Rare/Unusual Games FAQs

SadieDee

CAGiversary!
Does anyone else think that we need a list of rare/unusual games since the question is asked every week? I have a small list started...

Hard to Find Games

High Priority - This means that the game is very hard to find and can easily be sold for at least $40 (average) on eBay.

Backyard Baseball (GC)
Brigandine (PS)
Bubble Bobble (PS)
Burning Rangers (Saturn)
Bust a Groove I & II (PS) - $50ish
Castlevania: Dracula X (SNES)
Castlevania: HOD (GBA) - $40
Cubivore (GC) - Extremely rare, but in the $30 range
Dance Dance Revolution (nearly every mix for the PS, esp. Disney Mix)
Dragon Force (Saturn)
Earthbound (SNES)
Fatal Frame (PS2)
Firefighter FD (PS2)
Gauntlet Dark Legacy (GC)
Guardian Heroes (Saturn)
Intelligent Qube (PS)
Lunar I & II (PS)
Marvel vs. Capcom (PS2/GC/Xbox)
Metal Gear: Substance (PS2)
NCAA College Basketball 2k3 (GC)
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (SNES)
Nintendo World Championship Cartridge (NES)
Ogre Battle (PS)
Panzer Dragoon Saga (Saturn)
Persona I & II (PS)
Poy Poy (PS) - $20 - 30 but hard to find
Radiant Silvergun (Saturn)
Rhapsody: A Musical RPG (PS) - $90 - 100+
Resident Evil 2 (GC)
Resident Evil 3 (GC)
Rez (DC, PS2)
Shining Force 3 (Saturn)
Snatcher (Sega CD)
Suikoden I & II
Super Mario RPG: LotSS (SNES)
Tales of Destiny I & II (PS)
Tactics Ogre (PS)
X-Com UFO Defense (PS) - $40ish
Valkyrie Profile (PS)
Zelda Collector Disk (GC)

Low Priority - This means that the game is hard to find and/or sufficiently unusual that it should be mentioned. Going value of games should be under $40 (average) on eBay.

Blast Lacrosse (PS) - $30ish
Castle Shikagami
Chocobo's Dungeon 2 (PS) - Uncommon, $20 - $30
Contra Force (NES) $20 - 30
Culdcept
Dragon Warrior 2 (NES) - $10 - $20, Common
Dragon Warrior 3 (NES) - $25ish
Dragon Warrior 4 (NES) - $25 - 40 ($60 if complete)
Dual Hearts
Duke Nukem Advance (GBA) - Hard to Find, $30 - 40 if new/sealed
Incredible Crisis (PS) - $10 - 20
Ikaruga
Metal Gear Solid (original cover)
Mr. Mosquito (PS2) - $10 - $15
NCAA Basketball 2k3 (GC)
NHL 2002 (GBA) - $30ish
No One Can Stop Mr. Domino (PS)
Ogre Battle (SNES)
Okage:Shadow King (PS2)
Phantom Brave LE
Puzzle Fighter Advance (GBA)
Raiden Project (PS) - Unsure of placement in catagory
Return Fire (PS) - $30ish
Seaman (DC)
Shanghai True Valor (PS)
Shining Force II (Genesis)
Stretch Panic (PS2)
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES) - Uncommon, $20ish used
Tactics Ogre (GBA)
Tengen Tetris (NES) - $25
Theme Hospital (PS)

Honorable Mentions - Really Easy to Find Games with Unusual Gameplay:

Animal Crossing (GC)
Broken Sword (GBA, PS)
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (DC/PS)
Katamari Damacy (PS2) - YMMV in B&M stores, readily available online.
Pikmin I & II (GC)
Ribbit King (GC, PS2)
Shenmue I & II (DC, Xbox)
Syberia I & II (Xbox)

Edit: Updated lists and "really easy to find games with unusual gameplay" category, JoJo moved to a different category; Katamari Damacy moved; more Saturn and PS1 games added; Ninja Gaiden + Valkyrie; Marvel vs Capcom...Dual Hearts...etc....Tactics Ogre/Ogre Battle, MG:S, Tengen Tetris/Contra/Dragon Warrior

I know the definitions for the lists are subjective. Just be reasonable with the recommendations. Please don't thread crap. If you still choose to thread crap, please, at least, give a suggestion for a title to add. :twisted:

[quote name='SadieDee']Does anyone else think that we need a list of rare/unusual games since the question is asked every week? I have a small list started...

Hard to Find Games

High Priority - This means that the game is very hard to find and can easily be sold for at least $40 (average) on eBay.

Castlevania: Dracula X (SNES)
Castlevania: HOD (GBA) - $40
Cubivore (GC)
Dance Dance Revolution (nearly every mix for the PS)
Earthbound (SNES)
Puzzle Fighter Advance (GBA) - I don't know if this should be listed here or not)
Rhapsody: A Musical RPG (PS) - $90 - 100+
Resident Evil 2 (GC)
Resident Evil 3 (GC)
Super Mario RPG: LotSS (SNES)

Low Priority - This means that the game is hard to find and/or sufficiently unusual that it should be mentioned. Going value of games should be under $40 (average) on eBay.

Chocobo's Dungeon 2 (PS) - Uncommon, $20 - $30
Duke Nukem Advance (GBA) - Hard to Find, $30 - 40 if new/sealed
Incredible Crisis (PS) - $10 - 20
Mr. Mosquito (PS2) - $10 - $15
No One Can Stop Mr. Domino (PS)
Seaman (DC)

I know the definitions for the lists are subjective. Just be reasonable with the recommendations. Please don't thread crap. If you still choose to thread crap, please, at least, give a suggestion for a title to add. :twisted:[/quote]

coolio

odd games - Stretch Panic, Okage: Shadow King; Katamari Damacy

hard to find games - Suikoden I and II, Tactics Ogre, M.G.S (original cover)

I really want to get Chocobo's Dungeon 2, I sold it a long time ago and want to replay it... but I can't find it anywhere except for EBay (Gamestop had it for like 2 minutes at $22 before it sold out, should of jumped on that)

I'm pretty sure there have been a few threads like this, but anyways:

Jojo's Bizzare Adventure (DC) is hard to come by from my past experiences, the (Ps1) Version isn't quite as hard to find.

I'd probally add Ribbit King in the Unusual game portion (GCN/PS2)

Gauntlet Dark Legacy (GCN) - Rare

All I can add for now, but im sure if you search the forums you'll find a lot more games to add.

ncaa basketball 2k3 (gc)

ikaruga and castle shikagami to the unusual part, people love calling them rare, but they arnt.

Ok, I have to say for the most part your list is wrong. I've been following the current systems rarities for a while, as with PSone, and these are the only games on your list I'd consider "rare"

Cubivore
Rhapsody
Resident Evil 2 GC
Resident Evil 3 GC
Tactics Ogre

The rest can either be classified under "hard to find", "Uncommon" and a few in there are very common games. Katamari Damacy can be found in stores and Metel Gear Solid (original cover) had to sell what, 100,000+ copies to hit Greatest Hits status.

Just because a game sells for a lot on eBay, that doesn't mean it's rare.

I would add at least Panzer Dragoon Saga for Sega Saturn occaisonally fetching more than 200 on ebay, and Rez for either Dreamcast or PS2

The problem seems to be with the use of the word "rare." As has been pointed out, many of those games aren't really "rare" in the truest meaning of the word since they really aren't that hard to find. However, they have held their value or even gone up in value. Maybe we should just call them "investment" games.

When the heck did Metal Gear Solid 2 : Substance become rare?!? Is the XBox version also rare, or is it PS2 only?

You can add Firefighter F.D. 18 for PS2 to you list, it sells for 40-60 dollars on eBay and is really hard to find in stores.

The first Fatal Frame for PS2 is also extremely RARE.

Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance for PS2 is also extremely rare, I am kicking myself cause I saw a bunch of them at Circuit City $5 clearance over the summer, but I didn't pick any of them up cause I already had the XBOX version :(

The list is updated.

To the people who had beef with the word "rare" (Cmosfm & Machine) - it was never used in the list titles or definitions. I only used it in my first sentence for the thread and topic title. Please read entire post before flaming, thanks. I intentionally left it out of the definitions because I saw that as a potential problem.

The reason that I choose eBay as part of the factors that determine in what list a game will go on is that eBay is just a quick way to determine fair market value since some people like to try to resell games for a profit or "invest." This list was created partly to help aid them.

Uh, the DC version of Jojo isn't rare at all, at least no more so than any other DC game. I remember my BB having copies for $10 long after the DC was declared dead.

[quote name='evilmax17']Uh, the DC version of Jojo isn't rare at all, at least no more so than any other DC game. I remember my BB having copies for $10 long after the DC was declared dead.[/quote]

I just checked a couple sites and you're right so I moved it to a different list.

Firefighter FD (PS2)

I think I saw that for rental at my Blockbuster once.

And Katamari Damacy or whatever it is, how much does that go for online?

[quote name='alfonsosoriano']Firefighter FD (PS2)

I think I saw that for rental at my Blockbuster once.

And Katamari Damacy or whatever it is, how much does that go for online?[/quote]

It goes for about $20, I actually bought it for a friend and it was pretty easy to find. KD was moved to a new category

I got a few more cool ones from my collection: Radiant Silvergun, Guardian Heroes, and Burning Rangers all for Sega Saturn. The first two easily sell for more than 100 most of the times. But my absolute favorite rare game is Snatcher for Sega CD. Its made by Hideo Kojima of Metal Gear fame and it absolutely rules and goes for about 60 bucks usually. You all need to play it.

[quote name='Lord Draconus777']www.digitpress.com should serve all your needs.[/quote]

..exactly.

I have one: AirForce Delta Storm (XBox).

NHL 2002 (GBA)

Stupid? Yes, but I've sold a few on Ebay. Last one went for $35 shipped.

Also Blast Lacrosse for PS1. Highest I've got is $40 on Ebay.

More will come to me I'm sure.

Good luck, I tried doing this and was going to make a really nice list, but then some shit-turd asshat came into the thread and started to bitch and moan that whatever I put on the the list isn't rare, so I said fuck it. This same thing happens in almost every damn rare games topic, usually by a different asshat each time.

AFAIK my TRU still has 3 Katamari on the shelf and like 4 in the back room.

Since when is Gauntlet Dark Legacy for Cube rare? Damn...I saw one at a Gamerush about a week ago.

Oh yeah, add Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (SNES) to the rare list.

I wouldnt exactally call the Broken Sword or Syberia games unusual gameplay. The adventure game use to be a very popular game, but I guess it is rare to see an adventure game in this day and age, which is very unfortunate :whistle2:(

[quote name='Staind204']I wouldnt exactally call the Broken Sword or Syberia games unusual gameplay. The adventure game use to be a very popular game, but I guess it is rare to see an adventure game in this day and age, which is very unfortunate :whistle2:([/quote]

I used to love playing adventure games like King's Quest and EcoQuest (both Sierra titles). I'm very sad to see the genre die out. You're right, it's not unusual gameplay but it's on there for the same reason you said, there are not many adventure games anymore.

Personally, I want "King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow" for my GBA, darn it! :(

[quote name='jimbodan']Good luck, I tried doing this and was going to make a really nice list, but then some shit-turd asshat came into the thread and started to bitch and moan that whatever I put on the the list isn't rare, so I said shaq-fu it. This same thing happens in almost every damn rare games topic, usually by a different asshat each time.[/quote]

Thanks, I think I'll need the luck. I'm sure some asshat will come in and bitch/moan about the list. Oh well, they could have made their own. I'm trying to check people's recommendations as I go along. Personally, it's just nice to find out about new titles. I guess if you aren't going to take it seriously, it's at least good for entertainment purposes :)

Thanks to masha/Lord Draco for the digitpress.com link. It's very informative, I like the Game Rooms page. Some of those pictures are just nuts :shock: (http://www.digitpress.com/index2.htm)

List updated btw

A few titles for your uncommon list. These aren't worth a ton, but they're very unique & fun games that are somewhat hard to find:

Culdcept
Dual Hearts
Phantom Brave *LE* - the limited edition has always been somewhat hard to find, so it will almost definitely be worth more $$ on down the road.

Also, you may want to add the Zelda Collector's disks to your rare/expensive list along with Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, all 3 versions (PS2/Xbox/DC).

I think you should probably drop the the metal gear solid original cover down to the under 40$ range, I've sold a few and the absolute most I got for them was 30, and that was right after MGS3 came out. Currently I'm only getting 20-25 for them

also Metal Gear Solid: Substance for PS2 should be in the over 40$ list.

Ogre Battle snes and Shining Force II genesis also belong in the under 40$ list (they are right around 30$)

You might want to break things down a little more, like have a category for stuff over 50 or 60, then like a middle category for stuff 30-50-60, and a category for cheaper stuff. Just some suggestions

[quote name='jimbodan']I think you should probably drop the the metal gear solid original cover down to the under 40$ range, I've sold a few and the absolute most I got for them was 30, and that was right after MGS3 came out. Currently I'm only getting 20-25 for them

also Metal Gear Solid: Substance for PS2 should be in the over 40$ list.

Ogre Battle snes and Shining Force II genesis also belong in the under 40$ list (they are right around 30$)

You might want to break things down a little more, like have a category for stuff over 50 or 60, then like a middle category for stuff 30-50-60, and a category for cheaper stuff. Just some suggestions[/quote]

I added (edited) the games you mentioned. Right now I don't want to break the list down, but if it gets sufficiently large and I have the fair market value for all or most of the games, then I'll break it down by price. :cool:

Do you want lots of nes/gen/snes stuff on the list? If so I can probably name off a bunch of the more expensive titles, or do you mainly wanna keep this to more current stuff?

a few PS1 games

X-Com UFO Defense
Raiden Project
Return Fire
Theme Hospital
Dance Dance Revolution Disney Mix
Bust a Groove
Bust a Groove 2
Bubble Bobble
Poy Poy
Shanghai True Valor (my girlfriend loves it ! :D )

Zforce - Gauntlet: Dark Legacy is going for about 20-30 on eBay.

Jim - As for the list, if you think a game is of reasonable interest to other CAGs, go ahead and name it. I would like to keep the list more current (SNES/Saturn/Genesis to present), but if there are a couple highlights from the NES era, I don't mind that either.

Masha - I added your games, tell me if you think I placed them in the wrong categoy.

I'll update the list again tomorrow morning so keep posting :)

[quote name='opportunity777']I'm not sure if this list has any merit whatsoever.[/quote]

If you don't like it, don't read it. Good night! :lol:

List updated and bumped. Tell me if you guys would like me to keep updating it or not (I don't want to keep bumping a topic that no one is reading)

[quote name='ofacto']

The first Fatal Frame for PS2 is also extremely RARE.

[/quote]

Since when? I see it a lot more often than the XBOX version.......but if its true, maybe I will end up selling the PS2 ones for the XBOX director's cuts after all....

Tactics Ogre - PS
Ogre Battle - PS
Intelligent Qube - PS
Shining Force 3 - Saturn
Dragon Force - Saturn
Iron Storm - Saturn
Persona 1 & 2 - PS
Lunar 1 & 2 - PS
Tales of Destiny 1 & 2 - PS
Brigandine - PS

I haven't kept up on all the hub-bub about "R@RE/VALUABLE" games at CAG, but here's my 2 cent... and this isn't meant as a flame or anything.

The Gauntlet: Dark Legacy (GC) and MGS2: Substance talk perfectly encapsulates what goes on in the secondary market.

GDL is, indeed, rare by the standard of numbers. You can simply not find the game in stores new as it has been 1, long out of print, and 2, was printed in short numbers (relative to the other console formats).

On top of that there's probably 3, it never really sold well. Hence people were able to pick it up at last summer's CC sale pretty easily.

You can, however, see it in relatively higher frequency at EBGames or Gamestop and often times it will be in pretty good condition.

The reason? Because the game just wasn't that good. But some people like it and the Gauntlet name has weight to it so there will always be some demand. But currently used copies fetch no more than $30 probably due to simple ebb and flow of the market. Either that or it's done for until next-gen because everyone who wants one has gotten one and the rest are dismayed by bad reviews.

Nonetheless, it is rare by sheer volume and ability to see this title new in stores.

MGS2: Substance is the same exact deal. Relatively low production numbers (to the XBox version as well as definitely to the Sons of Liberty Version).

How it's different is because 1, the release of MGS3 spikes demand and 2, it actually is a decent game (take a good game -SOL- and add more features and you really can't miss).

Arguably (and probably quite easily) GDL (GC) is rarer in the sense that there are less in number. But MGS2:Substance still fetched at least $10 above GDL on average for a used copy.

Bottom line? If this is a thread about Rare/Unusual games, then price shouldn't be a marker for it. Price is a side effect of rarity (among a bevy of other things), but rarity itself or unusualness? That's a different story.

*Goes back to playing his $6 copy of No One Can Stop Mr. Domino*

[quote name='SadieDee']NHL 2002 (GBA) - Maybe only as an "investment", $30ish [/quote]

:?: is that a knock against the game? Because it is a fairly decent game of portable hockey. Okay, so it isn't purely outstanding, but it is fun.

BTW, regardless of what anyone says, Katamari Damacy is still in the hard to find region. Yes it is worth sub $40, but regardless it's still hard to find. As is RAD.

Snatcher is for sega cd not sega saturn. Although there may have been a japanese release on saturn. Its an amazing game really.

[quote name='JAMMR']Bottom line? If this is a thread about Rare/Unusual games, then price shouldn't be a marker for it. Price is a side effect of rarity (among a bevy of other things), but rarity itself or unusualness? That's a different story...[/quote]

The price is listed there, so if someone goes to a store and thinks they see a uncommon/unusual/"special"/odd/collectable/freaky/whatever-you-call-it game, they know around what price they should pay for it.

Ever go in a store and see a game that you wanted, but you didn't know if it was for a good price or not? It's to help ease that syndrome.

Yes, I know demand, supply, and price all change. However, this list can (and will) change with time. It wasn't meant to be a bible to live by.

[quote name='-Never4ever-'][quote name='SadieDee']NHL 2002 (GBA) - Maybe only as an "investment", $30ish [/quote]

:?: is that a knock against the game? Because it is a fairly decent game of portable hockey. Okay, so it isn't purely outstanding, but it is fun.

BTW, regardless of what anyone says, Katamari Damacy is still in the hard to find region. Yes it is worth sub $40, but regardless it's still hard to find. As is RAD.[/quote]

Sorry, I apologize, I will change that (referring to NHL game).

Katamari Damacy seems to be a YMMV in terms of availablity. It's readily able to be purchased online though ( http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/245460.asp ). Put in your zip code if you are having trouble finding the game. In my location, it's in stock at least 3 stores. When I bought a copy as a gift, I had to ask the cashier, and he had to go in the back to get it (like it was a drug deal or something, lol)

bread's done
Back