Razer Tarantula Gaming Keyboard 18.99 YMMV

Ultrawolf

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I walked into my local Bestbuy and randomly decided to browse the keyboard/peripheral section and saw a price tag for a clearanced out Tarantula keyboard for 18.99 down from 95 bucks or so. Seeing as this is a tremendous value and that I had already had my eye on that keyboard I asked one of the local employees to do a store search for me and found that about half of the best buys in the area were doing the 18.99 price and the rest had them at the normal 95 bucks. I went to one that was about 40 minutes away and snagged one (totally worth it IMO), so take it as YMMV but I would definitely either call ahead OR go in-store and ask them to do a store inventory search so you can check who has it and for what price.

At least half the stores in GA have it slashed down.
Just to reiterate, this was at Best Buy. They don't have it listed on their website so you can't do an online store search :(

I went into my local BB over the weekend (Beaverton, OR) and asked about the keyboard. The employee that was "helping" me said "oh, that was a good deal, we just sold out, but I snagged two for myself"...

I left quickly before I had to stick my foot in his ass. Needless to say, if you're a BB employee, don't ever say something like that to a customer.

My advice to you guys who still want this keyboard is to call a Best Buy near you and have them look up what Best Buys in your region have it in stock. If it is too far out of your way ask the employee if you can buy it from that location (the one you are calling) and have the store that has it in stock ship it to them. Back when I used to work at Best Buy I did this a couple times for customers but certain stores can't buy from other stores and certain stores don't ship to others so you'll have to check.

I went to my local BB and the price was $18.99, but they were out of stock. The told me they had 5 at the Union City store, so I drove up and bought 2 (one for me, one for a friend) at $60 a piece. Then went back to my local store and asked for a price adjustment. The girl at customer service didn't even blink and eye and just did it. It was great.

The keyboard is gonna go great with the new computer I just built.

If anyone doesn't mind picking up another one of these at $18.99 I'm up for working out something through Paypal. The Best Buy near me won't go lower than $85 for this thing ; /

I checked back at my local Best Buy, who had a stack of them for $60.99 not a week ago. They were now marked at $22.99. I bought one.

[quote name='punkprincess']I went to my local BB and the price was $18.99, but they were out of stock. The told me they had 5 at the Union City store, so I drove up and bought 2 (one for me, one for a friend) at $60 a piece. Then went back to my local store and asked for a price adjustment. The girl at customer service didn't even blink and eye and just did it. It was great.

The keyboard is gonna go great with the new computer I just built.[/QUOTE]

which store did you go to?

this does not pertain to this deal whatsoever, (btw checked the chelsea store in nyc, oos but the store on 44th had 2 there in thier inventory.) went into best buy in chelsea and found a razer mouse, the really high end one marked at 71.99. i used to work at best buy so i know policies there. every sunday we would mark down open box items 10% so we could move them out of the store and this was a storewide policy. i then noticed taht the mouse was marked as last dated 12/3/07. thats about 2.5 months late. after figuring in my head, it should be at about ~$30. the csr in computers knew what policy i was referring to but needed a customer service to do it. first the dept supr wouldnt even give me the breath of day to help me out. the woman gets tehre and i recite policy to her and she looks at me and asks, you used to work at best buy. i respond i did not to long ago. she then gives me the run round and tells em she can only mark it down 20% from the regular pprice. i bugged out. called 888bestbuy and they are no help whatsoever. i felt so cheated but then i again i hate going there now. why i still do is just a paradox to me, after seeing how they operate and treat ppl. if anyone who works at a best buy can just verify what policy is, if it is indeed that still. i just need a piece of mind. thanks

It is still the same way, generally. There's only one difference for ours, the one here puts open items back on the shelves (returned) all through the week, but the "open box" stuff from in store is put out on Monday.

I went to the one in Tulsa on 41st, but it was not marked down to 18.99. I believe the tag said 66something. I'll head to the one on 71st after my class, because I really really want one. IF I dont manage to find one at the 18.99 and any CAG'ers pick an extra one up... I'll def. do it through Paypal.... if the 71st BB put them out at 18.99, I'll pick an extra one up though. Here's hoping :/

I got one! The Northglenn, CO location has 7 left! By the way, they were in two areas. One tag said $56.99 and the other said $18.99. But it rang up as $18.99 so I didn't have to say anything.

photo.jpg

Stopped by both here, didn't find it! If anybody picks up an extra one and wants to mess with paypal and shipping to me.. let me know :)

[quote name='Pootie Thang']I got one! The Northglenn, CO location has 7 left! By the way, they were in two areas. One tag said $56.99 and the other said $18.99. But it rang up as $18.99 so I didn't have to say anything.

photo.jpg
[/quote]

Sweet! That's not very far from me at all (Boulder), I plan on going there tomorrow then to see if there are any left, I'm hoping there will be as there doesn't seem to be too many CO CAGers

[quote name='Pootie Thang']I got one! The Northglenn, CO location has 7 left! By the way, they were in two areas. One tag said $56.99 and the other said $18.99. But it rang up as $18.99 so I didn't have to say anything.

photo.jpg
[/quote]

Do you know if the BB's in northern Colorado (Centerra, Fort Collins, etc.) could price match that store?

Shipping seems to be about $10-11 for these (they're heavy). To make it worthwhile somebody's going to have to sell for around $35-40 (that $ including shipping) in order to be it worth their time. I'm going to go out and check around for these, if I can I'll pick up a couple and let ya'll know.

[quote name='Pootie Thang']

photo.jpg
[/quote]

Can anyone tell me the SKU# of this keyboard. Thanks.

I just barely can't make it out from this picture.

[quote name='Bretts31344']Can anyone tell me the SKU# of this keyboard. Thanks.

I just barely can't make it out from this picture.[/quote]

Sure, I have the actual floor tag hehe O:)

Sku: 8260794
Model: RZ03-00070

why would a usb kb not work on Xbox 360? but if you are just looking for a random kb to type in a few things just get a cheap MS or logitech usb kb

Because I heard this had 2 usb inputs? I dont know if I can plug them both in, or just 1 in. I searched all over the net and cant find and answer.

And this IS a cheap usb keyboard.... But its also a badass one I can use when playing pc games.

Just looking for someone who got it to try it out on their 360.

on the topic of a keyboard for the xbox 360.. The wireless usb ps3 logitech keyboard works great on it. I picked up up for $14.99 would highly recommend. Most places are clearing these out for the newer blutooth versions

[quote name='almasy82']on the topic of a keyboard for the xbox 360.. The wireless usb ps3 logitech keyboard works great on it. I picked up up for $14.99 would highly recommend. Most places are clearing these out for the newer blutooth versions[/quote]

where you get it for 14.99?

Got one today at $18.99, in Northglenn, CO. Searched the other BB's in the area (Broomfield and Westminster), one had another one but it was priced at $57.99 and not $18.99 so I obviously walked on that one. I probably could've price matched it, but at the risk of losing another hour of my life I passed on it. One of the BB's didn't even have a spot on the racks for this keyboard. Meh, least I got a deal/steal on this one, it's pretty nice, but you do have to plug both USBs in for it to power up, so in regards to the question(s) about working on X360, probably not since you need two USB ports, but it does also have two usb ports on the back of the keyboard.

Picked one up at the Melrose Park IL location, it was the last one. They had two left at the burbank IL location, but they were still 70 dollars.

If anyone picked up an extra, and wanted to ship it to me it would be greatly appreciated. I would pay all associated fees, of course.

[quote name='MrJohnnySpot']...Meh, least I got a deal/steal on this one, it's pretty nice, but you do have to plug both USBs in for it to power up, so in regards to the question(s) about working on X360, probably not since you need two USB ports, but it does also have two usb ports on the back of the keyboard.[/quote]

I'm sorry, but this is not necessarily correct. My keyboard works fine when only one of the USB plugs is plugged in. (note: this is one of the two, not either one.)

[quote name='Malkovich']Can I get a kind CAG heart to plug it in to their 360? like srsly[/quote]

I plugged in the USB plug that worked with my PC into my 360 and it worked fine.

My local BB had no Tarantula, but they have a new Razer keyboard with some name I can't even read (nice job on the font choice, designer). It's full price, $79. So perhaps this is the replacement?

thanks to the person who posted about the wesley chapel, FL store having them i got the 2 i needed they were $20.99 each and only 2 on the shelf

In regards to needing two USB ports.. It's only for consoles that don't have enough power to each USB slot. Many laptops and computers with

Just thought I'd drop in and report that it is completely out of stock at the Best Buy in Liberty, MO, but listing at 23.99.

However, the Kansas City store on Barry Road has one left on the shelf at 46.99 and will match the price at the Liberty store if you go and speak with customer service.

[quote name='awmoore']thanks to the person who posted about the wesley chapel, FL store having them i got the 2 i needed they were $20.99 each and only 2 on the shelf[/quote]

That would be me. :)

When I was there Saturday, there were three left on the shelf. As my g/f was checking out with some DVDs, a guy in front of us was buying one of those three. So, you must have snagged the last two on the shelf. :applause:

On the drive home, I told my g/f about that deal, and she said, "You should have told me. I would have bought them and sold them on eBay." haha You owe me for not telling her while we were in the store! :lol:

[quote name='Mysterio']

On the drive home, I told my g/f about that deal, and she said, "You should have told me. I would have bought them and sold them on eBay." haha You owe me for not telling her while we were in the store! :lol:[/quote]

I'm sure that more than one person is going to turn around and re-sell these, if I could've gotten more I would be looking at a "free" copy of SSBB with my proceeds. I did look at eBay prior to my hunting and they're selling for about 35-50 depending on the shipping price, which is about 15-30 per keyboard, that if you had extra, you would be looking to make. Not a bad deal either way tho, i'm content with my $18.99 find.

And yes, I believe that these are being more or less liquidated because of that new Razer keyboard, the lycosa I believe. Because those are now $79.99. The best part was when I went into a BB and they had both keyboards at the $79.99 price.

[quote name='MrJohnnySpot']And yes, I believe that these are being more or less liquidated because of that new Razer keyboard, the lycosa I believe. Because those are now $79.99. The best part was when I went into a BB and they had both keyboards at the $79.99 price.[/quote]

I purchased the Razer DeathAdder mouse and Lycosa keyboard a couple weeks ago from Amazon (less expensive, no taxes, and free shipping), and couldn't be happier with them. I considered the Tarantula, but I thought it was too big and bulky. The Lycosa's appearance and keys (low profile with rubberized texture and lighting) were what sold me. Hopefully, though, Razer will release a firmware update that allows one to adjust the brightness of the key lighting.

[quote name='Mysterio']I purchased the Razer DeathAdder mouse and Lycosa keyboard a couple weeks ago from Amazon (less expensive, no taxes, and free shipping), and couldn't be happier with them. I considered the Tarantula, but I thought it was too big and bulky. The Lycosa's appearance and keys (low profile with rubberized texture and lighting) were what sold me. Hopefully, though, Razer will release a firmware update that allows one to adjust the brightness of the key lighting.[/QUOTE]

The downside to the Lycosa is that not ALL keys are wired separately compared to the Tarantula. So what does that mean exactly.... basically you have Anti-Ghosting only on specific keys WSAD and a handful of others. I'm big into music games such as DDR and PIU. On the Tarantula, I can hit up to 6 arrows/keys at the same time with no ghosting at all, the maximum keystrokes at once that USB can handle. Overall other than the size of the Tarantula being bigger, it is the better gaming keyboard. I also bought a Razer Deathadder mouse recently. Amazing mouse though I must say updating the firmware on them is a pain in the ass. Just some added info.

bread's done
Back