Radeon 7970 vs GTX 680M

Status
Not open for further replies.

RELISCH

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
So I am doing research for my future gaming laptop, so I am certain and prepared when it comes time to buy. My question is a simple one. What is the better GPU between AMD Radeon 7970 and nVidia GeForce GTX 680M? What are the main differences? Is the 680 worth the extra money?

For reference this GPU would be on an Alienware M17x R4 with an Intel i7-3740QM.

Ask that question again when you're ready to buy, and check out Tom's Hardware for their buying guide. They always break down FPS:$ to see what's the best bang for your buck.

In fact, you could have just googled your question and got an article right away.

I have, and I found a lot of opinions when it came to desktops, not laptops. And to be honest, if you didn't have an answer, you didn't have to come in the thread. This isn't my first rodeo, and I looked other places for opinions. Just thought some PC knowladgable CAG's could help, as we tend to like to get the most for our money.

I'm not mad, but I'm not sure as to why you posted.

Standard questions.
1. When are you looking to buy? (Jodou makes a good point, useless to window shop now and buy months down the road; gpu landscape changes every 3 months)
2. Budget?
3. What size would you like? Gaming 15 and 17" are common and the weight savings of the 15 are nice.
4. Dead set on crazy expensive Alienware?​
While I do like Alienware laptops, I do not like their crazy price points for a better than average quality; specially when you have custom builders like Sager, AVA Direct and Origin PC who make the same laptops for cheaper. Not only that, but I would take a gander at ASUS gaming laptops as they too make good mainstream gaming notebooks with the GTX 660/670m's in the $1300-1500 range.

As for your original question; between the 7970m or the 680m? You have to be crazy to spend the extra $200 for the 680m when the 7970m runs very close to the 680 on most games (besides the outlier of Diablo 3, borderlands 2 and Portal 2). Literally took all of 10 seconds to find a comparison on anandtech.com (as they did it with both the AVA Direct and Alienware x17 laptops).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back