FurryCurry

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
ref=dp_otherviews_1

51lOq-MsoJL._AA280_.jpg

Raiden IV LE Contents:

• Raiden IV the game
  • An exclusive soundtrack along which includes remixes from INH (Insanity Naked Hunter) composers Go Sato and Akira Sato.

http://www.amazon.com/Raiden-IV-Lim..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1251578723&sr=1-1

SO I go to Amazon and see that it says "Raiden IV Limited Edition" and has a picture of the soundtrack disc with it. Yes. I get to burn Gamestop again. Too bad the game has been delayed till OCTOBER 18th. *sigh* So after Amazon's discounted price of $36.99 I used a $5 general credit that Amazon gave me since they didn't give me my $5 mp3 credit. And then $3.70 because of my ECA membership. Comes out to $28.29. Consider my support pledged!

I will note that Gamestop preorders get a special bonus:

Reserve Raiden IV and receive a GameStop exclusive PDF art book entitled Raiden IV Secret File. This exclusive PDF art book includes includes player ship specifications, enemy combat data, strategies for the game, and concept art.

Online / In-Store Customers:A link to the GameStop exclusive PDF art book will come packaged with the game.

But you are paying full price + tax for something that will probably be free to find online later. :whistle2:/

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']First, it's $3 off the retail -- it's not like this is that big of a deal in the first place.

Second, the prior Raiden Fighters comp gave you 3 games for $20. This is 1 game for $40 (or $37).

IMO the price is definitely too high, it's definitely a valid complaint to make for what they are delivering in this release.[/QUOTE] Beyond the points FurryCurry made, this is also a different publisher with a different set of production costs to cover.

While I can see where you're coming from, I have to wonder if the same people take issue with Metroid: Other M $40-$50 when the Metroid Prime Trilogy will cost the same. I don't remember anyone particularly upset when GTA IV came out and the previous three GTA as a collection could be had for half of its price.

[quote name='yayece']Dangit. I just got an email from Amazon saying the release date was delayed until Oct 27. :([/QUOTE]

Me too. Does anyone know what the deal is? Gamestop actually just moved the release date up to September 3rd. Other on-line retailers are still showing September 8th or 9th. Why is Amazon getting their copies almost two months later?

I've read a few Japanese reviews stating IV was inferior to the quality of release that RFA was. 37 doesn't seem like a bad deal, but I'll pass on it for now...

BTW for anyone that cares, bloggers that attended CAVE's mini shmup event this week posted some interesting tidbits of info from the convention, including the fact that they'll be talking with an American publisher for a US release of Death Smiles. I doubt the talented reviewers (/sarcasm) of the gaming press'll be able to dig any deeper than take pot shots at the character art, but it's great news nonetheless.

for those that can read Japanese, it's Poster 718 from the shmup thread on 2ch GHard.
http://ghardknow.blog105.fc2.com/blog-entry-6386.html

[quote name='bojay1997']Me too. Does anyone know what the deal is? Gamestop actually just moved the release date up to September 3rd. Other on-line retailers are still showing September 8th or 9th. Why is Amazon getting their copies almost two months later?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='muumuu']I've read a few Japanese reviews stating IV was inferior to the quality of release that RFA was. 37 doesn't seem like a bad deal, but I'll pass on it for now...

[/QUOTE]

I read somewhere the game's bugs and whatnot are being ironed out. I really hope that it's not that bad :whistle2:( But I would have never expected it to have the many many options that RFA did. I just want whatever is there and for it to work.

Does anyone have an inkling on how limited its release will be?

I doubt there will be a separate NA release without the soundtrack since America's interest in shmups died with the 4th gen consoles. I don't want to miss out on this one waiting for it to drop in price.

Btw, there is a tate mode in the Japanese version; I don't see why the NA port wouldn't have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Easy Reader']Does anyone have an inkling on how limited its release will be?[/QUOTE] If that's ever known, it won't be until the game's been released. It should be on par w/ RFA where it's difficult, but not impossible to find in B&M stores. Online you should have next to no problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='phantomfriar2002']it doesn't change the fact it's still $40 for one shmup. It's still too much.[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? Shmups have HIGHER replay value than pretty much any other single-player game you can buy.

I have had virtually no free time over the last few months...if that wasn't the case, I'd have played Raiden Fighters Aces a hell of a lot more than the 15-20 hours I've put in so far...and I haven't yet finished ANY of the games on default difficulty. Getting closer on RF1 but still a ways off, need a lot of practice on Jet, and I've barely touched RF2. In total, I will probably get 80-100 hours out of RFA.

By comparison, the Gears of War campaigns each took 5-10 hours to complete. Yes, the multiplayer goes on a lot longer and the games are phenomenal, but you just get a heck of a lot more single-player replay value out of RFA. I would have paid $60 easily for it.

And I will pay full price for Raiden IV. $40 is an absolutely fair and affordable price for a brand-new shmup, as long as the buyer enjoys shmups and can play them the way they were meant to be played. Obviously, credit-feeding losers with no skill will not get $40 worth of playtime out of it.

Hearing that Deathsmiles might be localized is great news! I would pay full price for any Cave game released here regardless of which it is, and I know I'm not the only one. Let's see Futari come over here with tough-as-nails Achievements...let's show those stupid Achievement whores and "WHY ISN'T THIS ON XBLA" jerks what true skill means!!

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']As much of an ass as you are, I actually appreciate the pricing lesson, but it doesn't change the fact it's still $40 for one shmup. It's still too much. And sorry, I'm not going to be quiet about complaining I'm not getting enough for my money. This IS CAG, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

That's just fine except you haven't spent any money. You're just bitching for the sake of bitching and it's fucking obnoxious.

Same here, Greyzie. :)

I also went ahead and bought Raiden Fighters Aces with ECA for $17.99 shipped. I waited too long on that one already.

[quote name='TerraBemani']http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75342 Looks like it's out tomorrow according to gamestop.com? And they had a 9/8/2009 ship date on this not too long ago. Werid. Same stuff happened with Raiden Fighter Aces too.[/QUOTE]

Not sure how much I trust that. Muramasa was also set to ship 9/3. Today it was updated to "Now shipping" but Raiden still has the same "ships on 9/3" text. I preordered, so I guess when they call tonight I'll know how accurate they expect that to be.

I'm pretty sure it got delayed. As long as it comes out sometime this year I'll be happy.

[quote name='FurryCurry']Hmm. But I read on Kotaku that it got delayed.[/QUOTE]

I think you guys are confused, the only articles I've seen about it being delayed are about the japanese 360 release from last year which was delayed to October of 08. Nothing about a US delay. Unless I just missed it.

They already have DLC for this title up on Xbox Live and nobody has the game yet. At first I thought it was just themes or pictures but it's actually ships for the game.

[quote name='Regian']GameStop now shipping.[/QUOTE]

Did you get a confirmation for your order or are you just saying that because their site says in stock? I only ask because according to their store stock locator, none of their stores has it in stock which is usually a sign of a problem.

I just got an automated call from GS telling me my preorder should be avaliable to pick up tomorrow afternoon. Of course, even if I pick it up tomorrow, I won't be playing it that evening as the wife will be deeply entrenched in Rock Band Beatles.

[quote name='Captain Wrong']I just got an automated call from GS telling me my preorder should be avaliable to pick up tomorrow afternoon. Of course, even if I pick it up tomorrow, I won't be playing it that evening as the wife will be deeply entrenched in Rock Band Beatles.[/QUOTE]

Got my call, too.

Nice! I'm happy that its finally out. I'll go to my local gamestop tomorrow and hopefully they'll have a copy.

[quote name='TerraBemani']Yeah the game is out. Just got my copy today.

107_1122Edit.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Wow, so there is no limited edition or Gamestop logo on the outside of the case? Is there any way to tell if the soundtrack is included just from the packaging?

The sticker saying it's limited edition and such is on the wrapping for the game itself. I just stuck that sticker inside the case behind the booklet. The pdf is a download off there website. There's a password key on the front of the soundtrack disk itself so you can download it from the official site. It's called "RaidenIV_SecretFile" and is 22.5MB with 29 pages.

Here's a direct download of the digital artbook: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AZ9109UI

[quote name='TerraBemani']The sticker saying it's limited edition and such is on the wrapping for the game itself. I just stuck that sticker inside the case behind the booklet. The pdf is a download off there website. There's a password key on the front of the soundtrack disk itself so you can download it from the official site. It's called "RaidenIV_SecretFile" and is 22.5MB with 29 pages.

Here's a direct download of the digital artbook: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AZ9109UI[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link.

Just got back from my local Gamestop with my copy of Raiden IV. They got only two copies in, but I'm glad I got myself a copy.

The price for Raiden IV is very reasonable and I had no problem with paying that much when I got mine today. I've already played it for 2-3 hours at least and I already felt like I got my money's worth and I ain't done with it yet, not by a long shot. Back in my prime, shmups were the talk of the town and easily went for full price ($50+) with no complaints. I have no problem with paying full price for a current gen shmup so $30-$40 is a steal. I just wish there were more shmups on XBLA besides just Triggerheart Exelica, Omega Five, Ikaruga, etc. There's a decent selection but there just isn't enough of them. Shmups would fit the perfect profile of a typical XBLA game.

I'm still waiting on Radiant Silvergun (#1 shmup in history), I wish they would just do a straight port of the game but I guess that's just not good enough for some. I'm dying to play it again but I'd rather not pay the outrageous prices that people are asking for it on eBay. Dodonpachi is another one that would be nice to see on XBLA, imagine the leaderboard activity for that.

Anyone received any kind of shipping notification from Amazon? Still showing estimated shipping date of Nov 2nd for me.

I picked this up yesterday from Gamestop in Lakeline Plaza. They had at least 2 copies, 1 gutted.

I'm enjoying it but I think I should've waited for used.

Cons:
* I do not like the art direction. It's not terrible, per se, but it isn't up to par with earlier Raidens imho.
* Music is a little cheesy.
* Levels and enemies are not very inventive.
* "repeat the levels, only harder and with different lighting!" before the last boss is so incredibly, unbelievably lame.
* Animation on some of the enemies (the walkers in particular) is weak.

Pros:
* Graphics are good to great.
* Core gameplay is good.
* Surprisingly managable even when loads of bullets are flying.
* Reflective mirror ball boss is really cool looking.

I haven't got a feel for any of the metagame aspects of it yet but so far the gameplay is not as fun as RFA to me.

I may have to try and get this game at a Gamestop in my area. I'm itching for some Raiden right now.

[quote name='Traitorious']Anyone received any kind of shipping notification from Amazon? Still showing estimated shipping date of Nov 2nd for me.[/QUOTE]

Same here. They keep pushing it back. I cancelled and ordered from GS. Buy.com has it too, but same price as GS which has more stuff.

[quote name='x1Bocephus1x']Same here. They keep pushing it back. I cancelled and ordered from GS. Buy.com has it too, but same price as GS which has more stuff.[/QUOTE]
Think I'm gonna give Amazon another week. After that, I guess I'll have to go to GS :drool:

Just picked it up at Best Buy, was very surprised to see it there. They had a few copies! Now I just gotta fix this disc drive on this free 360 I got.

[quote name='Diebythesword']Just picked it up at Best Buy, was very surprised to see it there. They had a few copies! Now I just gotta fix this disc drive on this free 360 I got.[/QUOTE]

I also saw it at two Best Buys today. Each store had like 10 copies which made me kinda upset that my Amazon order still hasn't shipped and confirms that this isn't a limited release at all.

LOL, I laugh at all the people in here who say there is no value in the price of this game. Hell up until 2007 when they stopped making them in 2007, I was preordering all the the SHMUPS that came out for dreamcast. And those were usually 60 bucks, or 70 for the LE. I just bought Last Hope: Pink Bullets for dreamcast that came out this month for 40 bucks. SHMUPS have greater replay value than most games you buy no adays.

bread's done
Back