restrictions on porting games to the PSP.

Modern Warfare 3 and Rage releasing on the NGP day/date with the PS3 [or 360] would likely cannabilize sales from either the portable or the console.

[quote name='javeryh']In Southern California maybe that is the case (as it is on the east coast as well) but there are a whole lot of people in between that I can assure you do not buy their kids $250 iPods.[/QUOTE]

Actually, in Texas =P Don't really know any minors in CA.

[quote name='paddlefoot']Wolfpup and ssjmichael,

This makes sense for the consumer. It doesn't make any sense for Sony and is one of the reasons they had restrictions on porting games to the PSP.

Modern Warfare 3 and Rage releasing on the NGP day/date with the PS3 [or 360] would likely cannabilize sales from either the portable or the console.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but there are people who don't own consoles or don't own handhelds. It almost makes sense to possibly cannibalize sales when you realize that if they don't port, the PSP might not get any sales at all. Myself personally, I'd probably go for a handheld with TV output over a console simply because it's portable. I'm usually busy when at home but when I'm out waiting at various places I know what I'd be doing.

the psp was powerful for it's time and it was nothing. the thing that pushes sales and need for wanting to buy it is not the superiority of the tech but the use of the tech. in games, it would be the use of the tech to support the game. having all the high tech stuff on these handhelds is doing nothing but eye candy and minor gimmicks.

a high resolution screen for a handheld! is having 720/1080 on a handheld doing anything for the user?! absolutely not! the resolution could be in 640x480 and it would be more then adequate.

3g? you get that service on your multimedia phone, so what would be the point of adding this tech other then to cost for the company and the consumer. wifi is more then adequate but people believe newer improved tech means better quality.

the touch screen seems like a neat idea. but when compared to the nintendo ds with its dual screen, it would feel overwhelming since a lot would be done on a single screen as opposed to a dual screen.

in the end, it has a lot of new tech and show but when you look at it from afar, you'll start seeing that the added tech is actually useless and unnecessary.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']tin games, it would be the use of the tech to support the game. having all the high tech stuff on these handhelds is doing nothing but eye candy and minor gimmicks.[/quote]

That's completely untrue. Do I really need to list off dozens of PSP games that can't be done on the DS?

a high resolution screen for a handheld! is having 720/1080 on a handheld doing anything for the user?! absolutely not! the resolution could be in 640x480 and it would be more then adequate.

Resolution matters on handhelds too. And none of them have that resolution so that's a moot point. The PSP is 480x272. The NGP is 4x higher at 960×544 (probably to make drawing games made for the PSP computationally much easier!)

3g? you get that service on your multimedia phone, so what would be the point of adding this tech other then to cost for the company and the consumer.

I'm assuming it's a Japanese thing? Hopefully they'll drop it or have it optional over here. I'd assume 90+% of people in the U.S. won't want it.

the touch screen seems like a neat idea. but when compared to the nintendo ds with its dual screen, it would feel overwhelming since a lot would be done on a single screen as opposed to a dual screen.

How would that make anything feel overwhelming? I hate touchscreens, but the NGP's is superior to the DS/3DS touchscreen tech. If I HAD to use one or the other...well, I just want games to ignore the touch screen.

in the end, it has a lot of new tech and show but when you look at it from afar, you'll start seeing that the added tech is actually useless and unnecessary.

Completely bogus, and you almost certainly know it. Unless you're going to claim that we should all be running Atari 2600s, you're not being consistent with your argument.

[quote name='paddlefoot']Wolfpup and ssjmichael,

Modern Warfare 3 and Rage releasing on the NGP day/date with the PS3 [or 360] would likely cannabilize sales from either the portable or the console.[/QUOTE]

Also having it available on the NGP isn't going to hurt sales on/of the NGP. Sure it might hurt PS3 sales, but what does Sony care? They'll make money on it either way. And while some NGP sales will undoubtedly come at the expense of the PS3 version, some will also come from the Xbox or PC versions, where Sony wouldn't have been seeing any money.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']the psp was powerful for it's time and it was nothing. [/quote]

Didn't address this first one...nothing? It's the most successful non-Nintendo portable ever, and a huge success in it's own right. It's got a great library, and it actually outsold the DS until the lite was released, as I understand it. Even now the DS is only like 3:1 with the PSP if I'm remembering right. It's still a massive success that many earlier consoles would have been desperate for.

In terms of the tech, it's STILL pretty impressive six years later. Nintendo is only now releasing something roughly in the same ballpark. And while every PSP game I've played would either be worse or not possible on the PSP, every DS game I've played I've wished it was on the PSP instead (ditto for Wii games on the XBox or Playstation). The tech absolutely does matter, and on top of that I appreciate the better controller on the PSP and lack of gimmicks.

http://www.destructoid.com/no-xmb-in-the-ngp-194173.phtml

Sony's Shuhei Yoshida told Edge magazine that they wanted "to make this device very social network orientated: there are lots of fun games on Facebook, for example." He continued: "We wanted to integrate the social networking factor, the potential for friends to join in, interact at any moment. We wanted the entire screen to be part of that experience."

Also no XMB according to that link.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multim...n_Decisions_Confirms_Feature_Cut_for_NGP.html

"There were elements that we found pretty cool, but had to set aside to remain on target. It's a big lesson we learnt from the PS3. There's no point putting everything you want into a device and doing the math later. We always had the price and consumer in mind. We had to sell something that people could buy."

Yoshida also acknowledged that Sony "can't sell the NGP for the same price as a PSP".

Dunno if this is new info or not but interesting nonetheless. I personally would pay a little more for some extra bells and whistles. When's the next event we could hope for more pricing details/launch information.. E3? I don't think Sony's going to assume that people would hold off on buying a 3DS if they announced the price before their launch so they're probably going to take a wait and see approach and see how they do at their price point.

I hadn't heard of that at least. I'll always pay for better CPU/GPU/more RAM, etc.

Personally I think XMB is pretty logically laid out and easy to use. This "bubble" interface they keep showing looks annoying, but I suppose that's so you can touch the bubbles. I'm sure it won't be a deal killer and I won't really care.

Sounds like Nvidia actually is doing a 4xCortex A9 this year! Of course not very exciting when it's not attached to a game system, but still.

bread's done
Back