PSP2 is going to be "Effing Powerful" [The PSP2 Thread]

[quote name='mythus']this thing seems like 400-500$ if this is what will be offered + possible contract if you decide to use the 3g. It is a powerhouse, but maybe too much for consumers in this economical climate. Hopefully they can be competitive with the 3ds, but i doubt it.[/QUOTE]

imgN-Gage1.jpg

?

[quote name='token2k6']Now there is this talk about game coming on memory sticks. I'm not sure I'm buying into this, b/c what? are they going to come in little shrink-wrapped carboard sleeves (like pack-in UMDs) and be hung on a shelf in Best Buy? could you imagine fumbling around with little memory cards on an airplane, or in a car?? it just doesn't seem feasible..[/QUOTE]REALLY?

images
9k=

images

[quote name='2DMention']This better be Backwards compatible with the PSP and not be download only, or they'll be hell to pay.[/QUOTE]

Depends. If they maintain their current very-few-titles-get-digitally-distributed approach, weak-to-middlin'-at-best store organization, and retain a very high price structure, there won't be hell to pay. People just won't buy it.

Such a technique would attempt to be trying to find middle-ground between the iPhone model and the DS model. Games that take up several GB of space and cost $30 to download won't work. iTunes works because of cost and availability.

I looked to grab Dead Space for iPhone yesterday; saw that it was $6.99. Well, I thought, I'll wait until it's $2.99 or so on sale. Shouldn't take long, and in the meantime there's plenty of other things I'll buy instead anyway.

The only PSP game I bought digitally was Lunar PSP, because it was $10 (well, okay, also Suikoden I&II, but that was ¥2000). I'm not buying $40 items I can not resell, simple as that.

There are plenty of games (UMD and PSN) in the store for $10 or less and some more in the $10-$20 range. Every game in the Top 10 Downloads for the past week is below $20. Price drops will only increase those numbers.

I might buy the PSP2 and just keep my PSP 3000 for UMD. This is based on hoping that current PSN stuff available for the PSP is backwards compatible/ can transfer to the PSP2.

If they go the memory only route, how long until I can play A Link To The Past on it? I love my PSP 1000 but for all of the wrong reasons. I got it soon after launch but I've probably only played 25-30 PSP games total due to the awesomeness of old school emulators. The games I have played though I love and they are pretty unique. Half Minute Hero, Patapon, Loco Roco, Crush, Lumines, Hot Shots Tennis, Hot Shots Golf 2, Exit, Everyday Shooter, Echochrome, etc. Why isn't the PSP more popular again????

If this device turns out to be awesome, then I would not mind selling some of my UMDs and replacing them with digital copies of the game. The only thing I am concerned with is price. Will the games be overpriced at 40-50 dollars like the 3DS, and will this device cost the same or MORE than the 3DS. I'll take a Sony portable game console over Nintendo any day, but Sony needs to get serious and be willing to go up against Nintendo AND Apple. Not just be a small overpriced product on the sidelines.

I have zero doubt that Sony has not learned from their pricing errors of the PSP and PS3. It's a bit of hubris for sure, but somewhat deserved (they were *far* behind the DS overall, but has anyone performed against Nintendo handhelds the way Sony did prior to Apple's accidental emergence in the market?). Moreover, has any company competed against Nintendo in the handheld market long enough to release a handheld successor (not a redesign, but a new console)?

I can't imagine it being any less than $299. I think they're full enough of themselves to go a full-on $350-399, honestly.

javery, as for why the PSP isn't more popular, I don't know. There have been a number of excellent games for it (half minute hero was super fun, and I'm gonna get to MGS: Peace Walker soon enough), but at the same time, it's also the last console I think about when it comes time to hitting up the game store and looking at the shelves.

Endgadget has a hands on with the supposed PSP phone. I'm guessing sony will take the iphone/itouch rout and the PSP2 will be pretty much the same thing as the phone without being able to make calls. The design kind of looks clunky to me and looks identical to the leaked images from a few days ago. I'll definately be getting a PSP2, but I would never get the phone version. I want my phone to first function as a phone/texting/email device and not have a dpad and video game buttons that have no purpose for ordinary smart phone usage. I think the phone version is dangerously approaching NGage in that sense.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/26/sony-ericsson-xperia-play-playstation-phone-preview/

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The phone has nothing to do with the PSP2.[/QUOTE]

We'll see soon enough, I hope you are correct, but I really think the PSP phone and PSP2 will be very similar. Like the ipod touch and iphone. The leaked images from a couple days ago with the psp2 branding look identical to the phone. Although maybe the images claiming to be the PSP2 are actually altered pics of the phone.

[quote name='caltab']We'll see soon enough, I hope you are correct, but I really think the PSP phone and PSP2 will be very similar. Like the ipod touch and iphone. The leaked images from a couple days ago with the psp2 branding look identical to the phone. Although maybe the images claiming to be the PSP2 are actually altered pics of the phone.[/QUOTE]
The iPhone model is a terrible model to follow when making a gaming device, as it's basically all about new systems being released yearly that are required to continue playing your games. Spending $200+ for a system should get you long-term support like any system that Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo has ever made and not to be a throwaway device like iOS products have become.

That's why making the PSP2 a phone is a terrible idea that is just an insult to their fans.

If you want to see the latest rumored specs for the PSP2, this post has pretty much everything that you'd need to know.

Remember, tonight at 10pm pst / 1am est, the press conference will be live blogged almost everywhere. Kotaku.com will have it too.

Please don't tell me that your argument is that the cost of applications is low because it's an externality of me having a cell phone and a data plan.

[quote name='caltab']Endgadget has a hands on with the supposed PSP phone. I'm guessing sony will take the iphone/itouch rout and the PSP2 will be pretty much the same thing as the phone without being able to make calls. The design kind of looks clunky to me and looks identical to the leaked images from a few days ago. I'll definately be getting a PSP2, but I would never get the phone version. I want my phone to first function as a phone/texting/email device and not have a dpad and video game buttons that have no purpose for ordinary smart phone usage. I think the phone version is dangerously approaching NGage in that sense.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/26/sony-ericsson-xperia-play-playstation-phone-preview/[/QUOTE]

I like that video 2 is nothing but ROM play. :rofl::rofl:

What? My argument was that the iPhone model is about forgoing long-term customer support to try to get you to upgrade to next year's model because you lose functionality and game support quickly if you aren't willing to fork over a ton of money every year for the latest model. Apple turned the iPod Touch and iPhone into a device that you should throw away as soon as the next version comes out and that goes against my, and I hope everyone else's, expectations of what a gaming device offers in exchange for my money.

I bought my PSP-1000 for $200 and it's been able to play every PSP game and use the vast majority of the features that were added via firmware over the past four years without me having to spend another dime on the 2000, 3000, or PSP Go just for the privilege to keep using the device I purchased. It's the same for the DS, minus the ability to have firmware to get the DSiWare store.

My iPod Touch that I bought one year ago is already outdated and deemed by Apple as a discontinued model that isn't even capable of handling fucking custom backgrounds, so I lose out on a decent number of games, apps, and other huge features that have come out since the 4.0 update because I don't think I should have to pay another $230 minimum to be in Apple's good graces as a paying customer again. There are other reasons that also factored into that, but they don't apply to this post anyway. This is the iPhone model that I hope Sony and Nintendo will ignore with the PSP2 and 3DS.

If you're just talking about getting tons of cheap-as-shit games, that's a matter of opinion since I probably expect a lot more out of those games for them to even be worth a dollar.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']What? My argument was that the iPhone model is about forgoing long-term customer support to try to get you to upgrade to next year's model because you lose functionality and game support quickly if you aren't willing to fork over a ton of money every year for the latest model. Apple turned the iPod Touch and iPhone into a device that you should throw away as soon as the next version comes out and that goes against my, and I hope everyone else's, expectations of what a gaming device offers in exchange for my money.

I bought my PSP-1000 for $200 and it's been able to play every PSP game and use the vast majority of the features that were added via firmware over the past four years without me having to spend another dime on the 2000, 3000, or PSP Go just for the privilege to keep using the device I purchased. It's the same for the DS, minus the ability to have firmware to get the DSiWare store.

My iPod Touch that I bought one year ago is already outdated and deemed by Apple as a discontinued model that isn't even capable of handling fucking custom backgrounds, so I lose out on a decent number of games, apps, and other huge features that have come out since the 4.0 update because I don't think I should have to pay another $230 minimum to be in Apple's good graces as a paying customer again. There are other reasons that also factored into that, but they don't apply to this post anyway. This is the iPhone model that I hope Sony and Nintendo will ignore with the PSP2 and 3DS.

If you're just talking about getting tons of cheap-as-shit games, that's a matter of opinion since I probably expect a lot more out of those games for them to even be worth a dollar.[/QUOTE] 100% agree here. I would like to see an app store of some kind. One reason I like the iPod is because I can get many different apps especially for streaming music which really is great for work. Plus with a big screen it would be great for things.

The argument isn't hardware, it's software (and also DD delivery).

Again, $40 for DD content consumers can not resell will fall flat on its face.

The hardware is not a necessary prerequisite of the style, organization, price and quality of the software. To paint all 99¢ apps as so similar to each other and inherently not worth it as you do is knowingly inaccurate.

Speaking of cheap software that sucks, you know what I could live without as a PS Plus member? Free minis; I haven't played a one that isn't an utter piece of shit. Oh, sure, they have Angry Birds. But I already bought that for 99¢ on the iPhone.

You do a lot of good on this site, but I can't be the only one who sees that you're not arguing out of objectivity, but because you're carrying Sony's water for them.

Look, the PSP2 may be the greatest thing since powdered toast. But you can not deny that Sony's DD for the PSP is gummed up by a wholly unappealing pricing scheme and software offerings that are not anywhere near parity with the retail offerings.

If their digital store was so excellent, we'd have never seen Patapon 2 released on UMD - that's extra cost and completely unnecessary if it were already selling so well. Adn the PSPGo would be more than a laughing stock so pitiful that people almost forget about Sony's pre-PS3 hubris.

I'd *love* to see sales numbers for PSP content on the PS Store. The top ten may be well and good, but if #7 sold 43 copies, that's not particularly impressive.

The argument was hardware since that is what I was talking about, as the lack of hardware/software support from Apple is a huge part of what I don't want to be copied by the two main gaming handheld makers. But I'll appease you since you want to talk about something completely different while making up a ton of things that you think I said here, which I'll correct.

First, I did not say nor have I ever said that the $40 PSP games are a great strategy. In fact, I've been saying the exact opposite since Sony revitalized the PSP in the summer of 2009 at E3. The market for the PSP shrank far too much too ever support that kind of continued pricing scheme, but Sony and the third-party publishers decided that wringing out as much money out of the audience that remained after the drought was worth more than trying to rebuild their new audience with cheaper games (say $30 as max MSRP and more $20 and under games at launch) and systems (No PSP price drop in three years? Drop it to $129.99). It was a poor move and one that lead to people balking on reinvesting into the system and poor sales.

Second, I never stated that $0.99 iPhone games are not worth it as an objective fact, but as a personal, subjective opinion and this continues the train of putting words into my mouth to say that I made points that I did not such.

Third, I don't know what displaying your ignorance of Minis has to do with anything here. I guess you're trying to paint me as some kind of insane Sony fanboy that couldn't stand somebody not liking the few Minis they've tried, but I'm not the one that paid for a PS+ membership.

Fourth, I guess I'm not allowed to have some selfish hopes and desires for what I want the PSP2 to be, like not wanting a 3G connection that requires a monthly fee or dual analog sticks above the d-pad and face buttons. I'll have to make sure to just post objective opinions in this thread from now on and not want the system to appeal to my tastes and interests.

Fifth, look at the first point. The day-and-date PSN plan was largely ruined by being implimented so late into the life cycle since most PSP games were made, licensed, and all that before the PS Store was even on the PSP. The only way it was going to be perfect was to kill the PSP three years ago and make the Go (as more of a successor than a stopgap solution) the PSP2 so that all development contracts from day one would include agreements about bringing those games to the PS Store on day one.

Sixth, this is again more made up bullshit. I clearly said that the store was perfectly run, designed, and the prices are all perfect. Yep. You said everything was $40 in there, so I took a look and saw a bunch of games below $20 and $10 that said otherwise. They are at least flexible enough to allow for price drops and more unorthodox pricing structures that allow publishers to drop the prices of their games without adhering to a strict pricing structure, so I saw a few old retail games at $6 or $8, some more at $10, and a bunch more going up to $20.

As far as pricing is concerned, the one great thing Sony's done since the PSP Go was making a line of GH products that would be offered at retail for $9.99 that are also priced the same on PSN. That allowed me to finally get Burnout Legends for $10 because of it. I'd love to see the cost benefits of moving to a flash memory card set-up for PSP2 games allow for variable pricing tiers for retail games to get that low since it looks like Nintendo 3DS games will be rigidly right around the $40 price tag when DS games were at least flexibly-priced between $20 and $40 despite me hating to pay above $30 for a DS game.

Seventh, it's called a test. They tested out the market for what their customers preferred and the failures of the PSP's PS Store at least offer the ability for Sony to learn from their mistakes and try to do things right from the start with their new system/platform. We'll have to wait to see what, if anything they learned from it.

Eighth, that's the kind of information that we don't really have unless Sony wants to announce that stuff. Using the ratings as hard proof doesn't work since it only counts the amount of people that bought it and rated it, which is probably a small portion of the buyers.

In summation, you probably should stop making a bunch of arguments and points based on assumptions that you made about what I'd say since you're pretty much wrong on every point. You know what happens when you assume.

Nice and simple, plus dual analog sticks.

Edit: Its official, PSP2 is using flash media cards for game media. Bye bye slow, clunky, fragile, UMDs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick Review.

The PSP2 right now is called the "NGP" or "Next Generation Portable"
NO PRICE ANNOUNCMENTS

Hardware:
Dual Analog Sticks
5" OLED Screen at a resolution of 960x640 (also a touchscreen)
Flash Cards for games
3G
Wi-Fi
Rear touch pads
GPS
Front and Rear facing cameras
A compass on 3 axes
Capable of lighting, physics, and effects found on PS3.

Features:
TROPHIES
Backwards compatibility with all digital download games (NO UMDS)
PlayStation Network (messaging, friends, etc.)
Web Browser
New interface
Live Area, a "Game-oriented communication platform"

Games shown (note: some may be tech demos)
Hot Shots Golf
Gravity Daze
Smart As
Broken
LBP
Little Deviants
WipEout
Resistance
Uncharted
Killzone
Reality Fighters
Yakuza of the end
Monster Hunter
Lost Planet 2
Dynasty Warriors
Metal Gear Solid 4
Dungeon Defenders
Call of Duty

Developers supporting the device:
Grassopper
IREM
Level 5
Namco Bandai
Square Enix,
Ubisoft
2k Games
Rockstar

Photos:
500x_psp_ngp.jpg

sony-tokyo-event-1356.jpeg

sony-tokyo-event-1385.jpeg

uncharted127.jpg

sony-tokyo-event-1444engad.jpg

500x_livearea.jpg

sony-tokyo-event-1550engad.jpg

The PlayStation Store is also coming to "PlayStation" android devices. PSone games are confirmed playable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blurry as fuck photo but you can actually see detail. Hopefully these games have anti-aliasing for once. The device looks great.

Wow, this came out of no where. Despite all of the rumors about this device I never expected it would be this awesome. At the same time I'm kind of irritated because this means I need to get one :(

Uncharted, Killzone, and a ton of third party support? What the hell. This is like, the best kept secret in the industry.

EDIT: The Uncharted thing makes sense. I remember awhile back the person who voice acts the blonde woman from uncharted stated she was doing some uncharted voice acting that wasn't for Uncharted 3.

[quote name='Das_Regal']Wow, this came out of no where. Despite all of the rumors about this device I never expected it would be this awesome. At the same time I'm kind of irritated because this means I need to get one :(

Uncharted, Killzone, and a ton of third party support? What the hell. This is like, the best kept secret in the industry.[/QUOTE]
Minus the leaked out phone no one cared about after this was shown. I am scared of the price for this device.

[quote name='Das_Regal']Good point. If it's over 300 there's now way I'm getting it. Period.[/QUOTE]
I think it will be 400 dollars. Be ready to wait for the slim version in the next 2-3 years. ;)

It has a 5" AMOLED touchscreen, touchpanels on the back, a powerful processor capable of doing PS3-type visuals, 3G on some (or all?) models, and other tablet like functionality. $300 would be a bargain for one.

It's absolutely insane to price a handheld higher than a premium console. And if the games have PS3 quality graphics and are this complicated, you can bet they're gonna cost 60 dollars too.

Yet again I get the feeling Sony is going to shoot too high and price themselves out of the market.

this thing looks awesome, I bet its gonna cost a ton...maybe even 4-500. I wonder if 3g will be built into the price or a monthly fee.

[quote name='Das_Regal']It's absolutely insane to price a handheld higher than a premium console. And if the games have PS3 quality graphics and are this complicated, you can bet they're gonna cost 60 dollars too.

Yet again I get the feeling Sony is going to shoot too high and price themselves out of the market.[/QUOTE]

So Nintendo must be crazy for charging $249 for the 3DS then? I'm sure that one isn't selling at all :roll:

The 3DS doesn't cost more than a premium console, unless... you consider the Wii, which doesn't even produce a HD signal, to "premium." Though I guess you could argue the 200 dollar 4 gig Xbox 360, but no one spends 200 dollars on that: you can't even play Halo Reach co-op on that thing.

I was mostly comparing the price of the PS3 versus a PSP2.

And... yeah, it's just my opinion. I can't justify paying more than the PS3 for a PSP2. I just can't.

[quote name='Das_Regal']The 3DS doesn't cost more than a premium console, unless... you consider the Wii, which doesn't even produce a HD signal, to "premium." Though I guess you could argue the 200 dollar 4 gig Xbox 360, but no one spends 200 dollars on that: you can't even play Halo Reach co-op on that thing.[/QUOTE]

You can spin your original quote anyway you want, but the 360 still counts as a "premium console" last I checked. Your double standards are a joke

I think the ipod touch proves the market will easily support 2-300 bucks for a portable slick devise, but Sony may be trying to reach new pricing levels with this gadget, by the looks of it

[quote name='ssjmichael']So Nintendo must be crazy for charging $249 for the 3DS then? I'm sure that one isn't selling at all :roll:[/QUOTE]

I agree. :lol:

Fair enough. The gist of what I'm saying stands, I think, 400 dollars for a handheld device during a global recession seems like a stupid idea to me, but what do I know?

where are the front "touch pads" are they where the arrow and square/triangle buttons are...or do they just mean the screen itself.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']It has got to be atleast $350.... :cry: But I am still cancelling my 3DS preorder and just going to order this instead :D[/QUOTE]

Me too man. I was sold on 3DS til tonight. Sorry Big N.

bread's done
Back