Really bizarre hardware/internet issue.

GuilewasNK

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
My current system is a Pro system that I bought (brand new at the time), to replace my RROD elite system. Never had any problems until last night.

My system is hooked up via HDMI to a Vizio Plasma television (HDMI port 2). Well, I tried turning on the 360 and all I hear is static and I can't see a thing. I thought maybe the cable was bad so I tried the HDMI port 3 and port 1 with different cables which I have hooked up to a PS3 and a VCR/HD combo machine. Neither worked for the 360, but the did for the other machines . By trying other cables that were known to work I came to the conclusion that my HDMI port on my 360 has gone bad.

So I decided to grab my composite cable. I hook it up and it works just fine. However, I notice I cannot connect to Live. I first make sure the Ethernet cables are properly hooked. Check. I then check the power cords to the router and modem. Check. I check to see if I have an working internet connection to my PC and PS3. Check. I follow troubleshooting and turn the router and modem off for 30 seconds then bring them back up. Check. I try connecting and I still get nothing. I turn off the modem, router, and 360 again. I try to connect again and I get nothing. I restore factory default settings for network connections in the 360. Nothing. I then do some more Googling and read info about checking DHCP in my router settings. Everything looks good. I then notice that the IP in the 360 settings is showing a 169.254.xxx address.

I do more reading on that and find out that that means there is something up with the network.

http://ask-leo.com/why_cant_i_connect_with_a_169254xx_ip_address.html

I'm thinking it is an issue with the ethernet port itself. After I read this I hooked the 360 directly to the modem and I still cannot get a connection. I also tried multiple ethernet cables to rule out an issue with the original cable.

I'm probably just going to buy a slim 360 (250GB) model and a transfer cable, but I was just wondering if anyone ever heard of the HDMI and Ethernet port going out at the same time like that? The only thing I can think of that might have caused this is a lighting storm yesterday. I usually look at forecasts in the morning and if there is even the slightest chance of thunder I unplug my systems and TV. Yes, I have them on a surge protector, but I don't believe in 100% protection from anything. Of course I was in a rush to work and forgot to do so yesterday.

It's a system board failure. Only thing that would nail the HDMI port and the Ethernet port at the same time. The only time the surge protector would come into play is if you had an electrical surge hit your home, and you'd see other devices have issues if this happened. I'd recommend replacing the surge protector just to be safe for the new 360.

The 169.254.x.x IP address is the "default" address a network adapter is assigned when it can't find a DHCP server to get an IP. Perfect proof the Ethernet adapter is out of service. Since you tested the HDMI port with known working cables and known working ports on your TV, then the HDMI port is also dead.

Not sure if it's under warranty or not, though since it's not 3RRODing or E79ing and within 3 years of purchase date, I doubt MS would do anything for you.

Pulling the info from the old drive to the new one will blank the old drive in the process, so it'll be a empty drive when you're done. Don't forget to do the license transfer for the new system, and you'll need to redownload all of your existing DLC from XBL to get the licenses to change from the old system to the new one. I'd just go through your download history on XBL on a computer, redownload them so they hit your download queue and let the 360 cycle through them until you've pulled it all down.

bread's done
Back