Rakuten (buy.com) 24 Month XBL GOLD $54.98 | 4000 MSP $37.22 FS (after promo code)

xbox live been on sale so much lately i dont think it will work or it will be free on next xbox but good deal 27.50 / yr if you're still going to play 360 games online when next xbox is out

If it's cheap now, it's probably because Microsoft wants people to buy enough membership to last until 2016, then poof, you buy an Xbox 720 and they've got you for the next generation.

I don't think Microsoft is going to isolate itself from the competitors and abandon backwards compatibility on "720." If anything these sales could be a clever ploy to give them a more favorable standing with players to seduce them to buy "720"... or in regards to the subscriptions, maybe they figure if people buy a year or two now, they'll just buy the "720" because they know they already have gold access.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']^ Ratuken bought Buy.com and is apparently a big Japanese company.[/QUOTE]

Totally stupid to change the name. Buy.com is an amazing domain to have.

They didn't change their name, Rakuten bought Buy.com (methinks they took the website's name a bit too literally).

From 2 seconds of Googling, it seems that Rakuten is Amazonian big in Japan. Kaiju Pacific Rim Job big...

Great price on the points, but I don't think anyone should buy excess Gold subs until we know what's really going on.

[quote name='Kerig']They didn't change their name, Rakuten bought Buy.com (methinks they took the website's name a bit too literally).

From 2 seconds of Googling, it seems that Rakuten is Amazonian big in Japan. Kaiju Pacific Rim Job big...

Great price on the points, but I don't think anyone should buy excess Gold subs until we know what's really going on.[/QUOTE]

What I mean is- Buy.com just straight redirects to Rakuten without any masking. It's good for the Japanese buyers, but for American buyers it's hard to remember "Rakuten." Much better marketing to just be like "yeah you want to buy something? Go to buy.com."

Buy.com have some of the worst CS and system that I have seen, don't know if they cleaned it up now. They do not regulate their third party sellers at all, I have bought both CDs and games that arrived as bootleg copies.

This is not the deal I was expecting when I came into this thread. I was about to be all over some points cards at that price but there isn't a deal on the card. Besides that, so many of us have already made purchases from buy.com in the past that this deal does not apply to the masses.

[quote name='TooPoor']Buy.com have some of the worst CS and system that I have seen, don't know if they cleaned it up now. They do not regulate their third party sellers at all, I have bought both CDs and games that arrived as bootleg copies.[/QUOTE]

Worse yet, in the open-letter about the transition to Rakuten, they made it pretty clear that the emphasis is greatly focused on third-party sellers, and if what I've seen is any indicator, it seems like the majority of their inventory is no longer their own, blegh.

[quote name='Sanges99']Worse yet, in the open-letter about the transition to Rakuten, they made it pretty clear that the emphasis is greatly focused on third-party sellers, and if what I've seen is any indicator, it seems like the majority of their inventory is no longer their own, blegh.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like an 'avoid' to me.

[quote name='sonnyforple']Coupon is only taking off $10 and there were shipping charges. The website is impossible to search as well.[/QUOTE]

The 4k points are sold out from buy.com, what you're seeing is from TigerDirect. The thought of buying from TigerDirect through Rakuten gives me goosebumps.

I'm still not entirely sure what's going on here, their website logo clearly states:
logo_rakutenshopping_form.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='B1oShock']If it's cheap now, it's probably because Microsoft wants people to buy enough membership to last until 2016, then poof, you buy an Xbox 720 and they've got you for the next generation.[/QUOTE]ding ding ding, no new stuff for x360 coming out, you have 10000 pts and 5 years banked, what do you do, buy 720

A 1600 point card is $19.99 + $6.18 shipping from Buy.com, or $22.31 + $2.68 shipping from the cheapest third party.

I think I've bought from Buy.com twice since I had a problem with them dating back to the Dreamcast era. I won't miss any change in format.

You have to go all the way through the payment option (I used paypal) and then it redirects back to there site before you finally place the order.

There is a $5 shipping charge though so it makes it $60... not much cheaper than normal.

[quote name='wuxbustah8']You have to go all the way through the payment option (I used paypal) and then it redirects back to there site before you finally place the order.

There is a $5 shipping charge though so it makes it $60... not much cheaper than normal.[/QUOTE]

24 Month XBL GOLD $54.98

So the code is for new customers only, then? Is that new to Rakuten, or new to the Buy.com/Rakuten site? I've bought from them back when they were still Buy.com

Read on SD (and I updated it here on our "watercooler" Points & Subscriptions thread) a new code GET20CE, I believe you have to buy from a third-party though. Picked up a 15ft HDMI cable for filler & a 4000 pt card for $35, woot woot. Proof: [hiddenlist]
picture.php
[/hiddenlist]

Tiger Direct sold out of the 4000 points cards, and the rest of the 3rd party sellers prices kill the deal. Buying the points card shipped from and sold by buy.com doesn't qualify for the discount code.

The code I saw was for $20 off $50... Just used one for a 16GB Vita card (my ATT order was cancelled). Strange thing is that the code appears to be for 3rd party sellers via Rakuten.

[quote name='doodofdoods']Huh, buy.com used to have free shipping. What's the deal, stingy japanese company?[/QUOTE]

Many of the items I saw SOLD BY Buy.com did have free shipping. Unfortunately, this deal/code only works with 3rd party sellers via Rakuten/Buy.

Buy.com said Rakuten right below the logo for about a year or two before changing fully over. They even implemented Rakuten Points on buy.com in 2010 too. Shouldn't be that much of a surprise.

But I really think they should of just stuck with buy.com in the states.

[quote name='DeathDream']Buy.com said Rakuten right below the logo for about a year or two before changing fully over. They even implemented Rakuten Points on buy.com in 2010 too. Shouldn't be that much of a surprise.

But I really think they should of just stuck with buy.com in the states.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but for now Buy.com still exists as a redirect, so there's that consolation.
I think I totally blocked-out that it did used to say Rakuten as part of the logo, the points on the otherhand I never had use for with how rarely I'd buy something so that's not a surprise that their rewards never sunk-in.

bread's done
Back