Reccomend me some rap

punqsux

CAGiversary!
Feedback
88 (100%)
ok ive been meaning to make this thread for a while because ive always wanted to expand my horizons on the rap genre, but as im sure most of you know, anything that gets any kind of airplay totally blows.

i like good and simple beats, i dont want to hear about the following:

hoes, bitches, money, violence just to be tough, drugs, material possesions, evil clowns

rappers i like off the top of my head are j5, (old) black eyed peas, mc chris, nwa(somewhat, mostly for ice cube), ice cube (obviously, including body count) the roots, and some im sure some more...anyways help is appreciated, thanks!

[quote name='punqsux']

i like good and simple beats, i dont want to hear about the following:

hoes, bitches, money, violence just to be tough, drugs, material possesions, evil clowns
[/QUOTE]

Sadly this is what most rap has become. I used to listen to a lot of rap, but now it seems like there's nothing really out there.

my 2 favorite albums of the year so far:

Sean Price - Monkey Barz

Opio - Triangulation Station

trust me u will NOT be disappointed, altho they are both 2 totally different sounding albums.

also Common - Be is said to be classic this year, it has more of a universal appeal compared to the other two I mentioned. Regardless another great album.

finally June 21 comes out the greatest hits album from Lost Boyz. They were my favorite group when I was growing up since their first 2 albums were personal favorites. If u never heard them before get that album nex week!

Well, Sage Francis is great, for a start. He's on Epitaph, so you know he shares a lot of the punk sensibilities (oxymoron perhaps?) and his stuff is just flat out good. Mos Def is also good, as he tends to shy away from the typical content of rap songs. I've been listening to the last Common album, Be, and it's surprisingly good as well. Also, might want to check out MC Lars. His Laptop EP is great, and contains tracks about the exploitation of emo music and Edgar Allen Poe. Brilliant, brilliant.

my friends love sage francis,

Im jus happy dat he actually raps on beat, unlike most abstract underground rappers.

he's a real preachy guy, if ure interested in what rappers are saying u may like him.

my friends also love Buck 65, I think he's pretty cool.

one rapper I cant stand is Aesop Rock, dont like dat guy at all

[quote name='Beana Blasta']screw rap, rap sucks[/QUOTE]
i feel sorry for anyone who claims any artform as a whole sucks. im really glad im not you, and i mean that with all my heart.

thanks for the 2 informitive posts guys, keep em comming, im making a list ^^

Blackstar - Mos Def and Talib Kweli are...
Mos Def - Black on Both Sides
Mos Def - The New Danger
Talib Kweli and DJ Hi-Tek - Reflection Eternal
Talib Kweli - Quality
Talib Kweli - The Beautiful Struggle
Common - Be
Common - One Day It Will All Make Sense
Common - Like Water for Chocolate
Immortal Technique - Revolutionary Vol. 2
Jedi Mind Tricks - Violent By Design
Kanye West - College Dropout

MC Hammer - Turtle Power (theme from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - The Movie)
Vanilla Ice - Ninja Rap (theme from TMNT II)

The only good rap!

Well, there are a few other songs I think are funny/interesting...
The Pharcyde - Oh Shit
The Infesticons - Hero Theme (this song makes NO SENSE AT ALL. I love it.)
Grandmaster Flash - Scorpio
Sir Mix-a-Lot - Jump On It
Quad City DJs - Space Jam (Come on and slam! If you wanna jam! ha ha YTMND)

And of course, ANYTHING by Group X.

That about does it, for me...not really my thing, for the most part.

i feel sorry for anyone who claims any artform as a whole sucks.
Rap is not an artform, it is a specific genre of an artform (music, of course).

man, rap doesn't get any credit on the internet. just a whole bunch of kids who think rap is all about the crap on MTV and the artists advertised at Best Buy.

Little do they know, there's a whole underground movement!

Try some of these guys out, they've got a lot of good stuff to say and keep the bullshit to a minimum-

--Atmosphere
--Family Tree
--Daily Planet
--All Natural
--anything from the Anticon label-- http://www.anticon.com/frameset.htm
--Molemen
--Clouddead
--Pharcyde

Rap is not an artform, it is a specific genre of an artform (music, of course).

thus, it's an artform. whatever! it's a damn good artform too. :)

Get:
-Almost anything with or by Del tha Funkee Homosapien (including: Del's proper albums, Deltron 3030, Handsome Boy Modeling School)
-Cannibal Ox, "The Cold Vein"
-Gza, "Liquid Swords"
-Jedi Mind Tricks, "The Psycho-Social-Chemical- Biological-and-Electromagnetic Manipulation of Human Consciousness"
-Company Flow, "Funcrusher Plus"
-Anything with or by DJ Shadow (look for his collabs with Cut Chemist)
-Blackalicious, "Blazing Arrow"
-Anything by RJD2
-El-P, "Fantastic Damage"

Grand Buffet
Grand Buffet
Grand Buffet
My god I can't say it enough
Grand Buffet

http://www.grandbuffet.com/

I met these guys when they opened for Wesley Willis, and they were very cool guys. They have quite possibly the BEST stage banter EVER
(Turn on your sense of humor before checking them out.)

Kanye West is the fucking man. He is the most mainstream out of all artists though (which you said you didn't want).

I also like Talib Kweli, Jurassic, and a couple of common's songs (not a huge fan).

Pharcyde had an awesome song a LOOONNNNGGGG time ago, anyone know the name?

Anti-icon
Atmosphere
Immortal Technique
Mos Def
EL-P
Jedi Mind Tricks
Beastie Boys
Slug

I don't listen to much rap/hip hop, I do like theses artists. Not all rap is about hoes, bitches or how thug you are, theres tons of great talent but since coporate labels like thinking of what's in and instead of whats good, so in turn you hear a lot filler.

Old school that anyone under the age of 16 probably has not heard:

- Tribe called Quest
- Das Efx (they don't have simple beats but I love the speed at which he spits it out - could give Twista *or whoever the fastest rapper is now* a run for his money)
- Common Sense (now known as Common - I liked his older stuff better than what he's got now)
- Black Sheep
- Pharcyde
- Beat Nuts
- Lost Boys
- Jurassic 5

[quote name='Greetard']Kanye West is the fucking man. He is the most mainstream out of all artists though (which you said you didn't want).

I also like Talib Kweli, Jurassic, and a couple of common's songs (not a huge fan).

Pharcyde had an awesome song a LOOONNNNGGGG time ago, anyone know the name?[/QUOTE]

They had a lot of awesome songs. Could it be 'Otha Fish' or 'Ya Mama'? Those are my personal faves.

Pharcyde had an awesome song a LOOONNNNGGGG time ago, anyone know the name?

they've got a ton of good stuff, but I think Runnin' was the big hit...can't keep runnin awaaaaayyyyy...that one?

zemone summed up the hip hop part of it pretty much

go buy common "be" right now that shits hot
great rhymes and nothing bout hoes and all that commercial crap out right now

probably no one will agree but go get Jin's mixtapes its pure hip hop, the meaningful shit, nothing about money, clothes, cars, hoes his album "the rest is history" is pretty bad for his talent, but thats becuz ruff ryder didnt let him free and do his own thing, if anyone wants some of his mixtapes PM me and we can hook it up for an exchange of something u may have(common specifically)

and IMO kanye is garbage his rhymes are the same for every line, just mixes the words up and hes not as great as everyone thinks, his beats are pretty good though, but not dre material

Whoever mentioned Mix-a-Lot forgot to mention the album SWASS

Dead Prez: Let's Get Free
Pete Rock & CL Smooth
Erik B & Rakim
(of course) Run-DMC
EDIT: Del tha Funky Homosapien

myke.
...I can't recommend much else. Dee Dee Ramone recorded a hip-hop album, though it's laughably bad.

[quote name='Greetard']Kanye West is the fucking man. He is the most mainstream out of all artists though (which you said you didn't want).

Pharcyde had an awesome song a LOOONNNNGGGG time ago, anyone know the name?[/QUOTE]

"She Said" Was the bomb

"Drop" was tight

"DL" Just bad ass

"She keeps on passing me by" was the hook that got me into them

The last one was probably the one that got you.

r1s3n

[quote name='r1s3n']"She Said" Was the bomb

"Drop" was tight

"DL" Just bad ass

"She keeps on passing me by" was the hook that got me into them

The last one was probably the one that got you.

r1s3n[/QUOTE]

That was it. I love that song.

I know a lot of em have been mentioned, but I'm gonna say em again anyway:
A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory & Midnight Marauders
Beastie Boys - Any album
Run DMC - Raising Hell
Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
Goodie Mob - Soul Food
Nas - Illmatic
Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
Gang Starr - Step In the Arena
Fugees - The Score
Brother Ali - Shadows on the Sun
Public Enemy - Any album
Murs - 3:16 the 9th Edition
Wu Tang Clan - 36 Chambers
El-P - Fantastic Damage
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Killah Priest - Heavy Mental & Black August
Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein
Ice-T - The Iceberg/Freedom of Speech...Just Watch What You Say
KRS-One
Kanye West - The College Dropout
De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
Sage Francis - A Healthy Distrust

And, of course, my favorite rap group of all time:
Outkast - Any album, but especially ATLiens, Aquemini & Stankonia

[quote name='zewone']Blackstar - Mos Def and Talib Kweli are...
Mos Def - The New Danger
Talib Kweli - Quality
Common - Be
Kanye West - College Dropout[/QUOTE]

All highly recommended, but if you want to get into Common Sense, get Resurrection instead. Not that his other stuff is sub par by any means, but Resurrection is pure bliss.

[quote name='mykevermin']Whoever mentioned Mix-a-Lot forgot to mention the album SWASS

Dead Prez: Let's Get Free
Pete Rock & CL Smooth
Erik B & Rakim
(of course) Run-DMC
EDIT: Del tha Funky Homosapien

myke.
...I can't recommend much else. Dee Dee Ramone recorded a hip-hop album, though it's laughably bad.[/QUOTE]

They're good too, good call. I was surprised to hear R.A.K.I.M. on Eminem's 8 Mile Soundtrack.

Oh, and speaking of, Eminem is my favortie artist. He's so fucking awesome. Sure, he's violent and a bunch of the other stuff that Punq says that he doesn't like, but Eminem is still king shit. I can listen to mostly anything of his and never get tired of it. Do yourself a favor and at least listen to:
"Lose Yourself"
"Sing for the Moment"
"Till I Collapse"
"The Way I Am"
"Marshall Mathers"
"Like Toy Soldiers"
"Cleanin' Out My Closet"
or "Mockingbird"

EDIT: Outkast is also one of my favorite bands/ solo. I can't believe I forgot them.

common
jedi mind tricks
del the funkee homosapien (deltron but better)
heiroglyphics
insight
mr lif
artifacts
pharcyde
7l & esoteric
freestyle fellowship
army of the pharoes
louis logic
shuman

underground is the way to go, pm if you want and i can probably aim you some later

[quote name='MadChedar0']All highly recommended, but if you want to get into Common Sense, get Resurrection instead. Not that his other stuff is sub par by any means, but Resurrection is pure bliss.[/QUOTE]

2nd, resurrection is an awesome album

a cd that is a little gangsta is nas- illmatic. I hate rap but man that is a good cd. Del the Funky Homosapien is alright. Deltron 30 30 I think was the name of one of his albums. A Tribe Called Quest has some good albums too.

[quote name='jughead']a cd that is a little gangsta is nas- illmatic. I hate rap but man that is a good cd. Del the Funky Homosapien is alright. Deltron 30 30 I think was the name of one of his albums. A Tribe Called Quest has some good albums too.[/QUOTE]

Stillmatic is better.

Check out the Last Emperor as well.
Dude loves his comic books.

[quote name='iheartmetal']common
jedi mind tricks
del the funkee homosapien (deltron but better)
heiroglyphics
insight
mr lif
artifacts
pharcyde
7l & esoteric
freestyle fellowship
army of the pharoes
louis logic
shuman

underground is the way to go, pm if you want and i can probably aim you some later[/QUOTE]

its an absolutely beautiful thing that a guy with the name iheartmetal has one of the best lists so far.

in addition to this, zewone, and jmcc's lists, i would like to add some older stuff that hasn't been mentioned, such as a tribe called quest, de la soul, gang starr (don't let the name fool you, easily one of the greatest duos in the history of hip hop), the ultramagnetic MC's. I think those would be exactly what you're looking for.

[quote name='MadChedar0']All highly recommended, but if you want to get into Common Sense, get Resurrection instead. Not that his other stuff is sub par by any means, but Resurrection is pure bliss.[/QUOTE]

quoted for truth.

Holler at:

MF DOOM
KMD
Common Sense (as in anything before the name change to common)
Kev Brown
The B.U.M.S.
Digable Planets
MadLIb
Quasimoto
Jeru the Damaja
Gang Starr
Nas Illmatic

[quote name='RaekwonThaChef']its an absolutely beautiful thing that a guy with the name iheartmetal has one of the best lists so far.

in addition to this, zewone, and jmcc's lists, i would like to add some older stuff that hasn't been mentioned, such as a tribe called quest, de la soul, gang starr (don't let the name fool you, easily one of the greatest duos in the history of hip hop), the ultramagnetic MC's. I think those would be exactly what you're looking for.[/QUOTE]

i could easily have the handle "iheartundergroundhiphop" but it wouldnt fit, but yeah i dig hiphop a lot, also i forgot

styles of beyond
is excellet!

OP... Bodycount was Ice-T, not Ice Cube. I didn't go through all three pages to see if someone mentioned this but, just so you know. (And Ice-T sucks btw).

edit: add Boogie Down Productions - By All Means Necessary and
Public Enemy - Bum Rush the Show

De La Soul
Audio Two
Doug E. Fresh
DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince (Check the song "Human Video Game" on his "He's the DJ I'm the Rapper" album)
A Tribe Called Quest
Biz Markie (not a huge fan but "Nobody Beat the Biz" is a classic)
The Roots
Outkast

Mos Def - The New Danger
Talib Kweli - Quality
Common - Be

What he said. :cool:

Mos Def - The New Danger
Talib Kweli - Quality
Common - Be

Man, I saw this topic, clicked on it and thought, you know, no matter what anyone else says I bet me and Zooooo will say the same shit. There it is, the same shit.

I was gonna type all that and more, but, you know I'm older so I know some shit that aint hot on the streets right now but try:

Public Enemy- Fear of a Black Planet
A Tribe Called Quest-Midnight Marauders and the Low End Theory (especially "Can I Kick It" and "Scenerio")

Same as the above stuff but more middle school, can't say "old skool" because that means "Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five" and "Sugar Hill Gang" type groups.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']De La Soul
Audio Two
Doug E. Fresh
DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince (Check the song "Human Video Game" on his "He's the DJ I'm the Rapper" album)
A Tribe Called Quest
Biz Markie (not a huge fan but "Nobody Beat the Biz" is a classic)
The Roots
Outkast[/QUOTE]

Yeah, add all this cats shit too. It's hot. This is the music that, no matter the volume it's played at, you bob your head.

bread's done
Back