Radio Shack Ad Shows Xbox 360 Consoles Price Drop

ChaosWeevil

CAG Veteran
[img-r=4668]1916[/img-r]Joystiq has obtained a copy of a future Radio Shack Ad (dated 9/7) which lists price drops for the Xbox 360 Elite and Arcade consoles. These prices jibe with Ars Technica's original report which revealed the new prices as:

• Arcade $200
  • Pro (60GB HD) $300
  • Elite (120GB HD) $400
Ars's mole also says we should expect game pack-ins in time for the holidays.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've requested a deal for this in the other forum. I've decided I can't wait for the newer hardware. I've got to auction mine in order to pay for the new one. So hopefully I can still get a good bid on it before the price drops officially.

AzBat

This is going to hurt Xbox sales for Aug....but it is a deal, because it may hold someone off buying one until Sept, saving them money.

Has anyone done a price match/refund on these types of deals before? I know that Circuit City has a 30 day guarantee on the lowest advertised price and 10% of the difference to boot. Does it apply to these types of price drops? If they do, I can't think of any reason to wait...

[quote name='tokerblue']Has anyone done a price match/refund on these types of deals before? I know that Circuit City has a 30 day guarantee on the lowest advertised price and 10% of the difference to boot. Does it apply to these types of price drops? If they do, I can't think of any reason to wait...[/quote]

That's what I want to know as well. Thanks in advance.

AzBat

The Circuit City guarantee looks as though it'd cover this. Don't take that as gospel, though, as I've only ever bought 2 things at CC. Although this might make that 3, thanks for letting me know about that, I had no idea that CC did that.

So are the 20GB (if you can still find one at that point) still going to be $299.99 as well? Seems like there would need to be some cut for remaining stock of those, or they'll just vanquish on shelves. I still see a lot around my area.

There will probably be a holiday bundle in late oct- mid nov. as well. If your'e into waiting, and want to be sure you get the new jasper chips, thats probably the best time to pounce.

[quote name='Medium_Pimpin']There will probably be a holiday bundle in late oct- mid nov. as well. If your'e into waiting, and want to be sure you get the new jasper chips, thats probably the best time to pounce.[/quote]
*stamps feet with childlike impatience*

One would assume since the Pro was not in the ad, that meant it wasn't getting the price drop. But that would be crazy. I think for those stores that still had 20gigs they would need to continue to sell their stock before they could buy the 60gigs. Those that have the 60gigs then could probably drop the price to $299. Microsoft might allow stores to do their own clearance pricing to get the 20gigs less than $299. This is definitely a big mess they have on their hands. They should have done this price drop with GTA4 and then waited till August or September to release the 60gig. I'm sure they didn't have any idea that it would have taken so long to get rid of the 20gig units.

AzBat

[quote name='h0mi']I plan on buying an arcade from best buy, then price matching on the 7th.[/quote]

The Best Buy site says that used games fall under the 14-day policy, but if I were betting man I might at least wait till Sunday before I bought one.

AzBat

[quote name='AzBat']The Best Buy site says that used games fall under the 14-day policy, but if I were betting man I might at least wait till Sunday before I bought one.

AzBat[/QUOTE]

Why? Consoles fall under their 30 day policy.

[quote name='mitch079']Why? Consoles fall under their 30 day policy.[/quote]

Personally I've never price matched a console. Just being careful. You never know who you get at the customer service counter.

AzBat

[quote name='AzBat']The Best Buy site says that used games fall under the 14-day policy, but if I were betting man I might at least wait till Sunday before I bought one.

AzBat[/quote]

I'm not buying a used game. I'm buying a console.

In a worst case scenario, I could wait until next Tuesday and buy then. Or just wait till payday on the 31st :D

I had no problems PMing a PS3 back with the first price drop last year. (thanks to knowing in advance with Speedy). I can't imagine you'd have difficulties with PMing a 360.

I took in the Circuit City ad, since their own ad didn't have it, and they even gave me an extra $10 back. ;) (110% guarantee against a competitor) YMMV on that one, of course.

[quote name='BoneMonkey80']sony CAN'T match it there already losing money on the system[/QUOTE]

already? It is still losing, it needs a profit first

[quote name='ChaosWeevil']http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/20/sources-xbox-360-price-cut-week-of-sept-7-60gb-299-elite-3/

New prices:
Arcade: $199
Pro (60g): $299
Elite: $399

Welp, now I have to wait another 2 weeks to pick one up. Oh well, at least I get it cheaper.[/quote]

so with the arcade selling for 199... and the 120 GB hard drive selling for 179.99 {at full price} why would anyone buy the elite anymore? you're paying $20 for a black case and an hdmi cable?

and with the arcade + 120 GB hard drive you get five arcade games and you save 20 dollars... {and you can probably save much more than 20 as the hard drives can often be found on sale or clearance}.

[quote name='willow_twf']so with the arcade selling for 199... and the 120 GB hard drive selling for 179.99 {at full price} why would anyone buy the elite anymore? you're paying $20 for a black case and an hdmi cable?

and with the arcade + 120 GB hard drive you get five arcade games and you save 20 dollars... {and you can probably save much more than 20 as the hard drives can often be found on sale or clearance}.[/QUOTE]

Would still opt for the Elite as it comes with Component cables, HDMI, Ethernet cable and Headset over that combination. Seems worth it for $20, also black is better. :D Although they should throw in some games with the Elite...

Isn't it also true the Elite version is the only model with a video/digital audio out adapter thingie for those who prefer using external speakers / receiver with their HDTV?

[quote name='willow_twf']so with the arcade selling for 199... and the 120 GB hard drive selling for 179.99 {at full price} why would anyone buy the elite anymore? you're paying $20 for a black case and an hdmi cable?

and with the arcade + 120 GB hard drive you get five arcade games and you save 20 dollars... {and you can probably save much more than 20 as the hard drives can often be found on sale or clearance}.[/quote]

Basically true, the elite model doesn't make much sense to buy. However, Microsoft again started bundling Forza 2 and Marvel ultimate alliance with the elites only. So you do get those 2 games.

[quote name='dmaul1114']So are the 20GB (if you can still find one at that point) still going to be $299.99 as well? Seems like there would need to be some cut for remaining stock of those, or they'll just vanquish on shelves. I still see a lot around my area.[/quote]

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=vanquish

I think you meant the exact opposite of that. :booty:

Unless you meant that those shelves will be mightily "subdued" by the Xbox 360s.

[quote name='FatBoyInside']Isn't it also true the Elite version is the only model with a video/digital audio out adapter thingie for those who prefer using external speakers / receiver with their HDTV?[/quote]

Its actually part of the HDMI cable that comes with the Elite.
However, you can buy the cable separately.
Xbox 360 HDMI AV Cable

Hopefully stores will jump and start cutting the price of the standalone HDDs.

Mass opinion is that VGA is a better image than HDMI, especially with pixel mapping, so if people have a TV with VGA, use that.

ummmmm get either one of these

Roku Netflix Player what allows you to watch netflix moves VIA your tv for 115 bucks shipped

Or

arcade xbox 360 and wait till OCT and watch netflix movies via TV for 199..

thats like geting the xbox for less then 90 bucks

now i got to wonder if your going to need a hard drive to watch the movies

[quote name='slidecage']ummmmm get either one of these

Roku Netflix Player what allows you to watch netflix moves VIA your tv for 115 bucks shipped

Or

arcade xbox 360 and wait till OCT and watch netflix movies via TV for 199..

thats like geting the xbox for less then 90 bucks

now i got to wonder if your going to need a hard drive to watch the movies[/QUOTE]

You also need a Live Gold membership for Netflix 360

[quote name='bmarquardt']You also need a Live Gold membership for Netflix 360[/QUOTE]

not really a factor if you was already plannin on taking it online also i heard Roku makes a lot of junk that really dont work (that is why you see so many on ebay)

probally waiting for nothing.. when oct rolls around they will say there are problems and be pushed back to SUMMER 09 lol

when it does come out i probally dropping all of my cable movie channels.. It will be interesting to see how this will effect video and cable companies.... 18.99 per month for old hbo movies or FREE To watch all of the movies on Netflix

interesting news but I don't think it'll over take the Wii just yet. Maybe if the Wii doesn't get any decent games which sadly could very easily happen.

[quote name='wynams']indeed, once Jasper is confirmed ... a 360 mine will finally be[/quote]
Also same here... If they would just release the improved d-pad to North America, the package would be complete... oh, and a cheaper wi-fi adapter please.

[quote name='slidecage']when it does come out i probally dropping all of my cable movie channels.. It will be interesting to see how this will effect video and cable companies.... 18.99 per month for old hbo movies or FREE To watch all of the movies on Netflix[/quote]

I'd suggest not, have you seen the selection of watch it now movies on Netflix?

Current queue = 192 movies
Instant Play movies in that list = 14 movies.

Not one of which was made after about 1999.

this only further confirms a rumor that has been floating around for a while. it's even the same date of 09/07/08. i think it's real and if it is i'll pick up an arcade unit. it's only 30 bucks more than a psp. i'll get online and hard drive later.....i just want the exclusives.

[quote name='st0nedpenguin']I'd suggest not, have you seen the selection of watch it now movies on Netflix?

Current queue = 192 movies
Instant Play movies in that list = 14 movies.

Not one of which was made after about 1999.[/QUOTE]

it says they have over 12000 movies

also come on you know your going to want to watch

SHARP TEETH

When contaminated water from a nuclear reactor runs into a nearby nature preserve, the mutated fish begin feasting on local residents. Beautiful journalism student Lola hopes to uncover the truth and tries to entice handsome police officer Andy to help her. Will they succeed or just wind up as fish bait? Directed by Christine Whitlock, this campy romp stars Ilene Elkaim, Andrew Huisman, Trevor Crane, Melanie Staley and Ethan Edwards.

sounds like picture of the year : )

either way its free so why complain about it

looks like you can watch HEROES season 1 for free
office season 1 ect

so there is some stuff to watch and i say by the time the xbox rolls there will be mroe

I see they added this (Beginning late fall 2008) for the xbox so probally we will be lucky to have this by xmas

bread's done
Back