Quake 4 discussion HERE

ARGH it's out today. But Best buy doesnt get it till wed. Do you guys think it's ok to Buy it from EB games first today and then tomorrow i'll goto BEst buy and buy it with my BB bucks and return that one to EB? lol

[quote name='Toireht']If you cant wait go for it, but just make sure you get a box without a Bestbuy sticker on it.[/QUOTE]

yeah just bought it from EBgames. the BB sticker should come off pretty easily i'd assume. I dont know why exactly I bought the limited collectors edition but yah I did. I guess I didnt want to swap discs during install lol

I still can't decided to get this game or not. Going to GS in a few mins so I guess I will figure it out there.

[quote name='Zoglog']ARGH it's out today. But Best buy doesnt get it till wed. Do you guys think it's ok to Buy it from EB games first today and then tomorrow i'll goto BEst buy and buy it with my BB bucks and return that one to EB? lol[/QUOTE]

Best Buy should have it in today, actually... the local Best Buy here received their shipment at around 1 pm, and had them priced and out within ten minutes.

Just bought mine from there, actually.

[quote name='Roufuss']Best Buy should have it in today, actually... the local Best Buy here received their shipment at around 1 pm, and had them priced and out within ten minutes.

Just bought mine from there, actually.[/QUOTE]

hmm then I guess I might just call after work then and see if they have it so I can take care of the whole mess now

2 of my friends bought this game today, along with me but i have yet to open mine.
Both of my friends keep getting the same error "please insert cd", 1 friend got the game to play "sometimes" by connecting his external dvdrom, he has to restart, and then quickly run the game from the external rom. My other friend cant even get the game to run.
Anyone else have this problem?

update your DLA. I had a problem like that with battlefield 2. It would install, but not run.

and they did not have Quake 4 out at my BB so I think you got lucky in snagging it.

OMG the craziest thing just happened. When I got into work this morning I knew that Quake 4 was coming out but I did not plan on getting it since I figured it wouldn't be in stock since many EB games wouldnt get it till Wed. Luckily I managed to get the 2nd to last Collectors edition at lunch at the EB games in Westwood! So then I declared to myself today would be Quake 4 day for me and I wanted to get home as fast as I could. Well when time came to go home at 6pm I checked up traffic.com and BAM my route had a rating of 1.2 Traffic. I basically fell out of my frickin seat. For my commute from Westwood to Redondo Beach usually has a rating of 6(If i'm lucky)-9. EVEN on columbus day it did not drop below 6. This morning on my way to work I did not notice any traffic fluxation. I didn't think this was possible and thought traffic.com had made a mistake. BUT NO WAY it was true. It was like God himself came and parted the Traffic on the 405 for me to go play Quake 4. So I have come to the conclusion that God LOVES Quake 4 and has hereby approved that I call this Quake 4 day!

Some of you may not think this is signifigant but let me assure you that for the past 2 months that i've been working in Westwood I have NEVER had such good luck with traffic ever. Even in my whole year working in Culver City I never had this good traffic on the 405 save some holidays. It was like a frickin miracle and the parting of the sea by moses!!!!

The game is exactly what I expected it to be... more Quake, and that is a good thing. If you loved Quake 2, you will love this, no doubt about it.

Things REALLY pick up after the first level (which feels alot like Doom 3, actually), and you really start to feel like you are in a war.

Edit: Just played for 2 hours straight, I love this game. Would I buy an Xbox 360 for it? Probably not, it's not revoultionary at all, it's a by the numbers FPS that does a damn good job at what it sets out to do. You really get a good feeling of being in a war.

I still get those feelings of Doom 3, but I'm sure it will go away once I start finding actual Quake weaponry, like the nailgun. The sense of war all around you is an awesome feeling, though.

If you've got a computer that can run it, by all means pick it up, espically if you loved older FPS's such as Quake 2. If you ran Doom 3, you can run this. However, is it worth upgrading / going out of your way to play? Probably not, but F.E.A.R is, so might as well pick this up once you upgrade anyways :lol:

Just finished playing multiplayer for hours. They need to optimize some crap. get framerate drops to 17 in many maps

BFG 6800 OC
3.2GHz Pentium 4
1 gig ram

But man... all I can say is there is NO FPS out there that can match it's deathmatch. Quake is back and I'm happy as hell.
Just wait for the mods. For the first time I really feel like buying a 7800 GTX
I have even tried to overclock my card for the first time to get this

But yeah funniest thing I saw today was some guy trying to play this game like counterstike, he had the machinegun and was crouching "probably zooming too" and trying to snipe people. I just went behind his ass and gauntleted him hahah

[quote name='Zoglog']OMG the craziest thing just happened. When I got into work this morning I knew that Quake 4 was coming out but I did not plan on getting it since I figured it wouldn't be in stock since many EB games wouldnt get it till Wed. Luckily I managed to get the 2nd to last Collectors edition at lunch at the EB games in Westwood! So then I declared to myself today would be Quake 4 day for me and I wanted to get home as fast as I could. Well when time came to go home at 6pm I checked up traffic.com and BAM my route had a rating of 1.2 Traffic. I basically fell out of my frickin seat. For my commute from Westwood to Redondo Beach usually has a rating of 6(If i'm lucky)-9. EVEN on columbus day it did not drop below 6. This morning on my way to work I did not notice any traffic fluxation. I didn't think this was possible and thought traffic.com had made a mistake. BUT NO WAY it was true. It was like God himself came and parted the Traffic on the 405 for me to go play Quake 4. So I have come to the conclusion that God LOVES Quake 4 and has hereby approved that I call this Quake 4 day!

Some of you may not think this is signifigant but let me assure you that for the past 2 months that i've been working in Westwood I have NEVER had such good luck with traffic ever. Even in my whole year working in Culver City I never had this good traffic on the 405 save some holidays. It was like a frickin miracle and the parting of the sea by moses!!!![/QUOTE]

It's cause everyone else was already home playing Q4 before you got off work ;P

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']It's cause everyone else was already home playing Q4 before you got off work ;P[/QUOTE]

lol sadly I wish it were so, but i'm a realist. I know games like FEAR and Counterstrike will still be more popular since it appeals to a more mainstream crowd.

But man did I come D:

icame.jpg

[quote name='Animefalcon']Zolog
Even the 7800GTX was having trouble with Q4 MP :(
PATCH NOW![/QUOTE]

you know the funny thing. despite all the choppiness.... I am still having a damn blast. I played Singleplayer till 3 am yesterday and it is pretty damn good. After all it's Quake cameplay. I personally enjoyed it more than Halflife 2.

I don't know why people complain about linearity in quake 4. just about all fps are linear to some extent.... FEAR is no exception

[quote name='Zoglog']you know the funny thing. despite all the choppiness.... I am still having a damn blast. I played Singleplayer till 3 am yesterday and it is pretty damn good. After all it's Quake cameplay. I personally enjoyed it more than Halflife 2.

I don't know why people complain about linearity in quake 4. just about all fps are linear to some extent.... FEAR is no exception[/QUOTE]

Hey can you tell me why you liked it more than Halflife 2? Right now (even though I have it preordered at EB) I'm thinking I might not get it because all I have is a Radeon 9800 pro / 512 / 2.4 ghz P4. But if you say you've had more fun with it than Halflife 2 I might just deal with the slow framerate.

[quote name='wildnuts02']Hey can you tell me why you liked it more than Halflife 2? Right now (even though I have it preordered at EB) I'm thinking I might not get it because all I have is a Radeon 9800 pro / 512 / 2.4 ghz P4. But if you say you've had more fun with it than Halflife 2 I might just deal with the slow framerate.[/QUOTE]

personal preference with the engine. also the squad play at the beginning and being thrown into a battle in the beginning is engaging. I wish they had a demo of the beginning so you could try it but it's really something. Maybe my fanboy factor is skewing it but damn i'm happy not to be a crowbar weilding wimp. The enemies are more intersting in my opinion. Like they have the strogg with a lanceon his arm and basically he can channel electricity through it and smash the ground for a ground area attack. They are right that some of the vehicle mechanics feel lagged but as far as infantry gameplay goes, it's pretty damn smooth. Also Singleplayer runs much better than multiplayer.

And falcon, I see you posting everywhere from planetquake to gamefaqs haha. :D I sure hope they got those performance issues ironed out. Istill want to get a 7800 GTX just for this game and if rocket arena 4, quake 4 fortress, and Action quake 4 come out, oh man.... orgasm D:

I have a BFG Geforce 6600 PCI-E running on an AMD64 3500+ (2.2ghz) with 1GB of RAM. All of it's overclocked to push a little bit more out. It's not much, I know, but you'd be impressed if you knew how much I spent on the system. Any guesses as to what kind of performance I'd get?

i just finish Q4 sp in 9hrs on Lieutenant
I had a better time in those 9hrs than i did in HL2.
Vegan ill say about 20's to 60fps depending on the map and whats going on

[quote name='Vegan']That not too bad. Not an amazing experience, but playable.[/QUOTE]
the 20fps low is for the last map (and for the few very heavey fire fights)

I think critics are being hard on Quake 4 because it doesn't bring much new to the table. It's an update on Quake 3 with a single player campaign overall. I wouldn't say that is a bad thing seeing as Quake 3 multiplayer was excellent, it just doesn't mean that this is anything revolutionary. The reviewers are probably a little too hard as so often they want a new and different experience, whereas the public is more welcoming to keeping with a well-proven formula.

wow look at this
Athlon 64 X2 3800+ at 2GHz
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
ATI Radeon X800XT PE
Corsair 4X512MB DDR400
quake4.jpg

I didn't know quake 4 was that demanding
source

Any ideas as to what performance I should expect with a Radeon 9800 pro, 512mb, 2.4 ghz p4, SATA HD?

It seemed to run Doom 3 decently at medium quality.

[quote name='wildnuts02']Any ideas as to what performance I should expect with a Radeon 9800 pro, 512mb, 2.4 ghz p4, SATA HD?
It seemed to run Doom 3 decently at medium quality.[/QUOTE]
expect it run worse than doom3
and in MP turn everything off

OMFG!!!! I just played about a solid two hours of the sp game and it freakin rocks. :lol: Picked it up today along w/ Stubbes. This is the best FPS I have played in a long time. Thankfully the game runs decent on my pc. Must go play more Quake!!!

[quote name='wildnuts02']Any ideas as to what performance I should expect with a Radeon 9800 pro, 512mb, 2.4 ghz p4, SATA HD?

It seemed to run Doom 3 decently at medium quality.[/QUOTE]

512MB of RAM? Please, please, please have at least 1GB. I wouldn't even recommend running XP on 512MB.

[quote name='Vegan']512MB of RAM? Please, please, please have at least 1GB. I wouldn't even recommend running XP on 512MB.[/QUOTE]

That's just crazy talk, 512 is PLENTY for XP.

But NOT for gaming. To that point I agree with you.

When people say you need X amount of RAM to run an operating system what they mean is that is what you need to run an average program on that OS.

If you have XP you should have at least 512MB of RAM, because games, image tools, 3D rendering tools, and even Office XP are resource intensive.

But if you want to XP on your old POS with 32MB of RAM and a voodoo card go ahead, it will run but you can't load any programs.

I guess I stupidly thought that RAM wasn't as important for gaming. I'll get another 512MB to take advantage of the DDR 400 and then go for Quake 4

[quote name='Vegan']Maybe I'm just picky, but there's no program that I would personally want to run with 512MB in XP.[/QUOTE]
So you don't want to play any games made after 2003?

Alright guys back on topic pls. =)

In other news I'm in conflict now. I'm not starting to think I shouldnt get an Xbox 360 since i'll be spending so much time with quake 4 D=!!!! So little time so many games #J@O%J@O#

[quote name='Zoglog']Alright guys back on topic pls. =)

In other news I'm in conflict now. I'm not starting to think I shouldnt get an Xbox 360 since i'll be spending so much time with quake 4 D=!!!! So little time so many games #J@O%J@O#[/QUOTE]

Forget the 360 IMO. Next week pick up COD 2 and you will have all the FPS goodness you will need. Also you will be playing two of the best 360 titles a month earlier.

[quote name='stf3']Forget the 360 IMO. Next week pick up COD 2 and you will have all the FPS goodness you will need. Also you will be playing two of the best 360 titles a month earlier.[/QUOTE]

I'm a sucker for hype tho, and I have a severely underused HDTV when it comes to console gaming =(. Also PG3 and Kameo >< argh conflicts!

But yeah Quake 4 the win :). What's everyone's fav MP map so far? Mine is the Rose cuz it lags the least there. Also what people think of the Dark Matter Gun. It moves slow enough to be considered not overpowered in my opinion. ooh I can imagine rocket jumping to avoid Dark Matter :D combat!

Here's an update. It seems many of the FPS drops people experience in the game may be due to the SErvers NOT being powerful enough or network lag. I noticed in some servers maps ran smoother than others with the same amount of people

tweaked settings here

http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Quake4/FPSVisuals.htm

[quote name='Vegan']512MB of RAM? Please, please, please have at least 1GB. I wouldn't even recommend running XP on 512MB.[/QUOTE]
umm no theres little diffrent between 512 and 256mb in windows xp (not in games or other heavey programs)

[quote name='stf3']Forget the 360 IMO. Next week pick up COD 2 and you will have all the FPS goodness you will need. Also you will be playing two of the best 360 titles a month earlier.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention you can also play Oblivion, the new Ghost Recon, Condemned... no reason to get a 360 at all if you have a good PC.

I don't think Kameo, PGR 3, and others are worth the $400 at the moment, imo.

I will just wait a bit for the DVD version to drop.. 54 bucks..eeek.. I am not much of a FPS player myself...Doom 3 actually bored me (way too dark)..half life 2 is one of those games that I wanted to complete...that expansion needs to get here quick. I am not much of a quaker myself. The models and textures are impressive but they look too buffed up for humans and too shiny skin textures. HL2 wins my vote for realisitc humans :p

I picked this up today with $21 worth of Best Buy bucks I've saved up, used online for instore pickup.

No time to play it until Maybe Thursday though. :(

One of the few games I've bought new this year. I kept hearing it was like Q2 and Q3 and I'm happy...I wasn't a huge fan of Q3 but Q2 was awesome...hell I still play it online sometimes...

Now hopefully my A64 2800+ and 9800pro & 1 GB of RAM (XT) don't choke on it too badly. Doom 3 ran OK...

[quote name='GreenMonkey']I picked this up today with $21 worth of Best Buy bucks I've saved up, used online for instore pickup.

No time to play it until Maybe Thursday though. :(

One of the few games I've bought new this year. I kept hearing it was like Q2 and Q3 and I'm happy...I wasn't a huge fan of Q3 but Q2 was awesome...hell I still play it online sometimes...

Now hopefully my A64 2800+ and 9800pro & 1 GB of RAM (XT) don't choke on it too badly. Doom 3 ran OK...[/QUOTE]

Hope you got the Collector's Edition... it has Quake 2 + both expansions on one DVD :D

one question, will my laptop be able to run it(it can run doom 3 on low)
Processor: Intel Pentium M 1728MHz
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce Go 6200
Memory: 1024MB
Free Disk Space: 25.28GB

[quote name='Roufuss']Hope you got the Collector's Edition... it has Quake 2 + both expansions on one DVD :D[/QUOTE]

Is it Q2 with revamped engine/graphics, or just a version that will install okay on new pc's?

[quote name='ajumbaje']one question, will my laptop be able to run it(it can run doom 3 on low)
Processor: Intel Pentium M 1728MHz
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce Go 6200
Memory: 1024MB
Free Disk Space: 25.28GB[/QUOTE]

try the demo. no clue about those wacky laptop chips... :)

[quote name='Roufuss']Hope you got the Collector's Edition... it has Quake 2 + both expansions on one DVD :D[/QUOTE]

Yup. I still have my Q2 disc, case and manual though, and it still installs fine on my PC. So not like I realy needed it, but I got it anyway.

System: 754 socket A64 2800+, MSI 9800pro, 1GB Corsair value select PC3200.
Nothing overclocked, but I might do that it get things running better- my 9800pro has an XT core and is detected as an XT, I might OC it a bit now that I actually need more power.

Impressions: single player is a FPS. I get bored by single player FPS easily, so no big opinions there. Runs decent.

Graphics: no 1280x960 option :cry:, CRT users should stick to 1280x960 instead of 1280x1024 as that is a slightly incorrect aspect ratio. That's my standard rez. I used 1152x864 instead.

Single player: game runs well on Low with Vsync and 2x AA. And almost tolerable on Medium Quality
Multiplayer: turn everything the hell off, talk about the game bringing my PC to its knees. I run it on Low @ 1152x864, Vsync on, no AA but I think I'm sticking with 800x600 to keep my framerate up. Runs a lot better at 800x600 but GFX don't look so hot on a 19" CRT :(

Gameplay: Quake3-ish but quake2-ish. I personally didn't like Q3 that much and was a rabid fan of multiplayer Q2. This is almost as good as Q2 IMO.

bread's done
Back