Recommend me a Good Anime!

starboyk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Sooo... I've viewed a vast majority of the pretentiously 'mainstream' anime, but have little clue as what to watch next. Read a crapton of manga, and now have the same pain there- hell, even read scanlations just to milk it a little more. What I'm looking for are good recommendations on stuff that's out there that I may have missed. FLCL, FMP, Planetes, Gantz (ack), Samurai Champloo, Witch Hunter Robin- seen those and many more. Only stipulation is that I'm in search of completed series'; none of that ongoing-for-fortythreethousand-episodes crap. Absurdist humor highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Cowboy Bebop is a must, as is a show that greatly influenced it and many other shows, Lupin the Third (only the second series is dubbed in English).

Love Hina both the anime and the manga. Great series. Halarious

Ep1-25 then summer special then winter special then ep 26-28 (if I am rembering right) I am sure you could confirm on a wiki

I am sure you seen all these but in case

Ghost in the shell
Ninja scroll
just about anything Miyazaki
pom poko was good
Wolf Brigade
Metropolis
Casshern (intresting live action move that shares a lot of anime like story and effects)
Dirty pair (older stuff)
Animatrix

[quote name='floormat']Love Hina both the anime and the manga. Great series. Halarious

Ep1-25 then summer special then winter special then ep 26-28 (if I am rembering right) I am sure you could confirm on a wiki

I am sure you seen all these but in case

Ghost in the shell
Ninja scroll
just about anything Miyazaki
pom poko was good
Wolf Brigade
Metropolis
Casshern (intresting live action move that shares a lot of anime like story and effects)
Dirty pair (older stuff)
Animatrix[/QUOTE]

Own, seen, Own(x5), haven't seen, seen, Own, interesting, heard of, Own. Thanks for the picks!

[quote name='peterhql']oh, not for the faint of heart i guess.[/QUOTE]
Nah, this heart could handle it. It's the undeveloped characters that were so two-dimensional I felt my own heart explode. Gave up halfway through thanks to the gratuitous fanservice and tremendously little plot/character development. If it gets better after ep 13, let me know- cause as it was, I was just bored with it. Thanks for the input though!

Also, looking into Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, Denno Coil, and Beck. Gad Guard and Monster are interesting ones, but (yes!- this is exactly what I wanted!!!) all of these I've never heard of! Have seen Cowboy Bebop; if not for it, I don't feel I would have been as involved with anime as I am. Well... it and... Escaflowne... I love the score, and the rest of the show works splendidly. Any more ideas!- This might be a good place to drop ideas for other like myself!

If you're looking for absurdist humor then look no further than Excel Saga.
It's a 26 episode series that ruthlessly and hilariously satirizes the anime industry. The plot revolves around a cliche warlord and his incompetent cute agent girl on a quest to rule the world... by conquering an insignificant Japanese town to start.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K50l-9RNBo8[/media]

Also I'd recommend Kemonozume.
It's a series from the animation director of Crayon Shin-chan, but very very different from Shin-chan. It's an action series about a world inhabited by ravenous monsters hidden in human bodies and the travails of the government-sanctioned group that hunts them. The series has a wild and original art style and a well-developed story to go along with it.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiSFftcwbxQ[/media]

Bondage Game
No, not really. Elfen Lied is good, Cromartie High School is hilarious. I enjoyed Ikki Tousen but thats hit and miss with people, plus only Season 1 is available in America (13 episodes) and I haven't heard when/if Season 2 is coming here. Season 1 does more or less end it though, better than some stuff ends atleast.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Monster[/QUOTE]
Yes, this.

I'm always amazed at some of the mindless trash people bring up in these threads, too... I mean, c'mon, Burst Angel, Elfen Lied, Love Hina, and Ikki Tousen? Barf.

Trigun...and Fullmetal Alchemist is still worth a view, imho, if you haven't seen it already (although it suddenly became pretentious and maintstream since day 1 it was licensed in the USA). For whoever suggested Monster, glad to see someone else enjoyed such an underappreciated show :applause:.

[quote name='floormat']
Casshern (intresting live action move that shares a lot of anime like story and effects)[/quote]

Casshan was originally an anime series in the 70s, though I don't really recommend digging it up unless you really like watching robots fighting.

[quote name='floormat']
[/quote]
I want to see that really badly, but I haven't been able to find a dubbed DVD.

[quote name='darkcecil32']Trigun...and Fullmetal Alchemist is still worth a view, imho, if you haven't seen it already (although it suddenly became pretentious and maintstream since day 1 it was licensed in the USA). For whoever suggested Monster, glad to see someone else enjoyed such an underappreciated show :applause:.[/QUOTE]

;) True, but I do love me some Vash...now only if Dark Horse could get the license for book frikkin twelve of Maximum! FMA has got a pretty tight story to it, but, yeah...so much of it everywhere these days :( I'm seeing alot on this 'Monster' show- I'll move it up on my list of 'To Get'. Excel Saga- I feel like an idiot for forgetting all about it!- I'd wanted to see that one for ages. Thanks!

[quote name='georox']Elfen Lied is good,
[/quote]

That is not for the faint of heart (blood and gore, nudity). But it is excellent.

[quote name='Killer Rabbit']That is not for the faint of heart (blood and gore, nudity). But it is excellent.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Saikano, Gankutsuou, and Gungrave.[/quote]

Yes for sure at Gankutsuou (if you can still find it). I need to get the rest of the series volumes. Gungrave is great as well and I'm still happy I bought it during 2006's Rightstuf Holiday sale when they actually put up good stuff to get.

[quote name='squid']Suzumiya.[/QUOTE]

Ah. Looks plenty strange; will do! Ever see Ouran? Weird... hilarious kind of weird. The manga's stranger yet.

My pics (sorry about the horrible descriptions, look up the actual animes they are really good)..

Monster- A more murder mystery type anime with a dark storyline.

Dennou Coil- A mixture of comedy with some cool ideas (guys wear glasses that they can hack into an alternate reality).

Black Lagoon- This is balls to the walls action. If you like a good action anime with loads of death and destruction you can't go wrong here. (actually my current avatar is Benny from Black Lagoon).

Pumpkin Scissors- A great anime that takes place between world war one and two. It has a pretty good story to it.

Speed Grapher- Guy kills stuff with a camera and take on pretty freaking sweet badasses.

Flag- Flag takes place during a modern war but whats different about this anime is it done through the eyes of a reporter. What that means is the whole animation is like done through a reporter so you will get video camera footage or pictures instead of just one drawn story. Really cool idea.

[quote name='Killer Rabbit']That is not for the faint of heart (blood and gore, nudity). But it is excellent.[/quote]

If you have internet, chances are you've seen worse. If not, WTF are you wasting your internet tubes on?

[quote name='starboyk']Ah. Looks plenty strange; will do! Ever see Ouran? Weird... hilarious kind of weird. The manga's stranger yet.[/quote]

Oh it's plenty strange, especially if you watch it in the originally aired order, rather than the chronological order it was put in for the DVD release. It's a blast; I haven't met a person yet who hasn't fallen in love with it.
I'll definitely check out Ouran, I am out of things to read currently.

[quote name='georox']If you have internet, chances are you've seen worse. If not, WTF are you wasting your internet tubes on?[/quote]

It's not a question of whether or not you've seen worse before; it's a question of whether or not the violence and nudity bothers you. It doesn't bother me, although I do consider it to be a bit excessive at times. However, I felt that the presence of blood and nudity was in sufficient levels to require a short warning.

Just to be clear, Elfen Lied isn't hentai. Most of the nudity is not gratuitous. And the violence is pretty much on the level of what you'd see in the Godfather.

love hina

great teacher onizuka

ouran high school host club

trigun

initial D

chobits

ive heard good things about mushishi but i havent started it yet and its hard to find since the rights were purchased by an american company and many places wont host it due to the probability of being sued.

naruto is cool but some episodes are so damn boring and are moslty filler between the main storyline.

theres a devil may cry anime you may want to check out. its short but looks cool i just havent bothered to watch it yet.

hellsing (vampire and demons)
bleach (soulslayer takes on ghosts)
hajime no ippo (boxing anime)
Trigun (1st anime series I really watched)
Neon Genesis Evangelon (only mech anime I ever liked)
Cowboy Bebop

My personal favorite is Giant Robo (OVA) - The Day the Earth Stood Still.

513BB76PNKL._SS500_.jpg

Yu Yu Hakusho, 112 Episodes, 4 Sagas, fucking Awesome.

One of the very few series that is awesome in English. Here's two non-spoiler clips from midway through the series (yes, Kuwabara is characteristically that lame, but no one else):

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=TkE5xJZrs9k&feature=related[/media]
[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=VkdbGBp6DH0&feature=related[/media]
~HotShotX

Ah yes, Yu Yu Hakusho. One of my favorites from the time I first saw it on Cartoon Network. You're right, the English dub is one of the few excellent ones. I would indeed recommend it.

in b4 Kirin calls every suggestion lame and terrible

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Yes, this.

I'm always amazed at some of the mindless trash people bring up in these threads, too... I mean, c'mon, Burst Angel, Elfen Lied, Love Hina, and Ikki Tousen? Barf.[/QUOTE]
Ohhhh too late : (

And a hilarious yet cool fight scene (the comedy is pretty consistent throughout the series, though not as derogatory):

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=_i9QvVOvURI&feature=related[/media]

And a good conversation between Yusuke and Genkai (who is voiced by the actor who voices Freiza from DBZ):

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=SWc2VrKiL_4&feature=related[/MEDIA]

~HotShotX

[quote name='crystalklear64']in b4 Kirin calls every suggestion lame and terrible[/quote]

Crystalklear, your avatar fucking disturbs the shit out of me. :)

~HotShotX

[quote name='crystalklear64']in b4 Kirin calls every suggestion lame and terrible[/QUOTE]
Well he does have a point. All the stuff he mentioned is complete garbage. Ikki Tousen? Holy shit.

You want good stuff?

My personal favourite is Azumanga Daioh (hence, Azumangaman), but it has somewhat limited appeal.

You do want Fighting Spirit. That does not need to be discussed. Hopefully, you already own Fighting Spirit, but you can get all 15 DVDs at Rightstuf.com right now for cheap (although it'll cost you 100 something because, well 6.99*15...)

Boxing is quite boring to me (80% of Fighting Spirit at least) but the show is phenomenal. Its long, so it'll keep you busy for a long time. Kickass action, loveable characters, simple but unwieldingly awesome plot, you'll want it all.

You also want Haibane Renmei. HR is a really beautiful show, all 13 episodes of it. Its liscened by Geneon (RIP) so it'll be very, very difficult to get a hold of if you don't bite now. But you'll want to. Certainly not action though, more of a fantastically portrayed slice of life show.

Well, actually, BOTH shows are Geneon (Azumanga Daioh is ADV Films) so you'll need to bite on both soon!

Of course, if you have both, say so, and I'll shoot plenty more recs your way.

EDIT: And a shortlist of other series you want to buy;
Full Metal Panic? FUMOFFU- You want humour? Good luck finding something that makes you laugh this hard (maybe Haruhi)
Dai-Guard- kick-ass Mecha series thats insanely cheap and vastly underrated. Greatest OP of all time
Princess Nine- solid series about a girls baseball team. Don't be fooled by the name, its really not girly at all
Gun X Sword- stunning animation, solid plot, action and characters, with hot ladies (if thats what your after). Its a good series nobody really looks at
Kamichu- its relaxed, and a bit slow, but its a nice slice-of-life show if thats what your after. Shonen this is not.
Last Exile- I'm sure you've seen it (few haven't-or at least they've heard of it) but its good. Real good.
Genshiken- fun little show about Otaku. hardcore nerd? if so, check it out

DO NOT BUY:
Ikki Tousen
Sin: The Movie
There are PLENTY more, but I'm not in the mood to list such garbage

I also whole heartedly recommend Outlaw Star (also in english), only 26 episodes, but pretty enjoyable and a very strong cult following.

The best way to present the series to you on youtube is through music video:

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=I3NkjB3Gw_g[/MEDIA]

~HotShotX

bread's done
Back