Reccomend me some rap

Of course, all of the good artists have been said but one more time:

Slum Village
Tribe Called Quest
Q-Tip (Forget about breathe & stop and Vibrant Thing, it still sounds like a ATCQ album)
Nas- illmatic
kanye west
Common
De la Soul
The Roots
Phife Dog (decent solo album)
Run DMC
Souls of Mischief
Del
Heiroglyphics
The Pharcyde
Blackstar
Mos def
Talib Kweli
Ghostface (certain songs are deep, but He is Money and cash artist)
GZA
Pharoahe Monch (Nobody said him Wow!)
Bahamadia
Zion I
Little Brother
MF Doom
Madvillain (MF Doom and J-Dilla of Slum Village)
Outkast
Cee-Lo
Goodie Mob

And the Soundbombing 1&2 Albums

[quote name='peteloaf']Grand Buffet
Grand Buffet
Grand Buffet
My god I can't say it enough
Grand Buffet

http://www.grandbuffet.com/

I met these guys when they opened for Wesley Willis, and they were very cool guys. They have quite possibly the BEST stage banter EVER
(Turn on your sense of humor before checking them out.)[/QUOTE]
those guys are huge in pittsbrugh

I haven't seen anyone else mention him yet, so I'm going to highly, HIGHLY recommend MC Paul Barman. He's absolutely hilarious, and in a smart way instead of the typical gangsta rap, "Let's have a few tracks about blowjobs and giggle" sort of way.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and MC Chris on the nerdcore tip. :)

The Streets - A Grand Don't Come for Free

The newest album from the streets is great because the whole album is one long story. The beats are crazy good (a little raw, which I like). Check it out.

Canibus, his first album was hot but his second album was just amazin.
He also has a lot of freestyles on the internet check out 33 3's and Hot 97 freestyle those were straight.

[quote name='thesilentshadow30']I would say go OLD SCHOOL...

Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five - The Message

Slick Rick - Childrens story

lots of good songs from the old school[/QUOTE]

Oh man, gotta include "The Great Adventures of Slick Rick"... your suggestion of Childrens' Story reminded me.

Benefit...

The man made his album the CAG way: a sound card and computer mic. Total cost was $17 and he released it free on Napster.
Stand out tracks were Warp to World 6-9 and If I Owned a Midget.
Bonus edition re-release of the album (higher production values, extra tracks) is here.

Although many people have stated already..

You basically owe it to yourself to check all of the Definitive Jux label.

Atmosphere, Can Ox, El-P, Aesop Rock... all of these guys are on this label.
http://www.definitivejux.net/

Although you said no violence towards women and drug slanging, you must listen to Necro as well- even though his raps aren't clean, you will probably never hear the vernacular that he uses in any other form of music.

thread like this sux man, coz everybody list so many good artists that someone who dont really listen to rap would not have the time to listen to every one.

of course I like rap so I kno what everyone is talking about!

here's some of my favorites albums of 2004 (last year)

Jadakiss - Kiss of Death,
Why was like, my favorite song last year, the rest of the album was pretty good too!

Mobb Deep - Amerca's Nightmare,
nobody mentioned Mobb Deep? They were another one of my favorites growing up. Their latest album is pretty good, but it does have its fair share of crappy songs on it. u should check out their classic albums, Infamous, and Hell on Earth

Chops - Virtuosity,
Chops is the main dude from this group called Mountain Brothers, a 3 chinese man group from Philly. This album he focuses on his beats w/ lots of guest spots, his beats are real good!

Masta Ace - Long Hot Summer,
this album like all his albums tell a story. he has a real simple yet effective flow, and top tier beats make this album easily one of 2004's best.

Masta Killa - No Said Date,
this guy brought Wu Tang back, nothing more needs to be said.

Madvillain - madvillainy,
MF Doom and Madlib, all songs are like 2-3 minutes long but whenput together the album comes off crazy good. It was better than Doom's album, Mm Food.

De La Soul - The Grind Date,
classic De la album!!! Had they still been mainstream, this would be going hella platinum.

also some other favorite artists of mine I think nobody mentioned:

Bone Thugs N Harmony
DJ quik
Redman

man, Rock the Bells concert is on July 30th, Redman, Ghostface, Raekwon, Hieroglyphics, etc. aw man it's gonna be awesome!

Jadakiss is good, but he's pretty popular now. You can't be too unknown with a #1 debut. I could not stand that 1st single off that Grind Date album. I might listen to the snippets on the iTUNES store though.

[quote name='KwanzaaTimmy']Although many people have stated already..

You basically owe it to yourself to check all of the Definitive Jux label.

Atmosphere, Can Ox, El-P, Aesop Rock... all of these guys are on this label.
http://www.definitivejux.net/

Although you said no violence towards women and drug slanging, you must listen to Necro as well- even though his raps aren't clean, you will probably never hear the vernacular that he uses in any other form of music.[/QUOTE]

Note to the OP: While a lot of this stuff is good, DO NOT make anything from this label your first listen until you are very well acclimated with a variety of rap. A lot of this stuff is pretty inaccessable, try Mr. Lif if you're really curious though.

I realize now that I totally forgot Jean Grae. That was wrong of me.

edit: Who also worked under the name What What with The Herbaliser, who should also be checked out, because The Herbaliser is awesome.

Many of Tupac's songs were very good and werent about killing/ violence; Brenda's got a Baby, keep ya head up, Changes, Dear Mama, Thugs Mansion (the acoustic version that features Nas is one of my favorite songs ever), California Love, Until the end of Time, So Many Tears, I ain't mad at Cha, and others. Beware though, lots of his songs were about Gangs/violence but dont let them turn you off because he is arguably the greatest solo rapper of all time.

Also Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five hasn't been mentioned much. NWA/Ice Cube are hilarious and often their subjects aren't related to gangs/violence (also check out Dynamite Hack's version of Boyz N' Tha Hood it is the funiest song EVAR). Other great artists are Tribe Called Quest/Q-Tip, Run DMC, KRS-One, Public Enemy, Kanye West, Beastie Boyz, and Nas.

Lots of good suggestions so far... I will admit that I really don't know that much current Rap, I don't keep up as much as I used to when I was in the DJ business.
But I still say that if you like rap at all, you should give the old school music a listen to. There is lots of great music from the 80s (and some before and after).
Some song suggestions...( you can get lots of these of collections).
(also adding in some great FUNK songs)

Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five - The Message
Slick Rick - Children's Story ( whole album is great) both previously suggested.

Run DMC- any
Whodini - Friends, Freaks Come Out at Night, Five Minutes Of Funk
EPMD - Crossover
Newcleus - Jam on it, Jam On Revenge(The Wiki Wiki Song)
The Sugarhill Gang - Rappers Delight
LL Cool J - any
Too Short - The Gheto
Afrika Bambaataa - Planet Rock
Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock - It Takes Two, Joy & Pain
Parliment - Flashlight, most others songs good too
Vaughan Mason - Bounce Rock Roll Skate
Tom Tom Club - Genius Of Love
Digital Underground - Humpty Dance, Doowutchyalike, Same Song
Minight Star - Freak-a-Zoid, No Parking(on the Dance Floor)
Boogie Boys - A Fly Girl
Soul II Soul - Keep On Movin', Back To Life
Zapp (& Roger) - ANY
Frankie Smith - Double Dutch Bus
George Clinton - ATOMIC DOG !!!!!!!
Doug E Fresh & the Get Fresh Crew - The Show, La-Di-Da-Di
Ronnie Hudson & the Street People - West Coast Poplock
UTFO - Rozanne, Roxanne
The Real Rozanne - Romeo
Kurtis Blow - The Breaks, Basketball
Rockmaster Scott & the Dynamic Three - Request Line
Freestyle - Don't Stop The Rock
Egyptian Lover - Egypt, Egypt
Debbie Debb - When I here Music
Shannon - Let The Music Play
Naughty By Nature - OPP, Uptown Anthem
2 Live Crew - Me So Horny, lots more good songs
2pac - lots of good stuff, I get Around, Dear Momma
Big Punisher - Still Not A Player
Blacksheep - Flavor Of The Month
Chubb Rock - Lost In The Storm
Clarence Carter - Strokin
De La Soul - Me Myself and I
Eazy E - Nobody Move, lots more good stuff
DR.DRE - LOTS OF GOOD STUFF
Gheto Boys- Die Mother fuckers (office space), My Minds Playin' Tricks On Me
Ice Cube - Lots Of Good Stuff
NWA - Lots good
MC Breed - Ain't No Future In Yo'Frontin'
Snoop Doggy Dogg - What's my name, lots other good stuff
Trilogy - Good Time

Lots more thats just a sample of some great stuff...

Quote:

"like good and simple beats, i dont want to hear about the following:

hoes, bitches, money, violence just to be tough, drugs, material possesions, evil clowns"

What's amusing is that you listen to NWA, Ice Cube (or Ice-T) and don't want to hear music about that stuff...

Seriously though, only a couple people mentioned Gang Starr. Dude does not get the credit he and DJ Premier deserve for expanding the rap genre.

Pharell is good, too. And the Neptunes...

What about Busta Rhymes???

[quote name='jmcc']I realize now that I totally forgot Jean Grae. That was wrong of me.

edit: Who also worked under the name What What with The Herbaliser, who should also be checked out, because The Herbaliser is awesome.[/QUOTE]

I love Jean Grae, but i had to delete one of her songs yesterday because it started off "What's up with these damn white people?"

Now I like my songs and shit, and I don't mind people mentioning the black struggle, but don't go insulting my race to begin a song.

[quote name='punqsux']i feel sorry for anyone who claims any artform as a whole sucks. im really glad im not you, and i mean that with all my heart.

thanks for the 2 informitive posts guys, keep em comming, im making a list ^^[/QUOTE]

I think any cubist paintings suck. I also think that any greek drama sucks. Those are versions of an "artform", and as specific as "rap music".

I use the term art loosely. I think it is sad that you brand any version of expression "Art" and say that it all has value.

Art is like Obscenity. I can't define it, but I know it when I see it. (Or hear it)

Speaking of Obscenity:

I got my black shirt on.
I got my black gloves on.
I got my ski mask on.
This shit's been too long.

I got my twelve gauge sawed off.
I got my headlights turned off.
I'm 'bout to bust some shots off.
I'm 'bout to dust some cops off.

Cop killer, better you than me.
Cop killer, f**k police brutality!
Cop killer, I know your family's grievin'
(f**k 'em)
Cop killer, but tonight we get even.

I got my brain on hype.
Tonight'll be your night.
I got this long-assed knife,
and your neck looks just right.
My adrenaline's pumpin'.
I got my stereo bumpin'.
I'm 'bout to kill me somethin'
A pig stopped me for nuthin'!

Cop killer, better you than me.
Cop killer, f**k police brutality!
Cop killer, I know your mama's grievin'
(f**k her)
Cop killer, but tonight we get even.

Die, die, die pig, die!
F**k the police!
F**k the police!
F**k the police!
F**k the police!
F**k the police!
F**k the police!
F**k the police yeah!

From "Body Count". Art?

I say no. And by the way, it's Ice-T, not Ice Cube.

not sure if this has been said (didn't read everything) but essential rap to me is:

Digable Planets - Reachin'
Jurassic 5 - Quality Control, Power In Numbers
Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde
Jedi Mind Tricks - The Psycho-Social, Chemical, Biological, and Electro Magnetic Manipulation of Human Consciousness
Black Sheep - A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing
Madvillain - Madvillainy

There are many others but this is a good start...

sorry about mixing up the rappers.

that songs is a political response to the racist crimes cops would commit in the early 90's

i dont think you can appreciate it if you dont understand it.

also on art, there is art i dont like, alot of it. but ive yet to find any i cant appreciate.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Rodney King deserved that shit.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

That's asking for trouble - but still pretty funny.

i just thought id check back with you guys, i checked out kanye, hes ok, not totally my style but about 70/30 ratio, so better than most. sage francis rules, this is exactly what im looking for. i have some blackstar but havent gotten to listening to it yet.

did anybody mention DITC??

ithe most famous member of that group rite now is Fat Joe,

but it is also group to Big L, whom many consider legandary (myself included).

rest of the members include Lord Finesse, Diamond D, Buckwild, OC, Showbiz, AG.

oh man as someone mentioned, how could I forget Gangstarr?? Guru's gonna be at Rock the Bells too!

and yeah, dont listen to groups like Def Jux or anticon until uve already listened to a lot of rap, coz if u listen to them first and enjoy them, u will never enjoy other rap

I'd reccomend Del the Funky Homosapien. He is Ice Cube's cousin, and his album 'Both Sides of the Brain' was a classic.

again, i cant thank you guys enough for cluing me in about sage, this is one of the funniest songs ive heard in a while(gunz yo):

by the way i hold it (to the grill)
a homophobic rapper
unaware of the graphic nature of phallic symbols
tragically ironic, suckin' off each others' gats & pistols

im digging blackstar as well, im going to check out their solo stuff.

kanye west stuff
Akon - ghetto
akon - lock up
akon - im back
casiddy- im a hustla
50 cent gunit remix- hate it or love it
alchemist - hold you down
afro man- diss on everyone
Bobby valentino - slow down
Ice Cube - it was a good day
lloyd banks ft Avant - karma
Mario - let me love you REMIX ft TI and jadakiss
Tupac and scareface - smile
Terror squad - take me home

Thats a pretty good starting list.

[quote name='punqsux']sorry about mixing up the rappers.

that songs is a political response to the racist crimes cops would commit in the early 90's

i dont think you can appreciate it if you dont understand it.

also on art, there is art i dont like, alot of it. but ive yet to find any i cant appreciate.[/QUOTE]

I know that the somg didn't exist in a political vacuum, but like cryminal said, Rodney King deserved what he got. There have always been stories of white police profiling and beating black victims, but they are responsible for a dispropotionately large portion of crime. Unfortunately the Gangsta' culture is even stronger now than it was then.

Many of the problems facing the black community are self-inflicted, even Bill Cosby recognizes that. There was a point in time that "The Man" held them down, but not since the civil rights movement.

Unfortunately, black leadership (NAACP, Jesse Jackson etc.) wants to tell you who is to blame for the problems rather than fixing them.

Ugh. Sorry that wasn't a coherent argument, I get a little upset.

The only good protest rap, if you want my opinion, is public enemy, Fear of a Black Planet. I think they had an excellent message.

pfft, by eliminating all the ones including those things you listed, you basically took out almost all of the really good rap.

thats like saying i wanna know a good rock band... but not one that has a guitar, drum, or bass guitar in it...

[quote name='Cracka']pfft, by eliminating all the ones including those things you listed, you basically took out almost all of the really good rap.

thats like saying i wanna know a good rock band... but not one that has a guitar, drum, or bass guitar in it...[/QUOTE]
i didnt want to make it too easy on you guys because there is the simple fact that i really dislike the majority of rap. but the rap i like i really like. i didnt want to get replys like "check out fiddys new jam" or "jay-z rulez!!"

thus far what ive checked out have been good, so thanks guys ^^

[quote name='punqsux']i didnt want to make it too easy on you guys because there is the simple fact that i really dislike the majority of rap. but the rap i like i really like. i didnt want to get replys like "check out fiddys new jam" or "jay-z rulez!!"

thus far what ive checked out have been good, so thanks guys ^^[/QUOTE]

For the record, even if you're not too much into Jay-Z's later stuff, you should still definitely check out his first album, Reasonable Doubt. It has some absolutely fantastic stuff.

Notorious BIG-Ready to Die
Nas-Illmatic (mentioned many times)
Wu-Tang Clan-36 Chambers
Gangstarr-Any album(DJ premier is awesome!)
KRS-One-Almost any album, except his last two
Ice Cube-Anything but the war and peace albums
Tupac-Assorted songs on different albums(Pour out a little liquor, how long will they mourn me, brenda got a baby, wonder why they call u bitch)
Gza-Liquid swords
LL Cool J-Early stuff
NWA-all albums except for the last one(I liked it, but it's mostly about fuckin hoes:))
Outkast-Aquemini
Jay-z-reasonable doubt
Geto Boys-some okay stuff
Pretty much all I can think of now. Enjoy!

[quote name='help1']kanye west stuff
Akon - ghetto
akon - lock up
akon - im back
casiddy- im a hustla
50 cent gunit remix- hate it or love it
alchemist - hold you down
afro man- diss on everyone
Bobby valentino - slow down
Ice Cube - it was a good day
lloyd banks ft Avant - karma
Mario - let me love you REMIX ft TI and jadakiss
Tupac and scareface - smile
Terror squad - take me home

Thats a pretty good starting list.[/QUOTE]

Ignore this man.

He may be awesome in video games, but his music taste is fucking horrible.

And Jay-Z is fucking quality.
He's the only wrapper I've ever heard that can rap about bitches and money and get away with it.
How can you not like Big Pimpin'?

[quote name='Rich']Ignore this man.

He may be awesome in video games, but his music taste is fucking horrible.[/QUOTE]

It Was a Good Day is the only decent thing on that list. :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']It Was a Good Day is the only decent thing on that list. :lol:[/QUOTE]

And Kanye West, as long as it isn't post-college dropout.

[quote name='Rich']And Kanye West, as long as it isn't post-college dropout.[/QUOTE]

True. I read from the bottom up and must have stopped before I got to Kanye. :lol:

The Best of 2pac:
Never had a friend like me, how long will they mourn me, dear mama, keep ya head up, changes, never call u bitch again, brendas got a baby, me against the world, so many tears, can u get away, life goes on, do for love, only god can judge me, tradin war stories, hit em up, wonda y they call u bitch...most of all eyez on me cd, krazy, hell razor, i wonder if heaven go a ghetto, god bless the dead, runnin(em's version), 1/2 of still i rise cd, lil homies, breathin, happy home, all out, better dayz, my block, there u go, who do u believe in, staring through my rearview, hail mary, made niggaz, i aint mad at cha, the loyal to the game cd is garbage but the best of the tracks are: loyal to the game, black cotton, ghetto gospel, dpnt u trust me

i stopped liking jay z after volume 2, but his talent is great, especially his great ability to copy Biggie lines word for word, but i only respect him cuz he doesnt write his songs and spit and make hits, dont think he'd be that great in a freestyle battle though

and i dont think anyone mentioned Big Pun, very lyrical

[quote name='greyzieoriental']and i dont think anyone mentioned Big Pun, very lyrical[/QUOTE]

Yeah, lyrical in the makes shitty raps kinda why.

"Steal that gucci purse and slap that bitch in the face"

How insightful.

bread's done
Back