Purchase Red Dead Redemption from Gamestop.com and recieve $10 off future purchase

Sharkey1337

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Just saw that gamestop.com updated their Red Dead Redemption page, now when you purchase it online you get a future $10 gift card for online use only (which honestly are a pain in the ass as you can't use any other deal with them). BUT, a little extra incentive if you haven't preordered yet to get the special edition at regular price, here's the link:

Xbox 360: http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=74710
PS3: http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=74711

All in all, if you use 15NEW you can get the Gamestop Exclusive Special Edition of Red Dead Redemption for $51 (or $45 with 25off with over $100) and get:

• The Game
  • The Soundtrack
  • Deadly Assassin Outfit
  • Exclusive Challenges
  • $10 off future purchase

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='anticulture']They're making money because they don't buy games at MSRP.[/QUOTE]

Of course they're not buying games at MSRP. My understanding, though, has been that the margin on new release games, barring a promotion from the publisher (which they obviously can't count on with a general coupon like this), is generally around 15-20%. Even if GameStop is getting a better rate through the sheer volume that they buy, they're probably not doing better than 25-30%, in which case this coupon is wiping out most, if not all, of their profit.

But yeah, I think it's a direct shot at Amazon. I suspect that Amazon has been trouncing them in the online market, and they finally decided to do something about it, even if it meant a short-term loss.

[quote name='-Mystery-']UFC game has $10 credit with it.[/QUOTE]

Oops yeah thats correct thanks. I went through all the listed "bonus offers" again and those 3 are the only ones with a coupon code good for a discount on a future order. Also according to some with prior experience with their coupons they will NOT stack with ANYTHING else including other coupon codes. For example if you order both Red Dead Redemption and UFC Undisputed you will then be able to take $10 off of 2 separate orders in the future but you will not be able to stack them and take $20 off a single order.

Coupon codes will be sent via email when your order ships. Offers are for online purchases only.

Red Dead Redemption - $10 coupon code

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - $20 coupon code

UFC Undisputed 2010 - $10 coupon code

thanks for posting this i just cancelled my amazon order of galaxy 2 and preordered red dead and galaxy from gaystop with the 25 off. I'm gonna just use my 12.51 amazon credit on the gta dlc bringing it down to 21.03..

Went ahead and picked up Red Dead, 3d Dot Game Heroes, and a filler to bring me to the $100 for the 25 off.

so i can gets me Mario Galaxy for ... 42.50 (15new), free shipping, then 20 off my next purchase so overall 22.50.

2 questions, when you say "doesn't stack with other coupons" you are talking about the (next purchase) 20 off coupon, i can still use the 15new and i will still receive a coupon right?

2nd: i never played 1st mario galaxy (would cost like 30 used o_O). assuming it won't matter, cause it's just mario.

OK...so I'm just one click away from placing my order. It's just hard to as I haven't bought anything from Gamestop for about 2 years...but this deal seems kind of hard to pass up.

I have RDR and UFC 2010 in my cart. After the 25OFF coupon, it's $89.98. Add $7.88 tax (that's stings my ass a bit) it comes to a total of $97.86, w/ $20 in game credit for the future.

Also, I was told that pre-orders games via GS.com always arrive sealed and unopened. Is this a fact when it's shipped using Value Shipping? Just paranoid that since it takes 5-10 days to get it, it's enough time for crap shenanigans to occur.

So...should I just unruffle my panties and click the Purchase button? ;)

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']OK...so I'm just one click away from placing my order. It's just hard to as I haven't bought anything from Gamestop for about 2 years...but this deal seems kind of hard to pass up.

I have RDR and UFC 2010 in my cart. After the 25OFF coupon, it's $89.98. Add $7.88 tax (that's stings my ass a bit) it comes to a total of $97.86, w/ $20 in game credit for the future.

Also, I was told that pre-orders games via GS.com always arrive sealed and unopened. Is this a fact when it's shipped using Value Shipping? Just paranoid that since it takes 5-10 days to get it, it's enough time for crap shenanigans to occur.

So...should I just unruffle my panties and click the Purchase button? ;)[/QUOTE]

if all you're worried about is whether or not the BRAND NEW game you are ordering NEW will be unopened, then place the order, because I'm pretty certain I know of no reputable online distributors that would perform something so heinous as opening a game that a customer has ordered new. That's a pretty crazy fear, in all seriousness, unless you've never ordered anything online before.

[quote name='supershammy']if all you're worried about is whether or not the BRAND NEW game you are ordering NEW will be unopened, then place the order, because I'm pretty certain I know of no reputable online distributors that would perform something so heinous as opening a game that a customer has ordered new. That's a pretty crazy fear, in all seriousness, unless you've never ordered anything online before.[/QUOTE]

I order online all the time...exclusively to be exact. But I order mainly from Amazon (GoGamer, GameQuestDirect are others). But I haven't ordered from Gamestop in a long time. The last time I did, I ordered two of the same game brand new (they weren't pre-orders though). One came sealed and unopened, the other came gutted with the GS price sticker affixed right on the case itself. That turned me off...way off...and I haven't done business with GS since. Hence my concerns.

So is the 25OFF supposed to actually work on pre-orders? I know that it does, but is it supposed too? I already ordered two games with the code. Now I might get a couple others since I have a $50 gift card I forgot about. My fear though is that I might end up regretting pre-ordering any games with the GC if they start canceling orders. I do not want to end up loosing my gift card balance.

[quote name='SpiderHulkThing']So is the 25OFF supposed to actually work on pre-orders? I know that it does, but is it supposed too? I already ordered two games with the code. Now I might get a couple others since I have a $50 gift card I forgot about. My fear though is that I might end up regretting pre-ordering any games with the GC if they start canceling orders. I do not want to end up loosing my gift card balance.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is valid with most pre-orders. Here is the description from gamestop.com:

25OFF - 25% off any order $100 or more. Online offer only. May not be combined with other offers. Not valid on consoles, hard drives and select titles. Offer subject to change.

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']I order online all the time...exclusively to be exact. But I order mainly from Amazon (GoGamer, GameQuestDirect are others). But I haven't ordered from Gamestop in a long time. The last time I did, I ordered two of the same game brand new (they weren't pre-orders though). One came sealed and unopened, the other came gutted with the GS price sticker affixed right on the case itself. That turned me off...way off...and I haven't done business with GS since. Hence my concerns.[/QUOTE]

I have never received a gutted brand new game from gamestop.com, and I've ordered a lot from them. That said, if you do get one gutted, their return policy allows for an exchange at one of their b&m stores.

if you lose your gift card balance email them with story and they will reimburse you. I guess I have been lucky also, all my new games are sealed and perfect. crosses fingers
also when do preorders get to your house? they ship them the day it's released?

Would I be able to stack the $20 off from Mario Galaxy 2 and $10 off from UFC (when I recieve the codes) on one individual order?
I don't think it's specified on GS's site.

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']I order online all the time...exclusively to be exact. But I order mainly from Amazon (GoGamer, GameQuestDirect are others). But I haven't ordered from Gamestop in a long time. The last time I did, I ordered two of the same game brand new (they weren't pre-orders though). One came sealed and unopened, the other came gutted with the GS price sticker affixed right on the case itself. That turned me off...way off...and I haven't done business with GS since. Hence my concerns.[/QUOTE]

I haven't received a gutted online game from them, but others have (such as during the Street Fighter IV deal, where they sent out the crappy display copies which were opened and plastered with stickers).

Wow, this is a tough call. It would certainly make the decision much easier if Amazon tried to one-up GS by bumping up the $10 gift card to a $20 gift card.

So if you're reading this Amazon people, make that happen and you've got a deal. :)

I can't believe it but the GS deal is actually better for me. I'm planning on getting SMG2 and RDR for $40.xx and $49.xx, versus $42.xx and $55.xx from Amazon, which is better than Amazon's prices and includes the same giftcards and even a bonus edition for RDR.

But I don't know if I'd ever use a GS giftcard. They rarely have good sales on used games (which is usually what I buy from GS) so I'm not sure if I should go with GS...

I canceled my Walmart order and put in qn pre-order for this plus Epic Mickey from gmaestop with the 25OFF coupon. Nice deal! Thanks OP!

Is anyone having a problem going to gamestop.com?I tried it last night before bed and this morning and I cant get to it.

I did not even realize that they were offering a 20$ credit with SMG2 at Gamestop. Definitely getting it now. Thanks guys and CAG.

Now Im just contemplating whether I should cancel my preorder at Gamestop to order it online through them, id be saving about 10 dollars and getting 10 in credit. However, i would like to get the game the day it comes out.

[quote name='sasuke543']Before I move forward...does Gamestop charge you right away when you make a pre-order?[/QUOTE]

I'd also like to know this.

From what I recall, I believe they may put a hold of the amount on your card, but not actually charge it until it ships...

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']I'd also like to know this.

From what I recall, I believe they may put a hold of the amount on your card, but not actually charge it until it ships...[/QUOTE]

You're correct, they only charge the amount owed with whatever card you filed when the item ships.

I have to go for that SMG 2 deal used one of my $10 off codes only 42.63. A 20 off code will come in handy this year. Still trying to decide on RDR since a PC version might come out later this year. Mods + RDR = Win!

[quote name='ItsAMeAMario']Would I be able to stack the $20 off from Mario Galaxy 2 and $10 off from UFC (when I recieve the codes) on one individual order?
I don't think it's specified on GS's site.[/QUOTE]

Probably not according to someone that posted earlier in the thread. You may have to use them on 2 separate orders.

[quote name='kyrhon']Will I still get the 10 dollar coupon if I pick up in store??[/QUOTE]

I was wondering that also. Anyone know?

You don't get charged til it ships. and the hold is kinda iffy. I have 400 in preorders, but i only have 200 on my card. i think they contact you if you dont have enough money and they are getting ready to ship it.

My post about FREESHIP and 25OFF stacking is lost a few pages back but I have an update. Basically I was able to toss in 4 preorders plus about 3 other in-stock games that would all (obviously) ship at different times. FREESHIP stacked with 25OFF until the final payment page but I figured it was b/c 25OFF says it doesn't with other codes. I e-mailed gamestop the following just for the hell of it (assuming they would say 'you used 25OFF, no dice'):

"About an hour or two ago I placed an order on Gamestop.com with 3 currently in stock games and 4 pre-orders. I was actually attempting to use your 'FREESHIP' coupon code to get free overnight shipping on my order since the code details states 'Coupon FREESHIP - Free overnight shipping on orders over $50' which my order did. When I tried to apply the code it would say 'The coupon entered will not provide a discount based on the current contents of your shopping cart' etc and would charge me the full price for price overnight shipping so I just went for value shipping.

My question is even though my order is broken up in multiple in-stock and pre-orders would it (or any parts of the order since some are above $50) be eligible for the FREESHIP coupon? If so would it be possible for any of that to be applied even though I've already submitted the order but is still in the 'Verifying' stage?

My order number is xxxxxxxxxxxx. Thanks in advance"

Wasn't expecting much but within a few hours I got this reply:
Thank you for contacting GameStop.com.
We have gone ahead and upgraded each item to 3 day shipping. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to respond to this email.

Best regards
John
Customer Service Agent

My order page now shows 3 day shipping on EVERYTHING even though SSF4 is shipping by itself and is under $50. I know its not much but maybe I get the games a day earlier now. I'm assuming '3 day' means thursday since overnight would be shipped out monday and arrive on tuesday. Good either way.

I put my order in a few weeks ago when they had a 20% off code. Tried stacking that code with FREESHIP for overnight, but the only shipping that was offered free was their "value" shipping. Quick call to Gamestop Customer Service and overnight shipping was activated.

If you order galaxy 2 and red dead from the site do those items have instore pickup?
Looks like the 25 off code doesn't work when i put in store pickup on.
So gaystop charges me 30 dollars less to ship it to my house rather than letting me pick it up. If i want to do an instore pickup for those 2 games i have to pay 30 dollars more. SWEET

[quote name='Abeja'] ]Is anyone having a problem going to gamestop.com?I tried it last night before bed and this morning and I cant get to it.

If you can't get to the gamestop.com site - try using ebgames.com, the old url. Sometimes I can't get onto gamestop.com either, usually if I'm on a work computer, but the ebgames site still always works for me

And to add my two cents to the repeated questions - I have never gotten a gutted copy of a new or preordered game when ordering from gamestop.com. I have never been charged until - at the earliest - the day before the item ships. Usually it's charged a couple of days afterwards. And yes, I think this, and SMG2, are eligible for in-store pickup.

It looks like I can't actually cancel my order at Walmart, I guess because of how they handle free gift cards. That royally sucks, but makes me more determined to give my money to Gamestop. I can return by mail or in store, so I'll do that. Guess that's my last preorder at walmart....

[quote name='rickeeretardo']I put my order in a few weeks ago when they had a 20% off code. Tried stacking that code with FREESHIP for overnight, but the only shipping that was offered free was their "value" shipping. Quick call to Gamestop Customer Service and overnight shipping was activated.[/QUOTE]
ugh, didn't work for me ;/, the CS rep said it wasn't valid, nor was code stacking >.>.

[quote name='imacjenn'] ]
If you can't get to the gamestop.com site - try using ebgames.com, the old url. Sometimes I can't get onto gamestop.com either, usually if I'm on a work computer, but the ebgames site still always works for me

And to add my two cents to the repeated questions - I have never gotten a gutted copy of a new or preordered game when ordering from gamestop.com. I have never been charged until - at the earliest - the day before the item ships. Usually it's charged a couple of days afterwards. And yes, I think this, and SMG2, are eligible for in-store pickup.[/QUOTE]

Duh. Thanks man. Completely forgot about eb.

I just called Gamestop and the 10 dollar coupon WILL NOT be given to you if you were to pick it up in store but ordered online. You must have the game delivered to your address. Hope that helps some people~

[quote name='kyrhon']I just called Gamestop and the 10 dollar coupon WILL NOT be given to you if you were to pick it up in store but ordered online. You must have the game delivered to your address. Hope that helps some people~[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I was wondering about that. I don't mind waiting a few days for a game if it lets me get $30 in coupons in return.

[quote name='kyrhon']I just called Gamestop and the 10 dollar coupon WILL NOT be given to you if you were to pick it up in store but ordered online. You must have the game delivered to your address. Hope that helps some people~[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I can also wait (at least on Mario). Still a good deal.

Is the overnight shipping code(freeship) working for anyone, my total came to 50.99 and it only shows i can get free value shipping?

[quote name='Jay']Is the overnight shipping code(freeship) working for anyone, my total came to 50.99 and it only shows i can get free value shipping?[/QUOTE]

NO , it doesnt stack :cry::cry:

Just cancelled my pre order for SMG2 and redid my order on GS to include Mario (had RDR and 3D Hero). I had used Amazon credit for SMG2, so I got that back and used GS credit for all my pre orders. Thanks OP and everyone else for the heads up. 25% off AND game credit much better than just game credit.

Aw, dang. Oh well, it's not like I don't have enough backlog to keep keep me entertained while it ships. Now if only the gamestop gift card I'm expecting arrives I'm the next few days...

I've already gotten my night planned on for the Red Dead release unfortunately. Heading to Steak 'n Shake around 10:30PM and killing time until midnight to pick ti up.

If it wasn't for that I'd definitely jump on this deal :S

[quote name='labelmeoriginal']I've already gotten my night planned on for the Red Dead release unfortunately. Heading to Steak 'n Shake around 10:30PM and killing time until midnight to pick ti up.

If it wasn't for that I'd definitely jump on this deal :S[/QUOTE]

Hey I have been to the Steak & Shake in chattanooga :D , I have also been to that food lion :D

[quote name='labelmeoriginal']I've already gotten my night planned on for the Red Dead release unfortunately. Heading to Steak 'n Shake around 10:30PM and killing time until midnight to pick ti up.[/QUOTE]

I know this is incredibly off-topic, but man, Steak 'n Shake has gone way downhill. Last time I was in Pittsburgh I stopped at one, and was shocked to find out that they've apparently stopped using real ice cream, and are now using a powdered shake mix. I was severely disappointed -- it was nowhere near as good as it used to be.

What happens if you preorder a game before they start to offer preordering bonuses? Will they end up giving you the the added preordering bonus or are you screwed? I'm thinking about preordering dead rising 2.

[quote name='SpiderHulkThing']What happens if you preorder a game before they start to offer preordering bonuses? Will they end up giving you the the added preordering bonus or are you screwed? I'm thinking about preordering dead rising 2.[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that you'll get all of the pre-order bonuses, regardless of when you placed the pre-order. Though off the top of my head, I can't remember whether I've ever actually come up against this issue with GameStop or not.

[quote name='arcane93']My understanding is that you'll get all of the pre-order bonuses, regardless of when you placed the pre-order. Though off the top of my head, I can't remember whether I've ever actually come up against this issue with GameStop or not.[/QUOTE]
I'd say shoot them an e-mail. Although I've only e-mailed their support a few times its always been quick and painless. Not to mention certain things may be done on a 'case by case' basis so if you call in the rep might double-check to make sure you have your preorder bonus.

You can't use special coupons either (in my experience, like 25OFF) if you do in store pickup. I was very confused about this at first, but essentially in-store is totally different from the rest of ordering online (though it looks similar).

Its like you aren't even buying the pre-order, its more like putting a reservation in at the store (only they reserve your card # instead of actually charging you $5). You are really just telling them that you will be buying it at the store.

Thanks for the responses about the preordering bonuses. I guess if push came to shove, I'd just call and complain :cool:

[quote name='bigwightdog']You can't use special coupons either (in my experience, like 25OFF) if you do in store pickup. I was very confused about this at first, but essentially in-store is totally different from the rest of ordering online (though it looks similar).

Its like you aren't even buying the pre-order, its more like putting a reservation in at the store (only they reserve your card # instead of actually charging you $5). You are really just telling them that you will be buying it at the store.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Gamestop On-line is sometimes like a different store than Gamestop in the "real world". I went to GS the other day to take advantage of the trade in a game for $25 off a new game. I got Borderlands, but was kind of bumed because it was $45 in the store, whereas I had just looked up on-line for $39.99. I told the guy as I was checking out and he just told me that they do things differetly.

bread's done
Back