Rare to release a new Killer Instinct?

sleepy180

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167950

The July issue of EGM will soon begin spawning in subscribers' mailboxes, so we're here to blow the lid off the latest gaming gossip from resident rumormonger Quartermann. He's been on a roll lately (especially now that tempestuous BioShock-on-PS3 drama has finally been resolved), so don't take his scuttlebutt nuggets lightly just because they sound far fetched....

First up, he's heard that Microsoft-owned developer Rare is currently hard at work on a new Killer Instinct offering for Xbox 360 tentatively titled Killer Instinct 3D: Death, Destruction, and Doom. Word has it that the plasticized 2D visuals and mash-happy gameplay have been wisely bulldozed in favor of fully 3D graphics and a more refined combat system. Our Q-spies in the U.K. report that the game looks "rather early" yet "promising," and tell us to expect a hasty denial from the cheeky lads at Rare.

Qmann has also heard some juicy new tidbits for all the first-person shooter fans out there. Allegedly, Activision's upcoming Call of Duty 5 won't make it to store shelves in time for this fall's holiday gaming season and will instead deploy across multiple platforms in February 2009. We're actually shockingly OK with this delay -- with all the pressure on developer Treyarch to match the quality and success of Infinity Ward's phenomenal COD4, they could certainly use all the extra time to polish up the game. Electronic Arts isn't ready to concede the murder-simulator genre to its competitors, though: Look for a new Medal of Honor game in 2009 that's set in war-torn Afghanistan. If that's not enough shootery for you, 2K Games also seeks to revive its former budget-bin hit Spec Ops as a top-shelf next-gen offering with a new installment set in the fashionable Middle Eastern city of Dubai.

All of these musings and many more from Quartermann can be viewed in full in the July issue of EGM, which should be hitting subscribers' mailboxes in the next week and newsstands shortly thereafter.

If this is true i cannot fucking wait. Killer Instinct Gold was sick as fuck on the n64 and nothing beats the SNES killer instinct.

And heres for old time sakes. Brings back some awesome fucking memories.

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=AV4OyTiTivY&feature=related[/MEDIA]

[quote name='Chacrana']Just when you thought Mortal Kombat Vs. DC was as lame as fighters would get this year[/QUOTE]

At least that has Batman in it.

Hmm, never really got into the Killer Instinct games for some reason....

Street Fighter 2 was about all the 2D fighting I needed back then.

[quote name='Chacrana']Just when you thought Mortal Kombat Vs. DC was as lame as fighters would get this year[/QUOTE]
Seriously. KI sucks balls.

Rare should REALLY release their old franchises on XBLA to get a feel for how big their fanbase on 360 is for some of their franchises. Because right now, they have nothing. And bringing Killer Instinct back...still going to keep them at nothing.

With all of the other fighting games that are being released in the near future (or re-released), I just can't see this as being a heavy contender. What's been announced: Street Fighter IV, SF II HD remix, Soul Calibur 1 & 4, Mortal Kombat VS DC, Facebreaker, King of Fighters XII... and probably a few others.

I could be wrong though...

Let's see, since its RARE, it will be started on the 360, worked on until the xbox-3, ported over, worked on, then finally released on the xbox-4. I can't wait for its 2020 release date!

It will be 80% vehicle based. If they do release any KI game they should just update the graphics and release it on XBLA. I'd rather have them update the original perfect dark and add online multiplayer to that.

I'd like to play some Killer Instinct, but I just wish that they would keep the game 2D. The combo system is what made KI. WHen you go 3D I feel like they're going to lose the traditional gameplay of KI. I just don't see the origlnal gameplay of KI translating well to 3D. But who knows.

For all of you dumbasses that says KI "suck balls, is garbage, lame" etc. etc. You are probably too young to remember it or you lacked the skill it took to pull of the combos and the Ultra! Ultra! Ultras! This game is gonna rock! So just stick to COD4 and GTAIV

[quote name='ricoraney']For all of you dumbasses that says KI "suck balls, is garbage, lame" etc. etc. You are probably too young to remember it or you lacked the skill it took to pull of the combos and the Ultra! Ultra! Ultras! This game is gonna rock! So just stick to COD4 and GTAIV[/QUOTE]
Or the series could just suck. Which it does. So just stick to Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat.

Also lol@lacking skill to pull off the combos. One of the major sucking points of the games are how little skill it takes to play them.

I still stand by my fucking statement.

Cinder is god.

C-C-C-C-C-C-O-O-O-O-O-M-M-M-M-M-B-B-B-B-B-O-O-O-O-O-B-B-B-B-B-R-R-R-R-R-E-E-E-E-E-A-A-A-A-A-K-K-K-K-K-E-E-E-E-E-R-R-R-R-R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Or the series could just suck. Which it does. So just stick to Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat.

Also lol@lacking skill to pull off the combos. One of the major sucking points of the games are how little skill it takes to play them.[/quote]

Truth.

This Man Speaks It.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Or the series could just suck. Which it does. So just stick to Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat.

Also lol@lacking skill to pull off the combos. One of the major sucking points of the games are how little skill it takes to play them.[/quote]

Just curious, but what sucks about it?

Every time the subject of KI comes up, all you do is pop in and say "it sucks" but you've never given a reason/reasons why.

From your view, why does it suck?

[quote name='SL4IN']Just curious, but what sucks about it?

Every time the subject of KI comes up, all you do is pop in and say "it sucks" but you've never given a reason/reasons why.

From your view, why does it suck?[/QUOTE]
Horrible gameplay. As I mentioned before, the game takes little skill to actually play. It's a button masher that entails you slamming on the buttons and being interrupted every once in awhile by a combo breaker. Everything else about the gameplay sucks too. It's like a terrible stain on the bottom of the shirt that is the fighting game genre that you try to remove, but you can't. So you just tuck it in, and hope no one sees it.

Also horrid characters. Hey look, it's a guy named Spinal and he's a skeleton! Get it!? Cinder is on fire, and Glacius is made of ice! Wow, I wonder how long it took them to think up those names...

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Horrible gameplay. As I mentioned before, the game takes little skill to actually play. It's a button masher that entails you slamming on the buttons and being interrupted every once in awhile by a combo breaker. Everything else about the gameplay sucks too. It's like a terrible stain on the bottom of the shirt that is the fighting game genre that you try to remove, but you can't. So you just tuck it in, and hope no one sees it.

Also horrid characters. Hey look, it's a guy named Spinal and he's a skeleton! Get it!? Cinder is on fire, and Glacius is made of ice! Wow, I wonder how long it took them to think up those names...[/quote]

Fair enough I guess. It may not be the most imaginative fighter on the block, but it's far from being terrible IMO.

It's also a series that's only had 2 titles. When compared to other 2D fighter franchises like Guilty Gear and Street Fighter that have had 156431843486431 different revisions to get stuff right, it'll lack in some areas.

Well I loved Killer Instinct 1 and 2 when I was younger. Used to always play them in the arcades at the time. The gameplay might not be superb but it was still fun and enjoyable to me and thats what mattered most. I actually liked the characters even if they weren't as original or whatever (Orchid was my fav). The music was great too. I can't wait for the possible release of KI3.

[quote name='Thomas96']I'd like to play some Killer Instinct, but I just wish that they would keep the game 2D. The combo system is what made KI. WHen you go 3D I feel like they're going to lose the traditional gameplay of KI. I just don't see the origlnal gameplay of KI translating well to 3D. But who knows.[/QUOTE]

Exact same way I feel. They should stick with 2D because I don't think it'll work.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Horrible gameplay. As I mentioned before, the game takes little skill to actually play. It's a button masher that entails you slamming on the buttons and being interrupted every once in awhile by a combo breaker. Everything else about the gameplay sucks too. It's like a terrible stain on the bottom of the shirt that is the fighting game genre that you try to remove, but you can't. So you just tuck it in, and hope no one sees it.

Also horrid characters. Hey look, it's a guy named Spinal and he's a skeleton! Get it!? Cinder is on fire, and Glacius is made of ice! Wow, I wonder how long it took them to think up those names...[/QUOTE]

Button masher? You have to perform the moves you know. If you think this game is a button masher, I hope to god that you hate Dead or Alive and Marvel Vs Capcom games.

Also horrid characters. Hey look, it's a guy named Spinal and he's a skeleton! Get it!? Cinder is on fire, and Glacius is made of ice! Wow, I wonder how long it took them to think up those names...[/QUOTE]

Or because you hate ~95% of everything non-Asian developed and have an undying love for anything that is.

[quote name='SL4IN']Fair enough I guess. It may not be the most imaginative fighter on the block, but it's far from being terrible IMO.

It's also a series that's only had 2 titles. When compared to other 2D fighter franchises like Guilty Gear and Street Fighter that have had 156431843486431 different revisions to get stuff right, it'll lack in some areas.[/quote]
I liked KI a lot when it first came to the SNES, but your claim against Street Fighter is absurd. It took one sequel to do everything right.

[quote name='InuFaye']No reason to be a dick.

The man does not like the game.

It does not matter where it comes from.[/QUOTE]

There's been a long and generally unwavering pattern when in comes to his likes/dislikes- one which I suspect has everything to do with where it comes from.

Why do you attack the man? Attack the argument not the person.

So what if he has a preference in games that come from Japan.

[quote name='InuFaye']Why do you attack the man? Attack the argument not the person.

So what if he has a preference in games that come from Japan.[/QUOTE]

I'd rather attack the person putting forth the argument, otherwise there wouldn't be an argument. See, I have a baseless vendetta against people who have baseless vendettas- in this case being Western-developed games.

You'd think that I'd attack myself too, but I love myself, so I let it slide.

[quote name='gokuou36']Button masher? You have to perform the moves you know. If you think this game is a button masher, I hope to god that you hate Dead or Alive and Marvel Vs Capcom games.[/quote]
I do hate those games lol. Well I don't hate DoA because at least it has boobies, but I still don't consider it a real fighting game. I don't like MvC2 at all. Oh wait, those are Asian games. I'm supposed to love them. Sorry, I forgot.

Considering he never said he hated the game because of the fact that it was developed in the west you have no argument.

You are just making baseless assumptions.

:shrug:
I never really liked KI.
I was a MK fellow.

I'd rather Rare make a Kameo sequel, but that's probably just me and 8 others. :(

[quote name='ricoraney']For all of you dumbasses that says KI "suck balls, is garbage, lame" etc. etc. You are probably too young to remember it or you lacked the skill it took to pull of the combos and the Ultra! Ultra! Ultras! This game is gonna rock! So just stick to COD4 and GTAIV[/QUOTE]

You idiot, throwing in a ton of random directions and button presses doesn't equate to depth or complexity. It only shows how bad Rare is at making a decent fighter. You're probably the asshole who plays as the boss characters.

I liked KI in the arcade back in the day but I probably wouldn't be interested in a new one. I think I played it mainly for the eye candy - it sure looked pretty back then...

A bunch of y'all can't seem to wait for the game, and have been fighting in here. It's been cleaned up by a more generous mod. If I see more mindless kvetching and flaming/flame-baiting, I'll be handing out infractions.

I guess you all are too young to know the pure awesomeness that is KI. In the arcade, it was THE best fighter around. The SNES version was near impossible to enjoy for me, due to the non-fighter friendly controller, which left sores on my fingers from the constant charging in the rigid D-pad.

It was very balanced, insanely fast for the most part (if you were good), intuitive, and looked stunning. Not to mention the amazing CD tunes BLARING from the machine, which were guitar heavy, orchestrated and appropriately themed for the antagonist. Learning the timing, and how to compensate against each foe took some skill, unless you were fighting some n00b, then you just pulled off your Ultra and finished them, which would cause the sound system to crank up, and all the kids would pile around you to see you slaughtering your foe. It was quite intense.

KI 2 was pretty lame, IMO, and I totally avoided that game, as it lost many of the things that made it amazing.

KI Gold was also a stinker in my book, although it was the only decent fighter on the N64, but still pale in comparison to the arcade original, and even the SNES attempt on the underpowered hardware.

This is amazing news, in that there is still a fanbase that wants this to work. Most of this generation will never know the glory of gaming in a real arcade, with hometown legends of the sticks playing for hours on a single quarter. With a new release in the thought to be forgotten franchise, the original arcade port may finally be perfectly adapted and delivered alongside it, to be properly played, in 1080p, with an arcade stick.

Seriously, if you played the original, with a fresh new stick in the arcade, you might think twice about how you feel about the game.

To think that MK2 was just dying out when this wonderful game hit, and the MK3 machine next to KI was brand new and vacant brings back some fond memories of a big change in fighting games that happened around that time.

As for the comment about the button mashing...... Sorry, you are very wrong. This game was all about chaining, timing, parrying (ala Combo Breakers), and somewhat complicated stick and button combos. Sure there were some cheesers who would pick Orchid or Jago and go insane with the same ridiculously quick move, which would leave the inexperienced opponent feeling cheated, but in no way did this happen with 2 decent players, who could understand how to insert a quarter.

Thank you for the news :)
Made my night :)

bread's done
Back