Radio Shack Clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

badnewsbrown

CAG Veteran
I'm not sure if this is YMMV but my radio is have a good clearance sale.

I just picked up Super Mario Galaxy for 30, LOZ:pH for 15 and a backup DS battery for 5.

There's a bunch of other stuff for sale too so you guys might want to look out for it.

[quote name='kingjojo']but i don't usually see any games for $5[/QUOTE]

That's what this site is for ;)

If they're tagged $50 but people on this site have been reporting getting them for $20, then it's likely $20 when scanned at the register.

[quote name='shoe478']My friend picked up Zelda on the DS for $2.97!!!![/quote]

Shoe, if they have already played it Gamestop is giving $10 base for this (I just did the same thing, except mine cost 5.97), with edge and the current extra $5 for any Wii/DS game - came out to 16 even in credit.

[quote name='kingjojo']but i don't usually see any games for $5[/quote]

Jojo, most of these clearances are YMMV, which means they vary in every store. Best bet is to just go to a radio shack and ask them to check the games you are interested in, since many are ringing up much less than their posted prices.

EDIT- Dangit Josef...always stealing my thunder!

Picked up a Wii Wireless sensor bar for $2.50, and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon EoD for $7.

They had a PSP marked down on clearance too for $165 (the core 2000 unit), so if that drops to $100 and is still there, I'll definitely grab it.

[quote name='Josef']The one I saw for $14.97 was on the 360.[/quote]

The PS2 version is also at this price, along with both versions of Guitar Hero Aerosmith.

One of the Pokemon EOT games for DS dropped to $6.97 while the other one is $17.47 for some strange reason. Also saw Rock Band bundle for $100

I returned my Ninja Gaiden 2 for $19.97 since I got it at CC for $6.99 after BB price match. The clerk promptly snatched it up after I returned it.

I've read a wide variety of things in this thread... some of it confusing. So as a veteran RadioShack Employee how about some information & advice for you all to clear up some confusion.

There are 2 types of RadioShacks: Corporate and Franchise. Most RadioShacks are Corporate stores and exist in Districts, which can vary in size and can be limited to cities or states (generally dependent on the population). Franchises act independently and generally sell most of the items you might find in a corporate store (what items they sell is their discretion). These also tend to be in more rural locations and can often be identified by being part of a larger store or selling non RadioShack items, i.e. major appliance or lawnmowers.

Franchises are not subject to sales and clearances generally but often follow a pattern close to Corporate for ease to the customer and convenience with their inventory.

RadioShacks hire any idiot off the street during the holiday season and gets rid of many of them thereafter, like most retail does. Also most long term employees are knowledgeable of what is sold in their store but this not always the case of course, typically they are more knowledgeable then your average Best Buy or Circuit City employee. When I worked for the company we went through a training program and had to be certified in a specific number of categories which correspond to the types of items sold in the store by a certain date after we were hired or we were let go.

The store's and their employees are very competitive with each other for sales. Often willing to do things for you to make the sale in their store to bump up their commissions (though the practice of commission sales may have ended since I left the company).

Not all RadioShacks sell games, it's a variable stock item, generally mid to high sales stores only (mall stores and stores in high traffic neighborhoods).

If your store sells games make friends with SOMEONE in that store. Here's why...

Within districts all Corporate RadioShacks can do an inter-district search and can locate MOST items they sell. Meaning if your store does not have it but the store across town does, they can tell you so. They can also "order" said item from that store and ship it to their store for FREE. You can pay for the item immediately or when it arrives. WARNING: this is subject to the other store actually shipping the item to your store.

For these searches you will need the inventory number. Which is generally a 5 to 7 digit number with a dash after the second or third number. For example Soul Calibur 4 has an inventory number of 26-1077. These numbers ARE searchable on the RadioShack website, but once it is removed from the online stores inventory you cannot search for it, even to identify if it is at your local store. Therefore if you use the website to identify clearance items or just to keep an eye on a sale item, record the inventory number for later use. If you don't know the inventory number the store employee can look it up by title or item description, if they do so get the inventory number and save it for future use.

Take the inventory number to your local store (or just call) and have them look it up. Also if you have a "friend on the inside" they will often scan their small inventory of games if the store is not busy. Take note of ANY items that end in .97 as these are clearance prices. Occasionally there will be other unusual prices like unusual whole dollar amounts or zeros ($12.00 for a typically $50 game) these are often sales or promotions (and clearances) of items that will not be restocked or will be in stock for a very limited amount of time, sometimes referred to as "Special Purchases".

When an item goes on clearance it is typically a company wide change. Though some districts may be on different price schedules based on sales history and demographics. All stores in a districts will share the sales or clearances. So if something goes on clearance in New York it MIGHT not be on clearance in California but it will be the same price as the store across town (if they are in the same district) and the stores will always match the website, except when there are specific web only/store only sales.

Managers can mark down items but this is frowned upon by Corporate. Often these "Markdowns" are actually very old stock that is wasting space in the back of the store.

Also most stores are responsible for holding onto their inventory and will forever. For Example, items like Zip Zaps and their accessories may be actually be hidden in a box in the back, you just need to ask if they have any. Franchise stores are notorious for shoving unsold stuff in boxes in the back. I cleaned one such store of most of their Zip Zaps and accessories while on a trip though Alabama a few summers ago.

Finally, I don't recommend getting extended warranties from ANY retailer. As these are often just money makers for the retailers that mostly go unused by you the consumer. Though RadioShacks Extended Warranties are typically one of the better warranties available. I only ever tried to sell them to customers on very specific items. Items in which the repair costs would be more than a certain percentage of the original cost of the item, or when the warranty would replace it or components outright (like cellphone batteries).

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to a Radioshack today where I live and looked around for a while and found nothing on clearance. I mentioned it to an employee there and they said they have them all in the back, so he brought them out for me. I got a couple pretty good deals, I think.

NDS - Guitar Hero On Tour $24.97
NDS - Lego Indiana Jones $5.97
PS2 - Madden 09 $11.97

For anyone in eastern Pennsylvania looking for MGS 4 for PS3, the only locations in this region with them in stock are Bethlehem and Easton.

I've already checked the stores in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area and it's a no go here for that game AT ALL.

Just walked out of a radio shack with the following:

Xbox 360 wireless headset - $24.97
Lego Indiana Jones (Xbox 360) - $14.97
Shadow Of The Colossus (PS2) - $5.97

I know there is a Radio Shack Clearance thread, but its not organized very well and I couldnt find anything about the wireless headset being this cheap, so I posted this thread. I hope nobody gets bent out of shape over it.

They had other deals too:

Grand Theft Auto 4 (PS3) - $29.97
Ratchet & Clank TOD (PS3) $19.97
Assassin's Creed (PS3) - $19.97
Nyko Intercooler for Xbox 360 - $3.97
Controllers for Original Xbox - $1.97

If you have not played Shadow of the Colossus...please, for the love of all that is holy, pick it up for $6!

And R&C for $19.99 is pretty good, too.

Good deal but remember that Radioshack has been clearancing gaming for over 2 months. I know my local 4 radioshacks have nothing left of their gaming section.

went to my radioshack when I saw this and got a wireless headset but it was $35.

Ratchet and Clank for PS3 was $20, but I already have it, and Lego Indy was $25.

Happened into the Radio Shack in the Martinsburg Mall, WV. Rockband 1 for the PS3 was 99.99 complete set, no sign of 360 version and I suppose its YMMV.

[quote name='jazz2600']...as a veteran RadioShack Employee how about some information & advice for you all...[/QUOTE]

That was some great information, thanks so much for taking the time to post it! :)

I saw some unusual clearance items at Radio Shack today...

Wii Nunchuk Controller - $16.97
New Super Mario Bros. (DS) - $29.67
Mario Kart DS - $29.67

These are unusual since they are top sellers at most other stores, yet Radio Shack puts them on clearance?

I was looking for the wireless headset for xbox360, and found the wired for 16.97. Not much of a deal, but its better than nothing. (Downtown Cincinnati, YMMV)

[quote name='jazz2600']$19.97 - 2 weeks ago[/quote]

Saw Professor Layton today at a nearby RS for same price, so no drop.

Didn't see any wireless headsets, saw original wired ones for $17 though

[quote name='aznguyen316']Saw Professor Layton today at a nearby RS for same price, so no drop.

Didn't see any wireless headsets, saw original wired ones for $17 though[/quote]

Every damn wireless headset I see is $34.97, and yes I have asked for a scan.

Was back at the Shack tonight. I ordered and paid for Soul Calibur IV to be sent to the store back on 12/26, and it still hasn't arrived from a nearby store.

If the game doesn't arrive, I guess I'll have to take that copy of Call of Duty: World At War, which they have on clearance at $37.99.

I'd prefer the original game, though.

[quote name='Animal7390']i actually saw a few systems on clearance, psp and ps3 and i think a 360[/quote]

I saw a 40GB PS3 for 339.97 last night at a Radio Shack.

Picked up NCAA Football 09(PS3) for $11.97 and Lego Indian Jones(360) for $14.97 at 72nd and Portland ave in Tacoma, WA.

COD:WaW(360) was tagged $42.97 and Wired Controller for 360 for $20.97.

[quote name='jooanyenna']Picked up NCAA Football 09(PS3)[/quote]

Hmmm, I got that for $19.97 before Christmas. I wonder if all the games dropped more.

Yesterday I picked up:

:ds: Guitar Hero: On Tour $18.97
8GB SanDisk Memory Stick Pro Duo $39.99

Saw:
:360: GTA4 $22.97
:ps3: GTA4 $27.97 or $29.97
:ps2: Lego Indiana Jones $14.97
:psp: Hot Shots Gold Open Tee 2 $9.97

Got lucky and found:

iconxbox360.gif
Wireless Headset $24.97
iconds.gif