Punch Out Wii - General Discussion and Info

I finally got around to trying the head-to-head mode last night. My wife has never played a Punch Out game in her life, so needless to say, it was a blowout. It takes some getting used to in this mode, since every punch is delayed (I assume to give the opponent time to react) and if you miss a punch, you are wide open for a relatively long time.

I just got done watching her play through single player mode. It is both hilarious and frustrating to watch someone actually lose to King Hippo over and over. She still has no idea how to beat him.

Beat Sandman today. It's funny how hard some of the opponents seem when you first meet them, then a few tries later and they are easy.

• Punch-Out pattern memorization you know and love with many classic characters returning.
  • Motion controls work very well, but classic control (turn the Wiimote sideways) is also an available option. The Wii balance board can also be used.
  • Fantastic art style. One of the best looking games on the Wii.
  • Easy to pick up and play, but it can be very challenging as you get deeper in to your career.
  • Title Defense Mode adds a whole new challenge to the Punch-Out experience.
  • The great characters bring a lot of personality to the game.

I just bought this game on ebay, so I'm looking forward to playing it in a few days. I bought Super Punchout on the VC a few weeks ago, so I'm know I'm going to enjoy the Wii version with its smoother graphics, animation and controls.

I actually only got a chance to play Punchout today, but wow it's a great game! I've been playing with remote+nunchuck. It's a bit of a workout that way and really fun. I haven't had problems with these controls so far, though I'm only on the major circuit now. So far, though, I've not felt that the controls did me in, rather my mistakes.

Just got the game last night, and I played it for 2 hours, which I had not planned on doing. I played through the first 2 circuits with motion controls and didn't really have problems until I faced Great Tiger and Don Flamenco. DF, in particular, rocked me good because I kept dodging too early when he threw his delayed uppercut. Afterwards, I messed around in Exhibition Mode trying to figure out how to get my star punches, and I ended up completing some of the challenges in the process. This is going to be a great pick-up-n-play game for me.

If you haven't bought this game yet, keep an eye out for a coupon in the mail. I got a coupon from Nintendo (or it may have been amazon.com, I'm not quite sure) in the mail today with a code for $5 off the game at Amazon.

World Circuit S with motion controls...(remembers the horror)

*curls up in a corner rocking back and forth slowly trying to think happy thoughts

I just wanted to say that I still love this game, and even though I'm never going to lose a fight I just keep playing anyway. My record is something like 300-19 now in career mode. At this point I'm always trying to find more creative and efficient ways to beat everyone. My favorite moment was when I figured out how to infinite combo TD Don Flamenco on my own, and then immediately used that to get all of his challenges completed in exhibition.

I don't know that I'll ever finish all of the challenges in this game, but I have about 75% of them finished. If you ask me this game has tons of replay value, I have never even touched the two player mode yet either.

I enjoyed Punchout. Totally nostalgic. I used to have the handheld game. It's a natural for the Wii and good characters. I rented it for a couple weeks, almost bought it but then decided to return it.

I somehow won a new copy with a $12 eBay bid. I've been wanting this for a while.

EDIT:

I think I've been ripped off and I'm going to go after kid. I'm already having a horrible week already with family related issues. Any advice would be appreciated. My mood is so low right now I feel like I don't have the will to do anything about it tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back