Radioshack Trade 5 "electronic devices" get min 25$

stoned99

CAGiversary!
Feedback
128 (100%)
I've been watching this promotion for a day or two waiting to see what items qualified for trade

http://www.radioshack.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=24767316&utm_campaign=Bigger_Better_Event&utm_medium=RSCOM&utm_source=HMPG&utm_content=HMPGA1

Trade in 1 qualifying item, get $5 gift card
Trade in 2 qualifying items, get $10 gift card
Trade in 3 qualifying items, get a $15 gift card
Trade in 4 qualifying items, get a $20 gift card
Trade in 5 qualifying items, get a $25 gift card

RULES:
1) Item must be in working condition
2) Customer must present drivers license and store must participate in RadioShack trade and save program
3) Customer must process all applicable trades at one time. Customers cannot trade in one device at store A and then trade in three additional devices at store B.
4) Customers will receive credit off their purchase or a RadioShack gift card, whichever they device.
5) Customers cannot process over five items per drivers license(Not sure how we are tracking that?)

Folks on Fatwallet have been reporting trading all sorts of junk, the easiest being random old headsets. What just caught my eye is the fact it includes video games, so let the games begin.

Apparently not all RadioShacks are participating so make sure to use the store finder on this page

http://www.radioshacktradeandsave.com/online/home/index.rails?enc=MEQZVP0ui+5eEOTewsoVjAEajFfsb5NjSFklWIryrbEvHjnaPiuIIEFkh2t5fcFoGYvsiNNfovyUhX6I/DbcD2UKX1TN40wI1Cc5SErlro6rqVCOwaQ1fnz6JvvQxI3hecVZOQeuUtlziJrZgtL29gtrYkCv4Q2f7xCM6yK1g4Q=

pdf link of the promotion taken from what looks like screen shots of IE

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5-rGI2xT8n_MVlERVBoS19yam8/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to do this but I'm not convinced buying 5 cheap headphones from the Dollar Tree is going to net me a $25 Amazon giftcard.

I'm honestly surprised that RadioShack hasn't gone out of business yet.  Their prices are terrible.  Everything they carry I can get on Amazon/eBay/most any other store that carries the item for less.

"gold plating" on a cable really doesn't make it work THAT much better to justify a $40+ upcharge.

Went into today. Obliviously what you are going to be able to trade in is dependent on individual employees and managers, so this deal is dependent on individual stores. When I went into my store the only sticking point the older gentlemen expressed is that he had to verify that the item powered on or worked. I brought 8 various items to be sure. He took a powered HD TV antenna that I have had for years and got free. He plugged in to verify it worked, however since it is an antenna and had no power light I dont know what he was looking for, but he took it. Next up was like a 10 year thumb drive, he plugged into a computer to verify, 2 for 2. Next he took a random wifi dongle I found, I am not even sure what it was for, but he plugged it in and figured it might work. Next he took 2 old Crappy ps2 games, despite him saying he had to test everything, he couldn't test these but took them. It did take like 15 mintues. My wife goes tomorrow!

3x ATK, 1x Def Jam Rapstar, 1x Truth or Lies, got $25 gift card, turned around and brought $25 kindle card with it, all done in 10 mins.

Got another two $25 gcs today. Much smoother the second time.

I thought their website was decent for games but everything is out of stock.

why is everyone feeding the troll. theres no way he traded in 50 earphones lol. the rep said 1 set of trades per id no exceptions. Also thanks op for great deal was able to get 50 giftcard and even though this is frontpage on cag and slickdeal the rep said we were the first people to take advantage on this deal and the store was empty when we did the trade in.

Okay so I traded on Thursday and got my $25 card.  After reading all these posts, I tried a different store and it was a no go, they had my license in the system.  So once you trade thats it.

I was able to trade in some PS1, PS2, and old PC games without any issue, they just wouldn't let me get a Kindle card.

So after getting rejected yesterday I called the store again today and apparently my radioshack is sticking to the "test items" portion which excludes video games since they don't have systems to test with. I guess I'll go the ear bud route instead....

So after getting rejected yesterday I called the store again today and apparently my radioshack is sticking to the "test items" portion which excludes video games since they don't have systems to test with. I guess I'll go the ear bud route instead....

What is radioshack going to do with all this crap being traded to them?

Most are buying Kindle/amazon cards with the gift card they give you.

They are basically filling a landfill, giving away money, and giving amazon business. How is that beneficial to radioshack?

I took five pairs of white earbuds that came with Ipads at Gamestop. Employee gave me trouble, and argued that earbuds are not the same thing as headphones. :dunce:

Stayed polite, asked him to call the manager, who approved of the trade. The employee manually tested each of the earbuds, then I was out the door with a $25 gift card.

I'll see you again during the liquidation sale in 2015, Radio Shack. 

What is radioshack going to do with all this crap being traded to them?

Most are buying Kindle/amazon cards with the gift card they give you.

They are basically filling a landfill, giving away money, and giving amazon business. How is that beneficial to radioshack?
It's not helpful. Probably even costing them. Truly one of the dumbest promotions I've witnessed. I can't think of a single store that allows you to use a gift card to purchase a gift card for another store.

How else do you think the BBY/GS flippers are operating?
this changes everything for me

Also, how does credit work at GS? I've never traded with them before and I just recently got into the PUR Pro program so I want to start this whole flipping thing between GS and BBY. Do they give you store credit or do they put your credit on a gift card? And can you buy cards with store credit? So many questions and I can probably google it but ya

this changes everything for me

Also, how does credit work at GS? I've never traded with them before and I just recently got into the PUR Pro program so I want to start this whole flipping thing between GS and BBY. Do they give you store credit or do they put your credit on a gift card? And can you buy cards with store credit? So many questions and I can probably google it but ya
Store credit. If you live in an area where store cedit isn't taxed, you won't get taxed. You can buy cards with store credit. Shell gas cards, Amazon Kindle cards, itunes cards.

Did my trade today. 3 junk headphones, junk ps2 game never opened from kmart that was like 50 cents, and old old cd walkman.

First the dude said no video games, but i told him to read the promo. They had some sheet with eligible stuff. Headphones weren't on there, so they had to check the website - they wound up checking each one on the manager's phone that they worked. If I were in his shoes, i wouldn't be putting some random person's used headphones in my ears...lol.

Got my kindle card. If this is still going on later, i might go back with wife if i get some more junk. Not worth going out to buy stuff just for this since it took about 20 mins.

It's not helpful. Probably even costing them. Truly one of the dumbest promotions I've witnessed. I can't think of a single store that allows you to use a gift card to purchase a gift card for another store.
Best Buy did it for me. I traded in two 360s twice in a week during the $100 for a console promotion before the Xbox One came out. I cashed them in the same visit for multiple Amazon gift cards to finish up paying for the X1.

Ahh, okay. Didn't know that. A lot of retailers don't allow it. Still doesn't make sense for Radio Shack to not apply some kind of restriction for this promo, though.
I don't understand why retailers shouldn't accept gift cards to buy gift cards. For example what if you've received 1 as a gift for Christmas and wanted to buy let's say a PSN card or iTunes card, what would be the point of giving 1 out or receiving 1 that you can't use it for whatever it is you want from that particular store?

I don't understand why retailers shouldn't accept gift cards to buy gift cards. For example what if you've received 1 as a gift for Christmas and wanted to buy let's say a PSN card or iTunes card, what would be the point of giving 1 out or receiving 1 that you can't use it for whatever it is you want from that particular store?
Because for the most part gift card margins are smaller than actual merchandise.

Felt kinda bad after doing my trade, took them like 25 minutes and there was no one in the store during that time...
Look at the upside, the next time someone comes in there it will be a little less painless for the employees. They have to learn eventually the key is just being nice and letting them work through the process.
I think the point was that in almost half an hour, not a single person even came into the store. Radio Shack is such a dead-in-the-water business at this point.

There's two things I currently won't resort to doing: dumpster diving and taking advantage of Radio Shack. They're both just too pathetic to feel good about.

The only thing that would make this situation worse is if someone brought 5 pairs of earbuds that were covered in peanut butter (or worse) and made the employee test them out...something I would highly suggest doing when an employee decides to give on-the-fly exclusions to the dumbest promo of the century.

Traded in 5 junk PS2/Xbox games for a $25 Amazon gift card. Score. I was about to throw those games out.

I asked the manager how many people had brought stuff in for the promo, and he said just one guy (but that one guy brought his entire family to trade stuff in). LOL sounds like a CAG or SDer.

I think the point was that in almost half an hour, not a single person even came into the store. Radio Shack is such a dead-in-the-water business at this point.

There's two things I currently won't resort to doing: dumpster diving and taking advantage of Radio Shack. They're both just too pathetic to feel good about.

The only thing that would make this situation worse is if someone brought 5 pairs of earbuds that were covered in peanut butter (or worse) and made the employee test them out...something I would highly suggest doing when an employee decides to give on-the-fly exclusions to the dumbest promo of the century.
I agree with you on the dumpster diving thing, but I'm all for kicking a stupid company while it's down.

Ive seen people say earbud headphones work, but what about something like an xbox 360 headset or an old logitech headset or even desktop microphones?

At this point, I think it's almost a challenge to see what doesn't get accepted.

Sometime this week I'm going to take that challenge. Going in with a cassette tape player, crusty headphones, demo discs and sack of oranges.

At this point, I think it's almost a challenge to see what doesn't get accepted.

Sometime this week I'm going to take that challenge. Going in with a cassette tape player, crusty headphones, demo discs and sack of oranges.
I think I'm going to try too my dad is in IT and theres always boxes of random computer accessories being given away so I have useless microphones, old headsets for like windows 95 and other crap worth a try I guess.

Radioshack is accepting basically anything and everything. I doubt they are trying to sell a lot of these used products. What I am hoping is that they are recycling the products and getting some sort of tax deduction. Why else would they accept a floppy disk drive? If anything we may be helping Radioshack.

It definitely goes by driver license id, however, if you have a college id and a cashier inputs it into the drivers id column you get another round. I also went to two seperate radioshacks that one permitted putting the balance on a gift card, and using the giftcard to redeem amazon credit.

The reason they do dumb promotions like this is just to get people in the store and hope they can sell them a cell phone plan or a $50 HDMI cable or whatever overpriced bullshit they sell.

The store I went to wasn't on the list, but I called them and they said they were participating, and they were taking games. I went in and it was a young guy working. He knew all about the promotion and was cool as hell about it. I gave them:

An old USB PC controller (FREE)
A wireless PS2 controller without the receiver (.99)
A generic original Xbox controller (FREE)
A portable speaker (.99)
Tiger Woods 2005 for Xbox in blank case (FREE)

It took no more than 5 minutes. I used the gift card to buy a $25 Xbox card.

I can't believe this is real...but it is!

My fiance went today and had no issues.  She traded in 2x OG Xbox sports games and 3x disc-only PS1 junk games and it took only 5 minutes or so.

We didn't bother pushing the Amazon card thing, with either of our GCs, but I'm going to run into another RS in a bit and try to grab a $50 with both of our GCs.

Did my trade today. 3 junk headphones, junk ps2 game never opened from kmart that was like 50 cents, and old old cd walkman.

First the dude said no video games, but i told him to read the promo. They had some sheet with eligible stuff. Headphones weren't on there, so they had to check the website - they wound up checking each one on the manager's phone that they worked. If I were in his shoes, i wouldn't be putting some random person's used headphones in my ears...lol.
Especially Pooky's. Sooooooo nasty

Damn, some of you guys are trading in stuff with actual value, especially when there are cheap pickings all over (two cent PS2 games at Gamestop, which, at 75% off clearance, ring up for half a penny/free...just find a Gamestop with a lot of PS2 games still in stock, have them print out a full PS2 inventory list, and have them pull all of the games that show a price of $.02)

Too bad I already got rid of all my demo discs and crap games during the Target "$20 off any game for trading in 2 'games' deal" a bit over a year ago.  

Has anyone traded in DVDs?  I might still have a couple of promo discs, VCDs/bootlegs, etc.  I'm sure I can scrounge up some electronic garbage in any case...

Damn, some of you guys are trading in stuff with actual value, especially when there are cheap pickings all over (two cent PS2 games at Gamestop, which, at 75% off clearance, ring up for half a penny/free...just find a Gamestop with a lot of PS2 games still in stock, have them print out a full PS2 inventory list, and have them pull all of the games that show a price of $.02)

Too bad I already got rid of all my demo discs and crap games during the Target "$20 off any game for trading in 2 'games' deal" a bit over a year ago.

Has anyone traded in DVDs? I might still have a couple of promo discs, VCDs/bootlegs, etc. I'm sure I can scrounge up some electronic garbage in any case...
lol it's only 5 items...most are just scrounging at home vs an additional store (GS) stop...

unless you are taking the family...

I found 10 items in less than 5 minutes and wish I had more friends/family close to take in! lol

o_O Haven't seen one of those since I hit puberty.
FLOL, I'm not sure I even have any VCDs left either, I think I purged all the DVD promos, bootleggs, VCDs etc. during the early days of Best Buy DVD trade n save $5. I do plan to just scrounge around the house, but I always try to get rid of least valuable crap first and can't imagine many things worth less than those!

bread's done
Back