PSTwo purchasers/owners sign here

It's a fake rumor someone must pe spreading, they would have said it cant a head of time or they'd've had a worse issue than DRE's to deal with when people start complaining.

Does the PSTwo have progressive scan? I haven't found any information stating whether it does or not. Can anyone confirm? Thanks.

Mine is fully paid for, but all EB's here are sold out now. They still had some preorders ahead of me but assured me I should get it around next friday at the latest. Damn well better, this wait is driving me crazy.

[quote name='Scahom1']I heard this thing can't read blue discs. Is that correct? I am thinking of getting one but not if I can't play MvC 2...[/quote]

here's why that is a bunch of malarkey
the network adapter disc that comes with it is a blue disc.

Oh and, I have one
It's cool

[quote name='smalien1']Just got mine, I actually bought the warranty, please don't hurt me![/quote]

With the DRE's the old models had, I'm also thinking about getting a 2 year warranty.

[quote name='CrimGhost'][quote name='BustaUppa']This sucks... according to IGN, the multitap phyically doesn't fit in the PStwo ports! Apparently the new spacing between the memory card and controller ports are the problem. I was gung ho about this but now I'm not sure.[/quote]

Sony will make redesigned ones for the PStwo.[/quote]

Some third party should make a port extender, with one end plugging into the PStwo, and one end plugging into the multitap. Easily marketable at $5-$10.

Just because the the old system had them dosent mean the new one will. I havent heard anyone complain about the PSone and FMV.

So far I've noticed...

I can't get most blue disks to work.

I can't get my Action Replay MAX disk to work that I just bought with the PStwo.

The thing is super cute.

My girlfriend is inevitability going to step on it.

I posted a thread to see if the PStwo has any heating issues, no answers yet so I thought I'd ask here.

To all the people who have played on the PStwo, does it get hot after a few hours of play? How about the game disks? I imagine the cooling system/heating is similar to a laptop which may be bad because all the laptops that I have get hot pretty quickly, and when I'm done watching a DVD on it, the actual disk is warm.

[quote name='jngx80']I posted a thread to see if the PStwo has any heating issues, no answers yet so I thought I'd ask here.

To all the people who have played on the PStwo, does it get hot after a few hours of play? How about the game disks? I imagine the cooling system/heating is similar to a laptop which may be bad because all the laptops that I have get hot pretty quickly, and when I'm done watching a DVD on it, the actual disk is warm.[/quote]

Hot in a few hours.... in gets pretty warm in about 30 minutes. I've played two hours straight on it though, and it didn't frezze up or anything. It does get considerably warm though.

ill probably get one eventually, once the price drops in another 5 years. ive never owned a ps2, as i hate sony for destroying my beloved nintendo, but i just cant not own one forever as i need some of the games eventually. i waited to get a psone until the smaller one was out and was 50, so ill do the same with this, games will be even cheaper for ps2 then anyway

I still don't understand why everyone is rushing to get rid of their old working PS2s for this thing. No new functionality has been added that I can detect, and a lot of people are now having issues they didn't have with their older versions. Maybe i'm missing something, but wouldn't it be better to keep your money and just buy some new games for your current ps2 with it instead? Also losing the hard drive option from the system kind of limits some of your ability to mod your system in the future too, not that it's that big of a deal of course.

[quote name='Levizk']I still don't understand why everyone is rushing to get rid of their old working PS2s for this thing.[/quote]

Progressive scan DVD is a good reason. Guaranteeing that you have the latest hardware components is another (to prevent possible hardware issues). The latest firmware (DVD decoder, PS1 emulation, etc) also doesn't hurt.

Also, EB is screaming at us: "Please trade in your old PS2 for the new one! For Free! Please?!?!"

[quote name='Zing'][quote name='Levizk']I still don't understand why everyone is rushing to get rid of their old working PS2s for this thing.[/quote]

Progressive scan DVD is a good reason. Guaranteeing that you have the latest hardware components is another (to prevent possible hardware issues). The latest firmware (DVD decoder, PS1 emulation, etc) also doesn't hurt.

Also, EB is screaming at us: "Please trade in your old PS2 for the new one! For Free! Please?!?!"[/quote]

Many of the old ps2s can already do Progressive Scan, newer hardware components are only necessary if you are afraid your's are about to wear out, and the newest firmware isn't worth 150 bucks. Eb wants 5 games off a list plus the PS2 before they'll give you it for "free" too correct?

[quote name='Zing'][quote name='Levizk']I still don't understand why everyone is rushing to get rid of their old working PS2s for this thing.[/quote]

Progressive scan DVD is a good reason.[/quote]

Yes, but the SCPH-5xxxx models offered progressive scan DVD support without compromising the HDD slot for those who want one. For anyone who's serious about their movie viewing, I believe their needs will be better served by a standalone DVD player, as the MPEG decoder and deinterlacer chips used should be better than those offered by any console (PS2 or Xbox).

Thanks for critizing my theories while not providing any of your own. :p I didn't say they were good reasons.

I have a 50001 model and plan on trading mine in. Why? Because EB is allowing me to do it for free. I like new stuff. I will enjoy having the latest model. I am especially interested in the potential of a Sony-made LCD screen for the PSTwo (the console appears to have the connections on the back for such an item). I sold my HDD while it is still worth something, since there will be almost zero game support for it beyond the current 2 games that really use it. I really wish Sony had introduced the HDD 2 years ago so that we could have had the game support that Japan does. :cry:

Wait, I was wrong. The EB trade in isn't free. I meant to say they are actually paying you to trade in your old PS2. This is assuming that you have, or will buy, 5 games that cost $10 or less to trade in for $10 credit.

[quote name='Levizk']I still don't understand why everyone is rushing to get rid of their old working PS2s for this thing. No new functionality has been added that I can detect, and a lot of people are now having issues they didn't have with their older versions. Maybe i'm missing something, but wouldn't it be better to keep your money and just buy some new games for your current ps2 with it instead? Also losing the hard drive option from the system kind of limits some of your ability to mod your system in the future too, not that it's that big of a deal of course.[/quote]

Well, Im going in today to do the trade. The only reason Im doing it is because I have one of the release day PS2's. I know that alot of these are already dead and I want to make sure I don't have to deal with mine dieing anytime soon. I would prefer to get it now and not pay anything as opposed to later and maybe paying $150.

Bought 3 copiies of cheap games traded my old ps2 in with 5 games and bam got a free New PsTwo. I have heard of one being returned for heat related issues, lets hope sony does not have another mass uprising against them this time. Might have fixed the DREs but did they fix heat issues. ONly time can tell. Its super small and would be great for travel.

I had a total investement of $20 in games and my old ps2 (one of the orginal release models) and got a pstwo in return... I would have paid $20 for an insurance policy (i had to put tape on some of the blue bottom discs before it would read them)

I accidentaly hit hte eject button while a game was playing but quickly closed it and the game kept on playing. try playing with the cover open/

[quote name='Mook Williams']So can the psTwo read blue disks or not?[/quote]

Yes.

"Blue discs" are simply CDs instead of DVDs.

Mine seems to be working fine - gets pretty warm, but doesn't seem to affect play at all.

As far as why I traded-in:
I had a launch PS2 that was working, but was making some horrible noises with about 1/3 of my games. Sounded like the disc was bouncing around like crazy.

Most of the games worked perfectly, but I figured there was a good chance it was going to need repaired before PS3 was out, so I got in on the EB deal.

[quote name='Levizk']I still don't understand why everyone is rushing to get rid of their old working PS2s for this thing. No new functionality has been added that I can detect, and a lot of people are now having issues they didn't have with their older versions. Maybe i'm missing something, but wouldn't it be better to keep your money and just buy some new games for your current ps2 with it instead? Also losing the hard drive option from the system kind of limits some of your ability to mod your system in the future too, not that it's that big of a deal of course.[/quote]

I got it because I only had to pay 12 bucks.

I plan on doing the trade because I was about to buy a Network adaptor anyway.

Plus I noticed this quote from the "evaluating a used system" sticky in the Discussion/bragging forum, and it got me thinking:

"If the system goes from the initial animation directly to the 'Playstation 2' splash, deduct no money, that's how it should be. If it goes to the browser first, knock off $20, more if it takes more than 10 seconds of sitting at the browser. You're looking at an impending disc read error."

Well I've noticed that my PS2 has gradually been taking longer to boot up games. It always goes to the browser first, waits for about ten seconds, then starts. That can't be good!

by the way, does anyone know how much you get for trading in a PS2 multitap? If everyone gives crap trade-in values I'll just try selling on half.com or something.

[quote name='Trakan'][quote name='Levizk']I still don't understand why everyone is rushing to get rid of their old working PS2s for this thing. No new functionality has been added that I can detect, and a lot of people are now having issues they didn't have with their older versions. Maybe i'm missing something, but wouldn't it be better to keep your money and just buy some new games for your current ps2 with it instead? Also losing the hard drive option from the system kind of limits some of your ability to mod your system in the future too, not that it's that big of a deal of course.[/quote]

I got it because I only had to pay 12 bucks.[/quote]

Yeah. All I lost from it were a few cheap Jampacks, which didn't matter to me anyway. About $10 out of pocket to get a smaller, new PSTwo. And I would've never bought a HDD anyway.

[quote name='Rig'][quote name='Trakan'][quote name='Levizk']I still don't understand why everyone is rushing to get rid of their old working PS2s for this thing. No new functionality has been added that I can detect, and a lot of people are now having issues they didn't have with their older versions. Maybe i'm missing something, but wouldn't it be better to keep your money and just buy some new games for your current ps2 with it instead? Also losing the hard drive option from the system kind of limits some of your ability to mod your system in the future too, not that it's that big of a deal of course.[/quote]

I got it because I only had to pay 12 bucks.[/quote]

Yeah. All I lost from it were a few cheap Jampacks, which didn't matter to me anyway. About $10 out of pocket to get a smaller, new PSTwo. And I would've never bought a HDD anyway.[/quote]

I don't know anyone who wouldn't do it for that price. Plus, a free network adapter.

I'm thinking of losing the gamecube (no real support anymore :( ) and trading her in for a ps2.

i'm wondering - can the new units be modded? i don't know much about modding, but i'm curious.

can someone who owns the system explain to me the whole no shut off switch thing? how does the standby feature work? like i said in a previous post this is the only thing holding me back from buying the system.

yea I was wondering the same thing I always turned my off but now I cant

at least the light isn't as bright IMO

its a nice system and it cost me 8 bucks for tax plus I got to sell my network adapter :)

[quote name='BustaUppa']Well I've noticed that my PS2 has gradually been taking longer to boot up games. It always goes to the browser first, waits for about ten seconds, then starts.[/quote]

This was one thing that I absolutely hated about the HDD. It added quite a bit of time to game loading. The PS2 basically booted off the HDD instead of the BIOS, even when just playing a normal disc based game.

EB will accept Jampacks as one of the $10 trade-ins?

Still haven't decided whether I should trade in mine. I've read posts where people have problems with the slim ps2 reading blue disks, and some say it gets warm and others say it doesn't. Can anyone give me a definitive answer?

I can't recall hearing much trouble with CD based games. But I've heard it is compatable with some mod technicques but the drive door censor is inside the system now so it'd require voiding the warrentee still to play imports.

Well, I'm about to seal the deal. The only thing that had been holding me back was the need to buy a new multitap, but I just now realized that my PS1 games didn't work with the SONY multitap anyway! So screw that and screw the new PStwo multitap... I'll get a third-party one that has a PS1/PS2 switch. It's the same crap with Namco and the gun games... first party gun has no backward compatibility, but the 3rd party ones do. SONY and NAMCO can be good companies, but what the hell??

So I will be buying a new, third-party multitap that supports backward compatibility in the near future. With that settled, my PS2 is now sitting on my desk, packaged and boxed. Tomorrow I'll trade it in (remember people, the trade in deal ends 10/30!).

My only worry is that I'll have to wait a couple of weeks to get one in stock... and Smackdown vs. RAW comes out this Tuesday!! Oh well, it will be worth the wait, if it comes to that.

bread's done
Back