PSP2 is going to be "Effing Powerful" [The PSP2 Thread]

[quote name='caltab']where are the front "touch pads" are they the arrow and letter buttons...or do they just mean the screen itself.[/QUOTE]
I think it is the screen itself, one of the images shows the touchscreen interface for the main UI.

[quote name='FroMann']I think it is the screen itself, one of the images shows the touchscreen interface for the main UI.[/QUOTE]

ya I knew the screen itself was touchscreen, but the phrasing of it made me think maybe there was somewhere else on the front that was touch sensitive, like where the arrow buttons are.

[quote name='FroMann']The device is able to run the Unreal Engine 3. (no shock after hearing the other previews)[/QUOTE]

LOL!? Thank god. If we ever get multiplatform games alongside 360, at least it's safe to say it'll be identical this time around. :lol:

I think you have to be careful with the "PS3 quality graphics" and "PS3 quality effects"... there's no way on a smaller screen the quality will be as good as a PS3, it just doesn't have the resolution. That said it sounds like it's going to be a very capable system.

THAT said, being total devil's advocate, I think Sony's scared about the 3DS and are just announcing this to try to blunt the 3DS' momentum, like they did with the Dreamcast (which worked beautifully for Sony and just about killed Sega). I wouldn't doubt that this system either misses launch, or comes out WAY expensive, because they can't completely get it together in time.

I'm sure I'll end up with one (I have more PSPs than I'll ever need) but I'm not completely sure about how some of it will all work out. (I'll be curious how game sales work and if they really stick with memory cards or try to move to all download very fast after launch).

Guy from Epic: "This game was originally built for the Playstation 3 and the team adapted it for the NGP with less than 1 week of work," roughly paraphrased, it's incredibly easy to port things back and forth if they're built on Unreal Engine 3.

Call of Duty on a portable, this device will sell millions on launch if you could play against other ps3 players.

[quote name='Justin42']I think you have to be careful with the "PS3 quality graphics" and "PS3 quality effects"... there's no way on a smaller screen the quality will be as good as a PS3, it just doesn't have the resolution. That said it sounds like it's going to be a very capable system.

THAT said, being total devil's advocate, I think Sony's scared about the 3DS and are just announcing this to try to blunt the 3DS' momentum, like they did with the Dreamcast (which worked beautifully for Sony and just about killed Sega). I wouldn't doubt that this system either misses launch, or comes out WAY expensive, because they can't completely get it together in time.

I'm sure I'll end up with one (I have more PSPs than I'll ever need) but I'm not completely sure about how some of it will all work out. (I'll be curious how game sales work and if they really stick with memory cards or try to move to all download very fast after launch).[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure you don't need 720p/1080p to replicate HD from the PS3 on a 5 inch device. Unless of course, you'll be putting your eyes like 1/2 inch away from the screen.

yeah, some of the titles they're showing feels a bit too much like "PSP's problems all over again"-- they need to make sure they bring portable-type games to a portable system, not just the same ol' console games that look really good.

The PSP was awesome, awesome hardware (that in many ways still isn't THAT outdated now) that no one seemed to quite know what to do with. I'm afraid a PSP2 with such emphasis on the power of the system is going to be the same way. They're doing a lot of things right-- dual thumbstick, touchscreen, getting rid of battery sucking UMD-- but it also appears they haven't entirely learned the lessons of the PSP/PSPgo.

They'll wait and see how the 3DS is doing before setting either. If the 3DS is sold out everywhere, they'll be a lot more competitive than they would otherwise to try to steal Nintendo's thunder.

Nintendo and Sony aren't in the same leagues. I highly doubt Sony is even thinking they could outsell the 3DS. That's more of a fanboy argument than anything these days. Serious gamers will own both.

You're right in a way, but they don't want the headlines of "3DS outsells PSP2 for 15th straight month".

Serious gamers will own both, but the money is getting portables into every pair of hands in the world, so you need to get sales outside the core as well.

My guess is they'll target it for $300ish, bundled with a game, although I think a lot is still up in the air that could affect pricing (i.e., included 3G access?). They'll try to lock in the core early (and that strategy is somewhat working by announcing it now, before anyone's really seen the 3DS) and have that group lean towards the PSP2 as their "first" system, and leave the family/kiddie crowd to the 3DS, and split the portable market a bit.

Sony got kicked from 1st to 3rd in the console race in one generation, I'm thinking they're going to go for the jugular a bit. The PSP2 specs are pretty aggressive so it'll be interesting to see how they handle pricing. AMOLED screens have been in short supply of late and a console launch is going to take a LOT of them, as just one question.

And I'm not a fanboy of either Nintendo or Sony. Both are corporations that routinely make boneheaded decisions and occasionally some great ones. I just see a LOT of similarities between the PSP2 (vs 3DS) and PS2 (vs Dreamcast) announcements/launches and curious to see how it plays out.

Hell, with the Specs the NGP is packing, they might be looking to take a bite out of the iPad as well. I'm hoping this thing'll allow me to check my email and access netflix. It'd be a shame if it couldn't.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Hell, with the Specs the NGP is packing, they might be looking to take a bite out of the iPad as well. I'm hoping this thing'll allow me to check my email and access netflix. It'd be a shame if it couldn't.[/QUOTE]

I kind of was thinking the same thing-- they're going after the power user who wants more than a phone/low end tablet is capable of. I just hope they really run with it. Seems like having a "homebrew" style app store would be a really good move. (without necessarily limiting the specs the apps could handle-- i.e., no "3 cores disabled" sort of gotchas) And a decent web browser on a portable system would be a MUST this generation. Everyone (Sony and Nintendo) needs to remember they're competing with phones now, too, and while this thing has a lot more power, there are a lot of little "fit and finish" sort of things that people expect, that they didn't when the DS and PSP launched.

Did Sony give speeds on the CPU? (just curious) I see lots of drooling over quad core, but that all depends on how powerful each core is.. ;)

Homebrew Apps is where the Playstation Suite thing might come in. As described, it allows developers a way to build stuff that would run on both Android devices and the NGP. If it's open enough that any budding developer can produce stuff for it...it could be quite awesome. Gives them a larger market than if they just build something just for Android.

Final thoughts on the thing...this thing sounds awesome and expensive...like it will be a pricier gaming solution than the 3DS, but cheaper than buying a tablet. If they manage to fit in the best of both worlds, I could easily see myself getting one over the 3DS.

[quote name='Justin42']Did Sony give speeds on the CPU? (just curious) I see lots of drooling over quad core, but that all depends on how powerful each core is.. ;)[/QUOTE]

no they did not. no tech spec were unveiled.

I will buy this machine day one as long as it doesn't exceed $300, and 3DS will have to wait until Megaman Legends 3 or Phoenix Wright vs Prof Layton is released.

It's a multicore processor according to Tim Sweeney from Epic.

Jeff Rubenstein, PlayStation.Blog: "This is made possible by Sony's multi-core GPU... which is roughly 4x as powerful as any portable we've previously seen"

Got the specs from playstation website.

Next generation portable entertainment system (codename: NGP)

• (CPU) *ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4 core) GPU SGX543MP4+

• (External Dimensions) *Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)

• (Rear touch pad) * Multi touch pad (capacitive type)

• (Cameras) * Front camera, Rear camera

• (Sound) * Built-in stereo speakers, Built-in microphone

• (Sensors) * Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass

• (Location) * Built-in GPS, Wi-Fi location service support

• (Keys / Switches) *
PS button
Power button
Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)
Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)
Shoulder buttons (Right/Left)
Right stick, Left stick
START button, SELECT button
Volume buttons (+/-)
  • (Wireless communications) * Mobile network connectivity (3G)
IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode)
Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)

Source: Playstation.com

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SubjectNameHere']With specs like that, Apple should take notice. If the NPG comes in under $399, Nintendo should seriously consider a price drop for the holidays.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that it'll go over $300 since that just creates the argument that you can just get a PS3 or 360 for a equal or lesser price point. Not sure if it'll diverge some of the more hardcore gamers who know more about the specs of the device but it does create the counterpoint for the casual consumer.

Meh. I'm a little disappointed... it looks great and all but isn't it really just a more powerful PSP? I guess you can say the same thing about the 3DS but at least they are trying something no one has ever seen before. I really hope Sony knows what they are doing but I don't have much faith at this point. I can't wait to try it out though.

[quote name='Indignate']I don't think that it'll go over $300 since that just creates the argument that you can just get a PS3 or 360 for a equal or lesser price point. Not sure if it'll diverge some of the more hardcore gamers who know more about the specs of the device but it does create the counterpoint for the casual consumer.[/QUOTE]

Then you clearly have no understanding of the tech in this device. Ipads have the previous generation of the CPU (A8), and the next generation Ipads and mobile phones will probably have two core A9s. Those are all $500-$600 devices when you take out the subsidy from the contract. This system has a four core A9 as well as by far the most powerful mobile GPU ever conceived. Even if it sold at $500-$600 it would be far ahead of the other devices selling for the same price. Selling for $400 would be a complete bargain, and $300 is the domain of clueless kids who think Sony even views the 3DS as a real competitor. They're not going to sell the most advanced mobile device ever created for $50 more than a shrunken gamecube.

[quote name='javeryh']Meh. I'm a little disappointed... it looks great and all but isn't it really just a more powerful PSP?[/QUOTE]

I dunno, I'm impressed. They addressed the concerns consumers had in terms of dual analog, speed of game loading (UMD). Now they're less limited in terms of space for development as they were w/ UMDs (not that was ever an issue).

The touch screen(s) change things, too.

I think it's a very impressive device on the whole. I'm waiting to see info on
1) battery life
2) hardware price
3) third party support
4) account activation compared to PSP
before I swoon, though

(what I mean w/ 'account activation' is that I have DD content bought on multiple accounts - I can only use one account's software at any one time.)

[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']Then you clearly have no understanding of the tech in this device. Ipads have the previous generation of the CPU (A8), and the next generation Ipads and mobile phones will probably have two core A9s. Those are all $500-$600 devices when you take out the subsidy from the contract. This system has a four core A9 as well as by far the most powerful mobile GPU ever conceived. Even if it sold at $500-$600 it would be far ahead of the other devices selling for the same price. Selling for $400 would be a complete bargain, and $300 is the domain of clueless kids who think Sony even views the 3DS as a real competitor. They're not going to sell the most advanced mobile device ever created for $50 more than a shrunken gamecube.[/QUOTE]

If they launch above 300, it won't sell a fucking single unit. Bottom line.

See the PS3 launch for more details.

[quote name='mykevermin']I dunno, I'm impressed. They addressed the concerns consumers had in terms of dual analog, speed of game loading (UMD). Now they're less limited in terms of space for development as they were w/ UMDs (not that was ever an issue).

The touch screen(s) change things, too.

I think it's a very impressive device on the whole. I'm waiting to see info on
1) battery life
2) hardware price
3) third party support
4) account activation compared to PSP
before I swoon, though

(what I mean w/ 'account activation' is that I have DD content bought on multiple accounts - I can only use one account's software at any one time.)[/QUOTE]

yeah, I see where you are coming from and all of the improvements are great but I think most people can agree that "full-sized" games like Uncharted, Call of Duty, etc. just don't sell on portable systems and I don't think that is what consumers necessarily want out of a handheld. You are right - the memory sticks are going to be great (no UMDs and faster loading) and the touch screen and dual analog sticks will actually make a huge difference. I've always wished the iPhone had proper controls. Bah, maybe I am psyched for this thing after all... let's just hope it is less than $300.

[quote name='Halo05']If they launch above 300, it won't sell a fucking single unit. Bottom line.

See the PS3 launch for more details.[/QUOTE]

LOL, look at all the broke little kids getting butthurt. Why do you think they will sell this for half as much as less advanced devices go for just because you can't afford to pay more? You will just have to settle for the 3DS and Nintencats while the adults play Uncharted.

Protip: you are not their target market. People like me with large disposable incomes are their target market.

[quote name='javeryh']... let's just hope it is less than $300.[/QUOTE]
I think that's going to be the catch. I'm fearful this thing is going to cost $350.:bomb:

I think this device will be 400-500 dollars, just look at the price of the iPad and its features compared to this thing.

[quote name='Vader582']I think that's going to be the catch. I'm fearful this thing is going to cost $350.:bomb:[/QUOTE]

It will be $400-$600. Stop anchoring your expectations based on what past portables cost and instead start comparing what's in the PSP2 to other mobile devices on the market right now. The 3DS/PSP2 disparity is similar to Wii/PS3. Wii launched at $250, PS3 at $600.

[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']LOL, look at all the broke little kids getting butthurt. Why do you think they will sell this for half as much as less advanced devices go for just because you can't afford to pay more? You will just have to settle for the 3DS and Nintencats while the adults play Uncharted.

Protip: you are not their target market. People like me with large disposable incomes are their target market.[/QUOTE]

Lets look at it this way. If this device is just a PSP with more power to it and retails more than $300 it will be a hard sell. One reason the iPod touch is so big right now is it has thousands upon thousands of apps. If the PSP just plays games, music and videos then to the average consumer why buy a PSP 2 when an iPod touch can do much more.

Now if this has the ability to use Android apps then this device will be easily worth the price tag.

[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']Protip: you are not their target market. People like me with large disposable incomes are their target market.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for confirming Halo05's point then...it won't sell. Sorry Mr. (supposed) Moneybags, your group is a niche consumer base.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Thanks for confirming Halo05's point then...it won't sell. Sorry Mr. (supposed) Moneybags, you are very niche consumer base.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. If the that's the target market this thing is going to fail big-time. The thing that worries me about such a high price is that while it may be great for playing games it still can't compete with an iPhone and the thousands of $1 apps. People aren't going to switch to a new PSP and start playing $50 per game no matter how great the games are. Even if you could buy android apps, that won't make anyone switch either - their phones already run them!

Also, if I had the choice between Uncharted on my PS3 and Uncharted on my PSP2 I'd pick the PS3 every time. Maybe they can start selling games like blu-rays that come with both a DVD and blu-ray disc...

[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']It will be $400-$600. Stop anchoring your expectations based on what past portables cost and instead start comparing what's in the PSP2 to other mobile devices on the market right now. The 3DS/PSP2 disparity is similar to Wii/PS3. Wii launched at $250, PS3 at $600.[/QUOTE]
If they want it to sell, they need to keep it competitive, meaning something comparable to the 3DS and not NEO-GEO-like prices.

It's a sexy device, sure, but I'm not going to get excited until I see a price. No way this comes in at less than $300, and I'd imagine even $300 would them be taking a GIGANTIC loss. Let's also look at it this way... this is a company that, even after the price balking of the PS3, launched the PSPGo at $250. They don't seem real keen on competitively pricing their stuff, which leads me to make a guess in the $400-500 range, at minimum. The specs on this thing are just too impressive for anything less, which is sad.

To me, this is part of why Nintendo's strategy, no matter how much you disagree with it, works. When you shoot for the moon to have the most impressive device on the market, you might end up shooting yourself in the foot. People are right, though... this isn't going after the 3DS at all, this is aimed squarely at the iPhone/Android/iPad market. If they price this thing too high, they lose the game market, and it remains to be seen if they can even crack the other one.

Just like I said in the 3DS thread yesterday... Nintendo chose $250 partially on the basis that they had to have known that there's no way Sony could beat them in price. Looking at this thing, I'd say that was a fine call. It's just a guess on my part, but there's no way they didn't know at least *something* about this device before the price announcement.

I will say this, though... for someone like me, this is a pretty device. I know, however, that I also play my handhelds in my home 95% of the time. Something that's similar to a console that I could just walk over to and turn on isn't necessarily going to lure me in. To me, the DS was great because it offered things that I wasn't really getting on a console. Maybe I'm alone on this, but I do think there's a huge part of the market that Sony is aiming for that's in the same 'mostly play handhelds at home' boat. The question I'll have is what this offers to people in that group that makes it different enough to be worthwhile.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']This video shows the true beauty of the OLED screen and what the machine is capable of.[/QUOTE]
Damn! That screen is killer!

[quote name='007']

I will say this, though... for someone like me, this is a pretty device. I know, however, that I also play my handhelds in my home 95% of the time. Something that's similar to a console that I could just walk over to and turn on isn't necessarily going to lure me in. To me, the DS was great because it offered things that I wasn't really getting on a console. Maybe I'm alone on this, but I do think there's a huge part of the market that Sony is aiming for that's in the same 'mostly play handhelds at home' boat.[/QUOTE] Bingo. I play my handhelds at home 95% of the time too and personally something that is so similar to a PS3 with a higher price tag isn't going to lure me in either when I can play the PS3 on a nice big screen. Nothing against the PSP2, I will probably buy one when the prices drops to a $200 level and it is a pretty sexy device.

Sony has the most powerful handheld now, and it's hasn't won the war against the DS nor the iPhone, so what does it do...comes out with an even more powerful handheld. I'm not certain people are interested in playing console quality games on a handheld. Of course, that being said, I'll get one.

It's not a matter of whether you can afford it, but whether you're willing to spend the money on it. Would I drop $500 on a PSP2? Absolutely not.

I think if the PSP2 retails for over $350 at launch, it could easily fail without a significant price drop within its first year. Its target audience is still the core gamer first and foremost, much unlike the iPad or any other tablet or iPhone or Android device. Not only that, but it has to target the gamer interested in a handheld device (competing with several other handheld devices they may already own) and willing to spend big bucks on it. Doesn't seem like that's a very big market to me.

The other issue with a high price tag is that Sony has to move these units to get third party support to want to develop games for it. If the system isn't selling, it could run into the same pitfall the PSP did. And Sony won't make a profit if they can't sell software for the system.

I say all this with the hopes that the PSP2 succeeds. Don't get me wrong, I definitely want one. The specs are amazing, the device looks great and addresses almost all the needs and wants gamers were hoping for in a new PSP. Just choose your price point wisely, Sony.

bread's done
Back