Question about GBA game prices

legendarypegasus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
I just got a DS during the Target $129 w/ Mario & Luigi: PiT sale, this is the first handheld that I have ever owned, so forgive me for my lack of knowledge. I went to a couple of stores (Gamecrazy, EBgames, Gamestop) to pick up a few used GBA games. I was surprised to find most of them, despite being 2-3 years old, were saling for $20-$29. I asked a friend and he said that many (not all) of the more populare GBA games never seem to fall in price.

Any truth to this statement? Or did I just hit a few bad stores?

I should probably mention I was looking for Super Mario Advance 2 - 4, Advance Wars 1 and 2, Superstar Saga, and Fire emblem 1 and 2.

I haven't decided whether it's good or bad that they don't fall. I guess it depends on if you already own them or not :D.

Pretty much every GBA game with an iconic name/character doesn't drop. (marios, castlevanias, etc...).

I'm sure people in the Trading forum have GBA games for cheaper then any Gamestop or EB. That's where i would go for used GBA games.

[quote name='swetooth9']add psp games into the mix, and let's just say handheld games dont fall in price often...[/QUOTE]
PSP games arent dropping because its a new system. If you look on EBGames, there are already a few games (Virtua Tennis, Smart Bomb, Frantix) that are below $20, which is huge when you compare it to the $50 price tag for most new PSP games.

PSP games are actually going to drop in price, it is merely nintendo's third party system/cartridge selling that causes prices to stay high on their systems. A while ago, I made a topic questioning whether PSP games would go down in price faster than Game Boy games, and 62t summerized GBA pricings pretty well:
[quote name='62t']Well GBa games will either keep getting new prints and the cost stay high (like the mario games) or get a price drop than become hard to find. GBA games are ususally not known for second print.[/Quote]
Its because of the high costs of manufacturing GBA cartridges that games which did not do too well will not receive another printing, and will either stay at full price until the company can at least keep cover their losses, and then the game will become rare (not that anyone will care)

I found the topic, it should answer some questions, or at least give some good observations on the topic of portable pricings (as long you can go through Gizogc's complaining)
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39765&page=2

sounds good to me...the more drops the better :D i just havent seen enough drops to confidently say that many psp games will drop in price as quickly as ps2 and xbox games do...

From what I hear, Nintendo will soon be starting a Player's Choice line for their GBA games. So some 1st party games will drop to $20. I know Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and a couple of the Mario Advance games will be the first to go PC so if you want new copies, it's best to just wait till then.

Yeah, I'm waiting for Superstar Saga to be rereleased. I refuse to settle for GBA games without a box and manual.

bread's done
Back