Reccomendations for new PC??

Dufran3

CAGiversary!
I am looking to build a new PC. My budget is in the ballpark of $2500. I am looking to use an Intel proc. with an ATI video card. Also would like to use water cooling. I haven't used water cooling on any of my past PC builds, but wanted to see if I could do it with this one. Here are my old PC spec's, any recommendations??

OLD PC:
- Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHZ
- 4GB RAM DDR2
- ATI HD 4850 512MB
- 2 150 GB HDD's in RAID 0
- Creative SB X-Fi Sound Card

NEW PC:

Was thinking of adding the Killer One Card.

Thanks for all the help and recommendations

That's kind of tame hardware, to be investing in water cooling for (then again, I never think that water cooling is worthwhile).

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']That's kind of tame hardware, to be investing in water cooling for (then again, I never think that water cooling is worthwhile).[/QUOTE]

Agreed, water-cooling is a waste of time nowadays unless overclocking is important to you.

OC the 8500 to 3.8 or 4.0, buy a $290 5850 and wait. Maybe even a SLI/Crossfire. Your system will be within 10-20% speed of that $2500 machine... Right now there is simply no reason to get quad CPU's except a few (very few) specific programs. PC's are int he "lull" they alwasy get in. we are a year (or two probebly) from the next big JUMP. performance increases now are just intel and AMD biding time and trying to convince you you need it.

Of course this all assumes you are talking gameing. If you have some stuff that takes advantage of Quads (compiling, video editing, ripping large amounts of data) then an upgrade maybe isnt to out of the question. Also saving money on power (the new stuff is a bit better,not alot, but some).

I myslef normally upgrade (complete or peices) every year rouhgly. but looking at specs and benchs (my system at home is a game machine) I cant justify the cah right now for the small improvment. its hard not to bling the machine out.. but I'm not blinging for Blings sake (does anybody use the term BLING anymore?)

just one tweakers Opinion, nothing more.

This is what i have so far....

Cart Item List:
Qty.Product DescriptionSavingsTotal Price1
20-145-222-01.jpg

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Item #:N82E16820145222
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
$20.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
$159.991
13-188-039-16.jpg

EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #:N82E16813188039
Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy
-$30.00 Instant
$30.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
$299.99
$269.991
35-100-007-02.jpg

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
Item #:N82E16835100007
Return Policy: Consumable Item Refund Only Return Policy

$9.991
29-102-019-05.jpg

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional 70SB088600002 Sound Card
Item #:N82E16829102019
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

$159.991
11-119-138-21.jpg

COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Computer Case
Item #:N82E16811119138
-$30.00 Instant
$199.99
$169.991
14-103-084-02.jpg

DIAMOND Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 5870PE51G Video Card
Item #:N82E16814103084
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy

$419.991
19-115-066-02.jpg

Intel Core i7-970 3.2GHz LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor
Item #:N82E16819115066
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

$899.991
17-371-009-12.jpg

Antec TPQ-850 850W Continuous Power "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply
Item #:N82E16817371009
-$30.00 Instant
$20.00 Mail-in Rebate
$179.99
$149.991
33-189-002-10.jpg

VisionTek Killer 2100 Gaming Network Card
Item #:N82E16833189002

$129.99Grand Total:$2,369.91

Biggest issue is that the motherboard has only 1 pci-e 1x slot, but both the sound card and nic use 1x....not sure what to do about that yet....thoughts?

[quote name='Dufran3']TGrand Total:$2,369.91

Biggest issue is that the motherboard has only 1 pci-e 1x slot, but both the sound card and nic use 1x....not sure what to do about that yet....thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Very expensive.

For more in depth info you're better off posting that to tomshardware.com they have a huge forum for suggestions and analyzing system builds.

better in what ways? First thing I noticed is a Gigabyte board, which I have had in the past, like 7 years ago, and I hated it! Also, the Proc. on that build isn't as beefy....why is it better? Not trying to be a @$$, just want to know why you think it is. Again thanks for everyone giving their input.

Don't throw your money away on a Killer NIC. They're garbage and do nothing to improve performance despite their claims.

[quote name='Dufran3']
Biggest issue is that the motherboard has only 1 pci-e 1x slot, but both the sound card and nic use 1x....not sure what to do about that yet....thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I would just not get a sound card. Many modern mobo's have excelllent sound. I wouldn't worry about adding extra stress to an i7 processor. They are so damn powerful. But honestly, with your budget, I would pick up a mobo that has two pci-e x1 slots if you really want both.

Well the EVGA board has some good marks, (some bad too) and one reason he mentioned the gigabyte board is most major review sites list it as one of the best. After all untill we buy somthing all we have is reviews to go by. gigabyte, much like any other motherboard has had ups and downs, atm they are pretty good. Personally I have used pretty much any brand board has had a few stinkers. If you are looking a pure preformance and bencmarks the gig has a slight edge over the EVGA (never notice it in a million years) and there a re a couple boards even faster thent he Gig (asus and ...well you get the picture). If you liek the featuers of the EVGA, go with it. they are known to have great Tech support, and the board you listed has some good numbers and reviews.

I cant see anythign wrong with tyour build but he video card price of $169 (i will take a couple at that price :) ) And I would ahve to go with the rest, the NIC and sound card may be a waste of money, but if you want um, no biggy, the sound should be a bit better and the nic too, but in the "without tools you canty notice it" area. Build what you want, we are just giving opinions.

Gigabyte has horrible RMA customer support, so basically for peace of mind I would go with a company that is great at that. Not saying Gigabyte is bad, my current mobo is gigabyte and I love it.

to the OP: Honestly your whole build just screams spending money just because. You got some great hardware picked out but here's what I'd do. Keep the i7 x6 if you want, because that thing's a beast. Or you could go with a regular x4 and get a good air cooler and that thing will fly regardless(with a hefty OC, hence the good aircooler). You'll curbstomp almost anything even with an i7 quad. I would ditch the NIC and the Sound card honestly, and get a 5970 or something. Or, here's another thing I would do also. I would get a GTX 460 and then when ATI refreshes its high end cards with southern islands I would jump onto the flagship single GPU there. Or even just use the 460 until their true next architecture comes out after SI.

Your choice but PC hardware ages so damn fast I have a feeling you'll kick yourself if you blow that much without atleast planning for the future some. Look at it like this. If you go with a GTX 460 or something and ditch the NIC and soundcard that gives you about 500 to put towards a much higher end GPU a year from now or so. GTX 460 isn't really high end, but it's not exactly what I would call weak.

[quote name='Dufran3']better in what ways? First thing I noticed is a Gigabyte board, which I have had in the past, like 7 years ago, and I hated it! [/QUOTE] You can't judge a company by what they did 7 years ago, especially when technology is in play.

I'd bet that board had crappy capacitors, that was about the time frame when China was shipping shitty capacitors to all the motherboard makers, and a lot of bad boards were made because of it. I had an MSI board right around that same time frame that went out on me. The caps started leaking. A lot of the high end motherboard makers now use solid capacitors, they tend to be more reliable.

i glanced at that list and thought WTF??? hes trying to sli fermis in an htpc case?? haha

id make sure a 750w psu is enough, id go higher.

That PSU should be enough, but I'd want a bit more overhead. But other than that it seems fine, just get a big roomy case and you'll be good.

Don't waste your money on a soundcard with an i7 unless you're some diehard audiophile. Onboard will sound just as good and you're not going to strain that CPU lol.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029

That CPU cooler is meh, overpriced and crappy. The Dark Knight/Scythe Mugen/Megahelms/etc is much better.

Also it would probably be better to get 2 Samsung F3's in RAID than those, you can get like 5 TB or more for that price. Just get an SSD instead and a cheaper sound-card ( most expensive ones are some "F1 FATALITY HURR DUR GAMING SHIT" that goes for headphones too, and sometimes keyboards/mouses/headsets/speakers )

tomshadrware also is meh too, if you aren't 100% sure just go here, I've joined other tech sites and they were meh, it took DAYS to solve my issue on others.

http://www.overclock.net/

You can also use coupons from Slickdeals/ joining newegg and geting several $ off, and using Bing cashback

bread's done
Back