Purchasing a Videogame store: What would make you want to come to my place?

1. They do have instore gift cards and corp is working universal giftcards that you can take from one store to another. When that happens we can just transfer your balance to that card.

2. They will not be online unless for a special reason. Xbox Live would not typically be plugged in because of certain online issues with content. We can adjust the settings so if someone wants to try mutliplayer, we can do that. For tournements they are online.

We have gotten the paperwork done and shipped off. Hopefully we get an approval on the site. From that point it will be working on getting a lease done. There are other stores that do want to move in there, so it is sort of a race to see who gets the spot.

We are supposedly one of the most favorable to the landlord because we might use the space basically as is. There is a potential that we might be able to be open by the holiday season to, which would be great.

So far this is the furthest along on the process we have been and it is great. I am hoping that we get approved and a lease made up and with little problems. I do really love the location and the possibilities are great in even offering more products due to the larger space. We might carry dvds, ipod accessories and I would like to do collectibles such as action figures, t-shirts and other items.

When i mentioned giving out the wii points cards free when someone buys 5 or more USED wii games, i didnt mean it as a way to try to get people to buy wii points cards, but to buy more used games. Stores make a LOT of money selling assessories(memory sticks, extra controller, carry case, etc) the markup on the assessories is ridiculous, and i assume the same thing holds true for wii points cards. If that isnt the case, you can offer up some other free shit to people who buy 5 or more used games.

[quote name='bingbangboom']We have gotten the paperwork done and shipped off. Hopefully we get an approval on the site. From that point it will be working on getting a lease done. There are other stores that do want to move in there, so it is sort of a race to see who gets the spot.[/quote]

yeah a good location is key(obviously). Hopefully that comes through. As for the downsides, i wasnt trying to be only negative, just making suggestions. For instance, i dont know how good a NES or SNES will look in hi def. Then again, i dont even know how to install component cables to a NES/SNES/genny. I imagince it can be done, but the point is i dont know how good 8 bit graphic would look in Hi def.

I would suggest having an arcade cab (or 2 or 3) set up since you have so much room. Arcades are a dying breed and as such it is easy to pick up a cab on the cheap. Arcade auctions, craigslist and ebay are all excellent ways to get arcade cabinets on the cheap.

Then again, probably no one will use those since if you have 7 or 8 tvs set up for people to use to play games free, you have essentiall created a free arcade, why would anyone pay 25 cents to pay for an arcade machine?

Not trying to be negative, but i would suggest getting a standard tv(composite not high def) for the 8 bit and 16 bit systems if you really insist on having old school systems set up with the tvs. You can still get a nice tv, like a trinitron, that is what i use for the NES/SNES/GENNY and it looks fantastic.

We might carry dvds, ipod accessories and I would like to do collectibles such as action figures, t-shirts and other items.

I would suggest having hd dvds and blue ray but not vhs or dvds. There is a reason why GS/EB are phasing out their dvd sections.

Or maybe just take in only anime dvds, they seem to sell for more money. Right now it is a buyers market for DVDs, it is very easy to buy new dvds for under $5 or under $4 new(check the bb, cc, frys weekly ads). So if you are going to try to sell dvds for more than $5, they will pile up pretty quick. Gamestop and EB stores are overflowing with shitty dvds, and they have some sick deals(3 dvds for $9.99 etc). But then again, if your test markets suggest otherwise, then go ahead. Tho like i said, having food in a gamestore sounds like it would be messy as hell.

the gamecrazy stores and gamerush stores have tournaments, especially on new release dates for big games(halo 3 etc), and it doesnt seem to help them much, gamerush is hemoraging money and gamecrazy is going out of business. Their contests were always free(at least in my area), if you are going to want to try to get people to pay $5 to get into the contest, you had better be offering up some nice prices(ps3 system, wii system, xbox 360 system etc) otherwise that will be a tough sell. But that is just my 2 cents

The EB store at universal studios citywalk in north hollywood is supposedly the most profitable store on the west coast, there is a shitload of walk up customers(it is next to the theme park). and they have the free tournaments with kickass prizes(next gen game systems, a skateboard signed by tony hawk, new release next gen videogames etc). But again, they are the most profitable EB store so they can afford the nice prizes. That makes the large crowds they draw even bigger. So i guess the tournaments can be done, but you are talking about having these contests monthly, and charging $5 to enter, and then having food, and it could be good, i guess try it and see.

As for the cases, i tried to make a color photocopy of capcom vs marvel 2 cover for the ps2, and the cashier refused because of the copywright on the back(the color machine was behind the counter) so i went to another store where the machine wasnt behind the counter. But your idea of taking in the disc only games for less sounds good.

As for what you call my negative ideas, well i was just responding to the question of "what would it take to bring your cheapass into my game store?"

[quote name='dracula']When i mentioned giving out the wii points cards free when someone buys 5 or more USED wii games, i didnt mean it as a way to try to get people to buy wii points cards, but to buy more used games. Stores make a LOT of money selling assessories(memory sticks, extra controller, carry case, etc) the markup on the assessories is ridiculous, and i assume the same thing holds true for wii points cards. If that isnt the case, you can offer up some other free shit to people who buy 5 or more used games.

yeah a good location is key(obviously). Hopefully that comes through. As for the downsides, i wasnt trying to be only negative, just making suggestions. For instance, i dont know how good a NES or SNES will look in hi def. Then again, i dont even know how to install component cables to a NES/SNES/genny. I imagince it can be done, but the point is i dont know how good 8 bit graphic would look in Hi def.

I would suggest having an arcade cab (or 2 or 3) set up since you have so much room. Arcades are a dying breed and as such it is easy to pick up a cab on the cheap. Arcade auctions, craigslist and ebay are all excellent ways to get arcade cabinets on the cheap.

Then again, probably no one will use those since if you have 7 or 8 tvs set up for people to use to play games free, you have essentiall created a free arcade, why would anyone pay 25 cents to pay for an arcade machine?

Not trying to be negative, but i would suggest getting a standard tv(composite not high def) for the 8 bit and 16 bit systems if you really insist on having old school systems set up with the tvs. You can still get a nice tv, like a trinitron, that is what i use for the NES/SNES/GENNY and it looks fantastic.

I would suggest having hd dvds and blue ray but not vhs or dvds. There is a reason why GS/EB are phasing out their dvd sections.

Or maybe just take in only anime dvds, they seem to sell for more money. Right now it is a buyers market for DVDs, it is very easy to buy new dvds for under $5 or under $4 new(check the bb, cc, frys weekly ads). So if you are going to try to sell dvds for more than $5, they will pile up pretty quick. Gamestop and EB stores are overflowing with shitty dvds, and they have some sick deals(3 dvds for $9.99 etc). But then again, if your test markets suggest otherwise, then go ahead. Tho like i said, having food in a gamestore sounds like it would be messy as hell.

the gamecrazy stores and gamerush stores have tournaments, especially on new release dates for big games(halo 3 etc), and it doesnt seem to help them much, gamerush is hemoraging money and gamecrazy is going out of business. Their contests were always free(at least in my area), if you are going to want to try to get people to pay $5 to get into the contest, you had better be offering up some nice prices(ps3 system, wii system, xbox 360 system etc) otherwise that will be a tough sell. But that is just my 2 cents

The EB store at universal studios citywalk in north hollywood is supposedly the most profitable store on the west coast, there is a shitload of walk up customers(it is next to the theme park). and they have the free tournaments with kickass prizes(next gen game systems, a skateboard signed by tony hawk, new release next gen videogames etc). But again, they are the most profitable EB store so they can afford the nice prizes. That makes the large crowds they draw even bigger. So i guess the tournaments can be done, but you are talking about having these contests monthly, and charging $5 to enter, and then having food, and it could be good, i guess try it and see.

As for the cases, i tried to make a color photocopy of capcom vs marvel 2 cover for the ps2, and the cashier refused because of the copywright on the back(the color machine was behind the counter) so i went to another store where the machine wasnt behind the counter. But your idea of taking in the disc only games for less sounds good.

As for what you call my negative ideas, well i was just responding to the question of "what would it take to bring your cheapass into my game store?"[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I understand just playing devil's advocate.

There is actually a large demand for those older games. Typically it might not be the majority, but the rare breed my actually buy 20 games. They do it at other stores and they do very well with it. Also it allows people to trade in old games. These might even be people that may have skipped last generation and are jumping from the PSOne to say an Xbox360.

I do think that having dvds adds to the selection and doesn't hurt if you have the space. You just offer a low low cost for these movies. Most people might be willing to give them up. In addition, sometimes a parent may be taking their kid and find a movie they want. I just don't think Gamestop really focuses on used movies and didn't market it that great. I would assume a place like Blockbuster might to great with used movies.

Tournaments I would offer top notch items depending on the turnout expected. I wouldn't so much use trade in credit as the top prize because its hard to like picture that as a prize verse say an Xbox 360 or a Wii System bundle. It is used to draw people in and the charge is just to make up some of the cost of running the tournament. Having sponsers for these also help. I understand your concerns with making the store messy and controllers but standard cleaning after the tournaments will be done.

Again this is not Gamestop and I am hoping in a few years we will see Play N Trade really expand into more of a force in the industry and I see that happening about the time when a new system will launch from the big three so when they go into say 1000 stores, people will take notice.

[quote name='bingbangboom']We have gotten the paperwork done and shipped off. Hopefully we get an approval on the site. From that point it will be working on getting a lease done. There are other stores that do want to move in there, so it is sort of a race to see who gets the spot.

We are supposedly one of the most favorable to the landlord because we might use the space basically as is. There is a potential that we might be able to be open by the holiday season to, which would be great.

So far this is the furthest along on the process we have been and it is great. I am hoping that we get approved and a lease made up and with little problems. I do really love the location and the possibilities are great in even offering more products due to the larger space. We might carry dvds, ipod accessories and I would like to do collectibles such as action figures, t-shirts and other items.[/QUOTE]

That was pretty fast getting all the paperwork done and shipped, I think. :applause:

Do you know any of your competition for the space or is that confidential info?
And how does it work if you get the space, do you have to move in right away or is there other paperwork you have to do?

Well, either way, if you do get the space, PM me and I'll help you move stuff in. Got nothing to do this fall/winter except classes, helping my brother in law with his business on weekends, and the ocassional poker game/party. And, of course, Flyers games.

[quote name='Flyersfan']That was pretty fast getting all the paperwork done and shipped, I think. :applause:

Do you know any of your competition for the space or is that confidential info?
And how does it work if you get the space, do you have to move in right away or is there other paperwork you have to do?

Well, either way, if you do get the space, PM me and I'll help you move stuff in. Got nothing to do this fall/winter except classes, helping my brother in law with his business on weekends, and the ocassional poker game/party. And, of course, Flyers games.[/QUOTE]

Well right now there are 3 other companies looking to move into this spot...

- A wireless store: The landlord is not exactly favorable with wireless stores considering that it used to be a Nextel store. Basically after it was built, after a year, corp came in and said that this store could not be here because there was a Sprint store already established in the plaza near by. They are also on the west coast and progress has been very slow.

- Saladworks: The landlord wouldn't prefer this mainly because everything would have to be gutted and coded for a restuarant. Would mean that it might be another 6 months before they are up and running. We could use the current build of the store.

- Nail Salon: They don't exactly see the nail salon fitting in with the tenents because it just seems sort of odd.

They do like our concept and the fact that it is clean. Again, it is a pretty large space but looks great and you just get the feeling that it would work.

When we are up and running I will have an application for you to fill out and we can work on it from there.

[quote name='bingbangboom']Well right now there are 3 other companies looking to move into this spot...

- A wireless store: The landlord is not exactly favorable with wireless stores considering that it used to be a Nextel store. Basically after it was built, after a year, corp came in and said that this store could not be here because there was a Sprint store already established in the plaza near by. They are also on the west coast and progress has been very slow.

- Saladworks: The landlord wouldn't prefer this mainly because everything would have to be gutted and coded for a restuarant. Would mean that it might be another 6 months before they are up and running. We could use the current build of the store.

- Nail Salon: They don't exactly see the nail salon fitting in with the tenents because it just seems sort of odd.

They do like our concept and the fact that it is clean. Again, it is a pretty large space but looks great and you just get the feeling that it would work.

When we are up and running I will have an application for you to fill out and we can work on it from there.[/QUOTE]

Ok, sorry for pestering about the job ;)

Sounds like you'll get that spot, I really hope you do. It would be great to have somewhere else to go for a video game store besides gamestop around here. The only other thing I remember was that Funcoland that used to be up, place was cool. Loved it when I was young. I read all these posts about Gamecrazy, Gamerush, Rhino Games, etc. and we have none of that. Unless one JUST recently moved into the area that I'm unaware of.

You might have answered this question, but do you do your "play before you pay" thing with new games? Will you have a designated copy of a game to do this with or something? I personally could give two shits about wheter or not my copy of the game was "gutted" as some people here have posted Gamestop does, but I know some people do.

Dunno if it's been asked, but any chance of being able to do online orders? One of main problems with the type of store you'll be running is that it's not exactly open to people who aren't in the state or area. Great idea and all, and I hope you do well, but it'd be kinda lousy for those of us not in the area to hear about a great store we have no access to. :p

[quote name='Tsukento']Dunno if it's been asked, but any chance of being able to do online orders? One of main problems with the type of store you'll be running is that it's not exactly open to people who aren't in the state or area. Great idea and all, and I hope you do well, but it'd be kinda lousy for those of us not in the area to hear about a great store we have no access to. :p[/quote]

The problem with that is that anything good he gets in the store would be purchased online.

Sorry, can't do online ordering currently. It might be something that opens up down the road. Right now it is a in-store experience. I don't exactly know how well it would do to do it online. You would eat the cost on shipping and there is no real customer service with that.

They currently have over 70 stores open, if you go to www.playntrade.com you can use the store locater to find one closer to you. It is possible that I might do a CAG member discount, possibly offering the 10-10-10 program for half the price. Again for instore only.

You don't really have games set aside, so while it might make some people mad that a game may have been played inside a console before hand, there will be much more of the general public that would benefit from it. Most of the time you will have a customer buy that copy they wanted to try out.

Also typically you would want to put a used copy into the demo stations... so like when a game comes out, you may throw it in as a request but not right away but that would depend. Halo 3 launch you might want to do that. I know they are talking about doing a Halo 2 tournament the night Halo 3 comes out and sell it at Midnight.

But the more and more PNT's open and are sucessful you will see them start showing up all around. I mean some of the locations are weird, like supposedly the store in Guam does very well. But hey if you are interested in opening one yourself, just private message me. I can get you in touch with some people and what to do.

Yeah, again they are springing up and the newer ones are looking better and better. Like one thing happened with Dell, the provider of the tvs... they ran out of the 22" tvs. So, we bascially forced made them reconsider and got the upgraded 27" tvs for the same price. Hope the store down there is great.

I contacted a designer and actually owner of a website called Nintendo Life. I liked the layout with a few changes think that it might be a right fit for what I want. Check it out... www.nintendolife.com

What things would you like for my website? I can't sell games through it though.

[quote name='bingbangboom']I contacted a designer and actually owner of a website called Nintendo Life. I liked the layout with a few changes think that it might be a right fit for what I want. Check it out... www.nintendolife.com

What things would you like for my website? I can't sell games through it though.[/quote]
That's an awesome move to contact the guys at Nintendo Life for a website. I've written about their website on my blog once, and it was one of the VERY few video game-related websites that actually uses modern web tech. and a pleasing design aesthetic. I vaguely recall someone from there contacting me after my blog post, and he seemed like a nice enough gent (not sure if he was a designer, editor, or what though). Good luck getting them recruited.

As for what your website should have, I don't really have the slightest idea. EB Games Canada's website also doesn't have an online shop, but it does a decent job of getting info out there (www.ebgames.ca).

The biggest problem with EB Games Canada's website though is they update it roughly once a month, if even that. If you are going to be putting one up, don't skimp on updates. That's pretty much a DUH for any content-based website, but figured I just throw it out there.

[quote name='mrelusive']That's an awesome move to contact the guys at Nintendo Life for a website. I've written about their website on my blog once, and it was one of the VERY few video game-related websites that actually uses modern web tech. and a pleasing design aesthetic. I vaguely recall someone from there contacting me after my blog post, and he seemed like a nice enough gent (not sure if he was a designer, editor, or what though). Good luck getting them recruited.

As for what your website should have, I don't really have the slightest idea. EB Games Canada's website also doesn't have an online shop, but it does a decent job of getting info out there (www.ebgames.ca).

The biggest problem with EB Games Canada's website though is they update it roughly once a month, if even that. If you are going to be putting one up, don't skimp on updates. That's pretty much a DUH for any content-based website, but figured I just throw it out there.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I randomly stumbled on it. Apperently he is the designer and owner. Here are a few things I have in my notes that I would like to have.

Blog - Basically an area to talk about the industry, news and whatever I want. I know its not going to be the main reason people come to the site. I am not trying to make Joystiq or Kotaku, but a way to keep people informed.

Events - Splash page image and a section that talks about upcoming events such as tournaments. I even had an idea about letting someone rent the space for a party. Don't know how much that would cost, but might be profitable and it is another thing the competition doesn't offer.

Specials - Advertising current instore specials and even exclusive website coupons. Used to generate traffic to the site and back.

Services - Disc and system repair

Flipswap - The ability to trade in old phones for credit.

10.10.10 - Explaining the membership program. I was thinking of even asking tennents near by if they would like to offer anything extra such as coupons to say Applebees or Starbucks for these members. Used as an cross advertising tool.

Games for Grades - Report card program that gives kids a bonus for their good grades and gives back a percentage to the school.

Store Locator - Standard google maps so people can find us.

Contact Us - Email, phone, mail, fax, just various ways for them to contact us about the store or site.

ESRB - Explaining the ratings to parents.

Photos - Of the store and events, could even be something simple like Flickr.

Top Ten & Upcoming Releases - Just showing what is selling very well and what is coming out in the near future.

Forums - They do have forums managed by the PNT Corp, but this would be for this store only. Not alot of people use those forums anyway.

Myspace, Facebook, etc - Just various websites to connect with us.

I was even thinking about the possiblity of adding a webcam that just shows what the store looks like at that current time. I have been seeing these live feeds and not sure how hard that would be but, might be interesting.

Blog - Basically an area to talk about the industry, news and whatever I want. I know its not going to be the main reason people come to the site. I am not trying to make Joystiq or Kotaku, but a way to keep people informed.

Yeah, this could be a great idea. You can set up an RSS feed for when you aren't around to update it, it'll get updated with whatever sites you select.

Top Ten & Upcoming Releases - Just showing what is selling very well and what is coming out in the near future.

Going along with this, can you put up certain websites ratings for a game on the shelf where the game is? When you go into gamestop, for example, certain games have a rating below them. Im pretty sure that you can just type in Big letters in Microsoft Word the site's name, and score, maybe take a quote from it as well. So, write down the sites name and review score of that certain game. Could bring in some more sales for people that don't actually follow or know the scores to games. I know myself, I'm not real big on the movie scene, but if I go and see that something is getting 3.5-5 stars, I'll definitely want to check it out. Top 10 sales will bring in some more people who are inclined to see what the game is about, but it's not a big deciding factor for some. I'll never buy a Pokemon type game or an RPG, they just aren't my type of game, but I know they'll be in the top 10 and some point. Now, if it's getting 9.5 and above, MAYBE i would check it out.

Forums - They do have forums managed by the PNT Corp, but this would be for this store only. Not alot of people use those forums anyway.

This could be really good if it gets active. Maybe you could set up a forum contest or something, top posts for the month get a certain percent off used games coupon.

Everything else looks good, just felt like commenting on those certain ones.

I'd probably wait a bit before you set up a forum. A regular website + blog already seems like a good enough package at the start.

Well the forums will be a way to help generate interest for say tournaments. Deciding on which tournament to do and when. Giving updates and that kind of stuff and to comunicate with customers.

[quote name='P.I.Staker']Im confused, if you havent moved in yet then are those pictures on page 1 of another play and trade.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is of another Play N Trade store. It will look very similar. They change depending on the location but all have the same theme. If I get the location I want, it will be almost double the size of most PNT stores and that will make it seem different. Also I will have larger screens for the consoles.

I got a rough quote and it was "£3K " which if i used the right converter translates to around $6,000 which is well above my price range. I was hoping maybe a couple hundred and especially with a gaming site I could send them games every now and then for helping me out. So, still looking for a website designer :/

I'm out of the loop in terms of gaming...I only use my Gamecube, so you're talking to a casual gamer here at best. In fact, I wouldn't even call myself a gamer at all, more of someone who just wants to pick up a game from time to time and play for fun, so I represent a contrasting demographic from who you're talking to now on this board.

This makes me not qualified really to offer up many suggestions for your store. But if I could offer up one thing, it'd be a knowledgable and friendly staff. In the first four pages of this thread, the idea of hot females as cashiers were brought up. I mean, let's be realistic here, not going to happen, period. If i'm gonna go to a store other than EB for any reason, it's gonna be because of the personable attitude of the people working there. They know me by name, my tastes in games, etc. They're nice, greet you, etc. If you don't have that and you have vindictive teenagers at the counter who turn a cold shoulder, your place doesn't stand a chance. That's the first thing I notice about any store I visit for that matter, and those I'm treated well at, I usually hope to repay with a purchase. That's just me.

Sorry I can't help you more, but I visit an EB or GS once every five months or so, give or take. Many happy returns with your store, and Good Luck. Keep keeping us posted...I know it'll be a success.

[quote name='bingbangboom']I got a rough quote and it was "£3K " which if i used the right converter translates to around $6,000 which is well above my price range. I was hoping maybe a couple hundred and especially with a gaming site I could send them games every now and then for helping me out. So, still looking for a website designer :/[/QUOTE]

I found something that you may be interested in, found it during my "daily weekday before class after midnight borefest Internet browsing" time. Figured I'd try to help find a designer.

Edit* Image was bigger than i thought (and pretty damn bright at 1 AM) so I put a spoiler thing around it.

gameroll3.jpg

The design caught my eye when I typed something into google (don't even remember what the hell I typed anymore, something like "video game website design"). Has the top games on the side that could be updated with the stores top 10 in your design. Looks like it has a search games area that could, again hopefully in your design, be linked with your stores inventory some way (no idea how that would work, don't really know how websites even work for that matter, I'm not a real big computer knowledge guy. I do know they have to be designed and coded ;)). Maybe I'll go back to my old job at Acme and see how they use that inventory scanner. Ha.

At the very least, it looks like the designer of that site and you could clash ideas with each other if you want to contact him. I know you probably have a rough outline of what you want the site to look like anyway.

So, after finding that, I found the designers website if you want to contact him.

http://www.gameroll.com/joshsadler/index.php

Hope that helped with anything. If you do end up getting in contact with him, I hope he doesn't charge 6,000. lol. Also looks like he runs that gameroll website so maybe you could try to offer him games for helping you out.

[quote name='Flyersfan']I found something that you may be interested in, found it during my "daily weekday before class after midnight borefest Internet browsing" time. Figured I'd try to help find a designer.

Edit* Image was bigger than i thought (and pretty damn bright at 1 AM) so I put a spoiler thing around it.

gameroll3.jpg

The design caught my eye when I typed something into google (don't even remember what the hell I typed anymore, something like "video game website design"). Has the top games on the side that could be updated with the stores top 10 in your design. Looks like it has a search games area that could, again hopefully in your design, be linked with your stores inventory some way (no idea how that would work, don't really know how websites even work for that matter, I'm not a real big computer knowledge guy. I do know they have to be designed and coded ;)). Maybe I'll go back to my old job at Acme and see how they use that inventory scanner. Ha.

At the very least, it looks like the designer of that site and you could clash ideas with each other if you want to contact him. I know you probably have a rough outline of what you want the site to look like anyway.

So, after finding that, I found the designers website if you want to contact him.

http://www.gameroll.com/joshsadler/index.php

Hope that helped with anything. If you do end up getting in contact with him, I hope he doesn't charge 6,000. lol. Also looks like he runs that gameroll website so maybe you could try to offer him games for helping you out.[/QUOTE]

Thanks alot, hopefully we can work something out. Thats why I would like to get the site done before opening of the store. These things take time and I really want it as a way to explain what Play N Trade is.

[quote name='bingbangboom']Thanks alot, hopefully we can work something out. Thats why I would like to get the site done before opening of the store. These things take time and I really want it as a way to explain what Play N Trade is.[/QUOTE]

I got a reply and the pricing was much better. I still have to wait till we get the loan before we do this so that means waiting till we sign the lease. We will hear something by Monday, I am hoping sooner though. Thanks for the heads up.

[quote name='bingbangboom']I got a rough quote and it was "£3K " which if i used the right converter translates to around $6,000 which is well above my price range. I was hoping maybe a couple hundred and especially with a gaming site I could send them games every now and then for helping me out. So, still looking for a website designer :/[/QUOTE]

A couple hundred is unrealistic for a good site, especially a site that has ANY functionality at all. Even at an incredibly lowball price of $10/hour (and you get what you pay for), that's only 20 hours, and even a totally static web site (i.e. just text and images, no back end) takes more than 3 days (figuring 8 working hours/day).

If you want a decent site be prepared to pay thousands of dollars.

[quote name='Backlash']A couple hundred is unrealistic for a good site, especially a site that has ANY functionality at all. Even at an incredibly lowball price of $10/hour (and you get what you pay for), that's only 20 hours, and even a totally static web site (i.e. just text and images, no back end) takes more than 3 days (figuring 8 working hours/day).

If you want a decent site be prepared to pay thousands of dollars.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I understand. I am just under a budget for this and down the line I will be able to go all out for a redesign.

Cool. It's almost better to have no site than a very unprofessional one. If you don't have the budget for dynamic content (and forums, blogs, etc), then I'd suggest just having a static (aka brochure-ware) site with the following:

Home page - should clearly communicate what your store is and have one good pic

Contact page - phone number, email address, store hours (probably also listed elsewhere), and mailing address which is linked to...

Locate Us page - Google map image that links to Google maps for your address (also show store hours here?)

Also some information that shows the types of products you carry and services you offer without trying to list any particular current stock.

That at least gives the basic info without trying to do too much and failing. And that should be relatively inexpensive.

[quote name='Backlash']Cool. It's almost better to have no site than a very unprofessional one. If you don't have the budget for dynamic content (and forums, blogs, etc), then I'd suggest just having a static (aka brochure-ware) site with the following:

Home page - should clearly communicate what your store is and have one good pic

Contact page - phone number, email address, store hours (probably also listed elsewhere), and mailing address which is linked to...

Locate Us page - Google map image that links to Google maps for your address (also show store hours here?)

Also some information that shows the types of products you carry and services you offer without trying to list any particular current stock.

That at least gives the basic info without trying to do too much and failing. And that should be relatively inexpensive.[/QUOTE]

There is a basic page like that currently. It is possible that I might be able to use the website as part of my advertising budget. I do have a lower price quote than the $6,000. It is possible that I might just use a blog template for it but I think I will work something out with the person I am currently working with.

Was looking a possibly a template such as these...

http://www.joomlashack.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=156&Itemid=31

But we will see. Again, I don't know how much I will need up front. I am awaiting ti hear back from someone about his ideas. It is possible that I might need a few people to work on the site too. Providing it with content that I might not be able to do. So if I email something over, they can update it.

I kinda liked this one...

http://demotemplates.joomlashack.com/element/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

[quote name='bingbangboom']Well the forums will be a way to help generate interest for say tournaments. Deciding on which tournament to do and when. Giving updates and that kind of stuff and to comunicate with customers.[/QUOTE]
I think you can pretty much do that with just a blog alone (make a Tournaments category, get a polls plugin, allow comments, etc.). Though you're right that a forum will help with communicating with customers.

[quote name='mrelusive']I think you can pretty much do that with just a blog alone (make a Tournaments category, get a polls plugin, allow comments, etc.). Though you're right that a forum will help with communicating with customers.[/QUOTE]

Yeah and not just communicated with me, but each other. Talk about what games they may have got or if they like the store. Hopefully keep bitching to a minimum lol

It would be cool if someday you were able to preorder a game through your website, I know I have about 5 games I want to get right when they come out between now and the end of the year, popular ones like Rock Band, Guitar Hero 3, Halo 3. Would be a real time saver, and the records wouldn't be lost, because as of now, I have no idea where my preorder reciept for Halo 3 is from Gamestop. I don't have one of their membership cards so I have no idea how this works, I guess I show them some ID. I Rarely ever shop there, in fact, thats the first time I ever preorded a game. I even feel like going back and cancelling the preorder and getting the deposit I put down on it back.

About how much bigger is this space as compared to the EBX (i think they changed their name to Gamestop now, not sure) in the Mall? Becuase I really, really hate that store because of its size, I probably already mentioned that but it's basically a glorified closet in there. You can't even look for a game on the shelve without moving out of the way for someone. If its twice the space as those first pictures you posted, than it would seem like a huge difference.

I still think the rent out idea is one of the best ones I've seen in this thread. Renting out the space for a party could really bring in some bucks. There just doesn't seem to be a universal time when people don't shop.

Buy a shrink wrap machine. Then when you get used games in, store the disc in a safe place and display the case with shrink wrap over it so then you can go sticker happy. Those stickers you have to peel off at Gamestop and EBgames makes me go apeshit.

Hey Guys,

It's Anthony from NintendoLife.com here :) thanks for all your kind words about the website! It's always nice to get some positive feedback once in a while, it almost ofsets all the hard work that goes into running the site ;)

I remember seeing the post on ESWAT earlier this year - mrelusive might be interested in the "refined" design i've added recently.

The site is basically my "hobby" site that I run whilst working at Cuttlefish.com - so it gives me a place to test out new ideas and run things how I want (ie no client bugging me for changes!) - I'm actually responable for the entire site, backend coding, design and content; although I do have lots of friends that help with reviews.

Sadly for you guys the currency conversion rates at the moment are really, really high between $ and £ which makes us really really expensive for overseas work.

We're actually pulling quite a few larger clients at the moment, so finding it harder and harder to take on smaller indie jobs.. :(

Anyway, thanks again for your interest in our services.. hopefully you'll find someone out there that can do a good job for you!

Good luck!

[quote name='antdickens']Hey Guys,

It's Anthony from NintendoLife.com here :) thanks for all your kind words about the website! It's always nice to get some positive feedback once in a while, it almost ofsets all the hard work that goes into running the site ;)

I remember seeing the post on ESWAT earlier this year - mrelusive might be interested in the "refined" design i've added recently.

The site is basically my "hobby" site that I run whilst working at Cuttlefish.com - so it gives me a place to test out new ideas and run things how I want (ie no client bugging me for changes!) - I'm actually responable for the entire site, backend coding, design and content; although I do have lots of friends that help with reviews.

Sadly for you guys the currency conversion rates at the moment are really, really high between $ and £ which makes us really really expensive for overseas work.

We're actually pulling quite a few larger clients at the moment, so finding it harder and harder to take on smaller indie jobs.. :(

Anyway, thanks again for your interest in our services.. hopefully you'll find someone out there that can do a good job for you!

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Yeah thanks again, I really do like your site and maybe down the road we can afford your services and upgrade what we will have. Might have the webtraffic to support it also.

As far as ordering through the website, can't do that yet. The PNT site does have the ability for you to check inventory for a store, just not prices.

Also you do have a membership system, so you can pre-order a game and it will be on your record. Has all your purchases and if you are a member of the 10,10,10 program. Right now they are working on a way if you would like to add to your deposit for a reserved game. Currently it is just the $5 down but I beleive that can be changed to a higher number and that credit just added to the final purchase.

[quote name='thorbahn3']Buy a shrink wrap machine. Then when you get used games in, store the disc in a safe place and display the case with shrink wrap over it so then you can go sticker happy. Those stickers you have to peel off at Gamestop and EBgames makes me go apeshit.[/QUOTE]
Although I agree that using shrink-wrap is an effective way to protect the case from layers of stickers, it annoys me to no end when I want to purchase a game but I can't see if it has all of its pieces. I may be speaking for a minority here, but I find it important when buying used games to have a game disc, a case without major scratches/missing tabs, and a manual in good condition. Ranting aside, good luck on the store.

[quote name='dditto74']Although I agree that using shrink-wrap is an effective way to protect the case from layers of stickers, it annoys me to no end when I want to purchase a game but I can't see if it has all of its pieces. I may be speaking for a minority here, but I find it important when buying used games to have a game disc, a case without major scratches/missing tabs, and a manual in good condition. Ranting aside, good luck on the store.[/QUOTE]

Having a fully used game is important, but sometimes you can get that used game that is just the disc for alot cheaper and you can offer that to the customer. But trust me I understand. As far as a shrinkwrap machine, I don't really think so right now because it adds too much time and cost. Sorry, but nice call. I won't put stickers all over the stuff, just the price. I know gamestop has been known to advertise specials on the box with a sticker.

[quote name='Codeine']So.... have you started your Play N' Trade store yet?

Best of luck, by the way. =)[/QUOTE]

No, right now we are in the location phase. It is actually one of the hardest parts because you are depending on so many people. I think I have actually lost about a month and a half on just waiting for someone to help me. I have learned that you really have to step it up and that there are people out there that want to help you, you just have to find them.

I am hoping to hear something either today or monday on the site. I plan to open by the end of the year but we will see about that.

I was in Maryland today visiting some friends before Delawares game tonight, and I just happened to see a Play N Trade on the way down there, not sure where it was though. Of course, I went to go check it out. Don't know what city it was in, but it was a nice place. Had signs up all over the place about how they buy trade in games, pre-ordering, price matching, etc. Apparantly I got there just when they opened (I got there around 11:15, sign said they open at 11). They had a freezer with Monster drinks in it. I'm pretty sure I saw that, maybe it was my hour's worth of sleep telling me that I saw it. Either that, or I saw a Monster ad on the wall somewhere.

Apparantly some Gears of War tournament was going to happen sometime in the store, didn't really catch what it was about or what prize you win.

Are you going to have price matching set up, or is that a store by store decision? Have you thought about your store hours at all? I'm guessing the standard for a store like this would be around 10-11 AM until around 8-9 PM.

[quote name='Flyersfan']I was in Maryland today visiting some friends before Delawares game tonight, and I just happened to see a Play N Trade on the way down there, not sure where it was though. Of course, I went to go check it out. Don't know what city it was in, but it was a nice place. Had signs up all over the place about how they buy trade in games, pre-ordering, price matching, etc. Apparantly I got there just when they opened (I got there around 11:15, sign said they open at 11). They had a freezer with Monster drinks in it. I'm pretty sure I saw that, maybe it was my hour's worth of sleep telling me that I saw it. Either that, or I saw a Monster ad on the wall somewhere.

Apparantly some Gears of War tournament was going to happen sometime in the store, didn't really catch what it was about or what prize you win.

Are you going to have price matching set up, or is that a store by store decision? Have you thought about your store hours at all? I'm guessing the standard for a store like this would be around 10-11 AM until around 8-9 PM.[/QUOTE]

I havn't seen a store in Maryland yet. I know there are a couple. They are currently working out a deal with Monster to provide coolers and drinks, right now it is sorta in "beta" testing.

There is a Gears of War tournament starting tomorrow, well today. Problem is that you need four people and the prize, for the national is seems pretty large, but the fact that you need four people put a restriction on alot of gamers that don't have 3 other local friends that they play the game with. They mainly play online.

Price matching and store hours are up to store owners. Typically it is a instance by instance policy, thats why it says "regular priced items". For me, I would match a price if it was a competitor, so no BJ's or Costco. Also you would have to have the actual advertisement. Would not match websites because we are not competing with those. I would prob only match "priced" deals and not buy 1 get 1 free or something like that. Mainly because it is too loose. Especially because these are for new games where you really don't make much money and could be loosing money.

Also as far as store hours they would be inline with the competition possibly open a half hour later just as a customer service issue. Longer during the holidays and Friday and Saturday.

Dude, I’m bummed. :drool: My Play n Trade on Trop (sorry, Tropicana Ave, Las Vegas) closed. They couldn’t handle the competition from Fry’s and GameStop, etc. I feel bad for the store owner – he was a nice guy and tried hard. Apparently store owners don’t make enough profit but can’t let it get out or the chain’ll be killed in the press and then corporate will kill them.

BTW – The closest couple of GS stores did start circulating 50% extra credit on traded-in games (I even took advantage of that one) and I think $5 off new games – pretty tough for the “little guy” to compete with.

[quote name='pfar99']Dude, I’m bummed. :drool: My Play n Trade on Trop (sorry, Tropicana Ave, Las Vegas) closed. They couldn’t handle the competition from Fry’s and GameStop, etc. I feel bad for the store owner – he was a nice guy and tried hard. Apparently store owners don’t make enough profit but can’t let it get out or the chain’ll be killed in the press and then corporate will kill them.

BTW – The closest couple of GS stores did start circulating 50% extra credit on traded-in games (I even took advantage of that one) and I think $5 off new games – pretty tough for the “little guy” to compete with. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, I mean with any franchise you do get a few that do not succeed and sometimes it is out of the owner's control. As far as Gamestop trying to compete with pricing, that is one thing which means you have to offer the best possible customer service. Eventually if you stick through it though you will be successful. Gamestop has the leverage to adjust pricing but that is not always the key component.

Did you hear anything on Monday about the site?

Something that may bring me, or any customer, coming back that I haven't really seen mentioned in this thread is a referral system. If you set one up a few months after you open for your 10/10/10 members. Basically if you get someone who wants to sign up for it, and they were referred by another 10/10/10 member, maybe you can give them 20% (an extra 10%) on trade ins for a set number of referrals. Something like that could work good, just have to figure out a way to do it, if it's at all possible.

Yeah, I finally heard something back today.

Basically it is currently in limbo, with no rejection. The person in charge has decided to look into it more and requires more information. He feels the store is larger than what I need and the rent is higher than expected. Our best shot is to have someone remeasure the location to actual square footage. That way we will be able to know what my rent would actually be.

I am hoping it is smaller and we can get approved and get moving.

[quote name='bingbangboom']I will be getting my own self-owned videogame store later this year. It competes against Gamestop, EB Games and various other stores. They do have a certain ideas to attract gamers like monthly tournaments and allowing you to try a game before you buy policy.

What are some of your other ideas and things you hate about the other guys? Would take all ideas and input. I have my own ideas like possibly free silly tournaments like "Worst Game Ever" or "NES Classic" like a duck hunt tournament. Maybe a Virtual Console tournament.

SO, whatcha think?[/quote]

I may be alone in this, but I have always wanted to attend a weekly videogame club. You could still have tournaments and w/e, but it would be cool if you could just play recently released games for fun, or maybe even rip off Kotaku and assign games and then discuss them weekly (you could even give out little punch cards, and for attending a certain amount of club meetings you could get money off a game in the store).

You could try to stock unique and classic games in order to be the store people go to when they are looking for Earthbound or Super Mario RPG. Importing would be possible as well I guess!

I big advantage you could have over Gamestop/EB is that you could actually respect the consumer, and not view them as a RTS resource. Don't push so hard on the pre-orders and employ people who love games and have a great deal of knowledge about them. Allow your employees more freedom than the GS/EB guys.

...that's all I got for now...

[quote name='Variable Gear']I may be alone in this, but I have always wanted to attend a weekly videogame club. You could still have tournaments and w/e, but it would be cool if you could just play recently released games for fun, or maybe even rip off Kotaku and assign games and then discuss them weekly (you could even give out little punch cards, and for attending a certain amount of club meetings you could get money off a game in the store).

You could try to stock unique and classic games in order to be the store people go to when they are looking for Earthbound or Super Mario RPG. Importing would be possible as well I guess!

I big advantage you could have over Gamestop/EB is that you could actually respect the consumer, and not view them as a RTS resource. Don't push so hard on the pre-orders and employ people who love games and have a great deal of knowledge about them. Allow your employees more freedom than the GS/EB guys.

...that's all I got for now...[/QUOTE]

Do you mean possibly a Game of the Month Club similar to a Book of the Month Club?

It is possible maybe on classic games or games that might be cheaper now. Problem with that is well, with a book you don't need something to read it besides a basic education and eyes... for videogames you need a console. It is possible to do this for like backwards compatible game or a game on multiple systems. See if I can get them in bulk and offer them at a discount.

Maybe like a game like Beyond Good and Evil.

bread's done
Back