Rank the Zeldas

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
I've been playing through all of the Zelda games in the past 2 months (I only have OoT, MM and WW to go) and I can't decide which game I like the best in the series. Anyway, here's my list (subject to change in 5 minutes):

- A Link To The Past
- Ocarina of Time
- Wind Waker
- Oracle of Ages
- Oracle of Seasons
- Link's Awakening
- The Legend of Zelda
- The Adventure of Link
- Majora's Mask
- Twilight Princess
- The Minish Cap
- Phantom Hourglass

I'm not counting 4 Swords or the CDI games or Link's Crossbow Training or any other game that isn't a "standard" game.

I noticed something when making the list - with the exception of Wind Waker, the games are getting worse, IMO.

- A Link To The Past
- Ocarina of Time
- Twilight Princess
- Wind Waker
- Oracle of Ages (never finished Seasons, stopped about half way through and never got back to it)
- Link's Awakening
- Majora's Mask
- The Minish Cap
- The Adventure of Link
- The Legend of Zelda (missed it back in the day and just could never get into it)
- Phantom Hourglass (hated the touch controls and the Ocean King Temple)

My order would probably be...

- Ocarina of Time
- A Link to the Past
- Wind Waker
- Majora's Mask
- Twilight Princess
- Link's Awakening
- Legend of Zelda
- Minish Cap
- Oracle Games
- Phantom Hourglass
- Adventure of Link

Glad to see another WW lover besides me. I also rank MM high because it's probably the most dark and twisted Zelda game and works out well.

- A Link to the Past
- Oracle of Ages/Seasons
- Link's Awakening
- Phantom Hourglass
- Legend of Zelda
- Minish Cap
- Adventure of Link

Unfortunately, I havent been able to play any of the 3D Zelda's due to my general distaste of 3D adventure games.

Isnt the design in Twilight Princess supposed to be very close to that of Ocarina of Time? Why it would be so much lower?

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I'snt the design in Twilight Princess supposed to be very close to that of Ocarina of Time? Why it would be so much lower?[/QUOTE]

I always wonder that of people who loved Ocarina but rank Twilight Princess much lower. TP is nearly as good IMO. Lots of dungeons, long game, decent story for a Zelda game. I beat it at around 45 hours, and ended up around 55 and still hadn't done everything.

I think some people just knock it for being so similar to OoT.

-Link to the Past
-Wind Waker
-The Legend of Zelda
-Ocarina of Time
-Link's Awakening
-Majora's Mask
-Minish Cap
-Twilight Princess
-Four Swords
-Adventure of Link
-Phantom Hourglass

Ocarina of Time
Link to the Past
Link's Awakening
Legend of Zelda
Majora's Mask
Wind Waker
Twilight Princess
Adventures of Link

I haven't played the other GBC/GBA/DS games.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I think some people just knock it for being so similar to OoT.[/quote]

I think this is exactly the reason. TP is a really good game but I didn't feel like it offered anything new. I just kind of played it to play it but there aren't any stand out "wow" moments that I'll remember in 10 years. The overworld was also too large with not enough going on. Imagine the possibilities of a Zelda set in a world as packed as Oblivion... :drool:

- A Link To The Past
- Wind Waker
- Oracle of Ages/Oracle of Seasons
- Majora's Mask
- Link's Awakening
- The Minish Cap
- Ocarina of Time
- Twilight Princess
- Phantom Hourglass
-The Adventure of Link
- The Legend of Zelda

- Ocarina of Time
- Twilight Princess
- Phantom Hourglass
- Majora's Mask
- Wind Waker
- A Link To The Past
- The Legend of Zelda
- The Minish Cap
- The Adventure of Link

[quote name='javeryh']I think this is exactly the reason. TP is a really good game but I didn't feel like it offered anything new. I just kind of played it to play it but there aren't any stand out "wow" moments that I'll remember in 10 years. The overworld was also too large with not enough going on. Imagine the possibilities of a Zelda set in a world as packed as Oblivion... :drool:[/QUOTE]

i've always thought about something like that for Zelda, since the wii and the original xbox are similar in power, it could be like morrowind, but then again it wouldn't be a zelda anymore

My list best to worst...

Zelda 64
Link to the Past
Link's Awakening (DX)
Zelda 1
Zelda 2

I never really liked any of the other games. I enjoyed Wind Waker, but I don't think it really belongs on my list. The Triforce quest in that game was absolute garbage, and if it wasn't for Action Replay, I would have never gotten to the awesome ending. But I replayed it and found much of the game annoying. The end was the best part, but I didn't really care to ever touch it again.

The Oracle games didn't do much for me. I got them both on launch day and got bored with them before too long. They were like bizarro universe versions of Link's Awakening. I should have liked them, but I couldn't bring myself to care about them.

I didn't like Majora's Mask right from the start, and I don't care if I ever lay a finger on that game ever again. I give them credit for making what was probably the last truly original Zelda game (despite the borrowed graphics and basic gameplay), but I really did not like it at all.

The last straw that broke the camel's back for me was Twilight Princess. That game was just so depressing to play. It was more of the same with extra fellation of the Zelda 64 fans. I swore off newer Zelda games after that travesty.

It's amazing how Nintendo hasn't been able to get it right since Zelda 64. Maybe it's because Zelda was more special back then. It was such a long wait between Link's Awakening and Zelda 64. Now they come out semi-often. They're also lacking differentiation. After 1998, Zelda games have wreaked of "been there, done that" gameplay. It just isn't exciting anymore.

What would get me in the mood for a new Zelda game would be if they moved it up to modern times, made Link a young teenager in school, and tried a lot of other new things. No more of the tired hookshot. Give us a bit more of an action slant. Make the storyline something completely contemporary. Don't rip this new Link out of this timeline and plant him back in woods and dungeons. I want him to explore suburban areas and enter a variety of large buildings as modern day dungeons. That would be awesome!

Gotta go with:

- A Link to the Past
- The Legend of Zelda
- Wind Waker
- Minish Cap
- Link's Awakening
- Adventure of Link
- Ocarina of Time
- Twilight Princess

I still haven't played Phantom Hourglass, sadly, but I'm really looking forward to it since it looks like the cartoony Wind Waker style (which I loved) and 2D gameplay. Sprites would be ideal, but at least it's not GRITTY TWILIGHT LINK RARGH.

Haven't played them all.. but:

A Link to the Past (far and away.. very fond memories of this game)
OoT
Link's Awakening
Twilight Princess
Majora's Mask

[quote name='javeryh']I think this is exactly the reason. TP is a really good game but I didn't feel like it offered anything new. I just kind of played it to play it but there aren't any stand out "wow" moments that I'll remember in 10 years. The overworld was also too large with not enough going on. Imagine the possibilities of a Zelda set in a world as packed as Oblivion... :drool:[/QUOTE]

I can see the gripe I guess. But it's really true of all the Nintendo franchises. There just hasn't been much innovation there, other than going from 2D to 3D.

Don't get me wrong, I still like Mario, Metroid and Zelda games, but they are very samey. I'm not going to re-buy the Wii if any sequels come out, despite loving the first round of the franchises on the Wii. They were good, but all had a "been there, done that" feel. Not a huge flaw for me as a great game is a great game, but it does make it easier to miss out on them.

I guess my list so far would be:
Twilight Princess
A Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
Oracle of Ages/Seasons
Majora's Mask
Legend of Zelda
Zelda II

I rated Zelda II lowest because I just never liked the side-scrolling game play; it just didn't feel right for Zelda. Also I never had a Gamecube or DS so I couldn't play those. I'll play the other ones when I have a chance, and when I get a DS (soon).

Really Twilight Princess up to the Oracles are pretty much tied for first for me - it's hard to rate such great games as the Zelda series.

[quote name='javeryh'] I think this is exactly the reason. TP is a really good game but I didn't feel like it offered anything new. I just kind of played it to play it but there aren't any stand out "wow" moments that I'll remember in 10 years. The overworld was also too large with not enough going on. Imagine the possibilities of a Zelda set in a world as packed as Oblivion... :drool: [/QUOTE]

Now I think this is the reason I loved TP. When I played that game it was the first Zelda game that I (seriously) played through. It seems that TP has brought together all the great individual elements from past games and put it together into one awesome-super-game; the dark/light worlds from ALTTP, the atmospheres of OoT and MM, etc..
I suppose when most gamers played this game it seemed like Nintendo was just recycling stuff from old games that they already saw, and these people were looking for something new. But when someone like me, who is new to the Zelda franchise, plays it - they see an exceptional game with everything they could have wished for (ok maybe the world could have been bigger, but I doubt that would be possible on the Wii :whistle2:k).

Of the ones that I've played (starting on Minish Cap soonish)...

8. Zelda II (there's a lot to like, but as I recall, slow text was fucking slow)
7. Majora's Mask
6. Original Zelda
5. Twilight Princess (a lot of little flaws)
4. Link to the Past
3. Ocarina of Time
2. Link's Awakening (My first Zelda)
1. Wind Waker

Haven't played Seasons or Ages...

1. Link to the Past
2. Wind Waker
3. Link's Awakening
4. Minish Cap
5. Legend of
6. Twilight Princess
7. Ocarina of Time
8. Majora's Mask
9. Adventure of Link
1000. Thos CD-i crap games (I've actually played them)

These two were the best IMO.

A Link to the Past
Link's Awakening DX

I didn't like the N64 ones at all and I haven't played any of the Cube games.

1. Link to the Past (Spent countless hours playing this)
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Minish Cap
4. Twilight Princess
5. Zelda II (I really could not get into this game)

Never played the rest of them.

Mmm, Zelda~

I love all the ones I've played so far, but my here's my list, from least favorite to favorite (the ones with "*" on them means I haven't beaten it yet):

8. Adventure of Link* (I REALLY wanna beat it though)
7. Twilight Princess*
6. Oracle of Ages/Seasons
5. Link to the Past
4. Ocarina of Time
3. Wind Waker*
2. Link's Awakening DX
1. Majora's Mask

Been meaning to play Minish Cap and finish the first Zelda, as well as Four Swords!

1: Link to the Past
-This game was awesome. It started out with a classic, thrilling jailbreak. I loved it when they threw you out of the sanctuary and there was just a wide world for you to go out and explore. I loved how the town really felt like a town, with its warm relaxing music and perfectly written dialogue. I got chills when I finally got to draw the Master Sword, and when they kidnapped my honey, Zelda. A splendid game, definitely tops on the Zelda list if not my ultimate top 10 list.

2: Link's Awakening
-This game was just fun. I spent so much time fishing. It was goofy and relaxing but still challenging. Great experience for a game.

3: The Legend of Zelda
-For nostalgia's sake. I really enjoyed this game, the bosses and minibosses were quite clever for their time and it still is kinda difficult.

4: The Adventure of Link
-I liked this game back then too, and I still do. Man, it was so tough trying to get the hammer. Even though it plays completely different from a typical Zelda, I still liked the RPG elements and just how fun it was to explore things.

After here it gets a little fuzzy. I hardly remember any of the other games.

5: Majora's Mask
-I just remember it was really original and offered a new perspective on gameplay. I enjoyed that.

6: Wind Waker
-Loved the art direction but sailing took a long time and I didn't finish it.

7: Minish Cap
-Don't remember a single thing about this game, but I do remember beating it and enjoying it.

8: Oracle of Ages / Seasons
-Hardly remember anything, other than the fact that I beat Ages and didn't wanna play through Seasons to fight the super ultimate boss.

9: Ocarina of Time
-I got bored of this pretty fast. I don't even remember playing past the kid stage. Actually I remember just telling my brother to beat it for me near the end.

10: Phantom Hourglass
-Couldn't stand the control scheme, didn't beat it.

Still have yet to play Twilight Princess, but I don't think it'll rank anywhere in my top 5.

Of the ones I've played (star denotes didn't beat)
Majora's Mask
OOT
LTTP*
Wind Waker* (quit at the triforce gathering. fuck that.)
TP
PH

Zelda II: Adventure of Link
Majora's Mask
Ocarina of Time
Legend of Zelda
Link to the Past
Link's Awakening
Wind Waker
Minish Cap
Oracle/Ages (haven't finished these, might go higher or lower)
Phantom Hourglass
Twilight Princess

1 Ocarina of Time
2 Twilight Princess
3 Wind Waker
4 Oracle of Ages
5 Oracle of Seasons
6 Phantom Hourglass
7 A Link To The Past
8 Link's Awakening
9 Majora's Mask

Of the ones I've played, Majora's Mask was the worst. There was something off about the whole game.

Tough call between OoT and Twilight Princess for first, but I"ll give it to OoT on principle.

OoT is a very unique game for me in that in most games, it might be really great, but there's that one thing/section/area that is boring/sucks/tedious. OoT doesn't have that one thing.

The newer 2D Zelda games are so much better than the older ones.

WW
ALttP
MC
OoT (LttP, but with worse graphics)
LA
FSA
LoZ
FS

Haven't played the rest. I have played MM, but I played it so fucking long ago I couldn't get into like the first dungeon. :roll:

Favorite to Least:
Ocarina of Time
Link's Awakening & DX
Minish Cap
Wind Waker
Majora's Mask (this took a little time to get into, but once I figured out how to beat the 3 day clock, it was good)
4 Swords
The Legend of Zelda
Oracle of Seasons
Phantom Hourglass (I hate this game. This is the ONLY game that I've had to extensively cheat to beat)

Thinking about using my last 1000 points to get Link to the Past on VC...

Link's Awakening/LADX
Four Swords (GBA)
Majora's Mask
Wind Waker
Link to the Past
Four Swords Adventures
Minish Cap
Oracle of Seasons
Phantom Hourglass
Ocarina of Time
Twilight Princess (Wii or GCN)
Oracle of Ages
Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: Adventure of Link

I've only played two of them - the first two, but I'm shocked by the lack of love for the original Zelda, I highly doubt it should be lower than 2nd or 3rd on any list. Add the gold cartridge to that and it should be an instant number 1 (who doesn't love video game bling).

Zelda 2 on the other hand is one of the worst games I have ever played

[quote name='happy']I've only played two of them - the first two, but I'm shocked by the lack of love for the original Zelda, I highly doubt it should be lower than 2nd or 3rd on any list. Add the gold cartridge to that and it should be an instant number 1 (who doesn't love video game bling).
[/quote]

You would understand if you played Link to the Past... while Legend of is awesome, LttP makes it look like crap.

i can only rank them by the ones ive played.

Zelda 1 nes

oot

zelda snes

Majors mask

wind waker

zelda on gba

zelda 2 nes
TP ( game was a huge dissapointment) but it ties with the zelda watch game they sold in the 80s.

Ocarina of Time
twilight Princess
Wind Waker
A Link to the Past
Links Awakening
Both Oracles are equal
Majoras Mask
The Minish Cap
Phantom Hourglass
Zelda 1
Zelda 2

I would go with this.

1 Ocarina of Time
2 Twilight Princess
3 A Link To The Past
4 Wind Waker
5 Oracle of Seasons
6 Phantom Hourglass
7 Oracle of Ages
8 Link's Awakening
9 Majora's Mask

Majora's mask was terrible and I couldn't stand the graphics in WW but other than that it was alright.

1. Majora's Mask
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Wind Waker
4. Link's Awakening (I played it a looong time ago)
5. Twilight Princess

Majora's Mask is far and away my favorite Zelda. There's something completely unique about it, and the world really sucked me in as a kid. The masks, the temples, the story, the clock; I loved every fucking thing about that game.

1. Ocarina of Time
2. A Link to the Past
3. Majora's Mask
--
4. Twilight Princess
5. Wind Waker
6. Minish Cap
7. Oracle of Ages/Seasons
8. Link's Awakening
--
9. Legend of Zelda
10. Adventure of Link
--
11. Phantom Hourglass (I wish they would have stuck with Capcom for the handheld Zelda games)

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']- A Link to the Past
- Oracle of Ages/Seasons
- Link's Awakening
- Phantom Hourglass
- Legend of Zelda
- Minish Cap
- Adventure of Link

Unfortunately, I havent been able to play any of the 3D Zelda's due to my general distaste of 3D adventure games.

Isnt the design in Twilight Princess supposed to be very close to that of Ocarina of Time? Why it would be so much lower?[/QUOTE]

I whole heartedly agree about 3d adventure games... 2d is the way to go!

As for my list:

- Legend of Zelda (My favorite game of all time)
- A Link to the Past
- Link's Awakening
- Oracle of Ages/Seasons
- Phantom Hourglass
- Minish Cap
- Adventure of Link

Adventure games are one genre I actually think benefited tremendously from the move from 2D to 3D, along with RPGs. I just find it much more immersive to explore worlds in 3D vs. 2D.

Most RPGs retain their 2D gameplay counterparts because the camera is usually locked or at least automatic.

3D adventure games often require the user to maneuver the camera manually, which takes you completely out of the game.

Thats just me though.

I can see that. For the most part the camera in games like the 3D Zelda's haven't bothered me. It could be annoying at times, but having a vibrant 3D world to explore more than made up for it IMO.

The ideal for me is to just go first person like Oblivion. That solves the camera problem and is the ultimate in immersion in terms of exploring a big world IMO.

bread's done
Back