Punch Out Wii - General Discussion and Info

Control Breakdown
Right Punch: Wiimote forward
Left Punch: Nunchuck forward
Duck: Down on the analog stick
Dodge: Wiimote left or right

That last move has me a bit worried. I didn't hear how to make a punch towards the head. I imagine it's something stupid like Up on the d-pad then punch.

[quote name='KingBroly']Control Breakdown
Dodge: Wiimote left or right

That last move has me a bit worried. I didn't hear how to make a punch towards the head. I imagine it's something stupid like Up on the d-pad then punch.[/QUOTE]

Hm? It's been known for quite a while that the dodge and jab controls were mapped to the analog stick for the motion control scheme. Don't forget that there's that "classic" control scheme too, with the Wiimote held sideways like the NES controller.

Motion Control Scheme Breakdown
Dodge: Analog stick left or right
Block: Up on the analog stick
Jab: Up on the analog stick + Right/Left Punch

I saw a GDC video where when dodging was explaining he moved the Wiimote to either side. Maybe he moved the analog stick and I didn't see it, but the impression was waggle for dodging.

[quote name='KingBroly']I saw a GDC video where when dodging was explaining he moved the Wiimote to either side. Maybe he moved the analog stick and I didn't see it, but the impression was waggle for dodging.[/QUOTE]

I've seen the previews and I noticed that a lot of players at GDC tended to get into a Wii Boxing mentality while playing Punch-Out, as evidenced by their dodging motions and a number of previewers just flailing the Wiimote around; they either didn't listen to the control instructions and made spot assumptions, or they just developed some tough-to-break Wii Boxing habits.

The Nintendo Power review above also confirms that the only time dodging motions come into play is with the Wiimote+Balance Board control scheme. The other schemes rely either on the Analog stick (Motion scheme) or D-pad (Classic scheme) for most of the actions.

That's definitely a relief, then. I don't know why I'm hyped for this game all of a sudden, maybe it's the theme. I've never really had much experience with Punch Out (I've played maybe 1 fight against Glass Joe on the Animal Crossing version and that's it), but we'll see if I like it or not. I plan on using Wiimote/Nunchuck, though.

A transcript of the Official Nintendo Magazine UK review (91%) has been posted online. It has a few spoilers, mostly involving the Title Defense mode:
http://highdefgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8795

If you're a returning Punch-Out! fan and you don't want to read any spoilers, let me summarize their description of this mode using an analogy.
Punch-Out! (NES):Super Mario Bros. :: Title Defense:SMB2J (The Lost Levels) :: Punch-Out!! (Wii):Super Mario Bros. Deluxe

I seriously hope this game is at least Punch Out difficulty and not Super Punch Out difficultly. Super Punch Out was so ridiculously easy.

[quote name='Zing']I seriously hope this game is at least Punch Out difficulty and not Super Punch Out difficultly. Super Punch Out was so ridiculously easy.[/quote]

Agreed. I was thinking the same thing reading the GI preview. I hope this shit is hard because the difficulty of the NES game still has me playing it 20 years later. Tyson has some unforgiving difficulty but most of the 2nd half of the game bouts are enjoyably challenging.

I'm not sure I buy that the motion controls will be good enough (precise) to work during challenging gameplay. I'll stick to the old school controls.

Still looking forward to this, but i honestly have this feeling that the game is going to bomb sales wise. I think this game would have been great as a PSN/Live title, but as a retail 50 buck game with no online and only 13 unique boxers, seems pretty lackluster overall as a package. I flippin love Punch Out on NES and the SNES one, while easy, is still great. We'll see how it goes.

[quote name='Cao Cao']A transcript of the Official Nintendo Magazine UK review (91%) has been posted online. It has a few spoilers, mostly involving the Title Defense mode:
http://highdefgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8795

If you're a returning Punch-Out! fan and you don't want to read any spoilers, let me summarize their description of this mode using an analogy.
Punch-Out! (NES):Super Mario Bros. :: Title Defense:SMB2J (The Lost Levels) :: Punch-Out!! (Wii):Super Mario Bros. Deluxe[/quote]

So basically, the main mode is really easy and Title Defense is insanely hard.

GamesRadar posted four exclusive videos today.

The first set are the first videos of Piston Hondo (Formerly Piston Honda) and Great Tiger:
http://www.gamesradar.com/f/punch-out-exclusive-boxer-reveals/a-20090505102313775034

The next page in the article contains the first videos of Title Defense mode, showcasing this mode's Glass Joe and King Hippo. As always, spoiler warning since this is a mode that you get after beating the game:
http://www.gamesradar.com/f/punch-out-exclusive-boxer-reveals/a-20090505102313775034/p-2

Minor update to the roster:
[hiddenlist]
Glass Joe
Von Kaiser
Disco Kid
King Hippo (Trailer)
------------
(We only know the order for the Minor circuit, so from here on, the order's just a guess)
Don Flamenco (GI article)
Bear Hugger (GI article)
Great Tiger (Nintendo Power)
Piston Hondo (Nintendo Power; name slightly changed from Piston Honda)
------------
Bald Bull (Promotional Poster)
Soda Popinski (Best Buy ad, ESRB Summary)
Mr. Sandman (Best Buy ad)
Super Macho Man (ESRB Summary)
------------
Mr. Dream (Not confirmed, but as others have pointed out, the silhouette on the web site resembles him)[/hiddenlist]

Wow, I'm a lot more excited about title defense mode now; I can't wait to see how they change Bald Bull. I wonder if Piston Honda's name change was because of the similarities to the car company, or the street-fighting sumo wrestler.

As KingBroly submitted to GoNintendo, Piston Hondo has been added to the official web site. I guess this means that PH will be the first guy that players will go up against in the Major Circuit.

[hiddenlist]
Glass Joe
Von Kaiser
Disco Kid
King Hippo (Trailer)
------------
Bear Hugger (GI article)
(We only know the order for the above boxers, so below this, the order's just a guess)
------------
------------
Mr. Dream (Not confirmed, but as others have pointed out, the silhouette on the web site resembles him)[/hiddenlist]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Kyattsuai']First, eh? I doubt that's exactly what Piston Honda had in mind when he put "#1" on his headband...[/quote]

Maybe he's been taking a lot of self-esteem boosting classes?

"super punch-out!! is also a perfect compliment to the new game since it plays almost exactly the same way but shares only five of its 16 opponents with the Wii title." -Chris Si June 2009 nintendo power review of super punch-out!! for VC.

1.Bald Bull
2.Bear Hugger

we know those 2 already^

3.Super Macho Man (leaked cause of esrb rating)
4.Mr. Sandman (best buy add)
5.??? my guess Dragon Chan.

the 3 pics of SPO in the review are of Bear Hugger Bald Bull and Dragon Chan, imo this is a hint...

ALSO this means Mr. Dream doesn't "fit" since he wasn't in "super punch-out!!" UNLESS Soda Popinski is cut... imo Soda is likely to come back and that silhouette is just a place holder.

this would also make Super Macho Man the last boss... which does not feel right to me, however with the new video of title defense mode i really feel the first run through the 13 boxers is more like HALF WAY threw the game so a secret final boss *cough*Doc Louis*Cough* after "title defense mode" is a definite possibility.

[quote name='Zing']Wait, what? Piston Hondo? WTF?

Also... "plays exactly like Super Punch Out" is not a good thing to me.[/QUOTE]

It seems like an unlikely comparison. This is a remake of the NES Punch-Out!, and I have yet to see any major mechanics added from Super Punch Out, except maybe the transparent boxer perspective and that up is block and down is duck. It still uses the Stars & Hearts systems from PO, there's still three rounds with the possibility of winning by decision, and there is still a bigger focus on "puzzle-solving" and exploiting weaknesses.

SPO, on the other hand, had the S-Gauge that gave you unlimited specials as long as you didn't get hit, and generally, every fighter could be beaten by punching them like crazy until they staggered, then hitting them more with your punches and specials. The latter has been proven impossible in Punch-Out!! (Wii) due to the preview videos already released, as many players in the videos who tried this "Non-stop punching" strategy either found themselves going nowhere at best (Even Glass Joe knows how to block), and at worst leaving themselves open to the opponent's punches.

[size=-2]Quick Note: I made a quick edit to the roster in my above post, since some folks at GameFAQs looked through the official site's code, and it sounds like Bear Hugger is going to be added to the site on Friday[/size]

You do realize there must be a 5th SPO character according to that quote i posted above. It's from the Virtual Console Review of SPO in the June 2009 Nintendo power, NOT in the Punch-Out!! Wii sections of the magazine so i think a lot of people missed it but it's a HUGE factor in determining who the remaining unconfirmed characters are.

the currently proposed roster Can't be the final roster, since you've only got 4 characters who appear in SPO.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Probably will wait for a price drop on this, but still pretty interested in it.[/QUOTE]

It's a Nintendo product, you'll wait years for it to show up in a Players Choice line, if and when Nintendo makes one for the Wii.

That said, some store might have a decent deal, but no MSRP drop is coming this decade.

I'm sure it will be on sale somewhere, didn't mean I'd wait for an MSRP drop. Animal Crossing has been $30 several times already, as well as other Nintendo First Party games, even though MSRP is still the same as it was on release. This game just doesn't look like it has enough new stuff in it to warrant a $50 price tag.

Two updates and videos today. First is on the official web site, and it's the expected Bear Hugger update, check it out.

The second update came via a French-language trailer from Amazon France, which showcased a never-before-seen character at around the 2:00 mark:
http://www.amazon.fr/gp/mpd/permalink/m1XZGECHCI85ZU

[hiddenlist]
Glass Joe
Von Kaiser
Disco Kid
King Hippo (Trailer)
------------
Bear Hugger (GI article)
------------
(We only know the order for the above boxers, so below this, the order's just a guess)
Aran Ryan (Amazon France Trailer, not officially named yet, so spelling may change)
------------

[quote name='KingBroly']Um...wrong. That is not Soda. It is the character in this video most likely:[/QUOTE]

I think that video clenches it (Pun Intended). Aran Ryan was certainly a first thought for me, but there was a part of me that doubted it. Probably denial, since Ryan was easily the blandest boxer in the Super Punch Out line-up (A Piston Hurricane clone with a strong defense and clenches), only ranking above Pizza Pasta and Kid Quick for the whole series. The thing in the video that did it for me? I had forgotten that Aran Ryan wore green shorts with a yellow stripe; I always thought that he wore gray shorts.

But I still have faith that they wouldn't include him if they didn't have some plans to make him more interesting. After all, they did a great job changing the bland Kid Quick into Disco Kid, so it will likely work out. I guess the only question left is who he is replacing, if anybody. Popinski, Mr. Sandman, and Mr. Dream are the only three who haven't been completely confirmed. Now it's clear that it was the former two in that Best Buy ad a few weeks ago, so that just leaves Mr. Dream.

However, I'm not quite convinced that he's being replaced. What if he wasn't a part of the 13 figure, but he's still in the game? This thought came to me when ONM UK called the main mode "a good introduction" to the rest of the game, which is not something that you would say if it involved Mike Tyson/Mr. Dream. Consider this: Mike Tyson/Mr. Dream was an incredibly challenging final boss, so what if Mr. Dream, rather than being a part of the main 13, turns out to be the final boss of Title Defense mode (Sort of like the "Another World Circuit" in the NES game)?

Well, the attire matches that of Ryan, not Popinski. Also, there is a ponytail. I doubt Popinski grew that much hair, let alone a ponytail.

[quote name='KingBroly']Well, the attire matches that of Ryan, not Popinski. Also, there is a ponytail. I doubt Popinski grew that much hair, let alone a ponytail.[/QUOTE]

Don't know why you felt the need to post that. I already admitted that it was AR, and even edited my previous post to remove my theory and add him to the roster. Anyways, the trailer is now up on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s46bomV1sl4

I'm new to this forum and haven't read the whole thread, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I've read several places that the game has 16 opponents, not 13.

Given this, it all fits. There would be:

- Four circuits with four opponents each a la Super Punch-Out!!
- All ten characters from the original Punch-Out!!
- Five characters from Super Punch-Out!! (Considering Bald Bull, Mr. Sandman, and Super Macho Man to be Punch-Out!! characters, not Super Punch-Out Characters.
- A final boss not in any of the four circuits, possibly Mr. Dream.

We already have Bear Hugger and Aran Ryan confirmed, so the final roster would look like this:

Aran Ryan
Bald Bull
Bear Hugger
Disco Kid
Don Flamenco
Glass Joe
Great Tiger
King Hippo
Mr. Sandman
Piston Hondo
Soda Popinski
Super Macho Man
Von Kaiser
??? (Super Punch-Out!! Character)
Mr. Dream

The Super Punch-Out!! roster, not including the opponents already listed above, looks like this:

Gabby Jay - Profoundly unpopular, made redundant by the presence of Glass Joe.
Piston Hurricane - Made redundant by the presence of Piston Honda.
Bob Charlie - Bland and unpopular, but perhaps they want some Jamaican flavor? Could be updated.
Dragon Chan - The obvious choice. The most popular character from Super Punch-Out!!, and the most commonly referenced.
Masked Muscle - The spitting made some purists mad, but the character is colorful, and provides an opportunity to play with Mexican stereotypes in a lighthearted way, like what they're doing with the French Glass Joe and the Japanese Piston Hondo.
Heike Kagero - Presence is unlikely, given that the game already has the Japanese Piston Hondo, but possibility of a more proper execution of the bishōnen concept is intriguing, as opposed to the creepy transvestite they made him the first time.
Mad Clown - Colorful but unpopular. The addition of another obese character seems unlikely.
Narcis Prince - Sort of unmemorable, but so is Aran Ryan. He seems to fit in the new roster better than most of the other Super Punch-Out!! opponents, though it might be redundant to have two characters absorbed with their personal appearance in Don Flamenco and Narcis Prince.
Hoy Quarlow - Use of the staff angered most original Punch-Out!! players, doesn't seem to fit in with the roster.

Assuming my interpretation of the information is correct, I'd say Dragon Chan is just about a given, but I'm stumped on the other two. I think we can safely rule out Gabby Jay, Piston Hurricane, Hoy Quarlow, so the remaining two could come from Bob Charlie, Masked Muscle, Heike Kagero, Mad Clown, and Narcis Prince.

I want to know what places are saying the game has 16 fighters. Even the commercial just posted mentions '12 fighters' (they're clearly not including the final fight)

[quote name='KingBroly']I want to know what places are saying the game has 16 fighters. Even the commercial just posted mentions '12 fighters' (they're clearly not including the final fight)[/quote]
"12 classic characters plus new ones"

[quote name='KingBroly']I want to know what places are saying the game has 16 fighters. Even the commercial just posted mentions '12 fighters' (they're clearly not including the final fight)[/QUOTE]

Indeed, even ONMUK's review said that they beat 13 fighters in the first mode, before going into the Title Defense stuff.

[quote name='Doomed']"12 classic characters plus new ones"[/quote]

So...12 fighters + Disco Kid + 13 "new" remixed characters

Not to derail the conversation here, but I have a NES Punch-Out quesiion. Punch-Out is my favorite game. I've played it incessantly. I can playthrough the entire game without getting punched (excluding Sandman's and Tyson's rather erratic punches that come out of nowhere sometimes)

Two days ago, I dodged one of White Tyson's (I refuse to call him Mr. Dream) punches. But I did so by accidentally mashing on the upper left hand part of the directional pad. This caused me to not dodge, nor block, but do some kind of diagonal dodge which is accompanied by a sound. What in the hell did I do? I've never seen nor heard it before.

[quote name='strayfoxx']Two days ago, I dodged one of White Tyson's (I refuse to call him Mr. Dream) punches. But I did so by accidentally mashing on the upper left hand part of the directional pad. This caused me to not dodge, nor block, but do some kind of diagonal dodge which is accompanied by a sound. What in the hell did I do? I've never seen nor heard it before.[/QUOTE]

In the NES version, if you double-tap the block button (Down), then Mac will duck. It's a pretty useless move in the NES version, as it is basically just another dodge direction that's tougher to successfully pull off than the other dodges.

I just wanted to thank Cao Cao for posting all the hilarious vids in this thread.

GIVE HIM ZE UPPACUT
GIVE HIM ZE UPPACUT

Man that never gets old.

The new ads are pretty brilliant. Little Mac praising himself in the mirror until the guy walks out of the bathroom just kills me.

Another site update. It's Great Tiger for today, so that means that Don Flamenco is the Major Circuit champion.

[hiddenlist]
Glass Joe
Von Kaiser
Disco Kid
King Hippo
------------
Piston Hondo
Bear Hugger
Great Tiger
Don Flamenco
------------
Aran Ryan (Amazon France Trailer, not officially named yet, so spelling may change)
Mr. Sandman? (Best Buy ad)
------------

According to Gamerankings, Nintendo Power gave Punch Out an 8.5 out of 10.

IGN, Gamespot, and 1up should have their reviews up soon.

[quote name='databuild']According to Gamerankings, Nintendo Power gave Punch Out an 8.5 out of 10.

IGN, Gamespot, and 1up should have their reviews up soon.[/quote]
Has Nintendo Power ever given a first party game anything under a 7? NP is not the only one. 10=perfect, 9=great, 8=good, 7=okay 6-0=unheard of

Didn't see it noted before, but that is Isiah Whitlock Jr. (Sen. Clay Davis in HBO's "The Wire") as Doc in those new Punchout! ads. Good stuff.

GameTrailers has some videos up, but it appears that
Don Flamenco IS NOT the title holder of the Major Circuit.
That's a very interesting development.

[quote name='KingBroly']GameTrailers has some videos up, but it appears that
Don Flamenco IS NOT the title holder of the Major Circuit.
That's a very interesting development.[/QUOTE]

Guess we might find out for sure today, 1up is doing a live play-through of Punch-Out!! (Supposedly of the entire Minor and Major circuits) for their Game Night event. It's today at 5:00pm PST:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174170

[quote name='happyone']Didn't see it noted before, but that is Isiah Whitlock Jr. (Sen. Clay Davis in HBO's "The Wire") as Doc in those new Punchout! ads. Good stuff.[/QUOTE]

Sheeeeeeiiiiiit!! Gotta love Clay Davis.

I put down my pre-order today at GS with credit I've had since xmas. Can't wait for next Tues! I'm purposefully not watching any of the vids or reading any articles about the game.

I think there are 4 fighters in the Major Circuit. 1up only showed through Great Tiger, but they said they couldn't show him even though everyone knows who it is.

bread's done
Back