Rare, Valuable Games!

roc's feather said:
I don't understand how Seppu can possibly defend this against any real examples. Suikoden 2 is RARE. It cannot be bought at any major retailer, and when it was avaialable it had a very limited print. Suikoden 2 is valuable. It generally sells for about 60-100 dollars. Much more than the original price.

I think you need to draw a line between RARE and VALUE. They're not mutually exclusive. VHS copies of Steel are not valuable but they probably are rare. There aren't thousand floating around. But it doesn't matter because nobody cares, and no one is going to pay anything for a copy. Similarly I understand what you mean concerning modern games. With the huge print runs of current games, they will never be rare in the same way that a paiting might be. But as time goes on, and they get removed from shelves and public opinion/tends/nostalgia change, prices do change

Yeah, what he said ^

[quote name='Gameboy415'][quote name='helava']

1.) Any game that you can buy on store shelves has probably a minimum print run on the order of 10,000 copies, at an absolute minimum. Most games will be greater than 50K. .....[/quote]

Right.

That's why Panzer Dragoon Saga was available at my Toys R Us for ONE DAY due to its print run of Approx. 5,000 copies in the US.

I guess I'm trying to prove the point that there truly ARE rare games, but if they don't interest you, don't buy them. Its up to you.[/quote]

It was actually around 25,000, people just like to assume things are "rarer" then they actually are.

You want impending rarity?

Technic Beat on PS2...sold 771 copies during its full launch month....guaranteed scarcity

[quote name='Kevtones'][quote name='Gameboy415'][quote name='helava']

1.) Any game that you can buy on store shelves has probably a minimum print run on the order of 10,000 copies, at an absolute minimum. Most games will be greater than 50K. .....[/quote]

Right.

That's why Panzer Dragoon Saga was available at my Toys R Us for ONE DAY due to its print run of Approx. 5,000 copies in the US.

I guess I'm trying to prove the point that there truly ARE rare games, but if they don't interest you, don't buy them. Its up to you.[/quote]

It was actually around 25,000, people just like to assume things are "rarer" then they actually are.

Technic Beat on PS2...sold 771 copies during its full launch month....guaranteed scarcity[/quote]

But what's its print run?

Uh, I never said that games don't sell for more than their purchase price. But doubling your money? You think that's *valuable*? Look at the odds. How many games have even retained their original purchase price? A thousandth of a percent? I doubt it's even that high. And what's the *most expensive* game you can think of? Far as I know, it's a Nintendo Competition Cart, and that's somewhere between $14K and $40K, if memory serves, and that's because there were less than ten of those in circulation. Suikoden 2, by contrast, probably has a thousand times that, if not twenty or thirty thousand times that in circulation.

My point was simply this - if you're asking whether a game is going to be "Rare or Valuable" your priorities are really whacked, and you're playing against very stacked odds. Why bother? Of course it's up to you, what you wanna spend your money on - be my guest if you wanna get a second copy of Halo 2 and put it in a Food-Saver bag. Dowhutchalike.

seppo

roc's feather said:
Suikoden 2 is RARE. It cannot be bought at any major retailer.

New, nope, but I found one at EB a few weeks ago used.. the same week I found Intelligent Qube at EB mint and complete.

[quote name='Kevtones'][quote name='Gameboy415'][quote name='helava']

Right.

Technic Beat on PS2...sold 771 copies during its full launch month....guaranteed scarcity[/quote]

/me looks over at his still sealed copy. Now I wonder if I should actually play it or not. Maybe I'll just keep it sealed.

[quote name='Kevtones'][quote name='Gameboy415']That's why Panzer Dragoon Saga was available at my Toys R Us for ONE DAY due to its print run of Approx. 5,000 copies in the US.

It was actually around 25,000, people just like to assume things are "rarer" then they actually are.[/quote]

While 5,000 isn't right, it's a helluva lot closer than 25,000. 10,000 copies were printed. But hey, that's what happens when some people assume that they're right without doing any research on the matter.

Suikoden II is not rare. The game gets a rarity rating of 4 on Digital Press (on a scale from 1-10; a rating of 1 means a game is very common) - here's a link to back it up.

Suikoden II is a great game, and there's a lot of demand. You don't see it often because used copies usually get snatched up as fast as they hit the shelves. Also, people are aware that the money you can get if you sell your copy on ebay beats what they'd get for it at EB, etc.

[quote name='Ledhed']
While 5,000 isn't right, it's a helluva lot closer than 25,000. 10,000 copies were printed. But hey, that's what happens when some people assume that they're right without doing any research on the matter.[/quote]

I guarantee you that I've "done research" on the matter. My number may be off by several thousand, but it's definitely not off by as much as Gamespy's estimate, and it comes from a much better source.

seppo

[quote name='helava']I guarantee you that I've "done research" on the matter. My number may be off by several thousand, but it's definitely not off by as much as Gamespy's estimate, and it comes from a much better source.[/quote]

Like you did on the NWC cart?

Far as I know, it's a Nintendo Competition Cart, and that's somewhere between $14K and $40K, if memory serves, and that's because there were less than ten of those in circulation.

$14k? Are you joking? Your memory is not correct. The highest a gold NWC has sold for was $7k (avg 3-4k). There were 26 of these made, and only half of those are accounted for. The grey has at highest, gone for about $2.5k (avg 1k-1.5k), and there are at least 300 of them out there.

No matter what anyone says, production runs are trade secrets, and most that you've heard are pure bullshit. I wouldn't be surprised if all the claims about PDS's production run are all hearsay.

And if you think no current gen console will produce a rare game, then you're insane. And anyone trying to accomodate for future rarity is not 'whacked'; they're simply trying to two things: buy low, sell high (or - buy now low so they don't have to worry when the vultures circle the carcass) or, prepare for getting a complete collection.

No, I didn't do any research on the NWC - I was just pulling those numbers out of my ass, based on something I recall reading like, five years ago. re: PDS, though, you can believe me, or not - I don't really care either way. Yes, I understand that I've given you no concrete reason to believe me - but again, I just don't care.

seppo

[quote name='portnoyd']And if you think no current gen console will produce a rare game, then you're insane. And anyone trying to accomodate for future rarity is not 'whacked'; they're simply trying to two things: buy low, sell high (or - buy now low so they don't have to worry when the vultures circle the carcass) or, prepare for getting a complete collection.[/quote]

I don't think a current gen console will produce a truly "rare" game, because there are already enough collectors out there to really prevent anything from becoming truly "rare". At best, you'll have something where there are maybe 5K-10K in circulation. If you consider that a game cart where there were only 20 ever made is the most expensive thing out there, and it's at ~3-4K, by what you said (though you were wrong about the total number of gold carts), then what chance does something that's three orders of magnitude more common have to become valuable? At most, you'll what, double your investment? Whoo!

Seriously, do whatchalike. I couldn't care less. But "buying low" and "selling high" against odds like this is *insane* and no one in their right mind would give you their money to invest. The payoff is ludicrously poor. But by all means! If you look at games, and you think, "Ah, this is where I'm going to really see a great turnaround on my $50," go for it. Best of luck to you.

seppo

Video games are not investments nor commodities. Collect for yourself, not for profit. If you want to make profits, study and work hard. You can get rich the easy way by finding sealed copies of what-not.

[quote name='helava']Seriously, do whatchalike. I couldn't care less. [/quote]

Then why do you keep replying to this topic?

And apparently you're not on eBay much, if you think people can't make a profit off videogames. And they are indeed investments. I paid $550 total for my complete copy of Stadium Events for the NES... the last complete copy up on eBay went for $1800, not to mention that was 2 years ago, and a complete copy hasn't been seen since. How is that not an investment? What are you looking for here? Spend $5, make $2,000? When does that ever happen?

And you're equating rare and valuable again, when they're not the same thing. They're not the same thing. Often times, they do go hand and hand, but it is not an absolute.

A game with a 5k-10k is considered rare (compare that to what is known as common, having 1mil+ print runs). Example, Quadrun on the 2600 was quoted by the programmer as having a 10k production run (it's rare that info like this is discovered), and this game is considered very rare, and a loose cart gets $200-$300 on average.

Here's the best current gen example of a rare title: NCAA Basketball 2003 for the GC. It was pulled, this is common knowledge, and it was shortened print run as the last Sega Sports title before Sega killed that line. It won't hold a candle to older systems like the 2600, but you can definitely call it a future rarity based on the circumstances.

wow thats some serious dough to shell out for a game.....i agree with defender...buy to play its that simple...why waste your hard earned money on a rare game that you may never play...might as well go buy some new clothes or sumtin......

Well despite rarity, a lot of games are defintely worth reselling. You just need to increase your profit margin, and know where to look.

One year, I made about 10k selling games that I purchased from pawnshops,fleamarkets etc. And had less than 100 hours invested. This can't be done everywhere, but its not uncommon.

Picking up games and investing because of rarity etc, is a big gamble. Instead just go for the quick resell.

On a side note, I may wipe out a pawnshop of their goodies, but for my own morals, I don't get greedy on various CC 5 dollar deals etc..

So, "Collector's Edition"s are the ones that the collectors don't want, and the "Original One"s are the ones the collectors do want?

[quote name='onikage']Speaking of rare games, does anyone know how many SNES Waterworld carts were produced?[/quote]

Probably a handful of protos, and that's about it. Never made it out the door.

VHS copies of Steel are not valuable but they probably are rare.
I'm stockpiling that shit in preparation for the armageddon. When the world ends, civilization shall be remembered by the acting chops of Shaquille O'Neal.

bread's done
Back