Rare E3 Rumors

chris mrozek

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
In a polish game magazine they claimed that through a source of theirs they heard that Rare has been working on to 2 games for quite a while. They are pretty far into development and they will be announced at E3. The games... Killer Instinct 3 and Perfect Dark Zero 2.

So if Rare has been working on them for quite a while already then it is probably safe to assume that these will be launch titles for the next Xbox.;)

Not surprising at all. I bet they are true.

There was a hint in a Rare christmas picture with K.I.3 on the stocking, and it was speculated to be a easter egg for Killer Instinct 3.

2123722154_e4ac4707ac.jpg

I loved PDZ, but it was pretty obvious that Rare could have done so much more with it. They never even released the counter-ops add on that was originally planned.

And one of these days Battletoads will return.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I can't believe how many years it's been since a KI game. You would think it would be a no-brainer.[/quote]

You know that'll never work. Tekken took over the button mashing genre and anything left over not taken by Tekken was taken by Dead or Alive.

Hopefully Perfect Dark Zero 2 doesn't blow balls like the first.

Pretty much fuck Rare. They've been hinting at KI3 since their smash hit Grabbed by the Ghoulies.
I'm not going to jump on and say I hated the game, because I didn't. Just wasn't what I expected from them.

I just want a damn Arcade Perfect rendition of the original KI. Other than the emulator and ROM for the PC. Which, come to think of it, is pretty damned close with a 360 Arcade Stick on the PC...hmm.

I liked Perfect Dark Zero pretty well. For me its a heck of a lot better than Call of Duty. I'd be up for that.

I'd like some more side scrolling fighters (Battletoads done more like River City Ransom?!?) but I'd at least try a demo for Killer Instinct, particularly if it's 2D or on a 2D plain.

I guess I'd like something fresh though.

I gotta say, I didn't like Viva Pinata or Kameo, but still I don't know what's with the bashing. At least they're doing something different from most developers.

[quote name='Paco']You know that'll never work. Tekken took over the button mashing genre and anything left over not taken by Tekken was taken by Dead or Alive.[/QUOTE]

eh? KI had canned combos and severe turtling issues but it was probably the furthest thing away from being a button masher.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I can't believe how many years it's been since a KI game. You would think it would be a no-brainer.[/QUOTE]

Just like a Final Fantasy VII remake, MIRITE? ;)

KI definitely has an old-school following, although I'm not sure how well that would translate in sales today given how long it's been since the last iteration. It would definitely garner a lot of publicity by all us "old timers" collectively going :hot::hot::hot:.

The point about Tekken taken button mashers w/ DoA gobbling the rest seems like an accurate statement so I'm not sure where KI would find it's niche besides name recognition alone.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']No love for Blast Corps?!?![/QUOTE]

OMG, I would love Rare if they made a good Blast Corps game. The first one was awesome... I remember getting stuck on the moon though. Or was it Mars?

Honestly, I'd love to know what's up with Rare these days. Back in the glory days (later SNES, and especially N64) they were cranking out games like nobodies business, at least it seemed to me at the time. I and LOVED every one of them. Conker, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, DK64, Diddy Kong Racing, Blast Corps, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Jet Force Gemeni, KI Gold all within 5 (96-01) years. That's 10 AMAZING (imho) games in 5 years. Then during the next console generation, we get the mediocre Star Fox Adventures on GCN, Ghoulies and Conker remake on xbox (of which I loved Conker, but that's due to the original being so good. Ghoulies was meh). So 2 mediocre and 1 pretty good remake in the next four years. Finally, on 360 we have PDZ, Kameo, Viva Pinata 1 and 2, and Banjo Nuts and Bolts, of which I only really liked the last 3. So while there are more games than last generation it seems, and I really hate to say this, that Rare has lost a lot of its magic touch. Now, don't get me wrong, I had a great time with VP and Nuts and Bolts, so I'll warrant the possibility they got off track and are righting their mistakes, but I won't hold my breath. //end rant

edit: damn, that's more writing than I thought. sorry to those that read it :)

Personally I thought Starfox Adventures was the best game Rare's ever done, and one of the Gamecube's real gems. I thought Kameo was sooooo much worse (and had really ugly art too :whistle2:/ )

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']eh? KI had canned combos and severe turtling issues but it was probably the furthest thing away from being a button masher.[/quote]

You've obviously never seen Cinder mashers or TJ COMBO fuckers. Jago and Orchid also had their fair share of bullshit in the game. And the king of CHEEZE has to be SABERWULF. God I hated that crap. Oh yeah the indians with his Tomahawks and big ass head also did tons of WTF hits.

I enjoyed the first one when I rented it on the SNES, but didn't like the second one on the N64 much. Not sure if it was really much different though.

If they did it, I'd want it 2D, or like I said before, instead of doing a one on one fighter, do a side scrolling fighter like River City Ransom :D

[quote name='Paco']You've obviously never seen Cinder mashers or TJ COMBO fuckers. Jago and Orchid also had their fair share of bullshit in the game. And the king of CHEEZE has to be SABERWULF. God I hated that crap. Oh yeah the indians with his Tomahawks and big ass head also did tons of WTF hits.[/QUOTE]

I used to main TJ Combo in the KI games. He was a charge character who could link his normals into his specials like a mad man. A charge move followed by a single button press and then another charge move could easily do at least 10 hits. I dunno, it's been almost 10 years so it's possible I could be forgetting something but the combos were more of pre-set finger gymnastics than anything else. I don't recall random button mashing being a winning strategy unless it was for a purpose(sorta like SF2 where people mash like crazy if they think they're gonna be thrown or spamming normal moves).

lzHBTRNzqmq9sotw6bCTuOMuo1_400.jpg

MAKE IT HAPPEN, RARE. MAKE IT HAPPEN!

But seriously, I'd love a new Killer Instinct game as long as they bring back most if not ALL of the classic characters. I was pissed when my favorite characters (Cinder and Riptor) got left out of KI: Gold.

[quote name='Gameboy415']
lzHBTRNzqmq9sotw6bCTuOMuo1_400.jpg

MAKE IT HAPPEN, RARE. MAKE IT HAPPEN!

But seriously, I'd love a new Killer Instinct game as long as they bring back most if not ALL of the classic characters. I was pissed when my favorite characters (Cinder and Riptor) got left out of KI: Gold.[/QUOTE]

That picture is too funny -- awesome find! :applause::applause::applause:

Killer Instinct (and ki2) was the best fighting game of its time.
Hope they announce 3. It's been so many years if they release one now it wil be a C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!

sorry :( I had to.

Also perfect dark zero was awful :p

bread's done
Back