Quake 4 discussion HERE

[quote name='GreenMonkey']CRT users should stick to 1280x960 instead of 1280x1024 as that is a slightly incorrect aspect ratio.[/QUOTE]

I've never heard of this before. I've been using 1280x1024 in Windows and in games for years with no detectable distortion.

[quote name='Vegan']I've never heard of this before. I've been using 1280x1024 in Windows and in games for years with no detectable distortion.[/QUOTE]

It's a common resolution for some sort of legacy reason. Something to do with old CAD workstations or something. If you do the math you will see that 1280x1024 = 1.25:1 ratio, or 5:4 ratio, instead of the proper 4:3, or 1.33:1, of the other resolutions. Not a big difference (a few percent distortion) that most people get used to...

Plasmas have rectangular pixels and 1280x1024 LCDs are actually 5:4 ratio displays.

This tends to piss off some computer geeks that like the ratio, but as a HT geek I take issue with it. A few percent is a few percent, and I like it to look right. Plus the few less pixels should be easier on the gfx card. :D

Here's a quote from Anandtech on it:

Resolution, Aspect Ratio: If you buy a 4:3 LCD, the resolution had better be 4:3 as well. That is, a 19" LCD should have an aspect ratio of 1600x1200, 1280x960, or some derivative thereof. Most 19" and 17" LCDs have an aspect ratio of 5:4 (1280x1024). This is OK, but you're looking at a 5:4 signal crammed in a 4:3 box. Our Dell 2001FP, on the other hand, measures exactly 16" by 12" and runs at a resolution of 1600x1200. Generally, a skew aspect ratio is not enough to notice, but if you do any sort of graphic work, all of your circles will look like ovals. This goes the same for widescreen LCDs - buy a widescreen LCD with a widescreen resolution; a 30" wide format LCD with a resolution of 1024x768 will not look correct no matter what you do to the signal.

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2289&p=2

Try putting it in 1280x960 and you'll see the difference. My other computer-saavy coworkers hate my 1280x960, they say it looks funny. They're just used to staring at a slightly incorrect rez. It's like torch-mode on a TV set, out of the factory with cranked up sharpness, reds, etc...people aren't used to seeing it set properly - they are used to something different.

My understanding, though, is that 1280x1024 in 3D games is normally adjusted for, I.E., it doesn't make a difference in games. But my display geometry, etc is all tweaked for 1280x960 desktop use and I like to avoid the clickity-click of changing resolutions.

EDIT: I found some confirmation here.
http://www.hardwareforumz.com/-ratios-vary-ftopict31967.html

I guess it doesn't matter for me anyway, multiplayer Quake 4 owns my 9800pro, I end up running it at 800x600 anyway.

Personaly i'm amazed how well this game runs and how quickly it loads compared to many other games in this generation and how great this game looks. The multiplayer loads fast as ever but still needs work in optimizations.

Quake Wars Anybody :D I'm lookin forward to that

[quote name='tearofangst']i played this all day yesterday...and holy fuck....this is honestly the best game i've ever played in the past 3 years...holy crap...[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say that lol, but it is defeintly the best PC FPS I have played recently ;)
To get the full effect you have to lose yourself in the singleplayer which the graphics certainly help to do.

bread's done
Back