Razer Tarantula Gaming Keyboard 18.99 YMMV

Ultrawolf

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I walked into my local Bestbuy and randomly decided to browse the keyboard/peripheral section and saw a price tag for a clearanced out Tarantula keyboard for 18.99 down from 95 bucks or so. Seeing as this is a tremendous value and that I had already had my eye on that keyboard I asked one of the local employees to do a store search for me and found that about half of the best buys in the area were doing the 18.99 price and the rest had them at the normal 95 bucks. I went to one that was about 40 minutes away and snagged one (totally worth it IMO), so take it as YMMV but I would definitely either call ahead OR go in-store and ask them to do a store inventory search so you can check who has it and for what price.

At least half the stores in GA have it slashed down.
Just to reiterate, this was at Best Buy. They don't have it listed on their website so you can't do an online store search :(

Two left in Best Buy in Worcester, MA. Unfortunately they're marked and scan at $60.99. I passed.

If the Lycosa is the Tarantula's replacement why did the Boardman, OH Best Buy have both marked clearance for $61.99?

[quote name='Filbert']If the Lycosa is the Tarantula's replacement why did the Boardman, OH Best Buy have both marked clearance for $61.99?[/QUOTE]

Could be that specific store doesn't have a customer base that purchases those types of items. Some stores have Magnolia Home Theater which is basically High-End products for High-End Prices. Not all stores have them but depending upon their customer base, some stores do have them. It all goes back to supply and demand. If your store gets in 10 Wii's and takes 10 weeks to sell them, then you won't see a large number of them coming in or shipments of them at all. While a store that gets 100 of them in and sells them in a couple of hours will see more units on future shipments. Same general concept.

I got mine on Sunday at Aurora,Il store - the display model. Stopped first at the Oswego, Il BB who had 2 shelf locations for the Tarantula and they were tagged at clearance $18.99 but they were bare. The Aurora store's shelf tag had a clearance $56.99 on it but they matched it for me at $18. I had just bought the DeathAdder mouse a week prior so I HAD to have this :) - Also picked up the BattleLight for the keyboard at BB.com (online only item), that was delivered yesterday - it's pretty cool. I think I would buy a turd if it had cool blue lights on it :lol:

[quote name='sasukekun']Bought 2 at $21/each at the Riverside, CA Store. I was able to get them to pricematch the La Quinta (sp?) store clearance price.[/QUOTE]

Interested in selling one of them?

[quote name='GTZ_NSR']Interested in selling one of them?[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I was thinking of trying to trade it.

The keyboard box itself will probably be around $10 to ship because of the weight.

Cant even use a Flat-Rate Priority box since it's too big :whistle2:(

Theres a bunch in the Tustin, CA Best Buy but they are priced at 79.99 Clearance... which is still too much for a keyboard IMO (although I want one badly).

79.99 at Fairview Heights in IL...I went ahead and bought one, so if they do go clearance I can bring my receipt and they'll refund the difference :)

My local BB (Huntsville, AL) just dropped to $25.99. Tried to get 'em to PM other $18.9X ones, but those locations were OOS, so I nabbed it anyway.

they are now $18.99 at the Longview, TX store. I went today and looked. I'm probably gonna go back on Monday to buy one along with a Lachesis mouse.

There are 2 at the Culver City BBY, around $45 when I checked today. As of like 02/19 they were ~$70 (according to the price tag), so the price could likely drop soon. I wants one, but not @ 40 bux.

So the stock thing says that two local stores have them in. I called one store and the person checked the entire surrounding area. The two that "have stock" are both sold out but do have the $22 price. The only store in the area that does have the keyboard has it at $60 and "they aren't required to match our price" according to the person I was talking to. ugh.

[quote name='mikeohara']they are now $18.99 at the Longview, TX store. I went today and looked. I'm probably gonna go back on Monday to buy one along with a Lachesis mouse.[/quote]

PLEASE DO NOT BUY A LACHESIS. I bought 4 (exchanges) from the store and they all have the same problem that many on RAZER blueprint forums have. The mouse really only works on one surface which is the new Devastor mousepad. That means your exactmats and everglide mats are worthless. There is some firmware which is in beta which was supposed to stop the mouse from randomly jumping and freezing your pc. All if did for me was make the mouse sensitivity seem lower. These jumps were most noticable when playing FPS and RTS. Very hard to click the unit u want when the mouse jumps all over the battlefield. I would recommend the 3g Deathaddler which uses a very reliable 3g LED. The 3200dpi G9 (a little small for me even with the wide body, i preferred the texture of the precision body but it was even smaller) a copperhead (if you like the claw method) (i used to have one of these but lately been getting cramps in my hand) or my current favorite which i got for $49.99 at best buy last week the microsoft Sidewinder (this is a very large mouse reminiscient of Logitechs first laser mouse) its got three different pair of feet for gliding, weights and a totally awesome cable box which achors the wire out of the way! Its only 2000 dpi but thats the same as my copperhead. I typically like to set my dpi settings at 200,400,800,1600,3200. I find myself playing fps at 800 to 200 for sniping and 1600 for RTS and sometimes 3200 for those damn tanks in BF2.

But please save yourself the trouble of the Lachesis. I was so disappointed i almost started crying. I'm serious. I love razer to death but what the hell were they thinking...

Actually I'm still crying on the inside, like a little girl. Do you wanna cry like a little girl on the inside? Yeah i didn't think so. Please save yourself the trouble!

There were 3 of 'em at Cerritos, CA. I priced check and it was for 50 dollars, but the employee said he can sell it to me for 35 instead if I wanted it.

gonna check countryside & crestwood, IL tomorrow.

If they got more then 1 ill pick up a few to sell to cags who weren't fortunate enough to have a sale near them.

FYI: I had originally priced shipping one of these boxes via UPS and it was approx. $12 to ship, depending on location (zip+residential/commercial).

[quote name='sovietspartan']snip![/quote]

Thanks for the link, I registered for their forums and will be looking into the Lachesis a bit further before deciding for sure.

I just checked the website again and it says that every store in the area now hos these in stock. I call, and they all say they're out of stock. So very odd.

What so great about this keyboard anyway ? I'm using it right now and I didn't feel anything special about it.

[quote name='nonggame']What so great about this keyboard anyway ? I'm using it right now and I didn't feel anything special about it.[/quote]

i thought the same, i think my old emachines keyboard i was using actually performs better lol. some of the keys dont respond very well, and take harder presses to work. i think it's a good deal for the $18.99 i paid, but for anyone that couldnt get it, they aren't missing out on much. the only thing unique to this keyboard is how nice it looks, the anti-ghosting, and the 10 programmable hotkeys.

the keyboard is nice, but i would have never paid the retail price it came out as. if anything it should have been $50 max, imo.

Bump just to make people aware that the price has now dropped at more stores than before. My store originally only had it for $56.99 but just marked it down to $18.99 today. So if your store had them at a higher price, you may want to call and check it to see if they dropped. The clearance price dropped at all stores but it was a YMMV in regards to each store's pricing. In my district about 2/3rds of the store's had them at $18.99 and others from $35.99 to $56.99. Sku number is 8260794.

[quote name='Hellacious']Bump just to make people aware that the price has now dropped at more stores than before. My store originally only had it for $56.99 but just marked it down to $18.99 today. So if your store had them at a higher price, you may want to call and check it to see if they dropped. The clearance price dropped at all stores but it was a YMMV in regards to each store's pricing. In my district about 2/3rds of the store's had them at $18.99 and others from $35.99 to $56.99. Sku number is 8260794.[/quote]

santa clarita CA $33.99

well the bestbuy near me seems to have it.. does this also work for like a 360 and ps3? by plugging into the usb slots of the consoles? just wondering... thanks!

Check it yesterday after work , and it went down from 65.00 to 35.00 .... I'm still waiting for it to hit the 19.00 mark... they only have 2 (Lakeland fl.)

I picked one up just incase the price drops. I have to be honest and tell you guys this really isnt a hardcore gaming keyboard. If a way it feels crippled by the real lack of customibility one may be used to with gamer spec hardware. For one the additional multimedia controls cannot be re programmed. Supposedly the media controls work with Itunes. All i can do is play. Can't even pause or stop or skip to the next song. However it will open Itunes by pressing the music key. The zoom controls on the left side of the keyboard don't work for me at all, I believe they are for photoshop but i have all the key commands already memorized so this doesn't benefit me.

I feel this is more of the multimedia keyboard with 10 "customizable" light up keys. If you have a regular keyboard this is a nice upgrade for 20.00. Otherwise you are better off purchasing something more customized for gamers, such as and Ideazon Merc if you like the attached ergonomic FPS controls or the LED screen of the g10 series on the logitech.

Taken a look at this keyboard, I wouldn't recommend the razer Lycosa, it has less customibility and looks like a mix between the saitek eclipse and the tarantrula.

A note on the keys, razer says by using a shorter keypress it engages the keys faster. I feel like someone has taken my xbox 360 controller and replaced the triggers with the r2 l1 buttons found on a dual shock 2. If you have ever used a thinkpad this is exactly the same tactile feedback you can expect from this keyboard.

For flight simmers, this keyboard might drive you nuts if you already have a light up keyboard. I like flying at night in a dark room. Really sucks that only 10 keys light up. Luckily i have an x-52 which has three profiles for all the buttons but i still like using the keyboard for some commands. However with this keyboard unless i leave a light on its very hard to find the correct key to press. Some might say why did my hands ever leave the keyboard and why am i such a noob that i dont have the keyboard memorized. Well i have a stick and throttle control (i dont have rudder pedals so i use the slider on the throttle) so my hands are usually not sitting on the keyboard...

Anyways, enough ranting I just wanted to give some fellow pc gamers the heads up so if they dont find this keyboard they dont go buy it on newegg or somewhere and find out its not what they expected it to be.

I picked this up in the Tukwila BEST BUY for you pacific northwest cag's. It was 18.99 and they had maybe 6 or 7. I tried this for my ps3 and yes it works fine. Anyone know where I could get a cheap optical mouse so I can finally play UT3

bread's done
Back