Puerto Rico is coming to XBLA!!!! (Rumor)

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I am an effing psychic. Just a couple days ago in the chess thread I posted about all the board games we need to see on xbla.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I was really excited to hear that caracassone was coming. I hope to see other games like maybe Power Grid, Ra, Bohnanza, Puerto Rico, Tigris and Euphrates or any war game.[/quote]

And look what just popped up on Joystiq

Puerto Rico is one of my favorite board games ever. I realize most of you have not played it, or any Euro game besides settlers before (or likely any board game not sold at Walmart). But if you want to know why you should care, head over to www.boardgamegeek.com (the premier site for board gaming) and look at the user rated top list of all card and board games (thousands).

[quote name='CAG 79']WTF? I'm from Puerto Rico and I've never heard of such game. :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

lol, im not Puerto Rican but thats basically what came to my mind as well.

So ths is a game? I thought we were invading the market, or something. Perhaps a video game where you invade the island?

What's this board game about?

Never heard of it either, but the information is out there, people :). Gameplay summary, shamelessly stolen from wikipedia (here):

The game consists of several different mechanisms which fit together in a carefully designed way. While the rules are simple, misunderstandings are common; players should play one step at a time from the rulebook at least once.
The game is played on a separate board for each player, with spaces for city buildings and plantations. The resource cycle of the game is that players grow crops which they exchange for points or money. The money can then be used to buy buildings, which allow players to produce more crops or give them other abilities. Buildings and plantations do not work unless they are manned by colonists.
Throughout the game, players take on different roles (Captain, Mayor, etc.). If a role is picked, it will affect all players. But the player who picks it gets special privileges. The turn structure consists of three nested loops. The outermost loop is who gets to choose a role first. The middle loop is where each player chooses a role. The innermost loop is where each player acts based on the chosen role.
Each player's accumulated points are kept hidden from the other players, so there is no knowledge of a specific score or ranking until the end of the game. As the game enters its later stages, players may only be able to guess at their score in relation to other players.
The game has several different end conditions which are calibrated so that no one strategy is dominant.
  1. The game ends if the preset supply of colonists is exhausted.
  2. The game ends if the preset supply of victory points is exhausted.
  3. The game ends if any one player builds in all twelve spots in his city.
The winner is the player with the most victory points: money and goods are only a tie-breaker.

[quote name='life.exe']Never heard of it.[/QUOTE]

I think that counts for 99.999999999999999999999% of the world.
Which I would be a part of.

So we get some shit called Puerto Rico, and no Chess.

Chess is played in every culture in the world. Its one of the oldest games known to man. But we get Puerto Rico instead of the King of games.

Cuba is coming to XBLA, too!!! (rumor)
view

[quote name='Sarang01']Personally I'd like to see "Monopoly".[/quote]
that would be insanely good...i have never thought about monopoly over XBL..i would buy it in a heartbeat if it was done well with online features that made it rewarding to win (aka not be stupid online like in poker games)

I'm thrilled, mostly because the game really is quite good and could easily be another one of those "4-player camera-fest laid-back" games given the proper treatment. I'd buy it in a heartbeat, especially since all of these board games plus the online options should bring another five to ten of my friends into the 360 camp and end up buying a box.

[quote name='Sarang01']Personally I'd like to see "Monopoly".[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't. Monopoly is a game that's fun every once in a while, but the novelty gets exhausted on me after a couple games.

I am in Puerto Rico, and never heard of that game, if it's from my island, I doubt is any good........

Everyday that passes by this island value goes down and down, don't get here for vacation, politicians have our island very messed up......

I have Monopoly on the SNES. The computer was cheap as hell though.

I wish they had a package of board games. Like Sorry, Monopoly, and some other board games packaged together for $30 or so.

As I suspected, almost none of you have heard of any of these Euro games. That makes me very sad. Most people have only ever been exposed to board games played with dice that you buy in department stores. It's a shame.

Just take a look at this list: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browser.php?itemtype=game&sortby=rank

I highly recommend that if any of you are feeling bored or adventurous, go out and buy some of these games in the top 25.

This list is voted on by thousands of people btw, this is considered the definitive list of board/card games sorted by reviewed rank. Pretty much every game ever made is on it (you can search). Even ancient chinese games such as Go are on it.

I am thrilled that this will come to XBLA, you will all love it, I promise (most of you anyway)

The other games I really think would translate well to XBLA are Tigris and Euphrates (very strategic, like chess) and Ra (a bidding/auction style game)

BTW, Settlers, the most popular of all Euro games, is ranked 24th.

[quote name='thrustbucket']As I suspected, almost none of you have heard of any of these Euro games. That makes me very sad. Most people have only ever been exposed to board games played with dice that you buy in department stores. It's a shame.[/QUOTE]

So you can sleep at night, I've heard of it, played it and loved it. I don't own it, but I do own some of the other Euro games in your original post. I'd buy Ra, Amun-Re, or Fossil in a heartbeat. Bohnanza would be fun, but kind of a headache for trading offers.

I'm glad to see any of these games hitting XBLA, and any extra exposure is beneficial for the industry. Hopefully it'll be successful and inspire more games like these to make the jump to XBLA.

[quote name='Jek Porkins']So you can sleep at night, I've heard of it, played it and loved it. I don't own it, but I do own some of the other Euro games in your original post. I'd buy Ra, Amun-Re, or Fossil in a heartbeat. Bohnanza would be fun, but kind of a headache for trading offers.

I'm glad to see any of these games hitting XBLA, and any extra exposure is beneficial for the industry. Hopefully it'll be successful and inspire more games like these to make the jump to XBLA.[/QUOTE]

Great, I don't feel so alone now. Nice to see another bored gamer!

Cool, I'm down for any and all board / card games. I just wish that Konami realized that a Yu-Gi-Oh online card game would be quite the money maker.

bread's done
Back