Radio Shack Ad Shows Xbox 360 Consoles Price Drop

ChaosWeevil

CAG Veteran
[img-r=4668]1916[/img-r]Joystiq has obtained a copy of a future Radio Shack Ad (dated 9/7) which lists price drops for the Xbox 360 Elite and Arcade consoles. These prices jibe with Ars Technica's original report which revealed the new prices as:

• Arcade $200
  • Pro (60GB HD) $300
  • Elite (120GB HD) $400
Ars's mole also says we should expect game pack-ins in time for the holidays.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='st0nedpenguin']I'd suggest not, have you seen the selection of watch it now movies on Netflix?[/quote]

It's pretty hard to find anything good to watch on the 'watch now' front. There's a some great TV shows, some worthwhile movies, but it's mostly bargain bin type stuff that you'd never want to watch anyway... I hope the netflix player, and the Microsoft partnership will bring in some higher quality content.

[quote name='ricoraney']I just picked one up from Gamestop last week. I am going to get my $50 price adjustment soon.[/quote]

So GS does do price adjustments.

Does anyone know if they'll do the same for a refurbed 360? Because my bro and I were planning on buying a refurb either today or tomorrow.

[quote name='st0nedpenguin']I'd suggest not, have you seen the selection of watch it now movies on Netflix?

Current queue = 192 movies
Instant Play movies in that list = 14 movies.

Not one of which was made after about 1999.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I watched "King of Kong: Fistful of Quarters" streamed online. Also, I saw they had "Letters from Iwo Jima". I like it as an option.

MjC

[quote name='vherub']same[/QUOTE]

[quote name='evyrew']Also same here... If they would just release the improved d-pad to North America, the package would be complete... oh, and a cheaper wi-fi adapter please.[/QUOTE]

3rd'ed. 60Gb+Jasper+price drop will probably get me to bite.

[quote name='slidecage']not really a factor if you was already plannin on taking it online also i heard Roku makes a lot of junk that really dont work (that is why you see so many on ebay)

probally waiting for nothing.. when oct rolls around they will say there are problems and be pushed back to SUMMER 09 lol

when it does come out i probally dropping all of my cable movie channels.. It will be interesting to see how this will effect video and cable companies.... 18.99 per month for old hbo movies or FREE To watch all of the movies on Netflix[/quote]

Meh. It's not free...you have to pay for a Xbox Live Gold subscription AND a Netflix subscription.

I already stream Netflix to my TV using a PC connected through HDMI. Any old HDTV can be hooked up to a PC if you have the right connector. Use the Windows Vista Media Center Netflix plug-in and a Media Center remote control, then run your TV cable through your PC as well (requires a TV card). Then you can do everything a TIVO can (with much more hard drive space), plus you can stream Netflix and Youtube, and you can watch videos from any other website and in any format (360 is limited in the number of video formats it can play, like Ipod, for example).

Still, if you don't have the cash or technical knowledge to hook a PC up to your TV for movie viewing, a 360 might be the next best thing. I haven't been impressed with the PS3's new video streaming capabilities so far, streaming video from my home network to the PS3.

[quote name='BoneMonkey80']with these price cuts what will happen to the ps3 ?[/quote]

Nothing, Sony will just give you a bigger hard drive (80 gigs instead of 40, 160 gigs instead of 80... and so on! :lol:)

[quote name='beavis']So if i buy an hd for the arcade will it be able to go online?[/quote]

Yes, an Arcade with a HD can go online. I have been waiting for this deal...I bought a 20GB hard drive for $25 at K-Mart several months ago!

this is sweet, my brother was looking to get a 360, so this will probably push him to do it now.

I've had mine for about a year now, and once the Jasper units come out, i don't think I can resist getting one at the arcade price, sell my old one, and moving my HDD over.

[quote name='evyrew']It's pretty hard to find anything good to watch on the 'watch now' front. There's a some great TV shows, some worthwhile movies, but it's mostly bargain bin type stuff that you'd never want to watch anyway... I hope the netflix player, and the Microsoft partnership will bring in some higher quality content.[/quote]

Yeah, I've been hoping the same thing.

[quote name='MCalvert1']Hey, I watched "King of Kong: Fistful of Quarters" streamed online. Also, I saw they had "Letters from Iwo Jima". I like it as an option.

MjC[/quote]

Oh it's definitely nice if you just consider it a bonus to an existing subscription, I just wouldn't drop something like cable movie channels in order to rely solely on it.

Strange that the ad is made so far in advance. Normally it is only 2 weeks.

Hopefully it isn't photoshopped and just more evidence that this is happening.

I was wondering... besides the absence of a hard drive... what makes the arcade package different from the pro and elite (cables/headset/etc)? Wouldn't it now be cheaper to buy an Arcade unit and find a cheap HDD off ebay?

[quote name='evyrew']I was wondering... besides the absence of a hard drive... what makes the arcade package different from the pro and elite (cables/headset/etc)? Wouldn't it now be cheaper to buy an Arcade unit and find a cheap HDD off ebay?[/QUOTE]

No components, ethernet cable or headset. Besides the HD thats about it. So yes, you can easily buy a cheap used hard drive on eBay and a HDMI cable and your all set.

The average price of 20gig HD's used is under $40 shipped, and HDMI cables I've snagged for $5 shipped before.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/compare101.htm?WT.svl=nav

[quote name='lilboo']Just curious, what games does the Arcade bundle come with?[/QUOTE]

UNO, Luxor 2, Pacman Championship Edition, Boom Boom Rocket, Feeding Frenzy on a disc. Not sure if you need this disc to play them or they can be installed and licensed to you. I forget.

That's not bad actually! PacMan and Uno are total win. BBR kinda blows but Feeding Frenzy and Luxor 2 are alright!

Yeah very good value considering you can get the hard drive cheap.
If it wasn't for the RROD (we are both familiar with it) I would say the 360 is the best value on the market period. Ruined convinced me the falcons had a lower failure rate (about 10%) and would last longer. I'm sure in three years once our warrantys are up we'll be buying another $360 at hopefully $150 or less and selling our refurbs... lol.

[quote name='willow_twf']so with the arcade selling for 199... and the 120 GB hard drive selling for 179.99 {at full price} why would anyone buy the elite anymore? you're paying $20 for a black case and an hdmi cable?
[/quote]

You're paying $20 for the $50 hdmi cable bundle (with optical out), black case, ethernet cable and the component cables. It's a dubious value for people with HDMI equipped AVRs but older receiver owners may need to resort to kludges or buying that $50 cable bundle.

The arcade is finally a good value, even if it's annoying that MS is selling a SKU without a HDD (and of course, there's the fact that the HDD prices are obscene). The 60gb drive should kick in at $100 and it would come with 3 months of xbox live (if the rumors pan out to be true). So for $300, you get an arcade, 5 free games, memory card, 60gb hard drive and 3 months of xbox live. Or you get the premium and you get component & ethernet cables as well.

Supposedly the 120gb drive will hit $150 making the elite a worse value.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']UNO, Luxor 2, Pacman Championship Edition, Boom Boom Rocket, Feeding Frenzy on a disc. Not sure if you need this disc to play them or they can be installed and licensed to you. I forget.[/quote]

Only playable while u have the disc and cannot be installed on the HD [if you buy one separately]...

If the news from Leipzig is any indication Microsoft might be ready to release a 60gb value pack that comes with 3 months of Live Gold and a headset. In Europe it will sell for 79euros. That's about $118 in the US. I could see them making it $100 here, but if they're still doing the $1USD = 1euro, then it might be $79, but I doubt it.

AzBat360

[quote name='rishid']Strange that the ad is made so far in advance. Normally it is only 2 weeks.

Hopefully it isn't photoshopped and just more evidence that this is happening.[/QUOTE]

So far, I haven't seen any reason to believe otherwise.

If I could find a cheap hard drive, I might finally get a 360 and buy the $200 Arcade bundle. The hardware failure rate still scares me, though, and I'm inclined to wait it out until we figure out what the holiday game pack-ins are.

At this point, I just want a system that can play Rock Band and handle the DLC for it.

This ad is so early it's either a fake or every company selling 360's is going to be on a serious manhunt for whoever gave it up.

Ugh they still make the Arcade version? At cheaper then a Wii though it should really fly off the shelves this holiday season

Yeah they are still making a arcade version but after you sell the memory unit on eBay you can probably score a arcade with the HD for $200ish, or as stated above just buy a HD for $40 (or less) shipped.

Damn, thats a nice price for the Arcade. If I can snag an Arcade and a hard drive (size doesn't matter) for around $250 + tax I might just consider biting once I save up for it.

I don't get it, where is the confirmation that the other models are dropping price? Does it really make sense too drop the 20GB down to $300 then sell the 60GB for $350 for a couple of weeks and then sell it for $300 so soon?
Not that the elite is worth the extra $100 over the premium anymore. Unless you count it coming with that stupid dongle you will need for the audio to use with HDMI.

[quote name='h0mi']You're paying $20 for the $50 hdmi cable bundle (with optical out), black case, ethernet cable and the component cables. It's a dubious value for people with HDMI equipped AVRs but older receiver owners may need to resort to kludges or buying that $50 cable bundle. [/quote]

Not to be sniffed at when you consider how stupid a white 360 looks sat next to a wall of black components.

Thank god I was able to return mine and jump on a cheap elite.

I am banking on this price drop coming through. I already got a 20GB HD from ebay (40 shipped) and I have 100$ in Gamestop credit burning a hole in my pocket. I doubt I'll be able to wait for Jasper.

i really should wait for jasper and the holiday pack ins but im bored as hell over here.. i think im giong to bite Sunday or Monday and price match.

There is no real reason to wait for Jasper. Not like you are going to save any money or anything. RROD is not a problem with current systems unless you the 360 in a closed box.

[quote name='rishid']There is no real reason to wait for Jasper. Not like you are going to save any money or anything. RROD is not a problem with current systems unless you the 360 in a closed box.[/QUOTE]

Ri-i-i-ght. It's better, but not solved.

I'm also eager to jump on a $200 Arcade version, but there's new rumor that the holiday season will debut a new Arcade bundle featuring an added Motion controller & 512MB memory card unit. It will be the perfect chance to launch the new Jasper chipset. So it might be prudent to wait a bit more...what do you think?

[quote name='FatBoyInside']I'm also eager to jump on a $200 Arcade version, but there's new rumor that the holiday season will debut a new Arcade bundle featuring an added Motion controller & 512MB memory card unit. It will be the perfect chance to launch the new Jasper chipset. So it might be prudent to wait a bit more...what do you think?[/QUOTE]

I was going to jump on the $200 arcade right when it came out, but now I am going to wait for that new version with the motion ocntroller. Hopefully they will include some good arcade games. Does anyone know when this bundle is going to come out?

I can understand the jasper wait, but how much truth does the motion controller bundle truly hold? I guess time will tell. Also be aware next October/November the 360 has been out for four years and MS's last console only lasted just over four years on the market. I believe the 360 will be out for 6-7 years before their new system anyways but keep that in mind.

65nm CPU + GPU chipset revision to replace the current Falcon 65nm CPU + 90nm GPU.

People are holding out a lot of hope they'll resolve the RROD issues but it's pretty unlikely they actually will.

Smaller chipset will release less heat.....and overheating is believed to be the number one culprit of RROD. I'm also hopeful that the new units might revised the architecture a bit to complement the smaller Jasper chipset with smaller internal fans and a quieter drive to reduce the overall noise output.

bread's done
Back