Punch Out Wii - General Discussion and Info

I just started to play this game. Great game.
This is what games should be like, great gameplay and graphics as an aftermath.

first wii game I enjoyed in over a year.

I gave the motion controls & balance board another serious try today for a few hours. It was a lot smoother. I am still stuck on Great Tiger after 5 tries, but it feels more natural now.

Rented this game and it's awesome I just made it to Great Tiger but taking a break for now before fighting him. Reminds me of how fun games were as a kid playing this for days and days since I didn't have to many games. Really wish I would've Gameflyed it now since i've got $15 worth of codes, $28 would've been sweet.

I'm so glad they didn't ruin the controls and force you to use the stupid motion stuff. I know i'm a minority but I don't like it, i'm a button pusher for life. :)

First time i've played my Wii in several months!

Played through this with friends last night. Had to retry Don Flamenco and Super Macho Man several times but the rest weren't too bad. Then we got to Mr. Sandman and wound up quitting after just a few tries, it was already late as hell and we knew we wouldn't be figuring him out anytime soon.

I don't see myself still being interested in it in 2 months. Fun while it lasts though.

I think I'll go back it tomorrow or later tonight. Piston Hondo was sort of tough the first time around so I want to make sure I know what I'm facing this time.

So , question for those of you that have played all 3 punch out games. How would you rate the difficulty between the 3 (as in which one is the hardest and which is the easiest)?

The impression I kinda get from reviews of the new game is that the challenge order would be:
Easiest : Punch Out (Original)
Medium : Punch Out (Wii)
Hardest : Super Punch Out

I have no idea whether this is true or not , but even if it is , would it still be recommended to play them from easiest to hardest , or in the order they came out in?

I never really played the punch out games very much and I was never very good at them when I did (I chalk that up to my age at the time :p ) and never really went back to them. But now with the new Wii game and the 2 originals on the VC , I wan't to go back and play the old ones as well as play the new one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Punch-Out!! (Wii) seems more difficult that Punch-Out!! (NES). In Punch-Out (NES), I made it to Soda Popinski and gave up. Here, I made it to Bald Bull (around 1/2 through World Circuit) and I'm not completely owned. The only thing that makes this game easy is that you can practice a match before you fight the person.

Note that I used a guide heavily for Punch-Out!! (NES), and I have completely stayed away from tips on how to beat _____ for Punch-Out!! (Wii)

I tried the game out at Gamestop and it was definitely fun. Unfortunately I didn't get to try it with motion controls because the nunchuck didn't seem to be working. I later found out this was because the demo machine has a button you have to press to turn on/off the nunchuck. Oh well. In any case it was definitely fun and am going to have to ask my wife to give it to me for my birthday. :)

I also thought the game looked fantastic. Great graphics and style.

One other question while I'm thinking about it. My brother is trying to get the third achievement from fighting bear hugger (original fight - find 5 ways to get a star punch) , but he can't figure out the last one. He's already found
Hit him while Taunting
Counter his Hook
Counter his Head Smash
Counter his Bear Hug
. I suspect it involves
countering his "lets dance" taunt
but we can't seem to get it to work. Or we/him on the right track?

I was laughing for about a minute when I was fighting Bald Bull, and Doc said "If you can't beat him in a fight, how about an arm wrestle?"
I haven't gotten to his TD match yet, but I hope he's wearing his Mask X mask in it.

I got stuck on Soda Popinski and Super Macho Man, but now I'm on Mr. Sandman. I keep twitch-dodging on his "stand still" punch, so I dodge too early and then eat his fist when I recover from the dodge, I guess I should try using Practice mode; haven't done it yet.

Loving the game so far.

So for the people that want to know how Hardcore this game, let me put it this way:

Last Stand Mode
You face random fighters until you lose 3 times. Your health doesn't regenerate, either. Once you lose 3 times, you're stuck doing Exhibition Challenges. You can't get the Headgear (I believe), you can't continue your career. You want to do it again? Start a new profile.

Champions Mode (I'm still not 100% sure about the first part of this)
After winning 10 matches in Last Stand Mode, this replaces that, and it's the same thing with 1 exception: 1 hit knocks you down. Your Career could be ended by Glass Joe in 1 hit (how embarassing would that be?) You can also choose Champion style matches for Exhibition Mode once you unlock it.

For both, you cannot restart or quit matches, and so if you think you're going to lose, you have to go back to the Home menu to restart the game.

Yesterday, once I beat Super Macho Man (on contender mode), it was too late to take on Mr. Sandman, so I just faced him once before bed just to see what he was like, and I got crushed. I didn't think I had any chance of beating him anytime soon. So today when I wake up I play and beat him first try (by decision, although I was one set of hits away from TKOing him). I'm still completely stunned, especially considering I lost like 7 times to Super Macho Man before beating him, and he seemed much easier than Mr. Sandman.

[quote name='ihadFG']Yesterday, once I beat Super Macho Man (on contender mode), it was too late to take on Mr. Sandman, so I just faced him once before bed just to see what he was like, and I got crushed. I didn't think I had any chance of beating him anytime soon. So today when I wake up I play and beat him first try (by decision, although I was one set of hits away from TKOing him). I'm still completely stunned, especially considering I lost like 7 times to Super Macho Man before beating him, and he seemed much easier than Mr. Sandman.[/QUOTE]
Super Macho man is easy. He has pretty consistent dodging timings, so a match or two in practice followed by the real thing should be enough. Sandman, on the other hand, is evil. I beat him, but I still have never dodged his "night night" punch without it being an accident.

[quote name='Doomed']Super Macho man is easy. He has pretty consistent dodging timings, so a match or two in practice followed by the real thing should be enough. Sandman, on the other hand, is evil. I beat him, but I still have never dodged his "night night" punch without it being an accident.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Super Macho Man seemed easier than the rest of the World Circuit, but for some reason I just kept making mistakes. And that's funny you mention the "night night" punch as being the hardest part of Mr. Sandman, because that and his triple punch move are the only ones I can say I consistently did dodge (the other moves I had to counter because I couldn't get the timing right on the dodges).

And by the way, I never went into practice, I just kept doing rematches for each fighter when I lost. I probably should have done practices though to figure out the signals.

[quote name='klwillis45']Sandman is also easy after some practice. I TKO'd him in the 1st.

Dodge sparingly, counter jabs are the key.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my strategy was basically to just keep right jabbing until he did either the night night punch or the triple punch (whatever it's called), and then dodge those.

I'm actually disappointed by how easy Super Macho Man is in this one. It's by far the easiest SMM has ever been. I can consistantly TKO him in round 1 without getting hit, and I'm not that good. His attacks are just too easy to dodge, and it's hard not to get stars on him.

At the moment, I'm up to TD Bald Bull... this one is going to take awhile.

[quote name='ihadFG']Yeah, Super Macho Man seemed easier than the rest of the World Circuit, but for some reason I just kept making mistakes. And that's funny you mention the "night night" punch as being the hardest part of Mr. Sandman, because that and his triple punch move are the only ones I can say I consistently did dodge (the other moves I had to counter because I couldn't get the timing right on the dodges).[/QUOTE]
Well, first I got the timing on the ludicrous speed punches, and his "night night" punch is designed so that if you are used to dodging as soon as he starts a punch, you'll get hit every time.

I'm up to TD Great Tiger. I've lost in TD 6 times against the last 2 fighters. Sheesh, what a pain. I can dominate these guys all day long and then one attack comes along and my timing gets thrown off completely.

On the bright side, I've completed all Exhibition Challenges for the Minor Circuit.

I will agree that Super Macho Man is easily dominated. I can dodge every attack except his "Pump It" attack. That's the only one that gives me trouble. Everything else hits nothing but air.

Just beat Flamenco in TD. I could only win the last three fights by decision; does the ref judge the match based solely on who does more damage to the other guy?

Well, i finally tried the game out last night. Felt pretty strait forward till i got to bear hugger, and the dodging turned into direction based. Ive played punchout NES over 500 times and direction never really mattered outside of weird events. So bear hugger was a huge pain, but great tiger really pissed me off, almost every single thing was directional. After 3 failed attempts, i just gave up and ill try it again today. The controls are fantastic NES style, feels just amazingly good. I also don't like how the stars aren't individual punches..

Finally got to try it out.

Fantastic game. Stopped after I took out Bear Hugger. Animation is amazing, gameplay is simple but fun, and it's wrapped up with a lot of love and polish. I'd like to think newcomers could enjoy it as much as those of us with nostalgia, but at the same time I know the gaming crowd these days is so different than what it used to be.

Highly recommended so long as you know what to expect, and can actually learn to recognize patterns and so forth. Can't wait to play it some more.

I went through the regular career mode all in the first night, but Title Defense is really where this game shines. I lost to freaking Glass Joe, and have only made it thus far to Disco Kid. The best part is figuring out the techniques of each fighter and adjusting your strategy accordingly.

Overall, the motion controls work very well, although I must admit I had to use just the Wii remote for
Mr. Sandman
due to the speed of his punches. It's really a happy medium as fans of the old school games get to enjoy the preciseness of the d-pad and button, while helping to draw in new fans with the motion controls.

I played vs. mode with a roommate, and I guess its okay, but it's not really Punch-Out as we're mostly randomly failing only occasionally trying to predict the other's movement.

I just beat Aran Ryan on Title Defense. He is really easy. Like...easier than Glass Joe on Title Defense. But the fight is also really fun.

Title Defense Don Flamenco was also fun because
I put his ass in an infinite loop for most of the fight
. But Piston Hondo, Bear Hugger and Great Tiger on Title Defense are HARD. Now it's onto Popinski for me, and then...Bald Bull. Oh boy.

I've been taking it a bit more easy with Title Defense, trying to figure out the intricacies of each fighter, but I'm kind of stuck on Disco Kid and King Hippo.

One of the challenges is to KO or TKO Disco Kid in only 90 seconds. I can't figure out when or what I'm supposed to do to get this. The other is 3 star King Hippo when he's not guarding his belly, but I can't figure out how to get stars with TD King Hippo.

Any ideas?

I finally beat Sandman today and took out TD Glass Joe in two tries. How do you get a star against him? The obvious star chance I went with right jab but no dice. Maybe I just did it too slow?

Those are the only two challenges I have left to do for those two as well. I think the Disco Kid one has got to be a well timed star punch, but so far I haven't found any instant KOs on him.

After fighting TD Bald Bull, TD Super Macho Man was easy(though at least the second time around he's more like the SMM from previous Punch-Outs with the instant KO clotheslines).
I'm up to Title Defense Mr. Sandman now. I have a feeling Sandman is going to be quite a challenge this time around. I know how to beat him, the trick is just going to be me getting good enough at dodging his attacks to actually do it. But somehow I doubt he's going to be anywhere as annoying as TD Bald Bull was, I was surprised when I managed to beat him. I've looked at the challenges for him, and I don't think there's any way I'm going to be able to do any of those, at least not any time soon.

[quote name='EXStrike']I finally beat Sandman today and took out TD Glass Joe in two tries. How do you get a star against him? The obvious star chance I went with right jab but no dice. Maybe I just did it too slow?[/QUOTE]

I know of three ways to get stars on TD Glass Joe. You can hook him when he taunts on the side that's open(the first thing he does every time), or you can counter punch his jabs with a hook. The third way is the key to beating his "Land 50 Jabs" challenge. Once you hit him with a star and the helmet flies off, jab him 5 times and it should turn yellow(instead of red). When that happens, punch him in the gut with a hook and you'll get another star.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']I've been taking it a bit more easy with Title Defense, trying to figure out the intricacies of each fighter, but I'm kind of stuck on Disco Kid and King Hippo.

One of the challenges is to KO or TKO Disco Kid in only 90 seconds. I can't figure out when or what I'm supposed to do to get this. The other is 3 star King Hippo when he's not guarding his belly, but I can't figure out how to get stars with TD King Hippo.

Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='pygmy carnotaur']Those are the only two challenges I have left to do for those two as well. I think the Disco Kid one has got to be a well timed star punch, but so far I haven't found any instant KOs on him.[/QUOTE]

My brother actually just got the KO/TKO Disco Kid in 90 challenge tonight.

The trick :
Whenever you get a star punch off of him , you can almost always get a second one on him if you gut punch him (jab?) right when he gets back in the center of the ring. Knowing this , basically punch him twice for two stars , unleash them on him , repeat until beaten. The exception is at the start of the fight , since you get the extra star at the start for hitting him while taunting , so wait until you have the 3 star punch before unleashing.

If you end up dizzying him instead of star punching him (usually happens when trying to counter his "jumping jack punch") , just let him break out of it , so as not to waste time , but if you dizzy him more than once you'll probably lose the challenge.

Sorry if anyone has trouble understanding my explanation , I can try to further clarify myself if needed.

I'm up to Title Defense Bald Bull, and there's only one problem I'm having with him, and it's the same problem I had with regular version of him. The framerate dips to 30 as soon as he does his Bull Charge attack. It throws off my timing so much.

I must be doing it wrong. I've been getting star punches on Disco Kid by hooking (or jabbing) him right after he comes out of his stun. I think I may be missing an initial star punch.

It's stuff like this that makes you realize how much depth this game has. You struggle to defeat a fighter triumphantly in the career mode only to come back later to find out that a 1 hit KO is possible. :lol:

I just beat Bald Bull on Title Defense. TKO @ 2:49:74

fuck YOU BALD BULL! fuck YOU fuck YOU fuck YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SUCK MY ASS YOU TURKISH PIECE OF SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOUR MATRIX ABILITY AIN'T GONNA HELP YOU IN HELL, BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any ideas on Soda Popinski's challenge "Beat him in round 1 with no less than 1:11 left on the clock"? My brother and I figure that it has to be an issue of utilizing the timing of the star punches , but we can't figure out how. The best he's done is 1:10.

People play games on the shittiest TV sets.

I am up to Super Macho Man. I only tried him twice. He just barely beat me.

I was using the full blown motion controls with balance board until I got to Great Tiger. I just wasn't able to dodge properly. I was getting ready to switch to the classic controls, but instead I dumped the balance board and stuck with the 'mote and nunchuck motion controls. It feels fine. I blasted up to Macho Man using motion controls with no problem. I don't see where the hate on the motion controls would come from, although I have yet to try the classic controls.

The balance board is just too much. It was too hard to quickly and accurately dodge, and I feel I was actually pretty good at it.

I also cannot seem to get the timing for the Bald Bull charge. I managed to handily defeat him anyway, since the only time he can hit me is during the charge, and he only does the charge maybe twice.

I just managed to beat Title Defense. So, if you lose to Mr. Sandman in Title Defense
it does revert back to the entrance of him as Champion, but only with his stupid haircut
. So, I'm onto Last Stand Mode now, and my first opponent is
Title Defense Kaiser

EDIT: Okay...he's down. My 2nd opponent...what the hell...
Title Defense Piston Hondo. What bullshit. This has to be the worst draw for Title Defense.

I tried the classic controls today for the first time. I immediately noticed a huge flaw. You can't navigate the menus using the d-pad. Did anyone at Nintendo even try this before release? I mean, for fuck's sake, they even highlight the menu items as though you could use the d-pad, but you still can't.

I didn't notice much of a change in my response times using the buttons vs motion control.

I tried Sandman today a few times. I can almost beat him. So far, this game has been a decent challenge. A few were laughingly easy on the first try (Aran Ryan, for example), but many take at least a few tries to get the timing down.

I spent an hour trying to figure out how to knock off Hippo's crown. ;)

Still going through Last Stand. I haven't lost through 4 matches:
Von Kaiser, Piston Hondo, Mr. Sandman, then Von Kaiser again. My next opponent is Great Tiger.
I'm sort of hesitant to face this opponent, as I've been hesitant to face every opponent in Last Stand so far. At least until I get to 10 wins. When I defeated
Mr. Sandman
in Last Stand, he didn't touch me once, so I'm happy about that.

EDIT: Beat my fifth opponent. Who's #6? Why the train of BS opponents continues for me as I will be squaring off against
Bald Bull. WTF!?

I bought a Wii two days ago and rented Punch-Out!!.

The game is just a nostalgic kick. It plays just like the games of old that I loved playing throughout the 1980's and 90's. Perfect controls, sweet looking graphics, tons of character and a lot of fun to play.

I blew through the entire Contender's Mode easily. I did get past TD Glass Joe but TD Terminator Von Kaiser is giving me fits.

I, however, can't recommend paying $68 CAN for this. When even the EB guy says he wouldn't buy it, that says something. A week long rental will give me enough of a fill. I'm saving my boxing money for Fight Night Round 4. If you own a Wii, however, this is a must rent and I guess a buy if you don't have a PS3 or Xbox 360 for FNR4. I figure it will top the sales charts in May. It's a very fun and well-made game but it does lack the legs that makes FNR4 much more enticing.

Whew...I just finished off 2 more fighters in Last Stand Mode including
DK himself (via decision). Don't be fooled by videos of people fighting him, because he's extremely tricky. If you get a 2nd knockdown on him in a round, he'll basically throw a 6 hit combo on you for a knockdown unless you can dodge it.

So that means I'm 8-0 in Last Stand Mode and am about to face Great Tiger again (my 2nd re-fight in Last Stand). Hopefully he's as easy as last time. And once I get my 10th win, I'm losing 3 straight so I can just end it.

EDIT: And that's that. Got to 10 (Glass Joe, HAHA!), lost my Belt to Great Tiger, then Glass Joe again and finally Hondo ended it. I made an SD card save just in case I want to go back. Probably won't, but it's been an awesome ride.

My punch out skills must be lacking because I thought Sandman was fucking hard and rewarding to beat. Even title defense glass joe beat me a few times. Overall the game is a lot of fun and challenging (for me). I'm no KingBroly.

I can't wait to pack it home at some point and have my brothers try it out. I remember us renting Mike Tyson's punch out (game and the NES system) from the Safeway grocery store when I was a kid. They'll love this game.

In terms of rating the game on a Buy/Rent/Pass level, I would rate this game a "Rent". It was fun to play, nostalgic to see the old characters re-imagined with today's graphics, but I found the game play to be a little boring and repetitive.

Finally beat this game on Title Defense and it's the first Punch-Out I've ever beaten. Hehe. Played the others but eventually got too frustrated. Maybe because I was impatient at that time. :lol:

Anyways, my awesome sauce retired record was 26-64 (22 KOs) and 0-3 in Last Stand. :rofl: The last circuit for Title Defense was ridiculously difficult. It felt like some super long game of Simon Says because I had to memorize so many patterns. The hardest foe for me was probably Bald Bull since I had to milk the clock and memorize 3 rounds of patterns in order to win by decision.

Anyways, I'm looking to sell this game (cml, $40 shipped) and can't wait for Fight Night Round 4! I fell in love with boxing thanks to FNR2. Plus, I never played FNR3 so I should be in for a treat. :bouncy:

bread's done
Back