PyroGamer's Xbox 360 GotY Awards

I think everybody here seems to be nitpicking with Bioshock. We're talking Pyro's Game of the Year awards, not the Best Story in a Game Ever award. Although Bioshock has a strong story, it's by no means perfect.

Can we stop splitting hairs?

I would personally disagree with CoD4 as GoTY. For me GoTY would be Bioshock. The game just looks to good to be true at times and runs so smoothly. Plus when you look at all the hidden ares to find and all the achievements to unlock the game has more replay value than CoD4 with its super short campane mode. Granted the online multiplayer mode is sweet but if that was the case I would have rather then do with out the single player experience and have them concentrate on just online mode. Bioshock just has style and charisma. It pulls you in to a new world that once your are done you want more. Again I am not saying CoD4 is a bad game its a great game when compared to the previous CoDs. But Bioshock just has more of those WOW moments that you tend to remember when the day is done.

"Multiplayer
Team Fortress 2"

Very fun, but compared to the multiplayer action in halo 3, it dosent compare. especially with the lag problems at launch. Very well put together pyro. Respect.

[quote name='RudyPants']I think everybody here seems to be nitpicking with Bioshock. We're talking Pyro's Game of the Year awards, not the Best Story in a Game Ever award. Although Bioshock has a strong story, it's by no means perfect.

Can we stop splitting hairs?[/QUOTE]

Not best game story ever, best game story this year, and I'm just stating I disagree.

And yes, these may be his awards, but I'm assuming he posted them to spur GOTY discussion. This being a forum and not a blog, afterall.

[quote name='jay1981']You forgot best Drug GOTY

[/quote]

That would Be Bioshock.

You inject yourself with a giant needle every 30 seconds or so...Someone has a problem.

[quote name='joe2187']That would Be Bioshock.

You inject yourself with a giant needle every 30 seconds or so...Someone has a problem.[/QUOTE]

But you dont chase a dragon you cant catch.

[quote name='whiptcracker'] The more you think about Bioshock's story the more it falls apart. It was like the plot was designed by Rube Goldberg after smoking crack. Like the philosophy in the game, it's great on the surface but falls apart if you spend even a minute thinking about it.

But that's my opinion. Great atmosphere, great gameplay, stupid plot twist.[/QUOTE]
It's unfortunate, but you simply didn't get it. The plot was not worse off for being convoluted and twisted and contrived, it was BETTER. That was the whole point. That was what made it so appropriate for the rest of the game. It's really too bad you can't appreciate it, because it's brilliant. If you want to try, you can start by reading some of the classified documents from the CIA around that time. The convoluted assination plots and contrived plans make BioShock's plot look like a walk down to the corner store.

Your idea that a plot has to be completely predictable and can't be extraordinary or unlikely or at all complicated kind of worries me. Judging from why you apparently disliked bioshock, the stuff you DO like must be infinitely boring.

[quote name='joe2187']How do all of you feel about a Planned Sequal?[/QUOTE]
BioShock doesn't need a sequel. I want to see more creative, unique stuff from Levine and the 2K/Irrational team.

I say they go all Blade Runner and revive the System Shock series. Keep it dystopian, just make it a futuristic sci-fi instead of a 1940's sci-fi.

[quote name='PyroGamer']BioShock doesn't need a sequel. I want to see more creative, unique stuff from Levine and the 2K/Irrational team.

I say they go all Blade Runner and revive the System Shock series. Keep it dystopian, just make it a futuristic sci-fi instead of a 1940's sci-fi.[/quote]

Well, word is theyve already started on making the sequal already.

But As far as good news, it ends there if this rumor has any truth.

2K Boston is still recovering - a good chunk of the BioShock team did not want to work with Ken ever again, and 2K definitely understood the sentiment and let them set up a new studio so that they can make Bioshock 2, leaving Ken with Project X. A good chunk of the other senior 2K Boston people who were sick of Ken but didn't move to San Francisco ended up scattering to other AAA developers instead. In Quincy, they're essentially rebuilding a team from almost scratch again.

Do you have a link to anything that explains this hatred of Ken Levine? I've heard bits and pieces of it here and there, mostly just that people think he's a douche. I'd like to know a bit more, since it keeps coming up.

I wonder if he is too stubborn and just unable to give up creative control and be a team player. If he made bioshock though, I say fuck em, don't make him give up creative control, he did make the GOTY didn't he?

Its too bad he is a dick but he certainly is a talented dick (like Dirk Digglers').

[quote name='PyroGamer']Do you have a link to anything that explains this hatred of Ken Levine? I've heard bits and pieces of it here and there, mostly just that people think he's a douche. I'd like to know a bit more, since it keeps coming up.[/quote]

It first Popped Up here http://softrockhallelujah.blogspot.com/2007/11/distaster-your-irrational-behavior-is.html

and then it just spread to everywhere else.

http://www.destructoid.com/surfer-girl-promises-bioshock-2-new-team-to-work-on-it-people-sick-of-levine-56577.phtml

Also, you say Bioshock is a masterpiece BECAUSE its a convoluted mess?.....I can see that...Kinda Like "Chinatown"....And man did i love Chinatown....

"Forget it jake...Its rapture"

Hey someone should make a Chinatown Video game!

[quote name='PyroGamer']It's unfortunate, but you simply didn't get it. The plot was not worse off for being convoluted and twisted and contrived, it was BETTER. That was the whole point. That was what made it so appropriate for the rest of the game. It's really too bad you can't appreciate it, because it's brilliant. If you want to try, you can start by reading some of the classified documents from the CIA around that time. The convoluted assination plots and contrived plans make BioShock's plot look like a walk down to the corner store.

Your idea that a plot has to be completely predictable and can't be extraordinary or unlikely or at all complicated kind of worries me. Judging from why you apparently disliked bioshock, the stuff you DO like must be infinitely boring.

BioShock doesn't need a sequel. I want to see more creative, unique stuff from Levine and the 2K/Irrational team.

I say they go all Blade Runner and revive the System Shock series. Keep it dystopian, just make it a futuristic sci-fi instead of a 1940's sci-fi.[/QUOTE]

Wow. I think you are the one not getting it. Because Bioshock has possibly the stupidest assasination plot ever I must only like boring plots? That's a bit of a stretch. Hell, I love convoluted stuff, as long as it makes sense. Because you do not seem to be understanding what I'm saying let me try to clarify one more time:

In Bioshock their grand assasination plan relied on a clone to leave the facility, crash a plan into the ocean, make it back in the facility, survive through everything and get past Ryan's blockades. Considering they live in a giant fishbowl with guns and super-human powers and the guy planning the assasination had a lot of pull with the citizens and controled the crime, THIS WAS THE BEST PLAN?

I love convoluted stuff that actually makes sense. This however, is the sort of stuff that is in daytime soap operas and crappy sci-fi books.

Plus for a game trying to assualt Ayn Rand's ideals, they could've done a better job with the downfall of the society than just having the leader start randomly acting greedy.

Congrats. You like it and it's your favorite story of the year. I have no issue with that and certainly wouldn't try to make a personal attack by saying everything you like must then be pointlessly complicated crap. Our opinions differ. Since you posted your list on a message board I assumed that this was open to debate, however if you want to argue that those who don't agree with you are wrong and/or don't understand then why bother posting it at all?

[quote name='ThatDamnDave']NHL 95 is far superior to NHL 94. Granted, it wasn't feature in Swingers, but it's still much better.[/quote]

I always try to respect other people's opinions, but this statement is flat out wrong. ;)

95 is by far the worst hockey game of the 16 bit generation. I'll accept that '96 might be better than '94, or that it's at least open for debate, but I think you might be the first time I've ever seen someone say that '95 is better, let alone "far superior."

...you were playing it on the SNES, weren't you?:)

[quote name='crowbb']I really cannot put Eternal Sonata above Blue Dragon. I SHOULD like it. It is a beautiful game and the story is nothing if not unique, but it just bores me for some reason. I like the combat system, yet I groan everytime I get into a combat. I can't explain why really. The game just seems to be lacking that mysterious fun factor.[/quote]

Eternal Sonata seemed boring to you because it's a boring game. The atmosphere is consistently gorgeous, I'll give it that, but sewers and dungeons aren't supposed to be gorgeous or have jewel-encrusted bars.

Back when I was more into JRPGs, I could never wait until the next cut scene. I felt like I was playing to get to the next one. But Eternal Sonata's cuts were far too frequent and far too long. Unnecessarily long, as characters would often dive into some nonsensical, convoluted, self-reflective soliloquy that, while trying to appear profound, only drew frustrated groans from me.

It also bothered me that the characters couldn't put their arms to their sides.

[quote name='whiptcracker']
Plus for a game trying to assualt Ayn Rand's ideals, they could've done a better job with the downfall of the society than just having the leader start randomly acting greedy.

[/quote]

I'm only addressing this one point (the others seem pretty valid).
Andrew Ryan didn't start randomly acting greedy, he was always greedy. He just picked an ideal, absolute libertarianism, that justified his greed. Initially, he's the one who was profitting off of Rapture. But his ideals changed when Fontaine's endeavors started to affect Ryan directly.

[quote name='kevlar51']I always try to respect other people's opinions, but this statement is flat out wrong. ;)

95 is by far the worst hockey game of the 16 bit generation. I'll accept that '96 might be better than '94, or that it's at least open for debate, but I think you might be the first time I've ever seen someone say that '95 is better, let alone "far superior."

...you were playing it on the SNES, weren't you?:)[/quote]

BINGO! NHL 95 was horrible compared to NHL 94. I remember getting NHL 94 for the Genesis for Christmas and playing the hell out of it with friends. The next Christmas a friend of mine got NHL 95 and we played it for all of about a week before realizing 94 was far superior.

NHL 96 I actually thought was the best hockey game on 16-bit consoles, if not the best hockey game ever. It was just a blast to play, the controls were smooth and I liked the graphics better--the guys were smaller and more fluid.

[quote name='kevlar51']
I'm only addressing this one point (the others seem pretty valid).
Andrew Ryan didn't start randomly acting greedy, he was always greedy. He just picked an ideal, absolute libertarianism, that justified his greed. Initially, he's the one who was profitting off of Rapture. But his ideals changed when Fontaine's endeavors started to affect Ryan directly.
[/QUOTE]

Yep, sorry about that, you are correct. I guess my point was if they really wanted to attack Rand's ideals then they would've had the society fail as the result from the absolute libertarianism instead of a con-artist being able to goad Ryan into downfall.

[quote name='crowbb']I really cannot put Eternal Sonata above Blue Dragon. I SHOULD like it. It is a beautiful game and the story is nothing if not unique, but it just bores me for some reason. I like the combat system, yet I groan everytime I get into a combat. I can't explain why really. The game just seems to be lacking that mysterious fun factor.[/quote]

see I didnt find the fighting system turning me off so much as all the extra dialog about govermental philosophies and theories on whats "right" and whats "wrong" and other garbage that I'm sure was suppose to flesh out the characters but just just felt generic to me. That and the story is a little to much on the emo side for my tastes same way valkaryie profile was but at least this has more main story than valkaryie did.

I can kind of see the combat making you groan a bit since you seem a bit limited on the abilties you can use in combat and the echos making them do more damage means your often times holding off on the more flashy moves for a bigger payoff down the road. Its still a very solid and well balanced fighting system (highlight of the game in my opinion).

P.S. Keep in mind I"m only 6 or 10 hrs into the game I'm hoping it picks up and becomes less freaking morbid as time wears on and that the dialog starts to become more focused rather than about as useful as them discussing the local weather :/.

[quote name='kevlar51']Eternal Sonata seemed boring to you because it's a boring game. The atmosphere is consistently gorgeous, I'll give it that, but sewers and dungeons aren't supposed to be gorgeous or have jewel-encrusted bars.

Back when I was more into JRPGs, I could never wait until the next cut scene. I felt like I was playing to get to the next one. But Eternal Sonata's cuts were far too frequent and far too long. Unnecessarily long, as characters would often dive into some nonsensical, convoluted, self-reflective soliloquy that, while trying to appear profound, only drew frustrated groans from me.

It also bothered me that the characters couldn't put their arms to their sides.[/quote]

Ha! you said it far better than I did :). Everytime I get to a dialog scene I'm like "oh god here we go again" since half the time it degrades into some sort of nonsensical tirade that comes off as just preachy while its trying to be profound it kinda kills the game for me.

[quote name='PhoenixT']
P.S. Keep in mind I"m only 6 or 10 hrs into the game I'm hoping it picks up and becomes less freaking morbid as time wears on and that the dialog starts to become more focused rather than about as useful as them discussing the local weather :/.[/quote]

Nope. Characters pretty much "develop" by talking in circles to themselves, and that doesn't change too terribly much throughout the game.

thats depressing so they just talk in circles about things not relative to the plot the majority of the game?

[quote name='ReturnofBoltz']BINGO! NHL 95 was horrible compared to NHL 94. I remember getting NHL 94 for the Genesis for Christmas and playing the hell out of it with friends. The next Christmas a friend of mine got NHL 95 and we played it for all of about a week before realizing 94 was far superior.

NHL 96 I actually thought was the best hockey game on 16-bit consoles, if not the best hockey game ever. It was just a blast to play, the controls were smooth and I liked the graphics better--the guys were smaller and more fluid.[/quote]

I never played NHL 96, so I guess I can't comment on that. I own 94 and 95, for the SNES, and just have always loved 95. You get Brass Bonanza during Whalers home games, what's not to love. I have a group of friends that loves the game, so that probably helps.

[quote name='ThatDamnDave']I never played NHL 96, so I guess I can't comment on that. I own 94 and 95, for the SNES, and just have always loved 95. You get Brass Bonanza during Whalers home games, what's not to love. I have a group of friends that loves the game, so that probably helps.[/quote]

Thought so. You're comparing crap with crap. :lol: EA sports games were a lot better for the Genesis than SNES. The action was much quicker and smoother.

[quote name='PhoenixT']thats depressing so they just talk in circles about things not relative to the plot the majority of the game?[/quote]

Honestly, one character will talk for 5-10 minutes about garbage they could have said in one sentence.

[quote name='Chris Dillon']fifa 08 is the best hands down sports game of the year. What an experience. Madden is great and all but fifa was revolutionary in its gameplay.[/quote]

It wasn't even the best soccer game- Pro Evo 2008 was.

[quote name='ThatDamnDave']I never played NHL 96, so I guess I can't comment on that. I own 94 and 95, for the SNES, and just have always loved 95. You get Brass Bonanza during Whalers home games, what's not to love. I have a group of friends that loves the game, so that probably helps.[/quote]

I've never actually played 95...I just found 94 at a fleamarket.

bread's done
Back