Question about redeeming a $20 PSN Card w/ Error msg

GBAstar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
62 (100%)
I have a quick question:

A few weeks ago I used some BB gift cards to buy $20 PSN Cards. I then sold a few of them to someone that is claiming they weren't valid. As a test I tried redeeming the codes myself after he informed me of this.

Edit: I bought them from BestBuy.com and they were shipped to me. I have the yellow packing slip but no receipt with authorization/activation codes like you would have received had you bought them in store----so I can't verify if they were correctly activated.

I'm logged into my PSN account through my web browser. When I use the redeem prepaid card option and enter in the PSN code (in xxxx-xxxx-xxxx format) the first screen looks like this:

Redeem Prepaid Card This Prepaid Card has a value of $20.00. Do you want to add these funds to your wallet? Current Wallet FundsLast Funded: 06/09/2011$11.62Funding Amount

$20.00

Wallet Amount After Funding

However when I click the "Yes, I agree. Add funds to my wallet" button I go to a new page with the following error: 

The Prepaid Card code you entered is incorrect or is no longer valid

What would this mean? Does it mean the code wasn't activated properly at the time of purchase? 

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds like a big mess... :booty:
I'm not invested in it too deeply I'm just genuinely trying to figure out what happened. I'm amazed that the PSN Store can recognize the code as having a value of $20 if it was never activated in the first place.... but I don't fund my wallet with PSN cards frequently so I have no idea if that is normal.

damn, I have a decent amount of psn and itunes cards from online bb orders too.  hope you find something out.  I've always tested the codes when I traded some on CAG before

damn, I have a decent amount of psn and itunes cards from online bb orders too. hope you find something out. I've always tested the codes when I traded some on CAG before

But what I don't understand is even if I tried to verify the cards before sending them (I didn't) how would I have known they weren't working?

When I test it now this is what I see on the first screen from my web browser (see picture)

cmpy.jpg

So everything looks good. Going by that I would have thought the card was valid anyway.... BUT when I click the "apply" button I get taken to the next page with the following error message (see picture):

rhva.png

I mean it isn't rocket science... either the cards weren't activated but PSN store can still tell what value the card was designed for or they were activated and used

well I never redeemed psn credit or had any on my account. 

now that I think about it, I don't recall ever seeing that wallet/calculating part.  I would just enter the code and get a message about what it is for.  or maybe I never actually test codes for psn credit (which would mean the psn credit codes I traded were either all okay or the person hasn't used them all).

I'm pretty sure used psn codes (for dlc at least) don't show what the content was for.  Also I believe the message is something along the lines of "code is invalid or has been used" so you don't even know if the code was correct!  Xbl codes show as used or invalid which is good.

well I never redeemed psn credit or had any on my account.

now that I think about it, I don't recall ever seeing that wallet/calculating part. I would just enter the code and get a message about what it is for. or maybe I never actually test codes for psn credit (which would mean the psn credit codes I traded were either all okay or the person hasn't used them all).

I'm pretty sure used psn codes (for dlc at least) don't show what the content was for. Also I believe the message is something along the lines of "code is invalid or has been used" so you don't even know if the code was correct! Xbl codes show as used or invalid which is good.
^ I'm trying to redeem these through the http://us.playstation.com/psn/playstation-store/ website if that matters.

I thought it was user error when he first messaged me because I just went as far as the first screen and figured that the $20 must still be redeemable because I was initially give the option to apply it to my wallet but once I tried I got the error message.

and FWIW this wasn't a stranger on CL or eBay that I was selling these to; I have an acquaintance that I've done a little bit of business with in South America for about three years now and if he wanted to rip me off he would have had much more rewarding opportunities.

And he is well aware that the codes need to be redeemed in a U.S. PSN store so that isn't the issue either.

^ That is the next logical step I suppose but who knows how helpful they'll be. Do you think I'll need more then just the "code" meaning any other information from the back of the card?
Can you view your invoice online at BBY.com? I wouldn't know what other way you get the other numbers unless they are computer generated on their end.

Just to reaffirm, you never received a physical card, just the email with the activation code right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you view your invoice online at BBY.com? I wouldn't know what other way you get the other numbers unless they are computer generated on their end.

Just to reaffirm, you never received a physical card, just the email with the activation code right?

No---I received physical cards; I had them mailed to me. I physically mailed those cards to my buyer along with a few games. He has them now but is willing to send front/back scans or whatever else will be of help.

Well, if they are anything like PS+ cards, they have a SKU, an activation code that is scanned and then the code you scratch off and enter. Ask him for some scans so you can call Sony, You should probably ask Frisky, he might have some general knowledge on how these things work.

I had an issue when I did an In store pick up for $50 Psn card yet when I picked it up I failed to check for their activation

You can actually contact Sony over chat and they were more then willing to tell me if the card was actives or not.
They just asked me for the code that was it

i don't recall exactly the situation but when I attempted to redeem a PSN card that wasn't activated, it showed the same messages that you had.  My point is I believe the PSN can identify the wallet card even though it has not been activated yet.  You can test this theory by trying out a card from any retail store without paying for it.  So it may not narrow down your research unfortunately.

^ I haven't contacted Sony yet but I will today. It just sucks because when you buy these online (I've only bought them online from BB and Sams's club---maybe it's different at other retailers) you don't get a line by line activation code for each card.

Just got a generic sku/item number with qty of 10 and a description of the card and that's it. So there is no way to confirm what cards they sent me and which ones were and were not activated. I guess it is possible they might keep that information in a computer somewhere but it just looks like it's going to be a he said vs she said type thing.

bread's done
Back